Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking American Hophornbeam Tree Fruit

American Hophornbeam Tree, Also known as ironwood.

While hiking on Rattlesnake Island a few weeks ago, I came across this really interesting and beautiful tree that was flowering. I could not figure out what it was, but UNH Cooperative Extension did.

If I am not mistaken, the bridge between Birch and Steamboat island is made from this type of tree.

http://mlp.arboretum.purdue.edu/webo...1#.WXovaoTyuUl
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Barney Bear

Default Small World

Thanks for this information. Fifty years ago, we transplanted a small tree from the woods behind our cottage on East Bear Island and planted it in front. This beautiful tree is now about thirty-five feet tall with several sweeping branches and is currently in bloom. It is a hornbeam tree. 🍃
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

While hiking on Rattlesnake Island a few weeks ago, I came across this really interesting and beautiful tree that was flowering. I could not figure out what it was, but UNH Cooperative Extension did.

If I am not mistaken, the bridge between Birch and Steamboat island is made from this type of tree.

Hi RG!

"Ironwood"... I thought that wood nickname was strictly used for the tropical hardwood wood known as "IPE".... this wood is so dense it does not float and extremely difficult to cut!! I actually have a lot of experience with this stuff and it really is crazy hard to work with.

This other "ironwood" you speak of sounds interesting especially since it thrives so close to us!

Thank you for teaching me something I never knew and so local to us both!

Dan
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
TCC

Default "ironwood"

An interesting example of the perils of using common names for plants. Wikipedia lists no less than 29 different trees (representing 26 different genera), the wood from which bears the common name "ironwood". 23 of these actually have the word "ironwood" in the trees' names.

Rattlesnake Gal's American hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) is in a totally different genus from the American hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) found in southern New Hampshire. Both are commonly referred to as "ironwood". Ishoot308's "ipe" comprises the entire genus Tabebuia, which is native to Central and South America.

Last edited by TCC; 07-29-2017 at 04:50 AM.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Makes wonderful firewood. Have a nice stand of ironwood and I cut some selectively every few years. It's in a small valley that is very dense so the trees grow very straight and tall.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
StardogChampion

I discovered have a few of these in our yard. Unfortunately, I had a small one next to my driveway I had to cut down this week. I noticed how the flowers look like hops flowers and found too they're called a hophornbeam. They are really neat looking. I don't think I can brew beer with it.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Natt

Also known as lever wood. Beau coup on the south side of the Ossipees.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
WJT2

Default Birch Island/Steamboat Island Bridge

The bridge connecting these two islands was made of Hornbeam wood. It was built by Captain Leander Lavallee back in the 1920's. Leander was Captain Ed Lavallee's father, Ed was Captain of the Mount and also the Mail Boat. It has stood the trials of time until it was replaced a few years ago. "Wishing Bridge".
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
ApS

Red face Catkins...Little Cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
An interesting example of the perils of using common names for plants. Wikipedia lists no less than 29 different trees (representing 26 different genera), the wood from which bears the common name "ironwood". 23 of these actually have the word "ironwood" in the trees' names.

Rattlesnake Gal's American hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) is in a totally different genus from the American hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) found in southern New Hampshire. Both are commonly referred to as "ironwood". Ishoot308's "ipe" comprises the entire genus Tabebuia, which is native to Central and South America.
Now Rattlesnake Gal's thread has me wondering if I correctly identified the falling yellow catkins I previously wrote were from a Black Birch. Black Birch is heavy, and, like HopHornbeam, also sinks in water. The leaves are very similar, so now I have to wander off into my woods to check the bark.

Yes, to the proliferation of "Ironwood" as a common name. I've planted a few "Ironwood" in Florida—donated free by the power company to shade two-story houses from intense afternoon sun. (Florida's native "Ironwood" grows straight and tall).

As to Tabebuia, it's been widely transplanted to Southern Florida. I don't know of a more spectacular flowering tree.

Even as it drops its flowers, Tabebuia brightens the ground where they fall:

Q: When is best time to plant a tree?

A: Twenty years ago.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Hornbeam and Hophornbeam Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Thanks for this information. Fifty years ago, we transplanted a small tree from the woods behind our cottage on East Bear Island and planted it in front. This beautiful tree is now about thirty-five feet tall with several sweeping branches and is currently in bloom. It is a hornbeam tree. 🍃
Hornbeam and Hophornbeam Trees

After a bit of research, I discovered that hophornbeam and hornbeam are a variation of the same species. Surprisingly, these ironwood trees are related to the very soft birch! From what I gather, hornbeam is a prettier tree, from a symmetrical standpoint.

As it turns out, we have many on Rattlesnake Island, now that I know what to look for.

WJT2 is correct that Hornbeam was used for the previous bridge between Birch and Steamboat Islands.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Bear Guy

This web posting about the rebuilding of the Birch-Steamboat bridge states the old bridge was made with red oak, not hornbeam.
https://www.houzz.com/projects/191818/steamboat-bridge
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
This web posting about the rebuilding of the Birch-Steamboat bridge states the old bridge was made with red oak, not hornbeam.
Then Bruce Heald and The Gilford Historical Society have it wrong.

Birch and Steamboat Islands
Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
ApS

Exclamation It's Not Around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
I think I know why the contractor found "...the old bridge was made with red oak"...

There's not enough hornbeam available for use in construction!

>
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #14
WJT2

Default Hornbeam Bridge

I have great faith in Bruce Heald and the many HISTORIANS of Birch and Steamboat Islands. Always referred tom as Iron Wood and built by Leander Lavallee as he was so commissioned by W. E. Tucker in 1933. I am sure there are some Birch Islanders who visit this forum..please chime in. Also Merrill Fay
will have some recollection of this.
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #15
Kayla

Default American Hophornbeam Tree Fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

I did not realize there were hiking trails on Rattlesanke! How do you access ... I'd love to see the tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Hiking Rattlesnake Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
I did not realize there were hiking trails on Rattlesanke! How do you access ... I'd love to see the tree!
Hiking Rattlesnake Island - You can join Lakes Region Conservation Trust and use their dock on the southern end of the island.