Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Rinkerfam

Default Weirs channel on the 4th

Did anyone else experience the horror show going from the Weirs into Paugus Bay late yesterday afternoon? Nobody seemed to care about cutting the line getting into the channel and there were people running jet skis from the wall in the channel (swapping operators from the beach side wall). It was out of control and there was no Marine Patrol presence at all. In fact, I didn't see one patrol boat all day. Ugh!!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
HellRaZoR004

I kept away. I did however attend the Meredith fireworks and I saw plenty of MP boats. Perhaps they were all preparing themselves for the night shift.

With regards to MP last night...they pulled over plenty of people between Meredith and Sanders Bay (Gilford).

No shortage of people moving way too fast last night. And I waited at least 20 minutes after the show to leave. I even had one cut in front of me that appeared like they didn't know the rules of the road so to speak. I put my spotlight on their boat and quickly got there attention.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
SunsetPointWentworth

My family has a great camp on Lake Wentworth and that's where I spend all my free time in the summer. However, this week we decided to spice things up and stay on the big lake. I was floored at the volume of boat traffic, the disrespect of the boaters and walls of water that the boat wakes put out. I've always thought that the people on this site were just whiners. That they just needed things to complain about. I even made a comment on here last week, aimed at the complainers. I understand now. Looking out at it from the Wolfeboro docks is 100% different then being in the middle of it. Our 20' bowrider was pommelled, from one side of the lake to the other. Maybe, I'm just getting old and grumpy at 40, but it was overwhelming. On a brighter note! We stayed at the Lazy-E on Paugus Bay. It was a great place with great people. The cabin was very clean and had everything you could ask for. We were able to keep our boat, right next to our cabin, on the dock. I give it an A+ all around. Kudos.
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Legionnaire70

We live on the channel. Right next to the gas station and have a front row seat to all the chaos. It's quite comical at times, especially when a storm rolls in... "No wake" has absolutely no meaning to anyone. Last big storm I kid you not there were 2-3 foot waves bouncing off the shore... It makes me wonder how many people have their "boater safety card"
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
pjard

I went through there yesterday as well (it was a bucket list item). I agree it was INSANE but it was July 4th. During a normal week it's empty and even on a normal weekend it is tolerable and for the most part proffesional. But I must say on the next July 4th, the boat is staying docked!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Weekends and Holidays

I pretty much stay off the lake on weekends and holidays. The lake is pretty civil during the week and off season. I witness some crazy things off Saunders Bay during the holiday. I'm surprise there were no serious accident that I know of.

Ever since a certain group of folks told the legislature that the lake is now safe and peachy after a certain law was pass, the legislature believe the marine patrol is no longer needed. The money from our registration was transferred to the general funds and the results is what you see July 4th. I hope the legislature is paying attention to winnipesaukee.com and realize the big mistakes they have made.

We are the ones who uses the lake, legislatures shouldn't tell users what is good for the lake.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Rinkerfam

I definitely expected heavier than normal traffic due to the holiday and the weather. What floored me was the lack of boating etiquette displayed. I can't tell you how many other weekends I have witnessed Marine Patrol positioned at both ends of the channel (we have to travel through it on every outing). They tend to ignore the 150' rule (which drives me insane) but their presence does keep people on their toes as far as forming a single file line and keeping things moving. Maybe they were all down in Meredith preparing for the fireworks, but if that was the case it was poor planning!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
cillovely

We are renting in Paugus bay for the first time this year not to far down from the channel. I plan on not going out of the bay much until late Sunday/Monday morning when the weekend yahoos have all left for home.

Our first year we rented in Meredith but got our gas at Channel Marine so we've gone thru there into the bay a few times before so I know what it's like. This year will be a test to see if we go back to that area or keep on looking for somewhere else.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
CrownRay

Thanks to the many years of going up and down the Weirs Channel every summer since I was a kid, I was well prepared to deal with the traffic nightmare at the Charles River locks after the 4th on the Esplanade!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The Wiers Channel was not the only place there was uncontrolled chaos.... I saw it all over the lake during my outings on the boat....

There was the Jerk who decided he didn't need to wait in line to go under the bridge to Long Island, and cut me and others off

The the Jerk that decided no wake didn't apply to him...

followed by a few schmucks, that couldn't decided which way they where headed, and changed course every couple of minutes in congested area's

All in all after not spending the 4th on the lake for several years, I know remember why, I stopped... I will be going somewhere else for the 4th next year...
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
dt5150

i fished on saturday morning and made sure to get off the water before all the other boaters came out. we pulled up the lines at 9 and headed in.. just in time.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
topwater

LOL, please do.....
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Life is way too short...

...to let those who are impatient or inconsiderate to ruin a day on the Lake. It is not like we can boat year round on Lake Winnipesaukee, so if we have a chance to go out on the Lake, we will go. We don't care what day of the week it is, if it is a holiday or not, if there is an inordinate amount of traffic out there.

We will just go on out, and if possible, find a spot to sit and watch the world, and in its inevitable idiots, go by. We love the Lake, and not knowing how much longer we can get out to enjoy the Lake, we just make sure we enjoy our days on it.

Just our humble opinion.
SharkBaitDiving (07-09-2013), SIKSUKR (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Weekend on Holidays enjoyment.

I really find a lot of enjoyment off the lake by watching all the commotions at the public launch ramps. Great place to people watch and see a lot of chaos without having to be or get involved. There are occasions my trusty little Dakota will tow a big a$$ tow vehicle from the lake!

Not bad for free entertainment! Beats the whacko comedy shows on TV!
SIKSUKR (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Par Four

Default Overhead perspective

I can't seem to find the picture I was looking for that showed the insane conjestion in the Weirs channel from a 4th of July of years past (an image taken from a boat in the south end of the channel looking north), but I did come across this picture that a friend had sent to me from years past, also showing 4th of July activity on the lake...

I'm sure we've all been out there on days like this one... they're great days to find a cove or a sandbar and toss out the anchor and watch & enjoy.

Name:  Boat Traffic nr Gov Isl.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  37.0 KB
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Broken Glass

Default Channel Speed

When I went out fishing on Tuesday morning at 05:30 I knew that the channel was going to be a mess when the traffic picked up. The current was almost 3 MPH under the bridge. The boaters and jet-skiers that tried to make it through the channel with their throttles on the idle stops were not even making headway. It's my opinion that the knee jerk reactions from MP when a boat goes by in a no wake zone at 3-4 MPH while putting up a very small wake, has operators reluctant to add throttle when needed. Boaters are so afraid to touch their throttles in the channel that when more throttle is necessary to maintain steerage, kayos prevails. On a dead calm day, with no current, an idle is safe and appropriate in a no wake zone. When it is windy, and there is a 3 MPH current in a narrow channel, safe headway should be the rule of the day.

Happy Fourth of July!!
Dan
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Default Headway speed vs No Wake signs

I strongly suggested in the past that Headway speed signs should be posted in channels so that people won't feel guilty going with or against a current.

No wake should only be posted in No Wake areas where there is no currents.

This is kind of a no brainer idea but the NH legislature seem to show no brains
Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
HellRaZoR004

The flow of water through the channel this weekend was moving. Increasing the throttle was the only way to make headway, and I'll also add that in doing so it did create a wake....no other alternative.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
The flow of water through the channel this weekend was moving. Increasing the throttle was the only way to make headway, and I'll also add that in doing so it did create a wake....no other alternative.
Amen!! Maintaining control has to be the top priority.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
suge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Four View Post
I can't seem to find the picture I was looking for that showed the insane conjestion in the Weirs channel from a 4th of July of years past (an image taken from a boat in the south end of the channel looking north), but I did come across this picture that a friend had sent to me from years past, also showing 4th of July activity on the lake...

I'm sure we've all been out there on days like this one... they're great days to find a cove or a sandbar and toss out the anchor and watch & enjoy.

Attachment 8059
Here is one from the previous weekend on Sat 6/29
Attached Images

suge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
pjard

I bet 3 out of every 4 boats are going through, just to go throug and "be seen". C'mon, we're all guilty!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
Rich

I tried to stay clear of the channel from the 3rd to the end of the weekend, but Sunday evening (the 7th) I had to come though the channel at about 4:30 PM heading into Paugus bay.

I knew it would be crazy, and I was right! It looked busier than the photo above! I tried to leave extra space in front of me in case I had to react to something. Of course, everyone kept cutting in front of me. Oh a special thanks to the para-sailing boat that tried to pass me on the right as we were entering the channel while going by Weirs beach. There wasn't enough room, but he appeared to want to pass me. Normally I would have just slowed and let him by, but I knew the current wouldn't allow for this.

As we're going under the bridge, the pontoon boat that was 2 boats in front of me seemed to decide at the last minute that he would stop for fuel at Thurstons. He seemed to stop and try to come back to Thurstons so that he was heading into the current as he pulled into their dock (or the current just took him further than he expected). As others have said, the current was particularly strong as the dam was probably fully open trying to control the high lake level (checking the data chart for the dam, I see the dam flow was about 1789 CFS at this time). With large number of boats in the channel, and the current as strong as it was, this was not the time to try to stop for gas at this particular time.

Then the pontoon boat started skidding sideways due to the current.

All the other boats stopped and tried to wait for him. Then everyone started to skid sideways. There was a police boat there too, he just turned on his blue lights (thanks, that helped a lot!).

I sounded my horn and tried to tell people not to stop, but i didn't help. I'm not sure what was going on behind me, as I was focused on where my boat was headed and what those in front of me (and to the side of me) were doing.

While shifting my twins forward and reverse to try to hold position (it wasn't going well), my port engine quit! Perhaps I was shifting too fast? It had never done this before and I didn't notice it at first until I saw that the boat wasn't following my commands. I furiously tried to start the engine, and wondered why it wouldn't start, until I noticed it was still in gear.

I came much too close to the rocks and thought I was going to lose my props, but I finally started the engine and got the boat in position again after being perpendicular to the channel.

I'm surprised the police boat didn't ask people to keep moving.

I'm sure we gave everyone in the area a good show! I had to change my shorts three times after that!

To anyone that saw this, I'm sure they wondered what happened, I'm not sure what it looked like to someone that wasn't in the middle of it at the time.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Default Happens all the time.

Thurston's is a very bad spot. I have seen far too many boaters try to do U turns, run in etc. to get to the gas dock. Worst are the rental boats, they come in and out as they please and I have witness a good number of collisions in my days. I even lost an SS prop and bent my prop shaft because some rental boat pulled out of Thurston, caught the swift current and panic, sending the pontoon boat down the channel sideways into an already packed Channel. The marine patrol was no help as they did a lousy job of directing traffic and instead of assisting the newbie what to do, he was screaming into the bull horn to get out of the channel. You can well aware the chaos, I believe this was a decade ago. A number of boaters caught in the melee did stop at Thurston's to spoke their mind but the management was no where to be found.

Some things never change, until God forbid someone gets hurt.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
Happy Gourmand

Seems pretty easy to understand how a new boater (read RENTER) could become confused and intimidated trying to maneuver across traffic in a moving current on a busy day.
Thankfully, everybody is at headway speed or below so a collision would probably not cause any serious injury. Worst case, just pull the throttle and you will float downstream with the current. Yup, this can cause a lot of anxious moments but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep the offender away from your boat with a pole at that slow speed. Not that you want to have to.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
Grove84

Default 5th of July

My family and I have been boating on the lake for 15 years and while we always know it is going to take 45 minutes to get through the Weirs during the holiday, it is one thing to sit and wait patiently , but to get cut off by PWC due to them not want to wait, just makes it more aggravating. So to end a perfect day on the water, we had a family member breakdown on the lake to be told that Tow US would take 4.5 hours to tow them back. So we headed on over with our Formula to two them back. Well unless I am mistaken a boat towing another boat should have right of way, well got cut off 3 times by other boaters that could not see the bright white two rope or my blasting my horn at them... But, the best part of the day was being on the lake with family and friends, enjoying what we all love, boating and the big lake
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
SIKSUKR

Speaking of towing,it must be real interesting towing a boat through the Weirs channel with a lot of traffic and a fast current pushing you.Might be better to have the disabled boat in front.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
NH_boater

I bet it is 20:1 or 30:1 good boaters to bad, but the bad ones can really challenge your great day on the lake. It used to bother me much more, like bad road drivers, now I try to accept it, forget it and remain calm. These boneheads are not worth losing my great day on the water with friends and family.

I try just to shake my head, then shake it off. Or so I try...
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
ITD

I'm trying to figure out how you get cut off at the channel. If you are approaching from Eagle Island direction and another boat approaches from Weirs docks, the boat from the Weirs has the right of way. Confused here.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
hig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I bet it is 20:1 or 30:1 good boaters to bad, but the bad ones can really challenge your great day on the lake.
I don't think so, at least not that weekend. I was not out on the boat a lot, but most of the boats that crossed my path were oblivious to or at least had total disregard for the right of way rules.

