Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
radiocontester

Default Boat handling lessons

Hi Folks,

While not new to boating, I just purchased my first boat (28' Four Winns cruiser) and will have it slipped on the lake in 2016. To avoid being featured in the Captain Bonehead section of this site I'd like to take some vessel handling lessons with a professional instructor, especially before going out solo. Is there someone you could recommend? Thanks!
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Winnisquamer

Honestly as a new boater and I mean brand new last season never driving a boat before I don't think it is needed. If your looking for someone to show you the lakes and hazard areas that is one thing but general boat operation i'd say go out one weekday while its calm and just practice. My first season I went from an outdrive bass boat to and stern drive bowrider to an inboard wakesurf boat and they all handle much differently. Dock it 4-5 times to feel how the boat moves and you'll have the feel for it. There is no substitution for practice.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
radiocontester

Thanks for the input....my biggest fear is docking but like you said there's no substitute for practice. I have experience with a 19' bowrider but nothing larger......I'll have to suck it up and take my time when docking at public docks...regardless of how may attempts it takes. I still remember the first time I ever T'd off on the golf course....I imagine this experience will be very similar..
Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Pricestavern

Default Good Question

My wife, practice as she might, still does not feel comfortable handling the boat (16' whaler) in tight situations (docking, waiting to dock, boat traffic, etc.) and I know she'd love to have an instructor help her. Any suggestions, anyone?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
I'll have to suck it up and take my time when docking at public docks...regardless of how may attempts it takes.
As a brand new boater this year, I agree with the above--take your time and you'll be fine.

Though people complain about fellow boaters on the lake, I've had nothing but good luck with people helping out, especially at the docks. In fact, a couple weeks ago we took the boat to Wolfeboro and docked all the way in--when we were about to leave, we noticed all the boats that had pulled in after us were HUGE--there was only about a foot on each side for me to back out through. Each boat had a person scoot to the side to keep us from bumping (we didn't--I went REAL slow!), which we appreciated. The conversation on the way out, and subsequent "hooray!" was fun.

Godspeed, new captain!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Each boat had a person scoot to the side to keep us from bumping (we didn't--I went REAL slow!), which we appreciated. The conversation on the way out, and subsequent "hooray!" was fun.
Very cool! Thanks for the words of encouragement.....I'm really looking forward to getting out there!!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here is a link to a 2014 post on this subject

See post 17 (I think) from WeirsBeachBoater who responded to similar request. He said to PM him. See his post. He is, I believe, one of the captains with the Cruise NH group, who have the Mount, Doris, Sophie.

Here is the link: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17337

Good luck
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
See post 17 (I think) from WeirsBeachBoater who responded to similar request. He said to PM him. See his post. He is, I believe, one of the captains with the Cruise NH group, who have the Mount, Doris, Sophie.

Here is the link: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17337

Good luck
Thanks for referencing that thread, I should have searched before posting. Great stuff...thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
paintitredinHC

Default Practice

My brother who is in the marine industry had a great suggestion for new boaters. Go to your local grocery store and practice by pushing a shopping cart around backwards. Meaning, push with the wheels that turn in the rear. This is exactly how a boat handles. Remember, boats do not handle like cars (i.e. point and shoot).... they steer from the rear. I see a lot of boaters drive like they are in their car and it usually doesn't pan out very well.

When docking in an I/O (Inboard/Outboard), which is what you most likely have on your Four Winns, approach the dock at a 45 degree angle while in gear. About 10 feet away from the dock with the boat still in gear, turn away from the dock for just a second. Put the boat in neutral to scrub some speed. Then turn the wheel again towards the dock and shift into reverse. This last action will pull the stern of the boat towards the dock.

As mentioned in a previous post, a direct drive or v-drive will handle much differently than I described above. You will also have to factor in other boats and wind into your attack angle and speed. Confidence is key. Good luck!
paintitredinHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintitredinHC View Post
My brother who is in the marine industry had a great suggestion for new boaters. Go to your local grocery store and practice by pushing a shopping cart around backwards. Meaning, push with the wheels that turn in the rear. This is exactly how a boat handles. Remember, boats do not handle like cars (i.e. point and shoot).... they steer from the rear. I see a lot of boaters drive like they are in their car and it usually doesn't pan out very well.

When docking in an I/O (Inboard/Outboard), which is what you most likely have on your Four Winns, approach the dock at a 45 degree angle while in gear. About 10 feet away from the dock with the boat still in gear, turn away from the dock for just a second. Put the boat in neutral to scrub some speed. Then turn the wheel again towards the dock and shift into reverse. This last action will pull the stern of the boat towards the dock.

As mentioned in a previous post, a direct drive or v-drive will handle much differently than I described above. You will also have to factor in other boats and wind into your attack angle and speed. Confidence is key. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip!!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #11
Shreddy

Default Use a frisbee

My sister wanted to learn how to drive the boat...that's easy. Docking is a bit more of an art. Took her out in front of the marina and threw a Frisbee I had out into the water. I told her I wanted to be able to pick it up off the side of the boat (equivalent to docking). Every is different when it comes to docking. Many will tell you to just cruise in at a 45* angle and then hit reverse and spin the wheel to get the ass-end into the dock. It works, but to me it's not ideal. I come in almost as slow as possible, gliding in neutral. If I need speed or to steer the boat at all I shift into gear and then immediately back to neutral. The quick impulse is enough to control the boat and steer it coming in very slow and through tight situations. I probably go back and forth from neutral to gear and back anywhere from 5-15 times (guessing) when I'm docking.

I'm sure people won't care for this technique, or I'll find out it's doing something bad to my boat, but I've never had in issue in the past 15 years doing it this way. Good luck...practice makes perfect.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
DBreskin

Default Advice for any type of boat

Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
Rich

And these tips, as good as they are, all change in a hurry when there is any wind!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
. I have experience with a 19' bowrider but nothing larger......I'll have to suck it up and take my time when docking at public docks...regardless of how may attempts it takes. :
This is the BEST way to learn .....Practice, practice, practice (and from different angles & conditions) .............. during weekdays try the Weirs Public docks (very Easily approachable) and for a little more challenge one of the side slips at Center Harbor. I would avoid Wolfeboro initially anytime of day.

I do not in any way mean to belittle your plight by saying this is exactly what we are currently doing trying to teach my 12 yr old granddaughter, who amazingly can handle the boat at plane with a good situational awareness & fully understands both the markers and GPS operation.... she just can't dock worth $#I!

My biggest advice to you in moving up from a 19 footer to a 28 footer is the (what I term) glide path ..... even at a slow speed, once you throw her into neutral - she will continue to "glide" quite a distance on you ...pure inertia from the size...... this is the first aspect you have to get use to or you'll continually be tapping into reverse and ultimately coming off course (to a dock). Think about the stopping distance of a Smart car versus a six wheeler and you'll get the idea.

If you happen to be in the MVYC area I would be happy to take you out in my 26' or ride along with you a few times. Nothing beats "Local" knowledge -- not even a chart!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #15
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And these tips, as good as they are, all change in a hurry when there is any wind!
or three foot rollers !!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Boating magazine's advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
My sister wanted to learn how to drive the boat...that's easy. Docking is a bit more of an art. Took her out in front of the marina and threw a Frisbee I had out into the water. I told her I wanted to be able to pick it up off the side of the boat (equivalent to docking). Every is different when it comes to docking. Many will tell you to just cruise in at a 45* angle and then hit reverse and spin the wheel to get the ass-end into the dock. It works, but to me it's not ideal. I come in almost as slow as possible, gliding in neutral. If I need speed or to steer the boat at all I shift into gear and then immediately back to neutral. The quick impulse is enough to control the boat and steer it coming in very slow and through tight situations. I probably go back and forth from neutral to gear and back anywhere from 5-15 times (guessing) when I'm docking.

I'm sure people won't care for this technique, or I'll find out it's doing something bad to my boat, but I've never had in issue in the past 15 years doing it this way. Good luck...practice makes perfect.
Two posts here echo Boating magazines philosophy. One, don't come in any faster than you want to hit the dock. Two, as part of that, short bursts of the throttle, either in forward or reverse rather than coming in fast.

Judging the effect of wind and current can add into the mix, but going slow can help to minimize, and take advantage, of these conditions.

Now, if I could just practice what I preach.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #17
znh

http://www.communityboating.org/programs/powerboating/

http://www.boatwise.com/schedules/schedules_rec.pl

http://www.lakelifelessons.com/

Also contact the NHMP and see if they can recommend anyone or any program for on water help. I know there are other people and programs out there that will do this...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #18
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
If you happen to be in the MVYC area I would be happy to take you out in my 26' or ride along with you a few times. Nothing beats "Local" knowledge -- not even a chart!

Thank you for the offer!! I may take you up on it at the start of the 2016 season!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
WeirsBeachBoater

I have worked with some folks in the past, My schedule is busy this time of year, but I am willing to work with folks in the fall or in the spring. PM me
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
8gv

Practice does not make perfect.

PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Initial assistance from a seasoned captain will help.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #21
Knomad

Having had a 28' Four Winns Vista cruiser on a slip in Melvin Village, you will have to learn how your boat handles under different conditions, especially docking. If you bought the boat through a dealer, take advantage of one of the senior staff people to work with you, on your boat with you at the helm. Make sure you do it a couple of times on a windy day.

Other than knowing the rules of the road, you also need to get familiar with the area you intend to boat. On the big lake, you need to be able to stay on the correct side of the spar buoys. You'll need to be able to use a chart and a compass.

Other than that, relax, take your time and practice.

Enjoy!
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #22
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
................Make sure you do it a couple of times on a windy day.

Other than knowing the rules of the road, you also need to get familiar with the area you intend to boat. On the big lake, you need to be able to stay on the correct side of the spar buoys. You'll need to be able to use a chart and a compass.

Other than that, relax, take your time and practice.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the tips.....I'm really looking forward to the challenges ahead!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
chocophile

Default Wind!

I find that maneuvers that are easy on a calm day can be very tricky on a windy day. For example, trying to stay in line at the gas dock, docking in a tight area. Be sure to go out on a windy day to see how your boat handles.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #24
Phantom

another aspect is ... that now Fall will soon be approaching and the boat handles COMPLETELY different with the canvas up (Kite effect) as ell as your vision is impaired.

All part of the Practice, practice

Old 08-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #25
georgefelt

Default Power boat handling books

I was in the same situation last spring with A new (to me) 28 footer. I had a 24 foot singe a few years ago, then nothing, now this. It felt really big at first. I bought a couple books on power boat handling and spent my first few hours on the lake in low traffic conditions just practicing. IMHO these boats are two big to "single hand" operate, so for me one key was teaching and learning to work with my first (and so far my only&#128525 mate. This took time and is best done in low traffic practice conditions in fair weather with nobody else around to distract us. Tips in books on handling twins have also been priceless. Search Amazon for Power Boat Handling and get a couple books - not the same as real life, but well worthwhile in their own way. You will love it if you go slow at first until your skills build up a bit - stay away from wknd PMs; evenings on weekdays are good , or wknd AMs before 10:00. Good luck! One more thing - get a bunch of fenders and hangers and learn well how to use them to avoid dock rash... This is a MUST before you even turn the key on day one.
georgefelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #26
Salt_shaker

I like to go nice and easy. I think it looks more professional too . Take your time. Learn how to read the water, current ripples, wind ripples etc. You can use them to your advantage. I swear some days with no wind no current I do a worse job backing in my slip than when its honking. you'll actually learn to use them as a tool.

I've seen a lot of text book skippers. meaning, if I push this and turn that, the boat should go that way. always be prepared for it not to happen. I also tell people (my pet peeve), give yourself plenty of room. worse comes to worse, you will be able to back out of a situation, IF, you have given yourself the room to do so. Your power should allow you to back into the wind. Trying to bring the bow around into the wind, can be a challenge.

ex. I was at town docks sunday. a guy with say a 22' was in the corner of the dock. port side to the street, bow facing the corner. there was another boats bow close to his in the corner, and another boats stern to his. he was pretty tight in the corner. the wind was coming over his stbd quarter. what would you do?

As I was walking along, I saw him leaving. He had pushed out about a foot and was trying to go fwd making a right turn out, into the wind. guess what. no way. When he got back on the dock, i suggested to back out, and turn when he had room.

so I kicked his port quarter out a bit to clear the boat behind him, he turned his io to stbd and backed out. too bad, he then tried to make the turn again once he was about a foot broadside to the boat and hit.

so, we did it again, i told him get out into the middle of the piers before turning. he did, he turned and was on his way.

sorry sort of lengthy, but its a good example of, keep your cool. think a bit how youre going to get out of a slip before trying it. then, when you really need to move the sticks fast, it will be like 2nd nature.
Salt_shaker is offline   Reply With Quote