Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
karenbentley

Default Best buffet brunch in the Lakes Region

Thanks to local celebrity chef, Michael Moore, Shalimar Resort on Lake Winnisquam is now putting out a fantastic, affordable brunch on Sundays from 10 am to 2pm. My husband and I drove down from Moultonborough, and it was well worth the trip. Some of the items we particularly liked include the lobster and scallop casserole, eggs benedict, prime rib, roasted potatoes, and too many excellent salads to mention individually. Shalimar also features custom omeletes and a wide range of yummy-looking desserts, which we passed on because of the New Year diet resolution thing. Their mimosas are a generous size, and they only cost $5. We loved it.

Karen Bentley (Americas Spiritual Reviewer, the My Thin Lifestyle Reviewer and creator of The Sugar-Free Miracle Diet System)
karenbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karenbentley For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (01-07-2010)
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Mike Moore

I wonder where Mike went. Someone mentioned the Tilton Inn and I went there for dinner. I ordered a grilled salmon and got a baked salmon. My date ordered a shrimp panavera but it was served with rice. Was told they ran out of pasta. I would not go back there again.

Going to try the Shalimar. Have not been there since the Contigiani's use to own it. I am told the daughter of the owner of the Brickyard Mtn Inn owns the resort.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbentley View Post
Thanks to local celebrity chef, Michael Moore, )

Michael Moore...Is that THE Michael Moore..? Just wondering.....and I don't want to get in trouble here. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
phoenix

well michael Moore certainly looks well feed
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
kechefs

How is he a celebrity?
kechefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Default Nascar

He use to have a tractor trailer converted into a gourmet restuarant. he would travel to all the NASCAR races and serve the drivers, pit crews and VIPs in the pit areas. He has been featured in many NASCAR tv specials and I believe there was a special on Food Court.

He settled here when he married the NASWA owners daughter, Victoria.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default This Michael Moore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Michael Moore...Is that THE Michael Moore..? Just wondering.....and I don't want to get in trouble here. NB
I don't think they mean this Michael Moore, if that's where you were going with the post!

http://www.michaelmoore.com/

And yes, this Michael Moore looks "well fed"...

Back to your regularly scheduled post.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbentley View Post
Thanks to local celebrity chef, Michael Moore, Shalimar Resort on Lake Winnisquam is now putting out a fantastic, affordable brunch on Sundays from 10 am to 2pm. My husband and I drove down from Moultonborough, and it was well worth the trip. Some of the items we particularly liked include the lobster and scallop casserole, eggs benedict, prime rib, roasted potatoes, and too many excellent salads to mention individually. Shalimar also features custom omeletes and a wide range of yummy-looking desserts, which we passed on because of the New Year diet resolution thing. Their mimosas are a generous size, and they only cost $5. We loved it.

Karen Bentley (Americas Spiritual Reviewer, the My Thin Lifestyle Reviewer and creator of The Sugar-Free Miracle Diet System)

Just a couple of questions for Karen Bently:

I really like Michael Moore and I enjoyed many visits to Willows but since most of us on the forum are suspicious of anyone who's first post seems to promote a specific business I was just wondering:

What made you drive from Moultonboro to Shalimar to try this buffet?

What diet can you get to work while eating: the lobster and scallop casserole, eggs benedict, prime rib, roasted potatoes, and too many excellent salads to mention? (I want to get on that diet!)

Do you have any personal or financial connection to the Shalimar (nice place) or Michael Moore?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

I really like Michael Moore and I enjoyed many visits to Willows but since most of us on the forum are suspicious of anyone who's first post seems to promote a specific business I was just wondering:

What diet can you get to work while eating: the lobster and scallop casserole, eggs benedict, prime rib, roasted potatoes, and too many excellent salads to mention? (I want to get on that diet!)

Do you have any personal or financial connection to the Shalimar (nice place) or Michael Moore?
Karen,

I still have several Gift Certificates that I purchased just before the Willows crowd shut the doors and vacated the place at the corner of Rt11 and Lucerne Ave near the Weirs. I have a place on Lucerne Ave and we were frequent customers. The Gift Certificates were purchased as Christmas Gifts a few years back.

I have been completely unsuccessful in redeeming these certificates, although I have tried.

If you have any connection to this defunct operation, I would like to be made whole for the value of these certificates, more that $250. I do not like spending my money on something that is completely worthless and I do not like promoting anyone associated with that operation without warning of the history.

If you are not related, be aware of the history!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (01-08-2010), Winnigirl83 (01-08-2010)
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Winnigirl83

R2B-
You're not alone. I also have gift certificates from Willow's (totaling $100). Because he did this knowingly to people makes me leery of going into an establishment that might put any money in Michael Moore's pocket. My biggest problem is I don't know why I can't throw the darn things away!

As for "first posters", everyone has to start somewhere. I'd like to give KarenBentley the benefit of the doubt. I think it's unfair that we judge so quickly. I'm not pointing any fingers, I include myself in this category - when I see a first post like this, I first roll my eyes. Then I try to step back and think when I've been so happy or unhappy about something that I just want to tell everyone. I hope this is the case for KB.

Phew, I feel better now!

Last edited by Winnigirl83; 01-08-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
angela4design

Question Defunct Trifecta

I too have Gift Certificates for Goodfellas, Willows AND Michael's - ALL THREE of his defunct restaurants.

But, I wonder if we're talking about the same "Michael" here? Moore is not the name of the owner of those restaurants. (unless he was the chef???)
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
Winnigirl83

Default Two different Michaels

Michael Moore owned Willow's.

Willow's closed and was taken over by another Michael (don't know his last name) who called it "Michael's". This Michael used to own Goodfellas in downtown Laconia and now runs the restaurant that used to be Schofield's at the Gunstock Inn. I'm not sure what the new place is called.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Gatto Nero

Default Karan Bently

Quote:

It's not difficult to find out a little bit about her.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Gift certifcates

Are refundable by NH law. You folks with gift certificates should contact the NH district attorney's office. They should be able to help you.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Lucky1

Default ????????

Quote:

I am wondering if this is the welcome I would want from my first post? It does not feel right to me.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (01-08-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
karenbentley

Default Why we like Michael Moore and Shalimar

Thank you all so much for your interest in my comments. My husband and I drove all the way to Shalimar from Moultonborough because my husband is a brunch affectionado (and there aren't all that many choices inthe winter time) and specifically to have some of Michael Moore's delicious cooking. We used to love his brunch at Willow, too. Didn't know what happened to him until we saw the Shalimar ad which featured him as head chef, and that was the inspiration to make the trip.

Neither my husband nor I have any connection whatsoever to Shalimar or to Michael. I doubt he even remembers who we are. No one is paying me to say this. No one asked me to say it. No one gave me a free T-shirt or even a free drink.

As for dieting while eating out, I do pretty well sticking to protein choices, veggies and salads, and there are plenty of those.

And, no, this is not THE Michael Moore, the documentary film-maker.
karenbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karenbentley For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-14-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Pineedles

Default Shalimar

I found what I believe to be the correct Shalimar,

http://www.shalimar-resort.com

but I can find nothing on their website about brunch??

They need to update their website.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Default Meredith McD's

I know everyone turns their noses up when suggest'n McDonald's, but the Meredith McDonald's has like the best cooked food of any McD's on the planet, and I have tried each & every one.

Sett'n up on top of Sunset Hill, with views to the north of the southern white mountains: Mt Sandwich, Squam, Double Head, Three Sisters & Osceola, the Meredith McD's cook'n lives up to its' view plus it had a major moose modeling motif done inside the place throughout, a couple years back.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
Aquadeziac

Default info

maybe karenbently can enlighten us as to the price of this Brunch?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #20
Lucky1

Hi Karen Bentley,

I am still learning how a forum works but here is a WELCOME from me.

Do you happen to know of any place for Sunday Brunch that has a buffet with a carving bar and all kinds of hot dishes etc etc?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Lake House Grill Meredith

The Lake House Grill is owned by The Common Man family of restaurants and always serves a wonderful bunch including carving stations. The best thing about the Common Man is that TODAY ONLY they will send to HAITI 1/2 of your total bill to help those poor people devastated by the earthquake.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hubbard Rd For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (01-17-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Lucky1

Where is the Lake House Grill? Too late for me to go this weekend but will keep it in mind. Thank you. Do you know of any others?

I donated to Haiti relief efforts already. I hope the Common Mad did a ton of business today! What a great and generous idea!!! (I sure wish we could do more before it is too late to rescue those who are still trapped. It really haunts me but I know it is not a lake topic by itself.)
Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
The Lake House Grill is owned by The Common Man family of restaurants and always serves a wonderful bunch including carving stations. The best thing about the Common Man is that TODAY ONLY they will send to HAITI 1/2 of your total bill to help those poor people devastated by the earthquake.
Thanks Old Hubbard Rd. We have gone to the Lake House Grille for Sunday brunch!!! I did not remember the name of the restaurant in Church Landing that has that brunch. I am sorry to have missed the generous offer from the Common Man restaurants today.

Is there some way that any Winnipesaukee Forum Members who wanted to donate could have a site to send donations for Haiti relief efforts? Do we have an address somewhere? Would it be a good idea to have a check sent from all of us? Each could send anywhere from one dollar on up. Then the contribution could come from this forum. There are many members. Must be someone in charge of this forum who has an office and staff of something? Who knows if or how this could be done?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
Boston Fireguy

A friend of mine stayed at the Shalimar Resort 2 weeks ago and he mentioned how good the restaurant is there.
Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Is there some way that any Winnipesaukee Forum Members who wanted to donate could have a site to send donations for Haiti relief efforts? Do we have an address somewhere? Would it be a good idea to have a check sent from all of us? Each could send anywhere from one dollar on up. Then the contribution could come from this forum. There are many members. Must be someone in charge of this forum who has an office and staff of something? Who knows if or how this could be done?
Not sure if it matters to you where it comes from but a lot of hype in different media including the NFL and sports talk radio show WEEI was given to texting the word haiti to 92999. A return text will ask you to confirm and $10 will be charged to your phone account. They have raised over 8 million as of this morning.
Lucky1 (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
Lucky1

Many of us have donated already individually. I thought that those who wanted to give from the Forum could send to the company that runs this. The company could send one large donation from this site. The Common Man offer made me think how this Forum could do something. Just an idle thought.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #27
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Many of us have donated already individually. I thought that those who wanted to give from the Forum could send to the company that runs this. The company could send one large donation from this site. The Common Man offer made me think how this Forum could do something. Just an idle thought.
There is no company that runs this website - just one individual. This website was born out of his love for the Lakes Region of NH, and he continues to provide this website for all of us who share that love. Sorry - no offices, no secretaries, just a great guy who works a ton of hours at his regular job and then somehow manages to find the time to tend to all the administrative work required to maintain this amazing site.
BroadHopper (01-20-2010), eillac@dow (01-20-2010), KPW (01-20-2010), Meredith lady (01-22-2010), mets3007 (01-20-2010), robmac (01-20-2010), rrr (01-20-2010), SteveA (01-22-2010), trfour (01-20-2010), webmaster (01-21-2010), WinnDixie (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #28
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Winnipesaukee forum

Well stated, Pepper!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
There is no company that runs this website - just one individual. This website was born out of his love for the Lakes Region of NH, and he continues to provide this website for all of us who share that love. Sorry - no offices, no secretaries, just a great guy who works a ton of hours at his regular job and then somehow manages to find the time to tend to all the administrative work required to maintain this amazing site.
Thanks Pepper!

For those interested in donating to the Haiti relief effort I have set up an account with the Red Cross so that donations made through the banners on this site will be made on behalf of the donator and winnipesaukee.com.

Click on this banner or see the announcement at the top of the forums.

International Response Fund
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #30
WinnDixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
My goodness...Don, you just contributed to the hi-jacking of a thread....just sayin'....
Well, Webmaster, thumbs up for that particular bit of "piracy"!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
sa meredith

Default mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
Well, Webmaster, thumbs up for that particular bit of "piracy"!
Post was 100 percent meant to be a joke. Not serious at all.
I've deleted it.
Sorry
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
WinnDixie (01-21-2010)
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #32
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Post was 100 percent meant to be a joke. Not serious at all.
I've deleted it.
Sorry

Understood it to be 100% meant as a joke, as I am sure all did. No worries!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #33
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Understood it to be 100% meant as a joke, as I am sure all did. No worries!
Piracy for a worthy cause is alright on my books

google Haiti pirates. Seems like they go hand in hand.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #34
mr1drfl

Default The Lobster Pound

Has anyone checked out the Sunday brunch at the Lobster Pound?
mr1drfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #35
Woodsy

Thumbs up Lobster Pound.... BRUNCH!!

The Lobster Pound recently started serving brunch on sundays. I had read about thier new chef in the LaSun and me and the gf decided to check it out... twice! Both times we were not at all dissapointed! The food was very good... Waffles, Omelet station, Eggs benedict (some with crab or lobster), Prime Rib etc... it was delicious. Best of all the head chef was the guy in the Yankees hat cooking the waffles & omelets & carving the prime rib! It was great to chat with him... I expect there will be some great changes made to the menu at the Lob Pound!

Woodsy

PS: the $1 dollar drafts and .25 cent wings for happy hour 4-7 would make FLL proud!
Lyver (01-29-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #36
BroadHopper

Default A Yankee hat?

He's a bit ballsy.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #37
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Try the 104 Diner. We stopped in the other morning and breakfast was pretty good.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #38
Lyver

Default Lobster Pound Brunch = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The Lobster Pound recently started serving brunch on sundays. I had read about thier new chef in the LaSun and me and the gf decided to check it out... twice! Both times we were not at all dissapointed! The food was very good... Waffles, Omelet station, Eggs benedict (some with crab or lobster), Prime Rib etc... it was delicious. Best of all the head chef was the guy in the Yankees hat cooking the waffles & omelets & carving the prime rib! It was great to chat with him... I expect there will be some great changes made to the menu at the Lob Pound!
My husband and I went to the Sunday breakfast buffet at the Lobster Pound a few weeks ago and were very impressed! One of the BEST brunches we've had in the Lakes Region in a long time! The price was a little high, but when you go you will see why... lobster eggs benedict, fresh salmon, make your own omelet and waffle stations, Prime Rib, endless Shrimp, all great! We went to the breakfast buffet at the Shalimar last weekend and that was great too, except wasn't as great as the Lobster Pound and was a little too crowded for our taste. Thanks to Mike and Rich Ray for putting on such a great assortment of foods at the Lobster Pound breakfast buffet. We will DEFINITELY be back and I highly encourage others to try this fantastic brunch. You will not be disappointed!
Lyver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyver For This Useful Post:
robmac (01-31-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #39
SIKSUKR

Default Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyver View Post
The price was a little high, but when you go you will see why... lobster eggs benedict, fresh salmon, make your own omelet and waffle stations, Prime Rib, endless Shrimp, all great!
How much was it?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #40
robmac

The brunch at the Lobster Pound is $ 15.95 for adults half off for children under 12, sounds like a deal my family and I need to check out after or during the Alton Winter Carnival.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (02-04-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
Pineedles

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
The brunch at the Lobster Pound is $ 15.95 for adults half off for children under 12, sounds like a deal my family and I need to check out after or during the Alton Winter Carnival.
THAT'S a deal.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #42
Lyver

Default Lobster Poun Brunch Price

My husband and I go out for brunch every Sunday and are used to a bill around $30 , including tip and drinks. I love the brunch at Lobster Pound, just can't afford to go there every Sunday, but still not a bad price
Lyver is offline   Reply With Quote