Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts
Default Operating costs?

There are several schools/colleges with pools and grand athletic facilities that can be used for cost comparisons, both building and operating costs. Paying $23K for somebody to develop similar figures is a waste of (taxpayer) $$.
If Moultonborough was founded in 1777, then the 250th Anniversary plans should be getting underway soon. Most towns have a small operating surplus at the end of the year, and Town Meeting votes as to what to do with that $$. Usually, the vote is to reduce taxes, but you could also vote to establish a capital reserve fund to build a recreation facility.
Of course, if such a facility were reasonably financially viable, many towns would have one, not just colleges and prep schools. (Watch and see what the colleges build when students start getting $10,000 loan forgiveness and tuition skyrockets.)
Old 08-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Maintenance costs? Really?

I tried to respond to neckdweller awhile ago, but got knocked offline….maybe there’s a message there! Anyhow, those pushing the HUB have no interest in worrying themselves about maintenance costs. Nor are they worrying about user fees, memberships, and all that mundane stuff that should be part of the plan. I guess that’s one of the requirements for membership in the “Entitlement Club”….having the taxpayers willingly open their wallets for everything…..sort of an offshoot of college loan forgiveness. Anyhow, my mind travels to a future decade, and I look askance at the piles of timber, broken bricks, and other debris where the Community Centre of Moultonborough used to stand, a place we just had to have, but once the magic and glitter wore off and people got bored, it began a journey into obsolescence. Does that sound overly dramatic? Perhaps, but I can visualize something similar happening…..and the costs will continue. The loan must be paid.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #3
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
There are several schools/colleges with pools and grand athletic facilities that can be used for cost comparisons, both building and operating costs. Paying $23K for somebody to develop similar figures is a waste of (taxpayer) $$.
If Moultonborough was founded in 1777, then the 250th Anniversary plans should be getting underway soon. Most towns have a small operating surplus at the end of the year, and Town Meeting votes as to what to do with that $$. Usually, the vote is to reduce taxes, but you could also vote to establish a capital reserve fund to build a recreation facility.
Of course, if such a facility were reasonably financially viable, many towns would have one, not just colleges and prep schools. (Watch and see what the colleges build when students start getting $10,000 loan forgiveness and tuition skyrockets.)
I believe that the $23k is coming from the established capital reserve fund.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I believe that the $23k is coming from the established capital reserve fund.
Aren't those funds used to keep bond prices down?
Old 08-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
John Mercier

Not really.

Think of it like setting a little aside every year to purchase a new vehicle instead of waiting till you need one and then financing the whole thing.

With the CRF you are paying ahead and earning interest (but usually losing to inflation), with a bond you are borrowing then repaying with devalued dollars.

Usually enough CRF gets used with the bonding to make the payment seem much lower.

Just various groups have realized that the CRF is a lower voting threshold than the bonding; so it has become much more popular.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread