Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Bear incident:9:30pm Sunday

The www.cmonitor.com reports a women in Center Harbor was slightly injured by a Bear last night and a dog was present.
Blue Pig (05-29-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
GTO

Default where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The www.cmonitor.com reports a women in Center Harbor was slightly injured by a Bear last night and a dog was present.
Have you heard where about in Center Harbor?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
riverat

WOMAN INJURED BY BEAR IN CENTER HARBOR

CONCORD, N.H. -- A 55-year-old Center Harbor woman, Jacqueline Berghorn, was injured outside her home by a black bear about 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 22, 2011.

Berghorn told N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers that she heard her dog on the back deck of her home, barking and acting in an unusual manner. She went out to investigate and encountered a bear approximately 10 feet away. The dog attacked the bear, and Berghorn turned and ran towards the home's sliding glass doors. She felt the bear's front paws on her back and shoulders and was knocked to the deck floor, then the bear turned and ran.

Berghorn received non-life-threatening injuries. She was taken to the Lakes Region General Hospital for evaluation and released later that evening.

Incidents involving physical contact with black bears are extremely rare, according to Fish and Game Bear Project Leader Andrew Timmins.

The incident was investigated by New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officer Brad Morse and U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services Bear Technician Jake Borgeson. Fish and Game was advised that neighbors, who recently moved away, had a history of feeding bears over the past five years. Biologists believe that the incident involving Berghorn, as well as other bear activity in the community, may be related to this past feeding of bears.

The bear involved in the incident with Jacqueline Berghorn has become habituated to human food and will most likely not change its current habits of seeking food from area residents, according to Morse. The Department has also been advised of several recent incidents involving an aggressive bear in the vicinity that has killed backyard chickens and injured a dog. Therefore, Fish and Game is attempting to capture and euthanize the bear to prevent further conflicts.

Bears have also been reported in the area visiting local birdfeeders. Fish and Game encourages homeowners to take down their birdfeeders between April 1 and December 1 because of black bears' fondness for birdseed.

"The surest way to prevent bear/human conflicts is to keep your yard free of food attractants. This helps prevent property damage by bears and keeps bears from becoming nuisance animals," said Timmins. "The sad truth is, a fed bear is a dead bear."

If a bear incident occurs at night, call your local police department.

For more information on preventing conflicts with black bears, visit http://www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/Somethings_Bruin.htm.

For information on preventing bear-related problems, call a toll-free number coordinated jointly by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services and the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department: 1-888-749-2327 (1-888-SHY-BEAR).
Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

The bear was probably trying to get away from the dog.Black bear attacks on humans are almost unheard of.I've stumbled on bears scores of times in the woods and have had to chase them out of our dumpster many times.....they just shuffle away when people approach.Hope they don't kill the bear just because a minor incident.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (05-24-2011), Grant (05-26-2011), Natt (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It makes me mad that people won't take down their bird feeders despite being told all the time. It just draws these poor critters and helps the birds become dependent. In the winter the feeders are fine. Instead of helping them, they are hurting them.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Natt (05-24-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If she had only been armed with a "broom" she might have been able to defend herself.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
If she had only been armed with a "broom" she might have been able to defend herself.
Now that was funny.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Well actually Mark if she stood her ground holding up a broom that bear probably would have just turned and walked away. A shot from a 9 mm pistol however probably would have made that bear mad enough to attack.

The sad part is that the bear had been attracted to food sources in the neighborhood, has become dependent and may have to be put down
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Natt (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It makes me mad that people won't take down their bird feeders despite being told all the time. It just draws these poor critters and helps the birds become dependent. In the winter the feeders are fine. Instead of helping them, they are hurting them.
I don't believe in ANY kind of animal feeders at ANY time. It's Welfare..and some of us know how Welfare works. It makes the recipient Dependent. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-24-2011), tis (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

I think it is sad that they are going to kill the bear. It was just defending itself from the dog that attacked it. Why not tranquilize it and move it to the White Mountain National Forest? We have a female bear and three baby cubs that pass through our yard. We enjoy watching them so much. Of course we keep our distance and watch from the house. We have had several bears around for years and we have never had a problem. Oh---in case your wondering we do not feed the bears.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Maybe just sentence the poor bear to doing three bear shows/day up at www.clarkstradingpost.com/attractions.php as community service instead of being euthanized.

Teaching a bear how to sweep the floor with a broom....that's a strong possibility up at Clark's....teach a bear how to sweep up with a broom and it will have a job for life entertaining in Clark's Bear Show, where for the $18.00 entry price (up from the 2003 price of 9.00), customers could get to see various uses of a broom.....such as bear broom hockey.....score one for the bear! This bear show is for you.....for 18-dollars.... and it keeps a bear out of your backyard by learning it to be a show-biz, HOLLYWOOD BEAR!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Flylady

Default Even in California....

No matter what part of the country, any educated animal lover knows that "a fed bear is a DEAD bear". Nothing like signing their death warrant by being careless or intentionally feeding them.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
Grandpa Redneck

Actually just chased one off my porch 20 minutes ago, done it plenty of times, they really are more scared of you than you are of them. and thinking that shootin one will make it attack is wrong, you been watchin' too many tv shows. My Grandpa used to shoe them away from the farm with a pellet gun to the rump. They would yelp and run like crazy.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #14
dpg

Why write off the Bear? Last I heard is it could not be found. Hopefully it stays in the woods. I agree that people in most cases cause it themselves then do not like to see it shot.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Grandpa Redneck

After reading the article I call BS the woman or the "news" is lying, probably both, bears DO NOT have retractable claws. and she only recieved brusies?
She got scared and tripped, and made up the story.
GTO (05-24-2011), ishoot308 (05-24-2011), jkjoshuatree (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
ApS

Wink 'Dern Black Bears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Even in California....
It was in Yosemite National Park that I first encountered my first Black Bear.

We'd just rounded a huge boulder on the edge of a mountain pathway, and were ambling along—when a Black Bear ambled past us in the opposite direction.

When the bear encountered a second couple at the boulder (who froze and blocked the path) the bear grunted, and hustled back in the direction he'd just come from—passing us again!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Today's LaDaSun has a follow up story including a photo of the dog, which looks to be an obnoxious little miniature collie dog. That's the type of dog that likes to nip your ankles for no particular reason.....just because the nasty little collie has a defective personality.

Meanwhile, if and when the bear gets caught by Fish & Game, how's about shipping it off to www.benkilham.com who runs a re-education program for misguided bears over in the back woods of Hanover, NH.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

After watching the video and seeing that she was pointing to an area in front of a glass french door......Did she not look out the glass while opening the door? Or was she just trying to get a better look at it? Did she open the door to try to scare the bear away from her dog? She said they did X-Rays and a cat scan. Heck I didn't even see a bruise on her. She said she was glad it didn't have it's claws out. They always have their claws out. They are non-retractable. Maybe she was the one feeding the Bear to begin with and when it didn't like what was for supper it lashed out. Like we do with our restaurant reviews. Playing it up a bit thinks me?
Two years ago I was about 4 feet from a Black Bear standing on its hind legs behind my shed. Two cubs came around the front of the shed. I was between the mother and the cubs. The mother did nothing to me. Maybe I should have called the news and claimed I was attacked.....
BTW I don't keep any bird feeders out for the reasons mentioned. Birds do just fine in the Spring.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #19
SAMIAM

This whole thing seems highly exaggerated.According to the Sun,she received a bruised shoulder,a bumped head aand a welt on her hand.....all injuries,it would seem from the fall and certainly not consistant with a bear attack.If she had claw and bite wounds,I'd be a believer.
Seems a shame to kill an innocent animal that was just out scrounging for dinner before he was set upon by a vicious dog......I think,if anything,the bear has a gripe
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Lakesrider

Have you been injured by a human. Frightened by a stressful event, like being bitten by a humans dog, at a humans home, or fed human food that was sour? If so Call my office. The Office of James Socolofogus.....
Not licensed in the State of NH but who cares....
1-800 call Jim.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
PapaDon

Default Re: bear "attack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
This whole thing seems highly exaggerated.According to the Sun,she received a bruised shoulder,a bumped head aand a welt on her hand.....all injuries,it would seem from the fall and certainly not consistant with a bear attack.If she had claw and bite wounds,I'd be a believer.
Seems a shame to kill an innocent animal that was just out scrounging for dinner before he was set upon by a vicious dog......I think,if anything,the bear has a gripe
I agree; this was not a bear attack. Too bad it was spun that way, but I guess it sells papers. I met up with a bear by my mailbox one night. He went his way on across the road and I went my way back down the driveway to the house.

We do have a neighbor who feeds the wild animals bread and has bird feeders out all year-round. We've mentioned this to her several times, but she enjoys it and hasn't stopped. Oh well!
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

Tonight another bear incident was discussed on WMUR news. The bear was on someone's deck in Center Harbor and it had an issue with a dog. Aren't dogs suppose to be on a leash in Center Harbor. I am tired of bears getting a bad rap. Once again today a female bear and her three cubs passed through our yard. As usual no problems!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #23
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Tonight another bear incident was discussed on WMUR news. The bear was on someone's deck in Center Harbor and it had an issue with a dog. Aren't dogs suppose to be on a leash in Center Harbor. I am tired of bears getting a bad rap. Once again today a female bear and her three cubs passed through our yard. As usual no problems!
Yep, more often than not, it is a Stupid Human problem not a bear, fox, coon etc problem.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I know the people in the last attack. And now I understand why there are bear around. It, to me at least, is WAY out in the woods down a long road. I would expect there to be lots of wild animals around even though there are some houses.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #25
dpg

Why not relocate the woman to the White Mountain National Forest and leave the Bear alone.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-25-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (05-25-2011), GTO (05-25-2011), jkjoshuatree (05-25-2011), Natt (05-28-2011), NickNH (05-26-2011), Resident 2B (05-25-2011), Tallyho (05-30-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #26
Lakesrider

HA....I just said that to my wife before I logged in to the forum..

Awesome!

We have encroached into the animals territory, and before long all the natural habitat is going to be over populated by human beings. So what, we kill every other living thing except us? Just so we don;t get bothered by wildlife? NH Fish and Game needs to start educating people better. But the State will probably be letting them all go too pretty soon.
If people that live off into the woods, like many of us here, don't want to deal with animals, they should build a nice high Penitentiary style fence with razor wire on top, to keep things out, and their dogs in. I still have to wonder about the people, that right after hearing of a bear incident close by, would leave their animals outside like that? Especially a Puggle....or what ever that was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (05-25-2011), NickNH (05-25-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #27
Slickcraft

Unhappy Sad outcome

On WMUR web site today:

Quote:
Bear Shot, Killed In Center Harbor
Officials Say Residents Have Fed Bears In Past

CENTER HARBOR, N.H. -- A bear believed to have injured a Center Harbor woman this week has been killed, wildlife officials said.

The bear was a large adult male that exhibited aggressive behavior, according to the Fish and Game Department. It was shot by a Fish and Game officer Wednesday night near the location of several recent incidents involving bears, people and pets.

The department said the bear was shot in the same neighborhood where Jacqueline Berghorn, 55, was injured when she was swatted by a black bear outside her home. Her injuries were not life-threatening.

"This is something that we as wildlife protectors do not relish," said Col. Martin Garabedian, chief of Fish and Game Law Enforcement. "Ultimately, it came down to protecting the public."

Garabedian said he believes the bear came habituated to being around people because of finding food at homes. He said the bear was no longer afraid of people.

He urged residents to take down bird feeders from April to December, keep their grills clean and remove unsecured trash and dog food from their yards.

Garabedian said previous residents of the neighborhood where the bear was killed had a history of feeding bears.

In Lebanon, police are also urging residents to take the same steps after multiple reports of bear sightings. Police said anyone who sees a bear should make sure not to be in its escape route. Make your presence known by talking loudly or clapping, and back away from it slowly -- don't run.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
dpg

That really pisses me off...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
GTO (05-26-2011), NickNH (05-26-2011), NoBozo (05-27-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #29
hilltopper

Is the next step tracking down the folks who were feeding the bear and shooting them?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (05-26-2011), NickNH (05-26-2011), SIKSUKR (05-26-2011), trfour (05-26-2011), Winnigirl (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #30
SAMIAM

That's disgusting.....shame on that woman for pitching such a fit. She would have had the same reaction if it had a been a fox or a woodchuck. I'll bet a weeks pay she is not a native to this area because locals have learned to coexist with wildlife and many "city people" freak out at the sight of anything that's not on a leash.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #31
lawn psycho

I still don't understand why the bear could not have been relocated and or re-trained.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
That's disgusting.....shame on that woman for pitching such a fit. She would have had the same reaction if it had a been a fox or a woodchuck. I'll bet a weeks pay she is not a native to this area because locals have learned to coexist with wildlife and many "city people" freak out at the sight of anything that's not on a leash.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #33
NH_boater

Quote:
Black bear attacks on humans are almost unheard of.
Actually, numerous I have always heard that black bear human attacks are much more common than grizzly attacks in N. America due to the huge population of blacks (300K) versus grizzly (3K). Numerous credible sites seem to back this up. There are about 20 black attacks each year in N.A. Granted, most black 'attacks' are very minor, like knocking the person down. 10% of black attacks (or 2 a year) result in serious injury versus 50% for grizzly attacks.

Grizzly bears are also twice as big as blacks; 500lbs versus 250lbs average.

Obviously, serious black attacks are much more rare than encounters that are still classified as bear attacks. I would not call 2 serious attacks a year almost unheard of though.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #34
TOAD

A bear that has attacked a human is a dead bear. Only way to insure it doesn't happen again.

Don't feed the wildlife of any kind. It's not natural or good for them. Not nature's way.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #35
NoRegrets

Don't feed the wildlife is great advice. This event should bring awareness to a few that have not thought about the consequences of their actions.

Is there a shortage of bears or is the population to a point where the population needs thinning out?

I am surprised that so many negative remarks about humans. Should we let someone be trapped in their shelter and think they should leash their dog in their own yard?

Not saying we should not feel for nature but humans do what they can to control it. I am sure the authorities in this case did the right thing (even though unpleasant) and removed a small problem that had the potential to be a tragedy.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #36
Argie's Wife

The bear is being a bear - s/he's doing what they were made to do - get food.

If humans are providing the food, then shame on the humans for doing it.

Bears have a GREAT memory - they will return to a place where they found food in the past, hoping to score on it again. When it's not there because the humans have moved, then they will go to the next closest site.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that the lady who was attacked had fed bears in the past. Maybe she just left some cat food out for her cat, or some suet for the birds, but I doubt that attack just "happened"...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #37
Slickcraft

A friend of ours has many years of experience tracking and live trapping wildlife, usually as a consultant to NH F&G (he was the bob cat live trapper for the tracking project last winter). He also has hunting dogs that he uses to run and tree black bear in season but he never shoots them. So he is pretty familiar with their habits.

His take on the woman’s story:
It would be extremely unlikely and out of character for a black bear to climb onto a deck occupied by a dog and a human.
As bear don’t retract their claws, a swat strong enough to knock one down but leave no claw marks, while possible, is not highly likely.
More likely (my opinion), as the woman panicked, turned and lunged for the door, she probably simply fell down (she sure did not look very agile in the video). In the panic of the incident there may have been the perception of being knocked down. In any event her story and past feedings killed the bear.

It would be interesting if, with F&G help, a TV spot of life from the bear’s perspective could be aired to counter the hysterical spots that WMUR has run.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
NickNH (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #38
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Is the next step tracking down the folks who were feeding the bear and shooting them?
Maybe we should...One less bear shot if it wasn't being fed.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #39
NickNH

@Slick...that scenario is EXACTLY what I told my husband I thought happened yesterday.....
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #40
NBR

Default Bear

The artical said that neighbors who had moved away had fed the bear. I hope some one sends them a letter with the newspaper clipping so the realize that their actions has nearly assured their wild buddies early death.

There is no excuse for not knowing that feeding a bear is nealy a 100% death warrant for the bear.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #41
Pontoon Goon

Default Don't try this at home

This women is nuts.

Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #42
NH_boater

According to her logic, no one has ever been attacked or killed by a black bear. Simply not true.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #43
SAMIAM

I disagree that she's nuts........I think she was demonstrating that black bears are seldom, if ever a danger to people and that is a fact......I'm sure that someone can dredge up a story about an attack somewhere on the internet but it would be very rare.
Google up "Pit Bull & Rottweiler attacks" if you want to see some carnage.....you're in more danger in a city park than you are in the woods.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Blue Pig (05-29-2011), Grandpa Redneck (05-29-2011), Natt (05-31-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #44
ITD

Fatal black bear attacks are relatively rare, but they do happen. Check out this link and don't feed the bears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #45
Blue Pig

Great discussion thread. Thanks for the insight!
Blue Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #46
ApS

Wink Critter Behavior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
The bear is being a bear - s/he's doing what they were made to do - get food.
In prehistoric times, dogs and bears probably shared this ancestor:

So sometimes, a dog is a Brown Bear...

And sometimes, a Bear is a Retriever...
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #47
TOAD

Quote:
Recently scientists studied the history of black bear attacks. For the most part, the news it good. Only 68 attacks have been documented in the last one hundred and nine years. Unfortunately, over 85 percent of them happened since the 1960s. And here's the creepy part: they're all sneak attacks.
More:

Sneak attacks from black bears baffle scientists

http://io9.com/5800265/why-have-blac...-last-50-years

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #48
Greene's Basin Girl

Very interesting article. I love the cat treeing the bear.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #49
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Well actually Mark if she stood her ground holding up a broom that bear probably would have just turned and walked away. A shot from a 9 mm pistol however probably would have made that bear mad enough to attack.
...But a well-placed .357 or .44 Magnum would be a bit better.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #50
ApS

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
In prehistoric times, dogs and bears probably shared this ancestor:

And if there was any doubt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Ny...=player_popout