Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Bike Week Officially moved to 8/22-8/30

https://www.facebook.com/LaconiaMCWeek/

Tonight, the Laconia City Council voted to postpone this year's Rally to August 22nd-30th, 2020. The Laconia Motorcycle Week Association wishes continued good health and safety to all fellow riders.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-28-2020), Top-Water (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
https://www.facebook.com/LaconiaMCWeek/

Tonight, the Laconia City Council voted to postpone this year's Rally to August 22nd-30th, 2020. The Laconia Motorcycle Week Association wishes continued good health and safety to all fellow riders.
Man, couldn't they just cancel the damn thing?
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
ahhhh...no
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Why would you want them to do that? Assuming all is OK by then.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default .... Bike Week moves from late spring to summer

That last week in August, August 22, 2020 - August 30, 2020 actually seems like a better time slot than the second week in June 8, 2019 - June 16, 2019 because summer goes from June 21 -September 21, so Bike Week 2020 is now a SUMMER EVENT and not a late spring event.

Here, here, a big 'round of applause for this new summer Bike Week-August 2020!
Old 04-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
exlakesregioner

I guess motorcycle week is much more important than all the families that usually come up to the area to end the summer that week. Will all their reservations be null and void to make room for the bikers? I'm sure the Mount Co is wondering how to recoop the money they will lose from the shutdown of the area to cars and regular vacationers. Should have moved bike week to after labor day and had another great weekend before the leaf peepers invade the area.
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to exlakesregioner For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-29-2020), jbolty (04-28-2020), rick35 (04-29-2020), Trail Goer (04-30-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlakesregioner View Post
I guess motorcycle week is much more important than all the families that usually come up to the area to end the summer that week. Will all their reservations be null and void to make room for the bikers? I'm sure the Mount Co is wondering how to recoop the money they will lose from the shutdown of the area to cars and regular vacationers. Should have moved bike week to after labor day and had another great weekend before the leaf peepers invade the area.
That week is historically slow around here, college kids have headed back and many primary schools start before Labor Day
Old 04-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Garcia

This will be interesting. Bike week is usually pretty jam packed and well attended, but takes place in June before the real tourist season begins. I find the end of August busy with families/tourists before schools get going again. If both groups turn out in large numbers, as typically happens in June and August, it will be a good time for me to hunker down on the island and avoid the masses. I'll be interested to see how it goes.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlakesregioner View Post
Nothing against the bikers, but if I had made a reservation for my family that week, I'd be pretty bummed and want to cancel. At that (sound) volume, it's impossible for others to enjoy themselves
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
birchhaven

Local motels/hotels at Weirs started notifying the families that had scheduled vacations that week, that their reservations had been canceled, to make room for bike week. This was a mistake IMHO and that is 100%, not a slow week, that is peak season.

What's done is done, and we all need to make the best of it. Well... unless they change again and move it to October, then they are really going to regret canceling all those families ��
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
Local motels/hotels at Weirs started notifying the families that had scheduled vacations that week, that their reservations had been canceled, to make room for bike week. This was a mistake IMHO and that is 100%, not a slow week, that is peak season.

What's done is done, and we all need to make the best of it. Well... unless they change again and move it to October, then they are really going to regret canceling all those families ��
You are incorrect about that week being peak season. I know that the local motels and cabin rentals typically do about 25% of what a normal summer week is then because the kids are going back to school and many families cannot get away. The weekly rental property I have is usually vacant that week. That has been the pattern for the last 15 years.

I would be amazed if ANY motel has called guests to tell them their reservation was cancelled. Please cite the specific motel/hotel that you claim is doing this.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Trail Goer (04-30-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You are incorrect about that week being peak season. I know that the local motels and cabin rentals typically do about 25% of what a normal summer week is then because the kids are going back to school and many families cannot get away. The weekly rental property I have is usually vacant that week. That has been the pattern for the last 15 years.

I would be amazed if ANY motel has called guests to tell them their reservation was cancelled. Please cite the specific motel/hotel that you claim is doing this.
I was going to avoid calling them out but okay since you are saying I making it up, The Grande View and Wiers Beach Motel, I know for a fact have already done this, I am sure more will. If you don't have a full hotel, etc still this time of year you are doing it wrong, that is still peak season for me and many others.

Having your business drop down to 25% after August 21st is a pretty steep and specific drop. Please cite what places drop that much in August?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Quote:
I was going to avoid calling them out but okay since you are saying I making it up, The Grande View and Wiers Beach Motel, I know for a fact have already done this, I am sure more will. If you don't have a full hotel, etc still this time of year you are doing it wrong, that is still peak season for me and many others.

Having your business drop down to 25% after August 21st is a pretty steep and specific drop. Please cite what places drop that much in August?
If you watched WMUR tonight you would have seen the owner of Channel Cottages, Jose DeMatos saying exactly that. There are others that I am familiar with but I don't want to broadcast their business. As I also said, the experience I have with my rental property is a slow week. In no way is it "peak season"

Weirs Beach Motel has offered the people who had Bike Week reservations the opportunity to change to the August week. They have not cancelled anyone's reservation for that week.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #14
birchhaven

Yes they have, not going to fight with you. I have 1st hand knowledge, clearly you do not.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #15
TiltonBB

Quote:
Yes they have, not going to fight with you. I have 1st hand knowledge, clearly you do not.
Your knowledge must be more recent than the conversation I had with the owner at 5 PM today.

You have to keep up!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #16
Garcia

I have NO knowledge of cancellations! With Labor Day falling late (September 7) it seems the week of Bike Week would be a busy week and the week after will be when people are heading back to school. I guess we'll find out.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #17
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Your knowledge must be more recent than the conversation I had with the owner at 5 PM today.

You have to keep up!
You didn't have a conversation with them, or they are giving you bad information. I know of a person who had 3 reservations at wiers Beach motel, I could give you name and the dates. 2/3 are now canceled. It's no body's fault I don't know why you are acting like you know. It just not true.

Last edited by birchhaven; 04-28-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #18
Formula260SS

From my perch on Rattlesnake things slow down into Aug. I have to believe it was a collaborative decision across the board. I highly doubt any hotel owners said they'd be happy to cancel reservations on people but thought it may be a better business decision to move bike week rather than cancel it all together. Don't forget it does make money for the local economy.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #19
VitaBene

Quote:

That is crazy! I had not heard that.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
FlyingScot

Whatever the specifics on individual hotels or peak season, Laconia has made it crystal clear they don't care about prior commitments to families. This isn't some little thing like changing a dinner reservation. I would never book a room there again
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #21
WinnisquamZ

Follow the money. Bikers pay more for rooms. Spend more at local establishments. Allows local law enforcement many hours of overtime. Last, comeback year after year!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #22
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That week is historically slow around here, college kids have headed back and many primary schools start before Labor Day
If it’s hard finding help in normal times what do you think this year will be like? I hope there isn’t a problem as the area business need the business. We’ll be on the island away from it all. But have fun.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #23
coolyourjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Follow the money. Bikers pay more for rooms. Spend more at local establishments. Allows local law enforcement many hours of overtime. Last, comeback year after year!

Very true. But the bikers will always come back. Had this been moved to September, the possibility exists that the crowds might have been a bit smaller. But they would have been back to normal next June. If it's true that people's reservations were canceled involuntarily, chances are that motel has lost a customer forever. Short term gain, long term pain.
coolyourjets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
Crusty (04-29-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #24
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

I think you got this right!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote