Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
dykg

Default RV hookup as possible option

So I received my semi annual property tax bill and started thinking about my property and possible option to renting the home.Has anyone thought about setting up an area of your property (assuming you have the vacant space) for a RV hookup (electrical, water, cable). My property is in a great location and walking distance to all amenities. Has anyone done this? You would not have to worry about a renter damaging your home or have scheduling conflicts with the home. Am I off my rocker here? Thoughts welcomed.
Thanks,
DYKG
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Zoning?

Your town may have zoning restrictions on such use of RVs. You may be able to access the zoning regs online for your town.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
dpg

Even if it was allowed in your town don't most people who hook up an RV to any site expect toilet facilities, place to drain to etc? Doesn't sound like it would work to me just my .02
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
dykg (12-01-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default Also

Cost to install a separate septic, power and water.
That is a lot of $ to recover.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
camp guy

Default RV hookup as possible option

Zoning ordinances would be the controlling factor in this issue, and each Town has its own ordinances, however, if public water (ie., the Lake) is a factor then the ordinances get tougher and the State has a hand in the game.

I don't think I have seen this question on the Forum in the past, so this might bring a lot of comment. Certainly, on the face of it, with the right amount of land, it isn't all that bad of an idea.

Keep us posted.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Cost to install a separate septic, power and water. That is a lot of $ to recover.
A friend sent an experienced RV'er to me, asking if he could have a multi-seasonal rental of space on an empty lot adjacent to my FL home.

$$ $$.

He needed only house current for his bus-sized RV and would run a drain hose to my septic tank. Cooling to this whole new concept, I sent him away with the excuse that the County wouldn't allow the steel RV carport he wanted to install at his expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I don't think I have seen this question on the Forum in the past, so this might bring a lot of comment. Certainly, on the face of it, with the right amount of land, it isn't all that bad of an idea.
Like overnight anchoring and tying up to docks of friends, it's certain to be abused.

1) I've seen an RV brought in to a Winnipesaukee lakefront rental. It's that nearby cottage that shares one septic system with a new McMansion—and the added bedroom converted from the approved garage. For weekends, though, they can probably get away with it.

2) In the South, where land is spacious and cheap, I've seen one clever approach being the "storing" of a discarded yacht with on-board facilities—a landline for a small A/C—and a garden hose for water.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default where are you living

Dykg, Are you planning on using the RV when you have renters or are you renting RV space?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
dykg

I was just brainstorming and thinking about putting in the setup to rent the RV space. It would eliminate the need to rent the summer home. I don't know enough about this but thought it was an option since my property is located near all amenties (walking distance) and I had the space. I know I would need to look into zoning laws and think about whether someone would want to hookup without having a waste disposal/sewere available to them.
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykg View Post
I was just brainstorming and thinking about putting in the setup to rent the RV space. It would eliminate the need to rent the summer home. I don't know enough about this but thought it was an option since my property is located near all amenties (walking distance) and I had the space. I know I would need to look into zoning laws and think about whether someone would want to hookup without having a waste disposal/sewere available to them.
I believe that in most states you cannot rent an RV space without having a dedicated sewer hookup.
Now if you own a lot you can pull a trailer onto the property and no one monitors what hookups you have if any.
We have a neighbor up in Maine that petitioned the town for 4 RV sites. Because he only owned 2 acres he was only allowed to have 2 RV's and put in a dedicated septic, water and electricity. That is Maine though NH may be different.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykg View Post
I know I would need to look into zoning laws and think about whether someone would want to hookup without having a waste disposal/sewere available to them.
You could always just put in a 1200 gal septic tank and have it pumped once a year. A lot of towns will only allow a maximum number of weeks. I know Ossipee used to be 2 weeks.