Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2023, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnielove

Default Condo Insurance

We were dropped from our personal insurance which we had in addition to the condo policy insurance. Plumber caused leak for incorrectly shutting down for winter. It was a nightmare between both companies.
Looking for a new company for personal property only.
Also contacted NH Insurance Dept. they were not helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help in finding a decent company.
Winnielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Suggest you visit www.insurance24.com in Plymouth, close to Market Basket and the ReStore.

The woman who runs this business is very good.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:06 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

If the condo is not your primary home, you should consider placing the condo with the same company as your primary. Then there are no questions about which company covers property that is stolen, damaged off either site, or a liability issue that could come under either policy.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Winnielove (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 09:26 PM   #4
Woody38

Default Amica

You could give AMICA a call. We have Amica for everything which lowers the premiums. Auto, homeowners, condos, umbrella. I do not know the number off hand, but you can look Amica up in NH.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:36 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

Triple A (American Automobile Assoc.) should be willing to write you a policy - just stop by any of their offices or give them a call.

I think it may help if you are a member.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2023, 05:20 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
You could give AMICA a call. We have Amica for everything which lowers the premiums. Auto, homeowners, condos, umbrella. I do not know the number off hand, but you can look Amica up in NH.

Is that one policy or all separate policies? I always thought how nice it would be to have one policy for all cars, boats, houses, umbrella etc. for the year. I have insurances bills dribbling in and out all year long.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:12 PM   #7
Woody38

Default Amica

These are separate policies. We have auto pay where they charge my credit
card monthly. I do not know the formula they use, but it varies. Anywhere from
$299 to around $400. I suppose depending on the premiums as they renew.
Surely better than paying the premium on renewal. Also there is no additional charge for using the card. They will not insure my boat since it is too old. I think a boat has to be less than 10 years old.

Hope this helps.

_______________________________________-

Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 02:08 PM   #8
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Is that one policy or all separate policies? I always thought how nice it would be to have one policy for all cars, boats, houses, umbrella etc. for the year. I have insurances bills dribbling in and out all year long.
I have several policies with USAA. (You can't get a "multi-policy discount" if you have only one policy. They are all billed in one consolidated monthly bill. That bill is on autopay direct from my bank, no CC involved. Same with Eversource and many other companies I do business with. I have credit cards that are "dedicated" to certain purposes (camp, daily activity, building maintenance, etc) and those are all on autopay as well. I like my AMEX account because there is no daily limit. With some cards, if your vendors all charge on the same day, there is a daily cap and that can be a nuisance if something is denied for going over the cap. My vendors have remarked favorably on this feature as well. BTW, my wife has cards that are all totally separate from mine. If we are traveling and one of us loses a wallet, we aren't in a panic situation waiting for replacement cards.
Old 12-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #9
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I have several policies with USAA. (You can't get a "multi-policy discount" if you have only one policy. They are all billed in one consolidated monthly bill. That bill is on autopay direct from my bank, no CC involved. Same with Eversource and many other companies I do business with. I have credit cards that are "dedicated" to certain purposes (camp, daily activity, building maintenance, etc) and those are all on autopay as well. I like my AMEX account because there is no daily limit. With some cards, if your vendors all charge on the same day, there is a daily cap and that can be a nuisance if something is denied for going over the cap. My vendors have remarked favorably on this feature as well. BTW, my wife has cards that are all totally separate from mine. If we are traveling and one of us loses a wallet, we aren't in a panic situation waiting for replacement cards.
But wouldn't it be nice to have one bill for everything?
Old 12-30-2023, 06:48 PM   #10
nj2nh

How about Morin in Alton? We had to change insurance and they did not hesitate. I think the provider is Chubb.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-09-2024, 05:10 PM   #11
tummyman

Long story, but my insurance company that I have used for over 53 years was sold and the new company will not insure persoanl lines. I researched USAA but found their prices high for the coverages.One other that I quoted refused to insure my NH property because it was lakefront. Maybe they were concerned about lake high tide? Whatever. Decided to get quotes via local broker instead. Found serious gaps in my prior coverage, home values way to low, etc. etc. In the end, they were fabulous to deal with. Now have my NH auto, house, umbrella, MA "second" home and boats all through this one broker. Totally one stop shopping! Yes, I elected to pay for it all at one time (other options were available) via my credit card just to get away from the prior policies that expired at different dates, etc. I was constantly getting big insurance bills. In the end I have better coverage and less cost. A winner for sure. I ended up with Cross Insurance in Laconia. If interested, call Colleen at 603-737-8013 and say you saw this on the Winni Forum ! She is excellent to work with.

Last edited by tummyman; 01-09-2024 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Typo
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-10-2024), Biggd (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 05:47 PM   #12
Descant

Thanks for letting us know. I love stories with happy endings.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:01 AM   #13
camp guy

Default Condo insurance

That is a great story, tummyman, and a story I think many can identify with. When my wife and I settled in Wolfeboro, we had to change most of our insurance coverage, and we decided to "go local" with an Agency in Town that we could walk into and speak with our agent if the need arose. The idea of "1-800..." insurance coverage didn't appeal to us at all. The insurance company may be somewhere else, but our Agency and agent are in Town, readily available. I feel the same way about mail order pharmacy. I like the idea of having the local pharmacist fill my prescriptions, and I like the fact that my local pharmacy employs local people, again, not some "1-800..." stranger. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but, then again, I am old.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:16 PM   #14
tummyman

I find that trying to buy local can be very rewarding. Examples... When i need a car part, I prefer going to the folks at NAPA in Meredith vs my kids saying just go on line and order at Amazon. Much more important to me to talk to the folks there at NAPA who stand behind their products. When I need gas, I could go to a station with 10-15 pumps anad maybe save a few cent. But i prefer to go to my local station where I know the owner and can say Hi when I pay. And i know when I have an issue and need his help, he will be there. When my wife wants sweatshirts for the grandkids, we shop at the top floor in Mils Falls..owner is very nice, helpful, and products are far better than Amazon. Plus she is there if we need to exchange something for a size. This same reasoning was why I chose Cross Insurance vs USAA or other big name companies...I felt the person I dealt with will be there should the need arise. And they know me...not some call center miles away who have no clue who I am other than a name on a computer screen and who I may not even be able to understand. Yes, local wins out almost every time !
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #15
sky's

as a contractor hear in the lakes region for 20 years i also like hearing people supporting local business. its the back bone of any community. i laugh at the people bringing in outside help ive seen there work and when things start going wrong because of there "shooty" work the locals arent going to fix there mess. great story and thanks for sharing. REAL NEW ENGLAND PEOPLE TRUST AND SUPPORT THERE LOCALS AND NEIGHBORS. happy new year to all
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:39 PM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
as a contractor hear in the lakes region for 20 years i also like hearing people supporting local business. its the back bone of any community. i laugh at the people bringing in outside help ive seen there work and when things start going wrong because of there "shooty" work the locals arent going to fix there mess. great story and thanks for sharing. REAL NEW ENGLAND PEOPLE TRUST AND SUPPORT THERE LOCALS AND NEIGHBORS. happy new year to all
Funny you post this, just recently a homeowner had a garage built by a non local builder. They ended up having to hire a local contractor to tear most of it down and start over. I guess the first builder didn't do much right.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 07:13 PM   #17
John Mercier

Quick and inexpensive the first time...

Did they build to plans? Did the customer have a great contract?
Did the customer verify they were building to the plans?
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:24 AM   #18
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Quick and inexpensive the first time...

Did they build to plans? Did the customer have a great contract?
Did the customer verify they were building to the plans?
I doubt they had a GREAT contract as the customers were very upset. I talked to the builder and he said it was a disaster.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:31 AM   #19
sky's

its human nature to take the lowest price. i did last year when i bought loom for my new house i took the lowest price and guess what it was crap. ended up buying at Bruce Robinsons place in Tamworth and now i have the nicest lawn ever. good contractors will put themselves out there so the homeowner can do there "homework" please folks check out my new web site skyscarpentry.com
we will be adding reviews shortly as it is only 1 week old. best wishes
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote