Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
kmbrly0723

Default Vacation Recommendations - First time to Lake Winnipesaukee

Hi Everyone!

We will be visiting June 15-22nd for the first time... We will have 4 adults and 3 children (4, 4, & 2.5 years old). I could not think of a better place to seek advice from...

Anyone have any Must Do's/See while we are there? I know it is bike week... and we will have a boat to get around the lake. Any great kid friendly restaurants?

THANK YOU!!!

-Kim
kmbrly0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
surfnsnow

T-bones is nice for families. town docks is nice by boat.
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrly0723 View Post
Hi Everyone!

We will be visiting June 15-22nd for the first time... We will have 4 adults and 3 children (4, 4, & 2.5 years old). I could not think of a better place to seek advice from...

Anyone have any Must Do's/See while we are there? I know it is bike week... and we will have a boat to get around the lake. Any great kid friendly restaurants?

THANK YOU!!!

-Kim
What town are you staying in? It is a large lake so recommendations will vary depending on location.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
PaugusBayFireFighter

You'll only have to deal with bike week for a day, bike week is the 8th-16th. I'd avoid Weirs Beach until Monday.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

THANK YOU!!!

-Kim
kmbrly0723, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I am very sure you will receive many ideas from the members of this blog. I wish you and the family and friends have a wonderful time here on our big lake.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
We will be visiting June 15-22nd
Anyone have any Must Do's/See while we are there?
I know it is bike week... and we will have a boat to get around the lake. Any great kid friendly restaurants? THANK YOU!!! -Kim
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay here. Bike Week is actually June 8th to the 16th. So, that should make traveling around a bit easier for you. As already stated it would help to know what town you will be in as the lake is quite large.

Kid friendly family restaurants, I would suggest Johnson's (New Durham) http://www.eatatjohnsons.com/ Hart's Turkey Farm (Meredith) http://www.hartsturkeyfarm.com/ , Kellerhaus (Laconia) is great for ice cream as is Johnson's and my favorite breakfast restaurant is Heritage Farm (Sanbornton) http://www.heritagefarmpancakehouse.com/ a must see with kids, they have all kinds of animals for the kids to pet and an awesome farm fresh breakfast, including pancakes which are made from scratch.

Also, I love taking a ride (2 hour trip) on the mail boat which takes mail to all the kids at camps on the islands. http://www.cruisenh.com/sophie.php

Enjoy!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
DanP

We're on the Meredith side and my kid's favorites include:

Restaurants - Town Docks (dinner or ice cream), Georges (breakfast), The Pub, Guiseppe's Pizza, Liliuokalani's ice cream (by boat), Naswa for virgin mudslides

Places - rope swing on welch island, Funspot on a rainy day, go carts across from Funspot, weir's beach drive-in, the Children's Museum in Meredith. Don't be afraid to visit the Weirs during bike week.... just go in the afternoon.

If the weather is nice, you'll find it's a great week to be on the water. Enjoy!
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
kmbrly0723

Default Thank You

I believe we are staying in Alton? I have a great starting point now for research... THANK YOU!!!
kmbrly0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default In Alton

Minigolf right in the bay, and they have icecream there as well. Fun course.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
JasonG

I second harts & Kellerhaus. Staples of the area.
FYI The businesses on the Weirs may be closed for a few days after bike week.

With a boat out of Alton, you cannot go wrong with day trips (or half day trips) by visiting Meredith, Center Harbor, and Wolfeboro. Tack on some stops at a few sand bars to anchor off. There are also a number of resorts on the water that have docks for boats to chill & grab a bite to eat.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

THANK YOU!!!

-Kim
Another "must do" for first timers is to be sure to pick up a Bizer Map if you plan on boating the lake.

http://www.bizer.com/jrindex.htm
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ride & Dive For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (05-28-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
Another "must do" for first timers is to be sure to pick up a Bizer Map if you plan on boating the lake.
You can order one in advance from us:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=store
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
camp guy (05-26-2013), Ride & Dive (05-26-2013), trfour (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
I believe we are staying in Alton? I have a great starting point now for research... THANK YOU!!!
If you are in Alton than I would highly reccomend that you have dinner at the Sandy Point Restaurant in Alton. One of their specialties is King Baked Stuffed Lobster with Prime Rib Reservations are a must.

http://www.sandypointrestaurant.com/#
Dave R (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Dave R

If you plan to visit a sand bar, make sure you have two anchors.

I second the recommendations of meals at Sandy Point and Naswa.

The Winnipesaukee Scenic Railway is usually a hit with little kids.

Wolfeboro has a many little shops that are fun to visit. Kids really like the Penny Candy shop.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
camp guy

Default First Time to Winnipesaukee

An added precaution to boating - keep your eye on the gas gauge, and buy gas when you go by a marina selling it. It is very easy to be having a great time and forget to check your gauge, then you are up the creek without a drop.

If this is your first time on the Lake, go easy, study your map, and ask a lot of questions.

A fun place for breakfast with children of your age bracket would be the "Griddle in the Middle", just north of the lights by FunSpot, and on the west side of the road. Wear an old tee shirt.

Enjoy your visit.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
C Tucker

Make time for the Squam Lake Science Center in Holderness-a drive from Alton but worth it - the animal trail and children's activities are terrific. A chance to see the local wildlife up close. The raptors are always a great hit. For more information www.nhnature.org.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C Tucker For This Useful Post:
Dave R (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
ghfromaltonbay

Default Kid Friendly restaurant

I would recommend the Lakeside Restaurant on Rt. 11 in Gilford. It's very family friendly and most entrees are under $10. Just like home cooking and only about 14 miles from the end of the bay in Alton. It's across the road from the Walmart Plaza.

There is a place called the Klikkety Klak Railroad in Wolfeboro on Rt. 109A which has multiple train tracks (HO scale) that the children can operate. My nephews always loved visiting there when they were at the lake. I'm sure it's listed in the Lakes Region guidebooks which are readily available. The Alton Community Center has a rack with all types of brochures listing places to go in the area.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Dave M

Default Gunstock

You may want to check out Gunstock Mtn. They usually have something going on.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
MikeF-NH

If you make the trip to the Squam Nature Center, you can make it a full day by either getting back out to 93 and hitting Polar Caves (Ashland I think) or a little further north to Clarks Trading post....both within an hour of Squam area.

If you are exploring the lake by boat and need a quick stop and are on the north side, drop in at 19 Mile Bay docks and grab an ice cream. Probably not the best on the lake but very convenient and a staple for my family while in the area.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
Kamper

Alton I my favorite spot for breakfast by boat. By lunch your more awake and can handle all the stairs at the Weirs. There are also nice places at the other town docks for variety if you do not feel like packing supplies.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
cillovely

Griddle in the Middle which is 1/2 way between Laconia and Meredith is a great breakfast place for kids. You get to make your own pancakes. About a 20 minute ride from Alton. We did that and the Fun Spot on a rainy morning.

Alton...Pop's clam shell. It's not the fanciest place but you can eat outside up on their roof deck and watch the boats in Alton Bay.

Johnson's which was mentioned is not too far and good for kids. Affordable too.

First time on the lake, just take it slow, and make sure you have that map and follow it. The sand bar in Alton is amazing and a great place for kids. Two anchors like someone posted is a must. We would pack up a cooler and head out there and have lunch almost every day.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote