Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Aquadeziac

Question GPS card

Just ordered a new Lowrance chartplotter and now I need the Winnipesaukee map on MicroSD card. Bizer no longer carries them. Any input on where I can get one? If I can't get a Bizer map what is the next best thing?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac View Post
Just ordered a new Lowrance chartplotter and now I need the Winnipesaukee map on MicroSD card. Bizer no longer carries them. Any input on where I can get one? If I can't get a Bizer map what is the next best thing?
The Navionics maps are the best and most detailed maps by far I have seen for the lake. The bottom contours are scary accurate and an excellent resource if you are a fisherman. It also shows all buoys and every permanent and seasonal dock on the lake as well as anything else you can imagine. After having this chip I wouldn't be without it.

http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

Dan
Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Aquadeziac

I am looking for Navigation more so than fishing. I know the old Bizer card in my old unit showed buoy numbers and Island names and was pretty much like the paper chart. Are the buoys and Islands marked on the Navionics card? I saw the Navionics and a couple others but didn't think the details would be as fine in a card that covers such a large area. Is the card available locally? How much does the card run?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
I am looking for Navigation more so than fishing. I know the old Bizer card in my old unit showed buoy numbers and Island names and was pretty much like the paper chart. Are the buoys and Islands marked on the Navionics card? I saw the Navionics and a couple others but didn't think the details would be as fine in a card that covers such a large area. Is the card available locally? How much does the card run?
This card is for navigation... Yes, the buoys and islands are all marked as well as a lot of other stuff. The card is available locally. I know Winnisquam Marine has them as well as AJ's Bait and Tackle in Meredith. I'm sure there are many other places in the area that have them as well. I paid $136.00 from Amazon for the Navionics Hotmaps Premium East edition (on SD/MicroSD Card)

Dan
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
dt5150

x2 on the navionics maps. i have the hotmaps platinum in my lowrance hds unit. it shows absolutely everything on the lake and even stuff on shore. marinas and their services, gas, food, you name it. and it's a satellite image of the land too so it's perfect accuracy wise. they're not cheap, but they're worth every penny. got mine at aj's a few years back.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquadeziac

How large an area does that card cover? Does it cover Winnisquam too? Thats on the little tiny MicroSD Card right? My unit will be here in 5-8 business days. Sounds like it has the detail I want. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
How large an area does that card cover? Does it cover Winnisquam too? Thats on the little tiny MicroSD Card right? My unit will be here in 5-8 business days. Sounds like it has the detail I want. Thanks.
It pretty much covers everything from the state of Illinois East!

Go here and click on section "E" to see the map coverage...http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

You won't go wrong with the Navionics chip.

Dan
Aquadeziac (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
dt5150

i don't think it has a high definition map of winnisquam, at least it didn't when i bought mine.. it might now though. but the map of winnipesaukee is incredible. check out navionic's site..

http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-platinum
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Just Sold

Garmin makes a download of Winni. I got one 3 years ago. $10. Works great. Of course I have the Garmin 541s GPS/Fish Finder.
They surveyed the lake last year so an updated version might be out this year. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...prod36400.html
Unfortunately I did not find your Lowrance.
Lowrance does make a map set for the NE US and they say Winnipesaukee is included. The premium version is $197.35, ouch, http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/det...-lowrance.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
JPC

Default Marine & Lakes USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Lowrance does make a map set for the NE US and they say Winnipesaukee is included. The premium version is $197.35, ouch, http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/det...-lowrance.html
I sail Winnipesaukee only so I didn't want a chart of the whole eastern seaboard. So I got the marine & lakes USA for $99. You download just the state that you want. The sample charts that Navionics displays on line, Smith Cove / Locke Island, show the marker in color and similar shape to the paper charts. When I powered up my Lowrance Elite 5 with this electronic chart I found that the only markers that were displayed in color, black/white and red/white were the lighted/numbered markers. All the others were white. When I called their tech support and complained about this they told me I had to move the cursor on the marker and the appropriate color info would be displayed. In the last update they finally added color to the red on white markers. The black/white markers were still all white.
I guess you get what you pay for.

I still like having this unit because there are certain times in late afternoon and the light conditions are just right some markers are near impossible to see until you are very close. Then you have to scramble to alter course. That is when the chart plotter comes in handy.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPC For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-30-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
Aquadeziac

$197 is a tad expensive. Unfortunately I didn't find out until after I ordered my Lorance that it is one level below where Bizer C-Map charts are still available. At $400 for the unit I am a little disappointed but I will just have to find a compatable chart card. Navionics looks promising at this point.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
lakershaker

Default Navtronics chart

You can see the actual charts for all the lakes here:
http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakershaker For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-29-2014), webmaster (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Aquadeziac

I checked out the link but am still out on a decision. I noticed several discrepancies in comparing with Bizer's laminated chart and personal knowledge of certain areas. Several red/black top buoys are missing or not in right location. What I have always known as Blueberry Island is shown as Minister Island. Lighted/numbered buoys are not numbered. Several markers in the Dockham Shore/Governors Island area are definitely not where I know they are.I know its a little thing if I already know the area but if a known area is misrepresented, what happens if I am in an unfamiliar area? I guess if I can not get the Bizer card I want, I will have to settle for the best that I can find, or suck it up and upgrade from a unit I haven't even received yet to a unit that will take a Bizer card.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Tired of Waiting

Exclamation I question this card as well?

Quote:
I checked out the link... Snip... I know its a little thing if I already know the area but if a known area is misrepresented, what happens if I am in an unfamiliar area? I guess if I can not get the Bizer card I want, I will have to settle for the best that I can find, or suck it up and upgrade from a unit I haven't even received yet to a unit that will take a Bizer card.

I agree,

I just looked at the link and the Ossipee lakes are missing a bunch of stuff.
Hazard markers in Leavitt, Broad bay is labeled as Ossipee lake and is missing hazard markers and the channel markers at spindle point to name a few. Also there are many no-wake markers missing.

I have a new Lowrance Elite-7HDI and was thinking about this card but now even I am questioning it's value.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Happy Gourmand

Default sample chart

That chart is probably a "sample", I bet it states somewhere on it or the link to get to it that it is not to be used for navigation or something to that effect. I also noticed plenty of stuff missing.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
ishoot308

Default Sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
That chart is probably a "sample", I bet it states somewhere on it or the link to get to it that it is not to be used for navigation or something to that effect. I also noticed plenty of stuff missing.
It is a sample...the maps are much more detailed!

If anyone wants me to check any specific area, just let me know what, as I use my lowrance and Navionics for ice fishing and will be using it this weekend. I will be more than happy to check a certain area out for you and even take a screen shot if you wish...

Dan
Aquadeziac (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
Aquadeziac

Thanks Dan, but its not actually about areas that I am familiar with so much as if/when I go to an area of the lake I may not have been to before. All of the blacktop markers along Dockham Shore up to the Governor's Island Bridge are way to far away from shore, it also shows 'Gilford Public Beach' as in the middle of the Witches. So many discrepancies that I can see makes me wonder how many I don't know about.......until it is too late. $200 is pretty steep for something I could get off a $25 Bizer hard chart. But if Bizer doesn't have a chart card for my unit, and Navionics is questionable, there are not many other choices. Just got a email about something called Lake Insight Pro that I am going to research. How do you like your level of Elite?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks Dan, but its not actually about areas that I am familiar with so much as if/when I go to an area of the lake I may not have been to before. All of the blacktop markers along Dockham Shore up to the Governor's Island Bridge are way to far away from shore, it also shows 'Gilford Public Beach' as in the middle of the Witches. So many discrepancies that I can see makes me wonder how many I don't know about.......until it is too late. $200 is pretty steep for something I could get off a $25 Bizer hard chart. But if Bizer doesn't have a chart card for my unit, and Navionics is questionable, there are not many other choices. Just got a email about something called Lake Insight Pro that I am going to research. How do you like your level of Elite?

Did you see above where I stated that what you were looking at was a sample?? The actual mapping chip is completely accurate and very detailed that is why I offered to take a screen shot of an area you were familiar with. I can guarantee you my chart does not show Gilford Public Beach in the witches!

I have navigated the lake my entire adult life and can tell you that this chip is NOT "questionable" as you keep stating... If you want the best this is what you buy.

Also, Not sure why you would pay $200.00 for the chip when I said in my post above you could them for $136.00???...

Just trying to help...

I have an HDS-7 Gen 2 and I love it!

Dan
Aquadeziac (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Aquadeziac

Right now I am leaning towards the Navionics card. I am watching an auction for a brand new sealed card on ebay. My plotter should be here by the weekend and I can start getting familiar with it. Auction ends on Sunday I think. Seems the Lake Insights Pro is a product of Lowrance but I can't seem to find any sample screens and from what I can see, it's geared more towards fishing. I understand there is a Bass Pro Shop in Hooksett and they have Navionics cards in stock. We'll see what the weekend brings. Really getting bored with the cold and snow.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #20
JPC

Default Lake Insights Pro

Quote:
Seems the Lake Insights Pro is a product of Lowrance but I can't seem to find any sample screens and from what I can see, it's geared more towards fishing. .
I was told that the Navionics HotMaps were the only e-charts that showed details of Winnipesaukee.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #21
Rich

I don't think that the future Bass Pro in Hooksett is open yet.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #22
Red apple

Opening February 20th
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
Aquadeziac

Just got off the phone and was told the Bass Pro Shop in Hooksett opens on Feb 6.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #24
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Did you see above where I stated that what you were looking at was a sample?? The actual mapping chip is completely accurate and very detailed that is why I offered to take a screen shot of an area you were familiar with. I can guarantee you my chart does not show Gilford Public Beach in the witches!

I have navigated the lake my entire adult life and can tell you that this chip is NOT "questionable" as you keep stating... If you want the best this is what you buy.

Also, Not sure why you would pay $200.00 for the chip when I said in my post above you could them for $136.00???...

Just trying to help...

I have an HDS-7 Gen 2 and I love it!

Dan
I agree. Got mine near the end of the 2012 season from West Marine for $139.95. I have a Humminbird unit (4 yrs old) and the chip works great with it. I always take the Bizer chart along for the big picture but I find the Hotmaps very accurate. Unless things have changed, Bizer only has a chip available for Garmin. Other than that, I'd put my vote in for the Navionics.
Aquadeziac (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #25
Rich

Quote:
Just got off the phone and was told the Bass Pro Shop in Hooksett opens on Feb 6.
Just in case anyone tries to drive a distance to get there, you may want to to double check to see if they will be open:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=94&storeID=93
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Also see this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Just in case anyone tries to drive a distance to get there, you may want to to double check to see if they will be open:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=94&storeID=93

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...903#post218903

Article in Post #11.
Aquadeziac (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #27
farechofisherman

Default Navionics

I have used the Navionics with my Lowrance for years and absolutely love it. It is highly accurate and I have been boating on Winni for over 50 years. It also adapts quite well to other bodies of water. I have used it on Lake Champlain and completey trust it there as well.
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Aquadeziac

Word is Bass Pro Shop opens in Hooksett on Feb 16th. I located a Navionics card on line and it is on its way. Took the new Elite4 to the lake today. Not impressed with the preloaded ware, will see how Navionics looks when it gets here.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #29
Dave M

Default Navionics in Garmin GPS

Got a Nuvi 2550 for XMAS. It can use a SD card. Does Navionics have
the Lake for Garmin GPS.

Is Bizer out of the GPS business.

Thanks Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave M For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #30
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default See Bizer's web page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Got a Nuvi 2550 for XMAS. It can use a SD card. Does Navionics have
the Lake for Garmin GPS.

Is Bizer out of the GPS business.

Thanks Dave M
Here is a link to his page... I have a Garman 76 and have the Bizer chart. It works well.

I used it on my old Garman Streetpilot, and as a navigation aid, it was fine. When I put my dock in as a waypoint, and subsequently told the unit to take me to that waypoint, my very nice female Streetpilot voice said " Drive to highlighted route, then turn left" (Route 11).

Here is the link:
http://bizer.com/

For units that use a Cmap cartridge, they can also get the Bizer map. It is not Bizer who makes the use of his chart on a GPS not usable... it is the companies being more proprietary with their charts, and not wanting to work with Bizer.
Aquadeziac (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #31
MikeF-NH

I've been using Navionics for about 5 years and absolutely love it. I think Platinum is the satellite image version which is why its more pricey. I'm not sure of my version (Gold I think) but it is more like a Bizer chart (no satellite imagery) and only cost me around $125. The nice thing is that should Navionics update their charts, you can trade in your card and buy the upgrade for half price.

I also carry a bizer because I'm old school and believe that electronics are great but CAN and WILL fail at some point and that is when a compass and map are invaluable. Also, if I want a big picture of the lake to decide where I'm heading or want to explore, I prefer to open the map rather than zoom in/out and pan with the electronic interface.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Aquadeziac (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #32
Aquadeziac

Just got my Navionics card today. In looking over the material, the first year of upgrades are free. Aperently, any upgrades are in download form with instructions on how to install them on your card. Any upgrades after the first year are purchased and come with installation instructions also.