Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
lakevet

Default Anchor fit

I'm interested in getting a mantus anchor. Does any one know how well or if they fit in bow anchor locker. My 13 lb danforth fluke fits nicely because it folds. I am concerned that the mantus won't fit.
I have a 23 ft four wins bow rider. Looking at either the 8 or 13vlb mantus. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
lakevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
Rich

I have a Mantus and like it s lot.

I'd suggest that you visit the Mantus web site. Mantus has detailed drawings that you can download for each size anchor. Check all of your dimensions to be sure of the fit.

I ended up getting a Mantus that was one size too large for my boat considering my needs. If it was 1 inch longer it wouldn't fit. But it holds like crazy! Had I known, I would have gone with the next smaller size.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakevet View Post
I'm interested in getting a mantus anchor. Does any one know how well or if they fit in bow anchor locker. My 13 lb danforth fluke fits nicely because it folds. I am concerned that the mantus won't fit.
I have a 23 ft four wins bow rider. Looking at either the 8 or 13vlb mantus. Thanks.

I spent a substantial amount of time researching anchors a few years ago and posted my results in the forum. As part of the process, I bought a 13# for my 20' pontoon. Even though the Mantus guide suggested 8#, I figured with the bimini (read: giant sail), I would go the next size up. The 13 was too much/unnecessary, so I went to two 8's (bow and stern).

The 8's held us in place for over 4 hours at WA a couple Sundays ago, when wind speeds were around 13-15mph and there was tons of chop. I posted about how I could've sold a bunch of anchors that day.

If you only need one, and you want something that will be unequivocally reliable, go with the 13. It is bigger, for sure, but it fit under one of my pontoon front seats, so it's not that much bigger than the 8 (though it definitely feels it).

If you also need a stern anchor, buy an 8 and try it out front before deciding. I sold my 13 to someone with a 26' runabout, and he says the holding power is incredible.

Either way, search around--Sailor Sam's and a few other places will sell them cheaper and with free shipping most of the time.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Bud63

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I spent a substantial amount of time researching anchors a few years ago and posted my results in the forum. As part of the process, I bought a 13# for my 20' pontoon. Even though the Mantus guide suggested 8#, I figured with the bimini (read: giant sail), I would go the next size up. The 13 was too much/unnecessary, so I went to two 8's (bow and stern).

The 8's held us in place for over 4 hours at WA a couple Sundays ago, when wind speeds were around 13-15mph and there was tons of chop. I posted about how I could've sold a bunch of anchors that day.

If you only need one, and you want something that will be unequivocally reliable, go with the 13. It is bigger, for sure, but it fit under one of my pontoon front seats, so it's not that much bigger than the 8 (though it definitely feels it).

If you also need a stern anchor, buy an 8 and try it out front before deciding. I sold my 13 to someone with a 26' runabout, and he says the holding power is incredible.

Either way, search around--Sailor Sam's and a few other places will sell them cheaper and with free shipping most of the time.

Cheers!

I too spent a lot of time researching anchors after discovering that the anchor/windlass combo that came with my Cobalt R7 wouldn't hold worth a damn on any surface. I went with the Mantus 13lb stainless for the front and the 8 lb for the rear. After hauling the 13lb anchor from the engine compartment everytime I needed to use it for 2 years I put a stainless 8lb on the front windlass and a Mantus dinghy anchor on the rear. Both work flawlessly in rough chop and high winds!

Anybody want a 13lb stainless Mantus anchor?
Bud63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud63 View Post
I too spent a lot of time researching anchors after discovering that the anchor/windlass combo that came with my Cobalt R7 wouldn't hold worth a damn on any surface. I went with the Mantus 13lb stainless for the front and the 8 lb for the rear. After hauling the 13lb anchor from the engine compartment everytime I needed to use it for 2 years I put a stainless 8lb on the front windlass and a Mantus dinghy anchor on the rear. Both work flawlessly in rough chop and high winds!

Anybody want a 13lb stainless Mantus anchor?
Mantus definitely doesn't overrate their products.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #6
Dave R

They are similarly sized to any typical plow-style anchor and you should not have any issues getting it to fit into the locker on a 23 foot boat. I would guess it's no longer than a 13 lb Danforth and quite a bit narrower. Just curious, why are you changing anchors?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
Hillcountry

I researched both Mantus and Digger anchors and decided on the Digger based on prominent, member’s (Ishoot308) recommendation.
So far it has done its job flawlessly...and it folds!
I have not been to any sand bars recently but last time I did the Digger anchor held fine in a windy chop but our little danforth that came free with the boat would not hold fast on the stern. Been meaning to upgrade the useless danforth style one to a good one but have not yet done this.
Either the Mantus or Digger will be a great anchor!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
Phantom

I know this has been debated long ago, and I respect the research that thinkxingu and others have done ………. but we went for the "Fortress" back 3 seasons ago and have been absolutely AMAZED at how this thing grabs first time/every time and holds rock solid in the toughest of sandbar wave/wind conditions.

The biggest plus is that it is light as a feather, so my wife has no issues handling it.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I know this has been debated long ago, and I respect the research that thinkxingu and others have done ………. but we went for the "Fortress" back 3 seasons ago and have been absolutely AMAZED at how this thing grabs first time/every time and holds rock solid in the toughest of sandbar wave/wind conditions.

The biggest plus is that it is light as a feather, so my wife has no issues handling it.
If you recall, there were 4 anchors I found to be overall reliable: Mantus, Digger, Box, and Fortress. In fact, Fortress almost always proves to be the strongest hold overall--in a linear application. With any amount of swinging, the others begin to do a better job.

This was confirmed just yesterday in Smith Cove, when our friends had to reset their Fortress twice in three hours because their swinging boat kept slipping whereas our Mantus resets almost immediately when shifted. This doesn't happen often at all--the winds in that cove shift more than most places--but our pontoon's large bimini makes it something we need to deal with.

For the record, Fortress ≠ standard Danforth. Almost every new and rental boat comes with that crappy Seachoice anchor, which LOOKS LIKE a Fortress, but the geometry and small details are much different.

Side note: why marinas do that is absurd to me--sandbar visitors get so annoyed being unable to easily set while also risking negative interactions with others. I think even the boat club place has the same crappy anchors, because somebody I helped last week muttered something about paying enough for good equipment.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

I concur!

Fortress is a great AND light anchor.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
lakevet

Thanks for the input. I did go to the mantus site and am currently looking at two paper anchors on my floor. It's the roll bar of the 13 lb that seems like it could be the problem. I will look at digger since the folding is useful .
My boat came with the cheaper style danforth. Its ok,but there are times I would like to fuss less and trust more,especially when wake and chop happen.
I do know that usually its insufficient scope that leads to problems,but still interested in trying to find a better anchor to overcome my mistakes!

lakevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakevet View Post
Thanks for the input. I did go to the mantus site and am currently looking at two paper anchors on my floor. It's the roll bar of the 13 lb that seems like it could be the problem. I will look at digger since the folding is useful .
My boat came with the cheaper style danforth. Its ok,but there are times I would like to fuss less and trust more,especially when wake and chop happen.
I do know that usually its insufficient scope that leads to problems,but still interested in trying to find a better anchor to overcome my mistakes!

Have a look at the Rocna Vulcan if the roll bar is an issue. That's my next anchor, specifically because the roll bar won't work in my pulpit.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-22-2019)