Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
Trail Goer

Default Sugar Shacks

With the warmer days and cold nights upon us, I'm just curious if this will trigger an early season to the maple sugar season. I was speaking to someone about it this past weekend, they told me when you start getting warm sunny days reaching into the 40's and dropping back below freezing at night, that is prime temperature fluctuation for maple trees to awaken from their winter dormancy. I don't know anyone with a sugar shack, but I am curious to know if the sap has started flowing.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Goer View Post
With the warmer days and cold nights upon us, I'm just curious if this will trigger an early season to the maple sugar season. I was speaking to someone about it this past weekend, they told me when you start getting warm sunny days reaching into the 40's and dropping back below freezing at night, that is prime temperature fluctuation for maple trees to awaken from their winter dormancy. I don't know anyone with a sugar shack, but I am curious to know if the sap has started flowing.
My business partner has a small sugar shack operation in Lee, NH. They have won awards for their syrup. He started putting in their taps last weekend. It is definitely flowing on the seacoast.

They can be found under Hook Meadow Lodge on facebook.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Trail Goer (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:54 PM   #3
John Mercier

It has.
Some was even flowing in December due to the unseasonal weather.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:54 AM   #4
Trail Goer

Wow! I had to google that one, I didn't think it was possible, but you can tap trees in the fall after the leaves have dropped. You just need below freezing temperatures at night and above freezing during the day. It sounds like the syrup produced in the fall is generally not as sweet and most don't even bother collecting it. I'm not sure what the difference is and why the sap would be so different from Autumn vs late-winter and early-spring. I know and have known for a while that once the sap reaches the buds the sap changes and you don't want to keep collecting it after that.
Generally speaking (I know this varies depending on location and season): Grade A is late February, Grade B is early March, Grade C is late March and Grade D is early April. I've been told Grade D is generally reserved for recipes because the sugar content is so strong and not something you wouldn't typically serve with breakfast.

Last edited by Trail Goer; 02-13-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post:
Grant (02-13-2024), Pineedles (02-13-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:56 PM   #5
John Mercier

Multiple species, multiple flavor profiles, and even enhanced versions that includes everything from fermentation to blends.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Grant (02-13-2024)
Sponsored Links