Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
rsmlp

Default NH health insurance

So we've had a home in Moultonborough since 1997 and we're finally moving to NH as our home base next year after our youngest son graduates HS from Albany, NY. We will be looking to replace our NY health ins. I'm 57 and retired and unless I'm mistaken there's only one game in town (NH) and that's Anthem and there premium is about $15K/yr with a $10K deductible! Holy Moly! Moreover, this is irrespective of Ocare so I can't blame him. Am I missing something? Does anyone out there know of any more options? thanks so much
Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
JDeere

Default Small State

Not sure how it will change under Obamacare but with NH's small market you will not find many alternatives.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Not sure how it will change under Obamacare but with NH's small market you will not find many alternatives.

Good luck!
In our area there are still a couple of other options-Harvard Pilgrim and right now I can't think of the name of the other one. But both generally quote higher than Anthem at least for business. In NH we have had the mandatory things that you are now hearing people talk about with Obamacare like pregnancy and drug rehabilitaton for years. I think that is one reason why we have always been so high. The prices started going crazy when those mandates went in. If I were you, I would talk to an agent who sells health insurance to get information. My business is ok for another year as we did an early renewal but I don't know what next year will bring. If you are going into the Obamacare, so far Anthem is the only one who has signed up in NH. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
So we've had a home in Moultonborough since 1997 and we're finally moving to NH as our home base next year after our youngest son graduates HS from Albany, NY. We will be looking to replace our NY health ins. I'm 57 and retired and unless I'm mistaken there's only one game in town (NH) and that's Anthem and there premium is about $15K/yr with a $10K deductible! Holy Moly! Moreover, this is irrespective of Ocare so I can't blame him. Am I missing something? Does anyone out there know of any more options? thanks so much
I'm in a similar boat. My youngest will graduate HS in 2015 and wifey and I will be moving to our NH home from CT. We have Anthem in CT but our policy was non conforming. We were able to renew in Dec. a month early and dodged the huge (55%) increase we were facing.

We'll likely be moving in August so we can spend the fall "shopping" for insurance.

FWIW, we won't need pregnancy or birth control insurance.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Anthem is the only game in town

And they know it! With no competition they can pretty well charge what they damn well please. ObamaCare does nothing in regards to controlling costs and that is why cost id increasing in every state.

When I retired in 2010, I was paying 10K a year with 5K deductible. I couldn't afford to retire and found a job with health benefits. I am hoping to retire when I can collect Medicare. From what I am hearing, Medicare payments are going up as well.

I just got my subscriber's certificate for next year along with a note that premiums will be increasing. Lots of changes and they are not good and rules are more complicated.

One that I know of is that they will no longer pay for health club dues as the doctor recommend a health lifestyle. They are cutting back on preventive medicine.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
fatlazyless

.... as a 62-year old who has been 100% totally un-insured for something like the last ten years....here is what I've learned....it is so much cheaper than health insurance to just stay healthy....and to stay the heck away from ambulances, emergency rooms, and anyone with an M.D. after their name.....healthcare on the cheap....locally maybe go to the convenient care walk-in clinic at Laconia's Lakes Region Gen Hosp which supposedly has a $150 ceiling cap per visit if one should catch a bad case of the flu or something and u-need a prescription....I have never ever ever been there yet so I do not really know what I'm talking about?????

Speare Hospital in Plymouth has nothing similar to Convenience Care from what I know?????

www.lrgh.org/Programs-Services/Convenience-Care

....on the road to single-payer health care! .. ..
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'm in a similar boat. My youngest will graduate HS in 2015 and wifey and I will be moving to our NH home from CT. We have Anthem in CT but our policy was non conforming. We were able to renew in Dec. a month early and dodged the huge (55%) increase we were facing.

We'll likely be moving in August so we can spend the fall "shopping" for insurance.

FWIW, we won't need pregnancy or birth control insurance.
But you must pay for it even if you don't need it. That is the law.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
rsmlp

Default thanks

thanks for all your responses. obviously I'm not missing anything. going without insurance starting in 2014 is illegal and with penalties and frankly a risk I'd rather not take. that said, paying $15K in premium with a $10K deduct. is outrageous and I'm shocked the state can get away with it. not sure how we'll proceed but we'll probably be more serious about buying another home in FL sooner than later.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
tis

Quote:
thanks for all your responses. obviously I'm not missing anything. going without insurance starting in 2014 is illegal and with penalties and frankly a risk I'd rather not take. that said, paying $15K in premium with a $10K deduct. is outrageous and I'm shocked the state can get away with it. not sure how we'll proceed but we'll probably be more serious about buying another home in FL sooner than later.
I don't believe you can have a 10K deductible. I think around 6 is all you are allowed under Obamacare. But again, I am talking about business, so maybe individual polices are different.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
rsmlp

Default anthem

Anthem's 2014 policy if bought now for my family is a premium of roughly $15,000 with a $10,000 deductible. it is the ONLY insurer in NH and while it sounds unbelievable I assure you it is accurate.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default A Travesty!

Quote:
These changes in insurance and premiums are not just occurring in NH, they are happening across the country!

As a business owner who employs approximately 100 people here in NH and Maryland and supplies fully paid health insurance, you simply cannot believe the changes in plans and premiums that have occurred since the threat of and implementation of the "affordable health care act". Our premiums have doubled and deductibles more than tripled!

Just a few years ago (4 years), our plan was with Anthem and had $1,000.00 deductible. Every year since, premiums have had huge increases which we simply could not absorb, therefore we had to offer plans with higher deductibles to offset the cost. What we use to pay for a $1,000.00 deductible plan is now a $10,000.00

These plan and premium increases are NOT just with Anthem as we have a company who shops out our health insurance to all the major carriers for us. Some years none of the other carriers would even bid on supplying our company with insurance!

We are currently with Harvard Pilgrim and are anticipating yet another huge increase this year.

As a company, I am not sure what we are going to do except pass the additional cost on to the employees, something we have always strived not to do.

I think everyone will soon find out that the "affordable" care act is not so affordable!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 12-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
fishdc (07-27-2014), Little Bear (12-07-2013), Longtimelurker (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Begonezvous

Default Not illegal

Quote:
Technically, it is not illegal to forgo insurance coverage. The Supreme Court affirmed the "penalty" portion of the ACA as a type of tax and within the authority of the Federal government to assess. So as a consumer, you have the choice of obtaining insurance or paying the penalty "tax". For younger folks, it could be much less expensive to pay the penalty than to sign up for expensive coverage they may not need.
Of course, having no insurance if fine as long as you don't come down with a serious illness.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
rsmlp

good point and I stand corrected. also, you can "wait" until you get sick and THEN buy insurance which is just another reason why premiums are skyrocketing. all in the name of "progressivism"!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
But you must pay for it even if you don't need it. That is the law.
So I guess I better use protection because I'm getting ...... anyway.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
These changes in insurance and premiums are not just occurring in NH, they are happening across the country!

As a business owner who employs approximately 100 people here in NH and Maryland and supplies fully paid health insurance, you simply cannot believe the changes in plans and premiums that have occurred since the threat of and implementation of the "affordable health care act". Our premiums have doubled and deductibles more than tripled!

Just a few years ago (4 years) our plan was with Anthem and had $1,000.00 deductible. Every year since premiums have had huge increases which we simply could not absorb therefore we had to offer plans with higher deductibles to offset the cost. What we use to pay for a $1,000.00 deductible plan is now a $10,000.00

This plan and premium increases are NOT just with Anthem as we have a company who shops out our health insurance to all the major carriers for us. Some years none of the other carriers would even bid on supplying our company with insurance!

We are currently with Harvard Pilgrim and are anticipating yet another huge increase this year.

As a company, I am not sure what we are going to do except pass the additional cost on to the employees, something we have always strived not to do.

I think everyone will soon find out that the "affordable" care act is not so affordable!

Dan
It's hard to be competitive when your employment costs increase so dramatically.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
RLW

Smile

Longtimelurker, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Default Cafeteria Plan

When I was working for a major electronics company, employees can choose from a number of insurance companies. The company will only contribute x amount of money to you health benefit. Any premium above that amount will be taken out of your pay. Anything below will be added to your pay.

They were, Harvard Pilgrim, Matthew Thornton, Anthem, Cigna, Liberty Mutual to name the major players, there were others that I can't recall. All insure in NH at the time. If you have a healthy family, CIGNA is the cheapest. If you have major health issues, Liberty Mutual may be expensive but you are covered. The rest have pros and cons so you need to compare, but most of the 5,000 employees were either CIGNA or Liberty Mutual. Because of that Anthem (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) actually wanted to 'drop out' of the plan. I guess they don't play very well with others.

I was hoping the ACA will work in the same principle but it does not. I was also hoping ACA will put a cap on premiums or invite competition. This clearly shows what lobbyists do and the damage that PAC money can do the taxpayers.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Jeanzb1

A friend of mine here in NH has had Anthem all along, and then Obamacare notified her they were canceled. Now they have to go on the "exchange" where the premium is MUCH MUCH higher. What a farce.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
DickR

I've thought that, if the government wanted to do the most good, they should simply level the "playing field" by requiring the health insurance companies to spread their coverage costs for any individual over their entire base, and not "cherry pick" by giving low rates to large companies at the expense of the small companies, self-employed, and unemployed who lack marketing clout. After all, the whole purpose of insurance of to spread incurred costs over the greatest base possible. The chance that any insured person will incur a covered cost really has nothing to do with the size of the company employing him.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
A friend of mine here in NH has had Anthem all along, and then Obamacare notified her they were canceled. Now they have to go on the "exchange" where the premium is MUCH MUCH higher. What a farce.
I retired to NH 2 years ago. I have to pay for private BCBS as I retired early. I pay $1000 per month. I compared my plan to NH anthem and they were almost the same price, but they had outrageous co-pays and a deductible that would empty anyone's bank account. I have practically no deductible. I had major surgery last year and never saw a bill. This was before Obamacare.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
tummyman

Remember, you have the absolute power to do something. It comes next November at the ballot box. If you keep voting for the current gang in DC, you will continue to reap the "benefits" of their policy. It is up to you. Don't forget these issues and forget what the incumbents try to sell you. Make your own decisions based on the facts, not the rhetoric.

Last edited by tummyman; 12-08-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typing error
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-08-2013), chasedawg (12-09-2013), Diver Vince (12-09-2013), fishdc (07-27-2014), HomeWood (12-09-2013), wifi (12-09-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
AB_Monterey

In 1994, New Hampshire had the second-lowest health insurance costs in the nation. Then came Jeanne Shaheen who catered to BCBS by sponsoring SB 711, and her community rating, which forced insurers to base their rates largely on geography, not risk. At least 21 insurers immediately stopped offering coverage in the state. New Hampshire’s insurance costs rocketed from the second-lowest in the nation to the second-highest.

And here we are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-09-2013), chasedawg (12-09-2013), fishdc (07-27-2014)
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #23
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Hoof and Mouth

Bill Cosby had a very funny bit many years ago called Hoof and Mouth. Anyone older than 45 or so will remember it. The punch line to the story was that the way to cure Hoof and Mouth an therefore not be shot dead was to simply "wipe the foam off your mouth".

The perfect way to understand politicians votes is to look at who they take money from. Both sides have a giant "FOR SALE" signs hung around their necks. If you think that ANY of them vote in OUR best interests you are simply kidding yourself.

Remember "Follow the Money" from the movie "All the Presidents Men" based on Woodwards book Deep Throat? Just follow the money.

Just take a look at this website if want to know who your own favorite political hack really works for. You can very easily search any Politician for any Federal office, House or Senate.

Throw in the "Citizens United" decision that lets any industry, including the Insurance Industry, spend as much as they want with no limits, and you have a very clear picture of who each of the current and past "Political Leaders" really work(ed) for.

Until, we the people, demand public funding of elections this will not change.

Write to your particular Politician! Great Idea! But, if and when they actually open the letter, if a check dosen't fall out of the envelope, you will still get a nicly typed "I understand your concern" letter back, but in that letter they will simply "wipe the foam off their mouth" and add you to their potential Donor list.

http://www.opensecrets.org/industrie...F09&cycle=2014

Last edited by SteveA; 12-09-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteveA For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (01-04-2014), CateP (12-09-2013), chasedawg (12-09-2013), CTYankee (12-14-2013), Whimsey (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
Diver Vince

Unfortunately we indeed have the best government that money can buy!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
In 1994, New Hampshire had the second-lowest health insurance costs in the nation. Then came Jeanne Shaheen who catered to BCBS by sponsoring SB 711, and her community rating, which forced insurers to base their rates largely on geography, not risk. At least 21 insurers immediately stopped offering coverage in the state. New Hampshire’s insurance costs rocketed from the second-lowest in the nation to the second-highest.

And here we are.

That is just about when health insurance started going crazy. Was that also when everything was required whether you wanted it or not? It seems to me the two came about the same time.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
AB_Monterey

Default Follow the money indeed....

http://heartland.org/sites/all/modul...pdfs/17917.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (12-09-2013), tis (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
Billy Bob

Time to start thinking about the advantages of Obamacare.

For all the complaining Romneycare has worked out just fine in Massachusetts and made health care more competitive. Take a look at all the real facts not rumors and you will come around to seeing that the plan will help a lot of every day people
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (12-09-2013), fugitivewife (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post

For all the complaining Romneycare has worked out just fine in Massachusetts and made health care more competitive. Take a look at all the real facts not rumors and you will come around to seeing that the plan will help a lot of every day people
and hurt far more than it helps I'm afraid.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
cairnpath (03-04-2014), chasedawg (12-09-2013), CTYankee (12-14-2013), fishdc (07-27-2014), ishoot308 (12-09-2013), ronc4424 (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
jrc

Quote:
For all the complaining Romneycare has worked out just fine in Massachusetts and made health care more competitive....
Sure it has, in January the state had the highest costs and we (a Mass company) just got our new rates. Up 12% for the same coverage.

http://www.masslive.com/politics/ind...ing_to_ad.html

I'm sure this is good for the Mass economy...
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Sure it has, in January the state had the highest costs and we (a Mass company) just got our new rates. Up 12% for the same coverage.
...and looking at the S&P healthcare index...it's up nearly 37% since the beginning of this year. Your rate increase has nothing to do with costs or being "forced" to cover more people, it has nothing to do with politics, it's got everything to do with plain old corporate greed.

http://us.spindices.com/indices/equi...th-care-sector
Old 12-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
jrc

I really don't want to get into a political argument on this site, but corporate greed is the same in every state. You can't use that to explain why one state has the highest rates.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
...and looking at the S&P healthcare index...it's up nearly 37% since the beginning of this year. Your rate increase has nothing to do with costs or being "forced" to cover more people, it has nothing to do with politics, it's got everything to do with plain old corporate greed.

moreover, even if you're right, it still doesn't address the problem; much higher health care costs for all but the few who either didn't have health insurance (and STILL won't because if you believe that these people will now buy insurance you're seriously deluded), those with preexisting conditions or those who qualify for subsidies which is pretty much the poor. so if you believe my premise that the vast majority of those who didn't have health insurance before Ocare still won't, then we're helping a very small minority of the population and getting raked over the coals to do so.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:

Agreed, the difference is that NH has only one bidder, there is no competition and the prices are the highest (so far) in the country, exactly because of a lack of competition. Anthem has a free ride, and can charge whatever they please, and decide what hospitals and doctors you can select from.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Agreed, the difference is that NH has only one bidder, there is no competition and the prices are the highest (so far) in the country, exactly because of a lack of competition. Anthem has a free ride, and can charge whatever they please, and decide what hospitals and doctors you can select from.
you are obviously missing the point here. WHY is anthem the only provider in NH? because liberal regulations made it unattractive for others to compete here! if you're blaming capitalism for high health care costs you are completely misguided. capitaism has driven the cost of technology down forcibly. the problem is the LACK of capitalism (competition).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
cairnpath (03-04-2014), nicole (12-10-2013), ronc4424 (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
longislander

You are correct, rslmp, liberalism, in the form of Obamacare, has caused the health care fiasco.

I'm on Medicare A & B, being 66 years of age (and very healthy) and also have Cigna as part of my pension from a previous employer ... at least for now.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of your situation, but since you are looking for insurance, I'm presuming you're an "independent" insurance seeker.

Not only is Anthem the only show in NH, but 10 of NH 's 26 hospitals are excluded!!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/w...ketplace-plans

We've just begun to hear the horror stories ... more will pop-up in 2014 ... loss of health insurance by those now covered by employers ... deductibles ... premiums ... God helps us ... Obamacare will not!

Was there only Anthem before Obamacare? Were there only 16 hospitals in the system ... excluding some of the best in the state!

Where was the clamor for insurance reform that Obamacare fixed? Why wasn't the issue the cost of medical care ... not insurance ... get ready for single payer system.

"Technically, it is not illegal to forgo insurance coverage. The Supreme Court affirmed the "penalty" portion of the ACA as a type of tax and within the authority of the Federal government to assess. So as a consumer, you have the choice of obtaining insurance or paying the penalty "tax". For younger folks, it could be much less expensive to pay the penalty than to sign up for expensive coverage they may not need.
Of course, having no insurance if fine as long as you don't come down with a serious illness. "

... and what if the young refuse to pay the "tax" ... is that not illegal ... and is it not because of Obamacare! Maybe the government will decide "breathing" needs to be taxed ... tea in the Harbor, anyone!

Sure ... I know ... the IRS will chase the illegals, probably only some select segment of society, that the IRS chooses to pursue ... and that will make everything so nice and equal.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post

Have you noticed what the overall stock-market is doing? Plus 30% give or take. The S&P healthcare index is up sharply because of the overall rise in the stock market in combination with the fact that it provides an attractive dividend yield and investors are willing to pay more for dividend yielding stocks in a zero percent interest rate world. I would also note that corporate earnings are up just 3% this year. Thus, the majority of the gain in the S&P 500 and the healthcare index is being driven by multiple expansion not profit expansion.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #37
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
you are obviously missing the point here. WHY is anthem the only provider in NH? because liberal regulations made it unattractive for others to compete here! if you're blaming capitalism for high health care costs you are completely misguided. capitaism has driven the cost of technology down forcibly. the problem is the LACK of capitalism (competition).
Humm.. seems like the issue isn't as cut and dry as a lack of capitalism.. which I'm a big fan of.

Before ACA, Anthem already had 90% of New Hampshire.. all the other good capitalists.. ran and hid.

This from that wildly liberal Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...new-hampshire/

Look, New Hampshire and West Virginia both have 1 bidder, Rhode Island has only 2. It not Capitailism or Liberalism.. or any other ism it's Math.. With Anthem already owning the NH market, why would a company come to the NH market for 10% of the pie?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #38
JDeere

Default The real reason...

NH went to guarantee issue. I am very conservative but that seems fair to me. Once that happened the insurers pulled out. Why? Well...how do you spread the risk over such a small state? No idea. The questions is why can't we buy health from anywhere but our home state? Ask Mr. Obama.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #39
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
NH went to guarantee issue. I am very conservative but that seems fair to me. Once that happened the insurers pulled out. Why? Well...how do you spread the risk over such a small state? No idea. The questions is why can't we buy health from anywhere but our home state? Ask Mr. Obama.
I'm moderately Liberal, and I agree 100%. I have written the same to both Senators, and both Members of Congress with that exact question, and all I get is the "chirping sound". No replies.

With wonderful Hospitals in Boston, a mere 40 miles from our border,why should 100% of the folks that sign up for the ACA be shut out of those facilities?

Now the liberal part of me pushed for, and still believes that Medicare for ALL, a true National Healthcare program was the best idea that never got off the ground.

If you are on the Anthem BCBS plan.. you can not get treatment, that will be paid for, outside of New Hampshire, in fact even some NH hospitals have been cut out of the NH ACA program completely.

Due to some serious health problems in my family, I really tried to be sure that what I just typed was in fact correct. It is, I spoke to Mass General and they confirmed that is the case. Even MGH facilities and Doctors physically located in New Hampshire can not bill Anthem BCBS ACA plans for ANY services, none, zero.

Did you know that BCBS is a non-profit company?

"According to a report by Carl McDonald of Citi Investment Research and Analysis, last year was the most profitable year in history for the Blues plans, which enjoy significant tax advantages because of their claim to be nonprofit and terrific community citizens. Collectively, the Blues reported more than $5.5 billion in net income in 2010"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendel..._b_856207.html

It's not a political football, to be tossed around.. the reality is the ACA is seriously flawed and needs to be fixed.. not scrapped like my Tea Party friends seem to want to do.

PS.. the current plan was orginally thought up and proposed by the massive left wing wacko organization.. The Heritage Foundation

Really.. seriously take just a quick look at this website.. it is not a spoof.. the actualy proposal from the Heritage Foundation is posted on this site!

The problem is the GOP proposed the plan FIRST!, but because they hate Predident Obama they turned on their own plan!

http://americablog.com/2013/10/origi...l-mandate.html
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #40
windsail

Default Vernont

Vermont is going into a single payer system and the prices are low. Will be one to keep an eye on and see how it goes.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #41
AB_Monterey

Default $2B in new taxes still qualify as low?

http://www.gmoutlook.com/news/2013/n...d-single-paye/
The Following User Says Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
nicole (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #42
Flylady

Default Living in 2 states

This tread has been very helpful. I am retiring in March 2014, and have started to look at my private insurance options to bridge the gap until medicare in a few more years. I definitely will be more serious about buying a plan in CA. that will cover me for the months I live in NH.......was thinking of changing home states but looks like I have a lot more to figure out.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #43
secondcurve

Quote:
I'm moderately Liberal, and I agree 100%. I have written the same to both Senators, and both Members of Congress with that exact question, and all I get is the "chirping sound". No replies.

With wonderful Hospitals in Boston, a mere 40 miles from our border,why should 100% of the folks that sign up for the ACA be shut out of those facilities?

Now the liberal part of me pushed for, and still believes that Medicare for ALL, a true National Healthcare program was the best idea that never got off the ground.

If you are on the Anthem BCBS plan.. you can not get treatment, that will be paid for, outside of New Hampshire, in fact even some NH hospitals have been cut out of the NH ACA program completely.

Due to some serious health problems in my family, I really tried to be sure that what I just typed was in fact correct. It is, I spoke to Mass General and they confirmed that is the case. Even MGH facilities and Doctors physically located in New Hampshire can not bill Anthem BCBS ACA plans for ANY services, none, zero.

Did you know that BCBS is a non-profit company?

"According to a report by Carl McDonald of Citi Investment Research and Analysis, last year was the most profitable year in history for the Blues plans, which enjoy significant tax advantages because of their claim to be nonprofit and terrific community citizens. Collectively, the Blues reported more than $5.5 billion in net income in 2010"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendel..._b_856207.html

It's not a political football, to be tossed around.. the reality is the ACA is seriously flawed and needs to be fixed.. not scrapped like my Tea Party friends seem to want to do.

PS.. the current plan was orginally thought up and proposed by the massive left wing wacko organization.. The Heritage Foundation

Really.. seriously take just a quick look at this website.. it is not a spoof.. the actualy proposal from the Heritage Foundation is posted on this site!

The problem is the GOP proposed the plan FIRST!, but because they hate Predident Obama they turned on their own plan!

http://americablog.com/2013/10/origi...l-mandate.html
Steve:

The ACA is a welfare system and the costs need to be paid somehow. We can argue if this is good or bad but the fact is that many more folks are being added to the healthcare rolls and this costs money. Lots of money. Liberals like to think that by taxing rich folks and squeezing the insurance companies only the wealthy will feel the pain. This is not true because of the tremendous costs associated with the ACA and as dreams meet reality we are starting to see that many average citizens are being negatively impacted (higher costs, lack of access, etc.) and in fact I think it is a good thing. Why? Simple. Many if not most Americans want something for nothing. The reality is that if the liberals want a plan like ACA they and everybody else should contribute to make it a possibility and I think this is starting to happened as evidenced by reduced care and access, etc. So ask yourself this Steve as a liberal with sick family members are you willing to sacrifice the best care (ie Boston Hospitals, etc) for your family members in exchange for access for all? I hope so because I think this is what you about to get.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Major (12-10-2013), nicole (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #44
fatlazyless

Default .....New Hampshire and Vermont?

Vermont, population 626,011
www.healthconnect.vermont.gov

New Hampshire, population 1,320,718
http://www.healthinsurance.org/new_h...ance-exchange/

For now, New Hampshire has the one insurance provider, Anthem-Blue Cross-NH to provide the bronze-silver-gold coverage that goes with the Affordable Healthcare Act of 2010, which is to start on Jan 1, 2014.

And, how many different insurance providers does Vermont have .... am trying to figure this out from the Vermont website?

....on the road to single-payer health care??? .. ..

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-10-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #45
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.... as a 62-year old who has been 100% totally un-insured for something like the last ten years....here is what I've learned....it is so much cheaper than health insurance to just stay healthy....and to stay the heck away from ambulances, emergency rooms, and anyone with an M.D. after their name.....healthcare on the cheap....locally maybe go to the convenient care walk-in clinic at Laconia's Lakes Region Gen Hosp which supposedly has a $150 ceiling cap per visit if one should catch a bad case of the flu or something and u-need a prescription....I have never ever ever been there yet so I do not really know what I'm talking about?????

Speare Hospital in Plymouth has nothing similar to Convenience Care from what I know?????

www.lrgh.org/Programs-Services/Convenience-Care

....on the road to single-payer health care! .. ..
Less, not sure if you are kidding or not, but your behavior above is very foolish. Odds of having a major medical issue increase dramatically as you age, yearly screenings will catch many life threatening illnesses. I hope your good health continues because without insurance you risk losing everything if it does not...
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
Warren T

Default health insurance

Ok I've been looking at most of the replies... Here's my question? Does that $1000.00 a month cover a "family" with kids? or is it the individual cost? I may be moving to NH and it would be just my wife and I... So, would it cost us less for just the two of us?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #47
windsail

Default health care

As the saying goes The Republicans steal from everyone and help the rich, The Democrats steal from the everyone and gives breadcrumbs to the poor. So it depends on where you are in the end, either way they are are stealing from us.
lol
Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #48
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Steve:

The ACA is a welfare system and the costs need to be paid somehow. We can argue if this is good or bad but the fact is that many more folks are being added to the healthcare rolls and this costs money. Lots of money. Liberals like to think that by taxing rich folks and squeezing the insurance companies only the wealthy will feel the pain. This is not true because of the tremendous costs associated with the ACA and as dreams meet reality we are starting to see that many average citizens are being negatively impacted (higher costs, lack of access, etc.) and in fact I think it is a good thing. Why? Simple. Many if not most Americans want something for nothing. The reality is that if the liberals want a plan like ACA they and everybody else should contribute to make it a possibility and I think this is starting to happened as evidenced by reduced care and access, etc. So ask yourself this Steve as a liberal with sick family members are you willing to sacrifice the best care (ie Boston Hospitals, etc) for your family members in exchange for access for all? I hope so because I think this is what you about to get.
SC,

LOL.. very provocative, but I won't pick up the bait!
As a liberal, (and as stated, I'm not some crazy lefty)

No, I'm not willing to risk my wife's health for any amount of money, frankly the question is a bit of an insult and way out of character for you. That is why I'm fighting the current ACA regs with the State, Senator's Sheehen and Ayote and my House Rep Carol Shea Porter. I am pressing them to support allowing cross border care. If nothing else it is clearly a restraint of fair trade IMHO.

No major program, either Government or Private ends up like they came out of the blocks. Tweaking programs is a common and wise. Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security have all been "tweaked", I want it fixed, not killed.

How much did you and many others have to tweak the speed limit law? I'd bet a fairly good bit. I'd also bet those tweaks made it BETTER.

The choice isn't accept it, the goal of my conversations with the people that supposedly represent me, is to fix the problem, not, like many of the Tea Party folks to just throw it out.

Funny you didn't comment on the fact that the ACA was actually a Heritage Foundation program, almost word for word!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
BroadHopper

Default I agree SteveA

However ACA does not foster competition nor does it control the spiraling cost of care. It is not 'affordable' by any means except to those who cannot afford insurance. Rather it just spreads the cost of insurance to all. But in a very haphazard way. If we really want socialized medicine we should look at what is in place in the Scandinavian countries. Yes they control health care cost but the health system in place is second to none for their constituents.

If ACA is all about spreading the cost of care, it should be about setting basic guidelines among the health insurers and the health industry, not taking over the industry itself and telling everyone what to do. Let the industry takes care of itself, but tell the industry that no one should not be without proper care.
SteveA (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #50
ITD

It's Obamacare, and it's a disaster, saying that the republicans wrote it is a lie, the Heritage "plan" people are talking about was a rebuttal to Hillary care and was never widely accepted at the time. Obamacare is a partisan hack job, passed only with democrat votes, using maneuvers that were intended only for moving budgets. Obama lied about being able to keep your doctor, your health plan and saving $2,500 in premiums over what you had 3 years ago. The people losing their plans now are a drop in the bucket compared to the people were scheduled to lose their plans next year when business mandate was to take effect. Obama, illegally I might add, has chosen to ignore HIS signature law and postpone that pain, until after the 2014 elections. The majority doesn't need and doesn't want a government take over of the health care system. If you haven't felt the pain of Obamacare yet, you will. Liberals can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig.

I'm surprised that this topic is in this forum, and I am surprised that our Webmaster has let it continue.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (01-04-2014), LakeSnake (12-11-2013), Little Bear (12-10-2013), Major (12-10-2013), ronc4424 (12-10-2013), wifi (12-11-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #51
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Less, not sure if you are kidding or not, but your behavior above is very foolish. Odds of having a major medical issue increase dramatically as you age, yearly screenings will catch many life threatening illnesses. I hope your good health continues because without insurance you risk losing everything if it does not...
....no....I'm not kidding about being 100% un-insured for the last ten years or so.....anyway....in less than three years when I reach 65....then I will be eligible for Medicare.....which is a single-payer health care system....so's it's not like I will need to go 100% un-insured till I'm 95 or so.....

....about ten years ago I had Anthem-Blue Cross-NH and after seeing how they processed one small claim I decided to just drop all health coverage.....and you know that none of this medical insurance seems to include any dental coverage anyway...

....i'm as healthy as a horse......and just as smart....and just as smart....weeeoooooo.....k-naieeee......winnieeeeeee....quote the famous Mr Ed! ( a talking tv horse from the 1960's in case u did not know!)

...on the road to single-payer health care??? .. ..
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #52
DEJ

Quote:
....i'm as healthy as a horse......and just as smart......
You are a "horses ass" if you have not had blood work performed or an EKG etc... etc... in the past 10 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
wifi (12-11-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #53
gtagrip

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the penalties worked out to be less expensive than signing up for health insurance. At least that was the talk a few years ago. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #54
ITD

Quote:

...on the road to single-payer health care??? .. ..
Nice troll there Less, not taking the bait though. Hope you've got nothing brewing until 65.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #55
gtagrip

Default Unelected one.....

was right, Obamacare should have been repealed!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #56
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
I'm surprised that this topic is in this forum, and I am surprised that our Webmaster has let it continue.
I started this thread as a nonpolitical request for information. namely asking if there were any alternatives to Anthem is NH. it has blown into something that while unintended is also unsurprising. the BOTTOM LINE is there is basically no alternative to Anthem and either my family and I go uninsured which for anyone serious is NOT an option, we pay $15,000 premium with $10,000 deductible (complete BS) or buy a home in another more competitive state.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #57
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Harvard Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp
I started this thread as a nonpolitical request for information. namely asking if there were any alternatives to Anthem is NH. it has blown into something that while unintended is also unsurprising. the BOTTOM LINE is there is basically no alternative to Anthem and either my family and I go uninsured which for anyone serious is NOT an option, we pay $15,000 premium with $10,000 deductible (complete BS) or buy a home in another more competitive state.
I have read more than one newspaper article that says that Harvard Pilgrim is planning on entering the marketplace in either 2014 or 2015. However, I have not seen anything more than what, at times, seems to be pure speculation.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #58
Pineedles

fll, I hope you at least go into one of the pharmacies and check your blood pressure, the machines are normally free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
SteveA (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #59
BroadHopper

Default Repeal of HB 711

If we can get the legislature to repeal Shaheen's famous 1994 bill, we will have competition in this state. CIGNA will and can put a huge dent on BCBS business. However no one wants to cross a state senator! Let alone all the PAC money BCBS will pour against the repeal. BCBS made 2B in profit last year and they can afford it! I thought non-profits are for the benefits of the subscribers??????????
Old 12-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #60
ITD

Quote:
I don't blame you nor anyone else including our webmaster for the turn this thread has taken, it just happens sometimes.

I have a family of five here in MA and pay $1,150 a month with 2k/4k deductible through a small business alliance. $15 k for two sounds expensive, I would call an agent or two in NH and get a couple of quotes, if you can still do that after Obamacare. Good luck!!

Edit
Just looked at the price on the website for two born in 1955, you are screwed along with the rest of us..... sorry, elections have consequences.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #61
winniplayhouse

Don't know if this helps, but as an FYI our (very small) business here in NH just switched from Anthem to Harvard Pilgrim. Our Anthem premiums were going to go up around 10% from last year. If I remember correctly, Harvard Pilgrim was around 3% lower than what we paid last year.

That said, my husband has been through three surgeries, chemo and radiation (and countless tests, doctors visits, ER visits, hospital stays etc, etc) in the past 8 months and Anthem has been amazing. Did not have a single glitch or headache dealing with them. I'm crossing my fingers that Harvard Pilgrim's service will be as good.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #62
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Just an fyi for comparisons... For 2013 my company's family plan with a $5,000.00 deductible cost $988.00 per month through Harvard Pilgrim. For 2014 we are anticipating an increase to raise this cost to well exceed $1,100.00 per month... Anthem would have been higher.

While I realize you are looking for "individual" health care, I think you will find the rates are not all that different.

Harvard Pilgrim does in fact plan on supplying individual health plans but I believe it is not until 2015.

Dan
jeffatsquam (12-10-2013), rsmlp (12-10-2013), upthesaukee (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #63
ronc4424

I am retired and covered under my wifes employer, Mass General Hospital. We have BCBS. They take $24.64 out of her check weekly. We have full dental,vison, $20.00 for 3 mth supply of maintenance drugs and our copay is $15.00. MGH pays 90% of our healthcare. Do you think I will be upset if we have to go on Obamacare?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #64
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
I am retired and covered under my wifes employer, Mass General Hospital. We have BCBS. They take $24.64 out of her check weekly. We have full dental,vison, $20.00 for 3 mth supply of maintenance drugs and our copay is $15.00. MGH pays 90% of our healthcare. Do you think I will be upset if we have to go on Obamacare?
You have it made! That is probably one of the Cadillac plans that will be taxed when Obamacare goes into effect. I should say fully into effect.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
secondcurve

Quote:
SC,

LOL.. very provocative, but I won't pick up the bait!
As a liberal, (and as stated, I'm not some crazy lefty)

No, I'm not willing to risk my wife's health for any amount of money, frankly the question is a bit of an insult and way out of character for you. That is why I'm fighting the current ACA regs with the State, Senator's Sheehen and Ayote and my House Rep Carol Shea Porter. I am pressing them to support allowing cross border care. If nothing else it is clearly a restraint of fair trade IMHO.

No major program, either Government or Private ends up like they came out of the blocks. Tweaking programs is a common and wise. Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security have all been "tweaked", I want it fixed, not killed.

How much did you and many others have to tweak the speed limit law? I'd bet a fairly good bit. I'd also bet those tweaks made it BETTER.

The choice isn't accept it, the goal of my conversations with the people that supposedly represent me, is to fix the problem, not, like many of the Tea Party folks to just throw it out.

Funny you didn't comment on the fact that the ACA was actually a Heritage Foundation program, almost word for word!
Steve:

I didn't realize your wife was ill and I didn't mean to insult you. I am sorry if I did.

My point is bringing lots of uninsured onto the ACA, however noble, will be expensive especially when an inefficient government is running the process. Paying for these new costs will likely require a combination of reduced flexibility and access to healthcare and increased premiums for the young and self-employed. Further, there will be lots of unintended consequences like closing off some of the better hospitals to certain groups. I hope it goes smoothly but I know it won't.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #66
fatlazyless

Quote:
Obviously, I have no solution, but maybe it could be worth it to take a look at neighboring Vermont's website www.healthconnect.vermont.gov just to take a look-see?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that relatively lower-priced Medicare is available to Vermonters aged 62-64, while residents of New Hampshire need to wait until age 65. As a 62-year old here in New Hampshire, Medicare will have to wait for me thanks to the 13-Republican state senators in the 24-seat New Hampshire Senate who voted NO recently, including Meredith's State Senator Jeanie Forrester..........thankyou NOT! www.jeanieforrester.com ..... "The conservative grassroots choice"

"No deal on Medicaid expansion to 50,000 low-income New Hampshire adults"
http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/9...caid-expansion

"NH Senate rejects plans to extend Medicaid coverage to an estimated 49,000 poor adults"
http://www.pressherald.com/news/nati...xpansion_.html

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-12-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #67
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not sure what you are looking at FLL

First of all, here is the information on SS and Medicare, right from the SSA administration help center:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/12/~/earliest-age-to-get-social-security-retirement-and-medicare

When I clicked on the Vt page, the only thing I saw for Medicare, as opposed to Medicaid, was the following:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/12/~/earliest-age-to-get-social-security-retirement-and-medicare

The only thing I have seen lately by the State Senators has to do with expanding Medicaid, not Medicare.

Perhaps you may have confused the two.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #68
SIKSUKR

While this thread has gotten a little political, it also has some very important info in it for all Winni forum members which is probably why our WM has allowed it to continue. Thanks and keep those posts coming from you well spoken and informed members.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #69
BroadHopper

Default Servicelink NH

NH folks, if you have any questions about eligibility for Medicaid, Medicare or ACA, please see your nearest Servicelink office.

http://www.nh.gov/servicelink/

They have been very helpful in many cases. I just arrange a presentation for those with a hearing loss and they really open our eyes at what is available out there!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #70
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You have it made! That is probably one of the Cadillac plans that will be taxed when Obamacare goes into effect. I should say fully into effect.
The 40% excise tax on so-called cadillac health coverage ($10,200 individual, $27,500 family) goes into effect on January 1, 2018, about four years away ........ and President Obama's second term ends on January 20, 2017 ...... so only time will tell how it unfolds with this new 40% excise tax on luxurious, high-powered health plans like the one here at www.meredithnh.org (click on Employee Resource Center)????
Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #71
Begonezvous

Default Another zinger from the government

Quote:
The 40% excise tax on so-called cadillac health coverage ($10,200 individual, $27,500 family) goes into effect on January 1, 2018, about four years away ........ and President Obama's second term ends on January 20, 2017 ...... so only time will tell how it unfolds with this new 40% excise tax on luxurious, high-powered health plans like the one here at www.meredithnh.org (click on Employee Resource Center)????
Although the limits on Cadillac plans are indexed to inflation, I am sure the index will not keep up with the actual medical inflation index over time. So as the cost of health care continues to rise, we will all eventually have Cadillac plans and we will all be paying taxes on the value of these plans. My negative view of our elected leaders tells me that this was their evil master plan from the beginning.
This is the same thing that happened with the Alternative Minimum Tax. This was originally intended to tax 60 or so millionaires in the 1960s; it now impacts millions of middle class taxpayers who apparently do not pay enough taxes already.
Sorry for the political commentary, I couldn't help myself!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Begonezvous For This Useful Post:
ITD (12-14-2013), ronc4424 (01-02-2014)