Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
rgilfert

Default Lake Navigability: WAM to North End of Rattlesnake

I just received the call notifying me that our boat has been launched and is ready for our usage at West Alton Marina. Given that I'm going to be up in Belmont on Thursday, I thought that take a quick side trip out to the place on Rattlesnake to see how it faired the winter. Does anyone happen to know whether there will be any issues with ice while making this trip? Also, I've never been on the lake this early in the season...are there issues from a boating perspective that I should be aware/concerned about? For instance, I was wondering whether the cold lake temps could cause oil viscosity issues in the lower unit?? I just spend a wallet full of clams getting my (old) boat in tip top condition for the summer and don't want to jeopardize anything out of ignorance. Input please!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

We were out to Welch Monday and today, not a sign of ice anywhere. Cold water should not be a problem with the outdrive. I would take it easy on speed and keep watch for floating debris. There are a few chunks of wood out there, not many this year but it only takes one to mess-up a prop. We had one prop killing incident around ice out a few years ago.

SC
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
MikeF-NH

I launched out of WAM yesterday (monday) and probably saw your boat going in as they were working on putting a few boats in the water as I eased by. While there was a thin coating of ice in the first "bay" next to the ramp, that was the only ice I saw all day. I went around Sleepers and to both ends of Rattlesnake on the west side and didn't see a single ice cube. While I didn't go down the east side, as far as I could see from the northern point, it was wide open.

It was so beautiful and calm that I also took a trip over to Long Island and through Hole in the Wall....not an ice cube spotted on the complete round trip. The water was still very cold around rattlesnake at 37 degrees but further north around LI, I was up to 44.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (04-16-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Phantom

rgilfert

If you are not familiar with "Early Season" boating -- Debris is your biggest concern.

It is amazing how large (sometimes HUGE) pieces of wood from a dock, or large tree limbs can hide just below the surface with only a portion showing. Keep a sharp eye in front of you !
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Island Girl

Default Picking up debris

It is also good to stop and pick up the debris, especially the big chunks. Some (not pressure treated) of this wood can be burned in the wood stove.

Once, the debris was a huge... 15 or more feet long, dock pole, like a telephone pole. It was floating just off Rattlesnake Island. We dragged it home and up onto the shore where it sat drying out for some years. It was finally cut up and burned.

Some of the debris gets a bit waterlogged and is just below the surface... so be careful about going fast... your outdrive\lower unit could get whacked.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (04-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Some of the debris gets a bit waterlogged and is just below the surface... so be careful about going fast... your outdrive\lower unit could get whacked.
Yup, been there, done that. Lucky for me, insurance paid!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

One thing you want to be darn sure of is where there should be markers, do NOT think they did not get dragged around by the ice or worse yet be missing all together.

Debris is another big one.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
It is also good to stop and pick up the debris, especially the big chunks. Some (not pressure treated) of this wood can be burned in the wood stove.

Once, the debris was a huge... 15 or more feet long, dock pole, like a telephone pole. It was floating just off Rattlesnake Island. We dragged it home and up onto the shore where it sat drying out for some years. It was finally cut up and burned.

In addition you are doing a great service to your fellow boaters. Thank you!
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Phantom

Excellent point Maxum !!

Relocated and missing markers is the other challenge !
Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Dog's Ear

This was a few years ago. And it was very heavy and water logged. Just the tip was sticking out of the water, but we didn't give up!
Attached Images

Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog's Ear For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-18-2013), Diver Vince (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
diz

Cool Missing Markers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
One thing you want to be darn sure of is where there should be markers, do NOT think they did not get dragged around by the ice or worse yet be missing all together.

Debris is another big one.
I went out for a short ride this morning from Paugus around Eagle Island and back. Unless I totally missed them, the black tipped spar on the west side of Paugus and one of the red tipped spars over at Pitchwood and Stonedam Islands were missing. Or maybe I need new glasses.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
rgilfert

Default Thank you!!

Thanks to all for your input. My trip to Rattlesnake today was awesome! I heeded everyone's advice by keeping a vigilant eye out for floating/semi-submerged debris and the round trip passed by uneventfully.

In the following picture, I ferried that beer all the way from Bedford to Rattlesnake today so that I could enjoy a brew while watching the lake this afternoon..... only to find out that last fall my wife had packed away the stuff in all the kitchen drawers (aka no opener). It didn't dawn on my cro magnon sized brain until I got home that Killian's has a twist off cap!!! Dooh!
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
Chaos (04-19-2013), Dog's Ear (04-19-2013), Just Sold (04-19-2013), Slickcraft (04-18-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Chaos

Default rgilfert

did you happen to notice if they were launching any of the larger boats or if any on skid row were in the water?

PS, you need to get one of those screw on bottle cap thingies for your deck so this unfortunate incident won't repeat itself

thanks,
Mike
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
fpartri497

Default Chaos

I was there most of the day yesterday as i was every day this week. they have chads boats in and about 15- or so others. only one or two on skid row. they uncovered mine yesterday while i was there so probably be at the dock today. I hope

see ya soon pal

Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
ghfromaltonbay

Default Swiss Army Knife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
In the following picture, I ferried that beer all the way from Bedford to Rattlesnake today so that I could enjoy a brew while watching the lake this afternoon..... only to find out that last fall my wife had packed away the stuff in all the kitchen drawers (aka no opener). Dooh!
That's why I never go anywhere without my trusty Swiss Army Knife from LLBean. You never know when you encounter an unopened beer or a good bottle of wine (yes it has a corkscrew as well). My Swiss Grandmother taught me to be practical.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Chaos

Default Thanks Frank

See you soon.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Merrymeeting

We have a friend who has perfected the art of opening a beer bottle with his wedding ring. Never without an opener when he is around.

Especially useful when floating on the lake on a hot, sunny afternoon.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
fpartri497

Default chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
See you soon.
My mistake m. your boat Is in at your dock today.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
only to find out that last fall my wife had packed away the stuff in all the kitchen drawers (aka no opener). It didn't dawn on my cro magnon sized brain until I got home that Killian's has a twist off cap!!! Dooh!
There is one mounted to my deck, feel free to use it if you have another emergency (and its mounted as I had the same issue a few years back)
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (04-24-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
AC2717

In the following picture, I ferried that beer all the way from Bedford to Rattlesnake today so that I could enjoy a brew while watching the lake this afternoon..... only to find out that last fall my wife had packed away the stuff in all the kitchen drawers (aka no opener). It didn't dawn on my cro magnon sized brain until I got home that Killian's has a twist off cap!!! Dooh!

that is an easy fixed with all that lumber sitting there, just POP the TOP!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
Just Sold

The lake still has debris out there so be carefull. We found this 6' board on the broads side of Diamond Island yesterday. I also talked to another boater who had towed in a telephone pole sized log into Ellacoya Beach.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Happy Gourmand

From my slip in Meredith, I could see a lot of "stuff" floating around. Though I had wanted to put the new boat in the water last Saturday, I'm not too upset to wait another week with the hope that a lot of the debris will be gone.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #23
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
We have a friend who has perfected the art of opening a beer bottle with his wedding ring. Never without an opener when he is around.
I used to do that too, then I got divorced! Beer opens easier and tastes a lot better now!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote