Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #101
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
SAMIAM, you do know that all of us here on this site can run your very successful business better than you, Right? After all we all have run a nice like village kitchen eatery that NO one has ever found an issue with!!

I know your policy and carry cash when I drive buy to have a bite to eat. Just saying.

ToW
I know. You are very patient, Sam! I agree with Tow. People love to give advice don't they? Keep on doing what you have been doing all these years!
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
tummyman (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #102
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Why would Sam change anything?... They already have customers lined up out the door waiting to come in! They obviously know the recipe for success and have been a VERY successful business in an area where many fail. Why change a thing?... I know I wouldn't...

Dan
Old 06-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #103
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

No different than Pop's... cash or a check drawn on a NH bank.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #104
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Had to chuckle over this one.....wish I could stash a little mad money but,unfortunately we have a POS system......can't get a muffin out of the kitchen that's not recorded on the computer.
It's really not the 3% fee that keeps us from taking plastic.On busy days there is sometimes a line 4 or 5 deep waiting to pay and processing credit cards would slow things down.
I'm sure everyone here can remember a time they were waiting in line for a long transaction and a rejection can cause cause a huge delay.
Most of our customers are not here to linger over the lavish decorations.They want a good meal at a fair price and then want to get on with their day so we choose to keep things moving as fast as possible.BTW,if you need to use the ATM your bank will refund the fee if you save your receipt.
We know that the day will come when we have to make that change but for now it is working.
Yeah right.....Nuff said.....Bye....
Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #105
rsmlp

Default Vk

After reading X number of responses in this thread I have to say that I am amazed at the silly things people can bitch at. I mean seriously people, is this all you have to do? If you don't like VK's policy of cash only, don't eat there!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #106
Rusty

Restaurants that don't take credit cards are saying: "Hey customer, **** you!"
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #107
meredith weekender

All this talk about the VK makes me want to go have breakfast there this weekend. Guess we are going to the VK on Saturday morning.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #108
Tired of Waiting

Default Standing in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Last time there I had to stand in a waiting line to get a seat. Sure am glad I didn't have to stand in line waiting for your credit card to clear to get out.

And I never heard any customer standing in line to get in say the place was saying **** You cause they couldn't use their plastic money.

ToW
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #109
HomeWood

The VK's cash policy? I like the break from technology. How did people ever make it for all those years without cards?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #110
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
That is ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #111
Happy Gourmand

The line outside the door on weekend mornings says it all. The great food at great prices are worth the minor inconvenience of not accepting credit cards. My only complaint is that we don't get there as often as we used to when we were in Moultonboro. Breakfast as good as any in the area, and better than most....oh boy...now I'm craving the Farmer's Breakfast!!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #112
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is ridiculous.
That could be, but any restaurant that refuses credit cards is losing 25-30% in business.
There is no doubt that VK has good food and service, I am not critizing that.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #113
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
That could be, but any restaurant that refuses credit cards is losing 25-30% in business.
I think they should accept CCs, too, but VK simply couldn't handle 25% more business, anyway. I don't think I've ever not waited, which is why we don't go there much. And it's not always been because of customers.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Rusty (06-12-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #114
wifi

Quote:
I'd rather they keep it as they are, so the line is 30% shorter
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #115
Rusty

Customers who pay with a credit card will spend more money on their meal, servers get bigger tips, etc...
Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #116
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Proof?

Quote:
Can you please cite the source of the information that the restaurant is losing 25 - 30% of it's business?

Also, please cite the source of the information that "Customers who pay with a credit card will spend more money on their meal, servers get bigger tips, etc"

I am just wondering how you know these things.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:42 AM   #117
Rusty

IMO A place that doesn't take cards is not good, but a place that doesn't take cards and has an ATM right outside—that's just straight up evil. It's like "thanks for patronizing our establishment, let me kick you in your soft spot on the way out!"

The 25-30% that I stated could even be higher.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #118
NonVoting Taxpayer

I find all of this very amusing. If the owner doesn't want to take credit cards, sorry, but it's his business decision. I'll say what Samiam can't as a business owner. TAKE YOUR PLASTIC SOMEWHERE ELSE as there are many who don't mind payng cash. It doesn't sound like his business is hurting so why would he change and pay money to banks in the form of a 1% - 3% service charge?
I'm sure if he opened up on Saturday and no one showed up he would rethink his business model but it doesn't look like he needs to do that.
Samiam is actually telling all of you who for one reason or another won't carry cash to go to the ATM outside and you pay the service charge out of your pocket. To me that is a great business decision on his part. He doesn't have to raise the price of meals to his cash paying customers and those who like to pay by plastic (and think the prices should be increased to pay bank fees) can pay more as has been mentioned above. So what's the problem?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NonVoting Taxpayer For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (06-12-2015), Crusty (06-12-2015), Jersey Ed (06-12-2015), mhtranger (06-12-2015), Newbiesaukee (06-12-2015), Pineedles (06-12-2015), Rusty (06-12-2015), Sue Doe-Nym (06-12-2015), tummyman (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #119
SAB1

Funny stuff here. VK is great food, no doubt. Cant even come close to a breakfast like that in Wolfeboro. I don't mind having to spend cash at all but......I gotta agree with Rusty here. The world runs on credit these days and there are definitely folks that don't eat there because they don't take credit. The younger generation coming along is very different from the one that raised them. I've got 2 kids in their 20's and all credit and debit cards, never cash. They, VK, have plenty of business from what I see when I'm in there and agree it is their decision for sure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (06-13-2015), Rusty (06-12-2015), SAMIAM (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #120
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
I find all of this very amusing. If the owner doesn't want to take credit cards, sorry, but it's his business decision. I'll say what Samiam can't as a business owner. TAKE YOUR PLASTIC SOMEWHERE ELSE as there are many who don't mind payng cash. It doesn't sound like his business is hurting so why would he change and pay money to banks in the form of a 1% - 3% service charge?
I'm sure if he opened up on Saturday and no one showed up he would rethink his business model but it doesn't look like he needs to do that.
Samiam is actually telling all of you who for one reason or another won't carry cash to go to the ATM outside and you pay the service charge out of your pocket. To me that is a great business decision on his part. He doesn't have to raise the price of meals to his cash paying customers and those who like to pay by plastic (and think the prices should be increased to pay bank fees) can pay more as has been mentioned above. So what's the problem?
I agree with all that you have said, I was talking about businesses in general and some businesses like VK seem to be doing a booming business.

With todays technology it's nice to see that some businesses can survive without using what is available.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #121
Major

Default SAB1 is Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
The younger generation coming along is very different from the one that raised them. I've got 2 kids in their 20's and all credit and debit cards, never cash.
I work in Boston, and go out to lunch nearly every day. When I buy lunch and offer cash, the clerks, who are usually in their 20s, look at me like I have two heads. Kids (30 and under) NEVER carry cash. So while the model works now for VK, at some point it will have to change. The market will demand it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
dpg (06-15-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #122
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I work in Boston, and go out to lunch nearly every day. When I buy lunch and offer cash, the clerks, who are usually in their 20s, look at me like I have two heads. Kids (30 and under) NEVER carry cash. So while the model works now for VK, at some point it will have to change. The market will demand it.
Hate to admit it but I think you're right.People that know us don't mind at all but people who are traveling expect to use plastic.Believe me,it's been a hot topic of conversation around here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Major (06-12-2015), Rusty (06-12-2015), VitaBene (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #123
SIKSUKR

My local favorite pizza place is cash only also.I now almost never have cash and use a debit card.Has it stopped me from going there?No but for a while they didn't have ATM at their location and none were close to me.I did get food elsewhere a few times for that reason.Think of the VK as a hot dog cart or the like where most likely you use cash there also.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 06-15-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #124
Crusty

I occasionally eat at the Waffle House, a regional chain. They are open 24/7, are noted for their friendly atmosphere, good prices, and good food. Although primarily a breakfast place, they also serve non-breakfast fare. They opened their first restaurant in 1955 and grew to 1,500 locations by 2006.

I bring this up because, until 2006, they were a cash-only business.

They were obviously successful when folks had to hit an (offsite) ATM before coming in. I can attest that the locations I've visited were full of well-fed people with change in their pockets. However, when demographics started to affect their bottom line, Waffle House made the decision to accept plastic. They made the necessary price adjustments (to give the banks' their cut) and continued on. I still go there and, strangely, it's the only place where I still pay with cash.

My point is that the Village Kitchen is successful in their current model. I'm sure that they have made a few changes over the years to their menu, procedures, and equipment. If and when it makes sense for them to accept plastic, I'm sure they will make whatever adjustments are required and continue as a successful venture.

Armchair restauranteurs who insist on telling successful restaurant owners what they're doing wrong, well, it seems a bit presumptuous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (06-13-2015), gillygirl (06-14-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #125
Newbiesaukee

It's not presumptuous, it's the Internet.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #126
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Armchair restauranteurs who insist on telling successful restaurant owners what they're doing wrong, well, it seems a bit presumptuous.
Some of us here have actual business experience...

Obviously what the VK is doing today is working out well for them, but that doesn't mean it will last forever and it's usually advantageous, in any business, to adapt with (or slightly ahead of) your core customer demographic.

I've worked with a lot of small businesses who think that accepting credit cards is going to cut into their bottom line or otherwise have some measurable negative effect. Usually this is not true (exceptions being when your median ticket is less than $10 or for some reason you would be highly prone to false charge-backs).

In most cases accepting payments via credit card speeds the overall payment flow, gets your money in the bank quicker (no waiting for checks to clear) reduces employee risk of having to take cash deposits to the bank, reduces chances of employee theft or cash mis-counts, and increases your average ticket (this varies depending on the business).

I don't work for a credit card company, and I have no vested interest in the VK. But if they have chosen not to accept credit cards for urban-legendish reasons it makes sense to point out the other side of the argument (IMO).

At this point they might as well look past just credit cards and look at NFC/contactless payment options as well (since contactless credit card terminals will be the requirement for credit-card readers next year anyway).
Old 06-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #127
Shreddy

I've stated my opinion before that I'll rummage whatever crevices I need to find quarters or any other change if I am short on cash for a farmer's breakfast. No, I won't use the ATM because the surcharge and the ADDITIONAL surcharge by my own bank (haven't done this in years but it used to be like $3).

Regardless, to agree with some others, I am the younger generation and no we don't like cash. In all honesty, you guys think accepting plastic is the issue but lets be honest for a second. I barely even use plastic anymore. Coffee in the morning at Sbux or Dunkin I use my app, that is linked to my card./account with an auto reload from paypal. Out to lunch? Most of the establishments, including my building, accept LevelUp which is an app paying service that is linked to my card. Pickup the dinner tab for me and a friend? No big deal, just Venmo me what you owe. I need a ride? Uber or Lyft are both on my phone and linked directly to my accounts. Not going to try and explain these upgrades in technology but learn about it. If you want change, then make it realistic and get with the times.

With that said, all you people looking for them to accept plastic are far behind the times. Funny how that works huh?
Old 06-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #128
VitaBene

Quote:
Hate to admit it but I think you're right.People that know us don't mind at all but people who are traveling expect to use plastic.Believe me,it's been a hot topic of conversation around here.
Yeah it is- I was in for lunch and was partly responsible for winding Rhonda up!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #129
Tired of Waiting

Default What?

Quote:
I agree with all that you have said, I was talking about businesses in general and some businesses like VK seem to be doing a booming business.

With todays technology it's nice to see that some businesses can survive without using what is available.
If it's nice to see then why are you complaining about how VK is doing business?

ToW
Old 06-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #130
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
.Think of the VK as a hot dog cart or the like where most likely you cash there also.
I'll remember that.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #131
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I've stated my opinion before that I'll rummage whatever crevices I need to find quarters or any other change if I am short on cash for a farmer's breakfast. No, I won't use the ATM because the surcharge and the ADDITIONAL surcharge by my own bank (haven't done this in years but it used to be like $3).

Regardless, to agree with some others, I am the younger generation and no we don't like cash. In all honesty, you guys think accepting plastic is the issue but lets be honest for a second. I barely even use plastic anymore. Coffee in the morning at Sbux or Dunkin I use my app, that is linked to my card./account with an auto reload from paypal. Out to lunch? Most of the establishments, including my building, accept LevelUp which is an app paying service that is linked to my card. Pickup the dinner tab for me and a friend? No big deal, just Venmo me what you owe. I need a ride? Uber or Lyft are both on my phone and linked directly to my accounts. Not going to try and explain these upgrades in technology but learn about it. If you want change, then make it realistic and get with the times.

With that said, all you people looking for them to accept plastic are far behind the times. Funny how that works huh?
I'm definately hearing what you're saying.....I believe there are no fee's when you pay with your phone app so when the time comes for us to move into the 21st century there might be enough of folks like you to offset the credit card fee's.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #132
Shreddy

Quote:
I'm definately hearing what you're saying.....I believe there are no fee's when you pay with your phone app so when the time comes for us to move into the 21st century there might be enough of folks like you to offset the credit card fee's.
I'm not going to stop coming in regardless of whatever you do. But, with that said, all the OLD TIMERS that think plastic is the issue are far behind the times. Thank you for hearing me here! I think it would be a great step in the forward direction....WHEN you're ready to step into the 21st century that is. In the meantime, cash it is for me!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #133
tis

It's almost scary how fast things are changing. You will just change to plastic, Sam and they won't be doing it any more. It will all be off the phone. Can you keep up??
Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #134
wifi

Only thing left is earning the money to pay all those charges
Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #135
Orion

Default behind times already

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's almost scary how fast things are changing. You will just change to plastic, Sam and they won't be doing it any more. It will all be off the phone. Can you keep up??
tis, you're behind the times already.....we're paying with our watches now!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #136
tis

Yep, see I forgot. I AM behind ALREADY! I just can't keep up!!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #137
dpg

Major hit the nail right on the head and that's all I was trying to say about the "plastic" debate is that the market will demand it someday whether the current owner wants to make the change or not. You need to adapt and change with the times to survive. Sure people now don't mind paying cash because they have to. I'd be willing to bet (just my opinion) if the VK started taking plastic they would see a drastic switch and have at least 75% of customers paying that way. Even the "old timers" that have been eating there for years would pay this way. I'm fully aware losing my business once in awhile isn't going to close the place but I've more than once stopped at Buckeys for this very reason, I will not pay a fee to get at cash through an ATM. Again my business once in awhile means nothing but what if 20, 30 or 40 individuals and families are doing the same thing weekly. In the summer times that's probably very realistic. Some day the "old time" cash carrying payers will be gone then what? Maybe by then Samian will be retired and it will be the next owners burning platform.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #138
TiltonBB

Default Cash Economy

There is a huge percentage of the economy that is "underground"

"Estimates are that underground activity last year totaled as much as $2 trillion, according to a study by Edgar Feige, an economist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison."

Those people, some of whom work for cash, many who could not qualify for a credt card, will always exist. Many people deal in cash just so that their personal cash flow does not leave a paper trail. There was a former mayor of Boston who had no checking account and paid all his bills with cash or a Postal Money Order. That makes it pretty difficult for the IRS to see the whole picture.

Drug use is estimated to be a $60 billion a year business in the United States. As far as I know that is still a cash business.

I don't see a time in the future when we go to all plastic and paper money doesn't exist. For some people, that is all they have.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #139
Objective, Not PC

Default Value! (good food, quantity & prices) & Pleasant Setting

We always seek value (see any of our other reviews).

Any idiot can spend a lot of money on overpriced, over-hyped food and defend their position by saying "you get what you pay for". And as we all know, simple platitudes like that are for the simple-minded. No, you do NOT have to pay a lot to get decent food or anything else for that matter. And so...

A simple, family-oriented restaurant. Not gourmet, but good. Varied menu. Pleasant servers.
The food is humble, not gourmet. The setting is plain and comfortable, not exotic The portions are good-sized.

And...very comfortably-priced. We never regret what we paid and do not feel victimized as we do with some other restaurants where they have an over-inflated sense of their worth or quality.

We enjoy our visits here and will return. More places should be like this one. (The Bradford Bakery / Restaurant is another of similar ilk.)

This is, as always, just our opinion. Do your own research, form your own opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Objective, Not PC For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #140
phoenix

yep Friday's haddock is the best
Old 12-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #141
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective, Not PC View Post
We always seek value (see any of our other reviews).
Which name were you using for your prior reviews? The account you are now using only has this one post.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #142
dpg

What's a bitcoin???
Old 12-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #143
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
What's a bitcoin???

http://bfy.tw/2VOz Monopoly money ahaha
Old 12-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #144
dpg

VK just refuses to cave and take a Debit/Credit card.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #145
Pineedles

Bob and Sammie, keep doing what works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-16-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #146
Mr. V

Quote:
Any idiot can spend a lot of money on overpriced, over-hyped food and defend their position by saying "you get what you pay for". And as we all know, simple platitudes like that are for the simple-minded.
I get a much better meal by paying the higher cost charged by a premier steak house than by getting a ten dollar meal at a budget steakhouse.

Same thing holds true with Italian food.

Those without the ability to discern quality had best relegate themselves to dining on "simple meals."
Old 12-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #147
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Bob and Sammie, keep doing what works for you.
No problem. The rest of us W2 stiffs will handle paying the taxes. But I'm sure VK's motivation for not taking plastic is to avoid the credit card fees.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #148
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
No problem. The rest of us W2 stiffs will handle paying the taxes. But I'm sure VK's motivation for not taking plastic is to avoid the credit card fees.
Credit card fees on master card or visa are less than 2%, hardly reason for not accepting them given their convenience. That said, we remain big VK fans.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #149
Charlie T

Default CCD fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Credit card fees on master card or visa are less than 2%, hardly reason for not accepting them given their convenience. That said, we remain big VK fans.
I have to disagree with your 2% fee statement. As a business owner I see these fees every month. The fee structure varies with the card Issuer (MC, Visa, AMX, Dis.) and the style of rewards that the card offers. It is even different for a business , personal, or govt. card. Yes the merchant is helping the credit card company underwrite your rewards in the form of a higher "merchant discount fee". I've seen total card discounts vary from 2% to almost 5% depending on the card, a 2% total discount is almost never the case 3-1/4 to 4% is more the norm when you add all the fees up.

I don't blame VK for their reluctance to accept cards. I don't think anyone would care to just give away up to 5% of their income to with no real return on that investment. If VK has lines out the door during peak hours the lack of CCd acceptance can't be hurting their business volume to a great extent. Good for them. I wish I didn't need to accept cards, I could put the savings into something with a return to my business.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #150
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Which name were you using for your prior reviews? The account you are now using only has this one post.
I'm guessing that refers to their other tripadvisor reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...Hampshire.html
Old 12-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #151
Lakeboater

Default Cash is king

Quote:
Customers who pay with a credit card will spend more money on their meal, servers get bigger tips, etc...
Pretty sure that wait staff and bartenders prefer to be tipped in cash not on a credit card. We always tip good service with cash even if we are paying for our meal with a cc.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #152
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
I have to disagree with your 2% fee statement. As a business owner I see these fees every month. The fee structure varies with the card Issuer (MC, Visa, AMX, Dis.) and the style of rewards that the card offers. It is even different for a business , personal, or govt. card. Yes the merchant is helping the credit card company underwrite your rewards in the form of a higher "merchant discount fee". I've seen total card discounts vary from 2% to almost 5% depending on the card, a 2% total discount is almost never the case 3-1/4 to 4% is more the norm when you add all the fees up.

I don't blame VK for their reluctance to accept cards. I don't think anyone would care to just give away up to 5% of their income to with no real return on that investment. If VK has lines out the door during peak hours the lack of CCd acceptance can't be hurting their business volume to a great extent. Good for them. I wish I didn't need to accept cards, I could put the savings into something with a return to my business.
99% of restaurants accept cc's. To not accept them is anachronistic and frankly bad business.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #153
Miss Theresa

Smile VK is the standard I compare everywhere else to.

I make no apologies for my identity, thus the Miss Theresa screen name. Anyway, my family moved to Moultonboro from lil 'ol Rumney, NH and built the home in the corner of Birch Lane and Rte 25. In addition to myself, out of my four kids, three of the four have worked at the VK (Jen was busy apprenticing with Donna Love). My point is this, in my humble opinion, no place compares to the Village Kitchen! I remember eatting there before they moved to where they are now. The food and staff is inpeccable! Since I live in Ohio now, whenever I make it back home, a stop at the VK is second on my list - gotta make my daughter at Cup and Crumb number one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Theresa For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #154
Charlie T

Quote:
99% of restaurants accept cc's. To not accept them is anachronistic and frankly bad business.
If you don't like their CCD policy then don't eat there. As I said, with lines out the door during peak times the lack of CCD acceptance is apparently not hurting them too much.

Some things you can't change no matter how much you bitch about it. As you say there are plenty of places that will accept your plastic. Please visit your favorite restaurant that accepts it as that will make the line shorter for those of us who can remember to stock our wallet with some green backs from time to time. Personally I use cash for just about all personal expenses, Call me old fashioned or Anachronistic if you wish but I think that an empty wallet telling me to stop spending is a good thing.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #155
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Everyone that dines out is required to pay the (9%) tax on meals. Not sure what you were trying to imply on that one.

*disclaimer* I do not own a business, just stating a fact
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #156
camp guy

Default Village Kitchen

WOW, if this thread gets any hotter I may just throw a piece of meat at it and let it cook itself.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !! (guess what-- no charge, as in free!)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #157
TiltonBB

Default Surprise

It amazes me how many people want to express an opinion to tell someone with a very successful business how they should run it.

Obviously there have been some excellent decisions made by the owners to determine what works best for them, and their customers,in every aspect of their business. And, obviously, it works well for their substantial number of happy customers.

As has been said, if you don't like it don't go there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (12-18-2015), mhtranger (12-18-2015), moose tracks (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #158
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
It amazes me how many people want to express an opinion to tell someone with a very successful business how they should run it.

Obviously there have been some excellent decisions made by the owners to determine what works best for them, and their customers,in every aspect of their business. And, obviously, it works well for their substantial number of happy customers.

As has been said, if you don't like it don't go there.

Perfectly said!!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #159
phoenix

I agree 100% . The VC is one place that can keep going in all seasons. In the summer as people have said the line is out the door. samiam has a successful business and has an atm in the building if one needs cash. As yogi said" it is so crowded no one goes there any more " . I look forward to my first Friday night in the spring. And of course my first lobster roll at red hill
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #160
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
If you don't like their CCD policy then don't eat there. As I said, with lines out the door during peak times the lack of CCD acceptance is apparently not hurting them too much.

Some things you can't change no matter how much you bitch about it. As you say there are plenty of places that will accept your plastic. Please visit your favorite restaurant that accepts it as that will make the line shorter for those of us who can remember to stock our wallet with some green backs from time to time. Personally I use cash for just about all personal expenses, Call me old fashioned or Anachronistic if you wish but I think that an empty wallet telling me to stop spending is a good thing.
OK, well I suppose I earned that.

I want to reiterate that we LOVE VK and support it. We and our five kids have been to VK literally dozens of times and never been disappointed. Especially love the Wednesday night turkey dinner which is crazy good and inexpensive and will continue to frequent VK regardless of their payment policy. Gear down people and have a Merry Chrsitmas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-18-2015), Charlie T (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #161
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I agree 100% . The VC is one place that can keep going in all seasons. In the summer as people have said the line is out the door. samiam has a successful business and has an atm in the building if one needs cash. As yogi said" it is so crowded no one goes there any more " . I look forward to my first Friday night in the spring. And of course my first lobster roll at red hill
I like the VK and samiam. However, generally speaking I usually do not patronize a business that does not accept CC/debit cards. I find it to be a inconvenience especially since I normally if ever carry cash on me.

And for having an atm in a establishment, that's great, however, they will charge up to $3.00 per transaction! So, to use cash in that establishment if I do not have any on me, it's going to cost an additional $3.00 to eat there.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #162
thinkxingu

I cannot for the life of me understand why this thread is still going on. VK chooses to do business in a certain way. That choice is paying dividends, so there's no reason to change. If you don't like the choices they make, DON'T EAT THERE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JanN (12-19-2015), jbolty (01-05-2016)
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #163
tummyman

We eat there all the time. Super place, great food, terrific folks. And we have no issue with the cash policy. However, they do have a great alternative if you do not have cash or do not want to use the ATM...just write a check. We just bring a check along when we are going there. Never had an issue. We leave a cash tip and write a check for the bill, as we do not carry a lot of cash. Simple, costs nothing for us, and avoids the CC fee for VC. Folks, there are always options. Let these people run their successful business the way they want. No need to argue or expend all these words...just move on elsewhere if you do not like what any business has as a policy. I hope they keep their present terms and keep prices low for the folks that utilize this facility. Lots of folks on fixed incomes eat there that have little extra to pay higher menu prices. VC is a great alternative for these folks to have a nice meal out occasionally.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (12-18-2015), TiltonBB (12-18-2015), trfour (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #164
HomeWood

How did any business survive when cash was the only payment option? I don't mind the cash policy at all. For those that won't go there because of it...us VK fans won't mind getting a seat sooner.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #165
VitaBene

Quote:
OK, well I suppose I earned that.

Especially love the Wednesday night turkey dinner which is crazy good and inexpensive
Shhhh... really though, it is really really good- I get it to go many Wed nights!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #166
GusMan

Default Vk

I don't know SAMIAM, but *love* the VK (I've only been for breakfast).

I completely understand the disadvantage of using the on premises ATM vs a credit card. Nobody likes to pay additional fees. However, it is this very same reason (among others I'd imagine) that the VK chooses not to accept credit cards.... it would shift the fee burden from the consumer to the business that already operates on such slim profit margins.

Now, I would guess that with a high end fancy restaurant with guest checks averaging many times what the VK averages... it would be easier to absorb such fees as part off doing business.

Not that I have any experience in the restaurant business... other than patronage that is!

See you at the VK in the spring... cash in hand!

Cheers...

Gusman
Old 12-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #167
gillygirl

Default What's your favorite

For those who have been there, what's your favorite meal?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #168
tummyman

For starters, Seth and team make a terrific clam chowder and lobster bisque/lobster chowder. It is not on the menu every night, but when it is, it cannot be beat. For entree's.....Turkey on Wednesday night, Prime Rib on Saturday, Turkey Clubs, English Style Fish and Chips, Friday Fish Fry, Scallop dinner, etc. etc .etc. Get the drift....it is ALL good !!!!! And do not miss the butternut squash as a veggie.
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #169
Newbiesaukee

We are more breakfast eaters. Hard to pick a favorite but the home fries are superlative ( and they taste good, too). And second the butternut squash.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #170
phoenix

Grilled haddock on Fridays only
gillygirl (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #171
Nagigator

Default breakfast........

Second Newbiesaukee. Best home fries on the planet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nagigator For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #172
brk-lnt

While we're discussing this, I really think that VK would do better with a sushi/Mexican kind of fusion menu.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #173
Acrossamerica

Is there not a law against beating dead horses.

Besides it must be time to begin asking the new owner of the Woodshed if he will be bringing back the staff, menu and prices from 20 years ago so those who go once a year for a "special" occasion will feel at home.

Or maybe we can have a discussion about how important it will be for the second new operator at Sandy Point to never veer from the original menu and always give huge portions for no increase in price.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #174
jimkberry

Now that the original topic of this thread has, well - you know... I have to say the biggest takeaway from it for me has been that people actually pay ATM fees - and don't get reimbursed by their banks/credit unions.

-jim
The Following User Says Thank You to jimkberry For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (12-20-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #175
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
I don't know SAMIAM, but *love* the VK (I've only been for breakfast).

I completely understand the disadvantage of using the on premises ATM vs a credit card. Nobody likes to pay additional fees. However, it is this very same reason (among others I'd imagine) that the VK chooses not to accept credit cards.... it would shift the fee burden from the consumer to the business that already operates on such slim profit margins.

Now, I would guess that with a high end fancy restaurant with guest checks averaging many times what the VK averages... it would be easier to absorb such fees as part off doing business.

Not that I have any experience in the restaurant business... other than patronage that is!

See you at the VK in the spring... cash in hand!

Cheers...

Gusman
My point is, many people will not go and patronize a restaurant because it is cash only and may pose a inconvenience for some.
If I have to take $20.00 out of the ATM it is going to cost me $3.00 to do so. If a restaurant accepts CC's at 0.04% that same $20.00 costs them $0.80. If I were a restaurant owner, I would rather pay $0.80 vs. losing out on $19.20.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #176
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
My point is, many people will not go and patronize a restaurant because it is cash only and may pose a inconvenience for some.
If I have to take $20.00 out of the ATM it is going to cost me $3.00 to do so. If a restaurant accepts CC's at 0.04% that same $20.00 costs them $0.80. If I were a restaurant owner, I would rather pay $0.80 vs. losing out on $19.20.
That's the thing--at this point lines are out the door and there's rarely a slow day, which means they're NOT losing $19.20.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #177
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That's the thing--at this point lines are out the door and there's rarely a slow day, which means they're NOT losing $19.20.

Although they may not be losing that $19.20 they are technically losing it as an opportunity cost. At that point though you're arguing business economics which is pointless on this forum unless you own this place.

Say the business holds 10 tables and those 10 tables are occupied 24/7 or to 100% of their capacity. Do you as the business owner say ok I'm happy these 10 seats are always full or do you look to expand to 15 tables and make sure 15 tables are always full? Sure there is better answers for making more money and better answers to whether or not as the business owner you really need it.

So if anything for me a place that full all the time really isn't that appealing. Now since I have never been there before like a barber shop seeing 10 people waiting inside doesn't scream come in we have great food or give great haircuts. To me it screams ill be waiting an hour or so. Some people don't mind a wait but I personally do.

On a side note I am hungry, where is this place so I can try it now?
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #178
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Of course they are. You can certainly argue that they don't care as they have a line consistently, but the fact remains that the line is xxx number of people less than it could be.

But the real question is - who cares at this point? They are aware, it's not going to change, and those of us that don't normally carry cash will continue to not go the times we don't have cash. Put another way, it is what it is......accept it already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
dpg (12-22-2015), gtagrip (12-21-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #179
Billy Bob

Default always a line out the door?

Lets correct one thing .
They have a line out the door on Saturday and Sunday in the summer and some of the spring and fall weekends , short of that its no problem to get in and in the winter the turn rate is probably nothing to get excited about .
The owner probably does just fine for himself.

The food is " as expected " just good home style stuff but nothing to get all hot about or drive 10 miles for . Its served on those plates they use in schools .

The credit card is just a side note and we all know that "cash business " and not paying all your taxes go together , I AM NOT SAYING ANYONE IS NOT PAYING THEIR TAXES , but just think about it .
Old 12-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #180
Pineedles

I think you are out of line Billy Bob. You state that cash businesses and not paying all your taxes go together. Then you make a disclaimer but imply that by thinking about your statement we should conclude that the VK being a cash business doesn't pay all its taxes. You cant have it both ways. You owe the VK an apology and should delete that part of your post.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (12-23-2015), Crusty (12-24-2015), Major (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #181
phoenix

I guess this will never end and gets more absurd as we go on . Samiam thanks for staying out of this. You are a true professional who runs a great restaurant the way you want to .
tummyman (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #182
camp guy

Default Village Kitchen

I think phoenix has summed it up nicely, and I think it is about time to put this thread to rest. Good night!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #183
tis

I agree. It amazes me how some people feel the need to look at the negative on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #184
TiltonBB

Default Not So!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Lets correct one thing .
They have a line out the door on Saturday and Sunday in the summer and some of the spring and fall weekends , short of that its no problem to get in and in the winter the turn rate is probably nothing to get excited about .

The food is " as expected " just good home style stuff but nothing to get all hot about or drive 10 miles for . Its served on those plates they use in schools .

The credit card is just a side note and we all know that "cash business " and not paying all your taxes go together , I AM NOT SAYING ANYONE IS NOT PAYING THEIR TAXES , but just think about it .
I disagree with most everything in your post. The food is great, the prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly and very competent. Many people obviously drive a lot more than 10 miles, and go there often, that explains the busy days.

Most restaurant businesses are on a Pont of Sale system to make things run more efficiently, to track costs, and to prevent employee theft among other things. Efficient restaurants track every meal cost right down to cents (or fractions) for salt and pepper. With today's computerized systems it is almost impossible to hide income.

In addition to that, the IRS has a lot of statistical data that tells them based on your costs what your income is. For example: If you own a coin-op laundry the IRS will calculate your income using your utility bills.

The Village Kitchen is a great stop for many people, and it should be.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 12-22-2015 at 07:25 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Crusty (12-24-2015), Major (12-23-2015), upthesaukee (12-22-2015), wifi (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #185
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I think you are out of line Billy Bob. You state that cash businesses and not paying all your taxes go together. Then you make a disclaimer but imply that by thinking about your statement we should conclude that the VK being a cash business doesn't pay all its taxes. You cant have it both ways. You owe the VK an apology and should delete that part of your post.
I totally agree. For some reason some people think that everyone who owns a business is making ton's of money and they are stepping on people or cheating someone along the way. The owners of the VK appear to be hard working people who put in a lot of hours working hard and provide a product that many people want at a price they are willing to pay. This does not make them crooks or tax cheats and does not give someone on the internet the excuse or right to accuse them of being so!

Lets stop the BS with the unfounded accusations, those individuals who are making them are only making an ass out of themselves. What can you possibly have to gain by accusing or inferring that someone is cheating on their taxes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
tummyman (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #186
exlakesregioner

Have never put a restaurant meal on a credit card, call me old fashioned but if I can't pay cash for a meal I shouldn't be going out to eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to exlakesregioner For This Useful Post:
SPT13 (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #187
ITD

Sorry you folks saying 2% isn't a big deal, run a business first and see what it all about before you make a statement like this. That 2% comes right off the top, right out of the profit. I have no idea what Sam's margins are like, but the restaurant is in a competitive area with several others nearby which has to figure into the prices he charges, charge too much and people move on.

Let's say at the end of the year Sam makes a 10% profit on his business using his cash model. If he converts to credit card payment and his customers all start charging their meals his 10% profit now becomes 8%, a 20% loss in income.

Also, 2% is a number that high volume users get for their service, I doubt VK does that level of business, Sam might end up paying 3 or 4 percent, which is a potential 30 to 40 percent loss in revenue if my 10% number is correct. There are also monthly fees usually imposed for CC service, such as a user fee and equipment rental fees, all that comes right off the top and eat into profit.

On top of that, I recently found out that tips given via CC have 39% taken off the top as payroll deductions for taxes here in Mass. (probably less in NH due to no state income tax, but maybe not, I don't know.) Now most of the servers I know are no where near in that income bracket, so they must wait until tax time to get the rest of their income returned to them from the IRS.

Bring some cash with you, it's not a big deal and well worth it for the value you get when you eat there.

You're in NH now, don't Mass. it up. :>) ( I love that saying.)

Last edited by ITD; 12-23-2015 at 10:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
KPW (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #188
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlakesregioner View Post
Have never put a restaurant meal on a credit card, call me old fashioned but if I can't pay cash for a meal I shouldn't be going out to eat.
Welcome to 2015.I almost never have cash and put 99% of my purchases on my debit card which is my checking account.No fees just way more convienent than making sure I have cash in my pocket.I wont be spending something I dont have which is your reasoning.You can still be old fashioned in a todays kind of way without using a credit card.A debit account is really not different for you except a lot more friendly.
thinkxingu (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #189
TiltonBB

Default Yes But.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Welcome to 2015.I almost never have cash and put 99% of my purchases on my debit card which is my checking account.No fees just way more convienent than making sure I have cash in my pocket.I wont be spending something I dont have which is your reasoning.You can still be old fashioned in a todays kind of way without using a credit card.A debit account is really not different for you except a lot more friendly.
Yes but.............It is not quite as friendly to the waitresses who prefer cash tips to having to wait for the employer to do the bookeeping and cut them a payroll check. Many waitstaff live day to day and anything they can put in their pocket right away helps the cause. It might even pay for the babysitter while they work!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #190
Winnisquamer

Question? So our whole lives we have been taught to watch how we spend our money, but now we have to watch how we spend our money again so the method of delivery for the people who are employed by the people taking said money for a service can be pleased with how it is delivered to their pockets?

Majority of us "normal" Americans are living paycheck to paycheck these days anyways! My student loans for my undergraduate degrees alone would cover some peoples mortgages. I don't want to wait till next Friday for my employer to do the book keeping either but such is life. So I smartly (really not that smart, common sense actually) save my money so I have enough to last me until the next paycheck. I think it was a class in high school called surviving basic life as an adult.

Could totally care less if they prefer cash or credit. Business owner can run it as they please, perks of owning your own business. To me food is food, if it's good which it seems like it is from this thread I'd eat there and pay cash or credit doesn't matter to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #191
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Lets correct one thing .

Didn't want to make a post on this topic but I did want to reply to Billy Bobs thought that being a cash business lets us be loose and easy with our taxes.
Not jumping on BB at all.....many people think that restaurants skim off a little mad money and they do have a good point about not taking cards.
We,and most other restaurants have a POS system (Point of Sales) Every order goes into kitchen and onto our central computer ..... our taxes are paid on the total sales.There is absolutely no way to manipulate or change any figures.
I've had random audits over the years,once by the IRS and once by NH Rooms & Meals and let me tell you that those guys know the business.They can tell from your check average,food cost and water consumption almost exactly what your sales should be.
Sorry about the credit cards.I know we could do a good deal more business if we took them and that day will come.
But for now....life is good.Mortgage paid,great crew,get to go to Florida in the winter when it's slow,able to keep prices reasonable (not planning an increase in 2016) Don't make a ton of money but enough to enjoy life.
Thanks for all the kind words and support.We love what we're doing.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (12-23-2015), ApS (12-23-2015), chasedawg (12-23-2015), ghfromaltonbay (12-23-2015), gtagrip (12-23-2015), HellRaZoR004 (12-23-2015), ishoot308 (12-23-2015), Janet (12-23-2015), Just Sold (12-23-2015), Major (12-23-2015), mhtranger (12-23-2015), Mirror Lake's BB (12-26-2015), Nagigator (12-23-2015), Newbiesaukee (12-24-2015), olde nh (12-23-2015), phoenix (12-23-2015), Pineedles (12-23-2015), tc_mike (12-23-2015), thinkxingu (12-23-2015), TiltonBB (12-23-2015), tis (12-23-2015), tummyman (12-23-2015), upthesaukee (12-23-2015), wifi (12-23-2015), Winnisquamer (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #192
Mr. V

Quote:
And we have no issue with the cash policy. However, they do have a great alternative if you do not have cash or do not want to use the ATM...just write a check. We just bring a check along when we are going there.
Ask most millennials to write a check and they'll say "Huh?"

Many if not most young folks don't have checking accounts with paper checks, they use debit cards for most everything.

Paper checks and phones with land lines are going the way of the dodo bird.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #193
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Your a class act Sam!

Merry Christmas!

Dan
KPW (12-24-2015), mhtranger (12-23-2015), thinkxingu (12-23-2015), TiltonBB (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #194
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Question? So our whole lives we have been taught to watch how we spend our money, but now we have to watch how we spend our money again so the method of delivery for the people who are employed by the people taking said money for a service can be pleased with how it is delivered to their pockets?
Thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #195
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Yes but.............It is not quite as friendly to the waitresses who prefer cash tips to having to wait for the employer to do the bookeeping and cut them a payroll check. Many waitstaff live day to day and anything they can put in their pocket right away helps the cause. It might even pay for the babysitter while they work!
My wife worked at TBones and was paid her tips in cash nightly, including credit card payment tips. Not sure if that's norm but I expect it is. My family owns a local restaurant here, in Laconia, and the tips are also paid in cash nightly.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #196
codeman671

It is not uncommon for smaller breakfast places to be cash only. There are a few down here on the seacoast that I can think of that are. The Wooden Spoon in Somersworth, for instance has never taken cards.

Some of them do work the old fashioned way though, paper slips and no POS systems. Not saying they are hiding anything, but some people still do it manually.

I do think its a bit ridiculous not to take them. Since restaurants are a card swipe situation, not keyed in entries, the rates are cheaper. My business takes cards, sometimes in very large transactions, and we end up paying 2.5%+ because they are keyed entries. Swipes can be done as low as 1.6%.

Why not just bump the prices up a dime to cover it?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #197
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Ask most millennials to write a check and they'll say "Huh?"

Many if not most young folks don't have checking accounts with paper checks, they use debit cards for most everything.

Paper checks and phones with land lines are going the way of the dodo bird.
You're right Mr V Everything is electronic with younger people.They even swipe their card for a purchase under $1.
We're thinking we'll have to make the change within a year or two.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #198
Winnisquamer

One key thing for millennials and swiping cards is because with most cards out now you can get points or miles or cash back. Most kids see it as if I swipe X dollars I pay the same amount of money with a no interest card as handing over cash but I also get something else in return rather than a piece of paper with a total on it.

I've paid for a few flights using my card. So if I know I have a trip coming up I'm a cash all year guy but I'll swipe the card hard to get a discount. Why not?

Sadly overusing a card is also how some people get burned.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #199
HellRaZoR004

I've tried to refrain from this post but here's a little perspective from someone under 30.

I rarely carry cash with me. When I need cash I go to an ATM and grab it, each transaction fee is credited to my account within 24hrs. Cash purchases are usually for items off craigslist but in general I pay EVERYTHING with a credit card. From travel expenses to buying a soda at the gas station. It's a lot more convenient for me.

AND, I make money doing it!!! In 2014 alone I received over $460 back in cash/statement credits. I expect to be well over that number this year. It's based on the 1-5% cash back that I receive each month from purchases with my credit card. So why would I pay cash for something when I can keep it in my account, gain interest on it, and get paid to use a free loan from the CC company?

This assumes you pay the statement balance in full every month!

I respect the VK's decision to not accept CC's, its certainly an inconvenience for some, but that is their choice. If I want something that badly, I'll suck it up and pay with cash as my only option.
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #200
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post

AND, I make money doing it!!! In 2014 alone I received over $460 back in cash/statement credits. I expect to be well over that number this year. It's based on the 1-5% cash back that I receive each month from purchases with my credit card. So why would I pay cash for something when I can keep it in my account, gain interest on it, and get paid to use a free loan from the CC company?

I wonder if you have any idea where that money "you make" comes from? Contrary to what a lot of young people think, it does not just happen. That 1-5% pay back is taken out of the merchants pocket in the form of CC fees.

Use a Debit card and they are charged one fee, use a straight CC card and it is a different amount, use the pay back cards and the fees jump up to cover the cost of the paybacks. And in addition to the fees there is a processing machine that must be bought and updated every few years and any merchant that has not invested in the new "Dip" card machines is now liable for any fraud on that card not the CC company or the bank.

So as you pat your self on the back for "earning" 1-5% on your purchases you are really paying for that and possibly a bit more to cover the aggravation factor of being in business and dealing with thousands of customers who "know" so much better how to run everyone else's business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (12-23-2015)
Closed Thread