And this was around Rattlesnake, not at the weirs.
hig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
Happy Gourmand

Talking to a lot of other boaters and by personal experience, that weekend was particularly ugly. Boats all over the place going in every which direction, churning the area of the Weirs and other places into virtual washing machines.
I'm never in a real hurry to get anywhere by boat, so if you cut me out it's no big deal even if I have to pull back on my throttle to let you pass in front of me. I won't get upset, I won't piss and moan and I won't rant about it in a way that will affect my attitude.
Some time ago, in this forum, I outlined the rules I follow when in the boat that apply to at least 95% of any situations that come up.

1. I never have the right of way
2. In the case of an exception, see rule #1
3. Enjoy all the "Precious Moments" that boating affords me. ( That's the name of my boat )
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
JerseyGuy (07-13-2013), NHBUOY (07-10-2013), secondcurve (07-10-2013), soupyjr8 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you get cut off at the channel. If you are approaching from Eagle Island direction and another boat approaches from Weirs docks, the boat from the Weirs has the right of way. Confused here.....
If you were referring to my almost 'incident', I believe that I was already in the channel with barely more than a boats beam and a half clearance on my Starboard side towards the Weirs side of the channel. The para-sailling boat looked like he wanted to overtake me and pass me on the Starboard side, which in my opinion was very unsafe to do at the moment. I held my speed and course and luckily the channel got too narrow before he could pass me.

But it sure looked like he was thinking hard about trying to pass me, or at least ride my stern much too closely through the channel.

I was too hyper-focused on the boats in front of me to notice what happened to the boats behind or approaching me on the port side.

If anyone else on the forum saw this incident, I shure would love to hear how it looked from someone that didn't have their shorts wet and their heart in their throat as mine were at the time! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share the details here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #32
NHskier

We rent a slip at Thurston's with a prime view of the channel and happened to be working on our boat when this occurred. From our angle it was very difficult to figure out what the heck was going on between your cruiser, the parasail boat, whatever the MP was trying to accomplish, and random others. And of course all that while the current was running like crazy.

That was only one of the crazy incidents during the latter part of the afternoon! In another case, a disabled boat was being towed up from Paugus by another pleasure craft. As they got near the gas dock the towing boat dumped the tow line and headed off, leaving the disabled boat essentially adrift off the end of the gas dock!!! (At the very least, it was no longer in the worst of the current.) One of the attendants actually jumped in the water, grabbed the tow rope, and pulled the boat into the service area. It's my understanding she got a rather generous tip.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #33
jrc

That channel doesn't have a lot of room for error especially when you have holiday crowds, a big boat and a strong current. Since everyone makes errors, everyone was lucky to get out unscathed when someone made an error in his path.

Some people might need a refresher on boating rules of the road. There are no rules granting right of way or special privileges to boats towing. Obviously it would be courteous to give way to someone in need.

Assuming both boats are under power, there is no rule to give way to a boat on you starboard unless you are crossing. Two boats heading towards the channel are not crossing, so crossing rules don't apply. The boat in front should stand-on, the boat in back would be overtaking and that's a give-way position.

Of course, the Phantom Gourmand has the best attitude and rules.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
We rent a slip at Thurston's with a prime view of the channel and happened to be working on our boat when this occurred. From our angle it was very difficult to figure out what the heck was going on between your cruiser, the parasail boat, whatever the MP was trying to accomplish, and random others. And of course all that while the current was running like crazy.

That was only one of the crazy incidents during the latter part of the afternoon! In another case, a disabled boat was being towed up from Paugus by another pleasure craft. As they got near the gas dock the towing boat dumped the tow line and headed off, leaving the disabled boat essentially adrift off the end of the gas dock!!! (At the very least, it was no longer in the worst of the current.) One of the attendants actually jumped in the water, grabbed the tow rope, and pulled the boat into the service area. It's my understanding she got a rather generous tip.
Thanks for the feedback.

Wow jumping in the water with all those spinning props and strong current. I can't say I would have done the same thing.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #35
BroadHopper

Default Weirs Beach

In the past I have witnessed beach goers swimming or wading in the channel along the Endicott Rock shore. I have also witness PWC boarding along the wall as well. With the swift current and slippery rocks and a busy day, I can imagine a horrible scene.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #36
NHskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Wow jumping in the water with all those spinning props and strong current. I can't say I would have done the same thing.
She was inside the marina area at that point and was well away from any traffic, so was in no danger from any props. That area is also sheltered from the current by the gas dock itself so she wasn't really fighting it. With the way it was running that day I very much doubt anyone could have pulled a boat against it.