Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
GTO

Default Stay in

Rte 25 is a skating rink. Accidents all over. Sanders just getting out now. Traffics backed going down the hill towards meredith to patrician shores
Beaubeech (01-18-2015), billy (01-18-2015), Gatto Nero (01-18-2015), Old Hubbard Rd (01-18-2015), secondcurve (01-18-2015), surfnsnow (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Mooseyme

Default updates

Any updates/reports on road conditions from Ashland to Moultonborough? RT 132, 104, and 25 update?
Mooseyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
GTO

Default Clear now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseyme View Post
Any updates/reports on road conditions from Ashland to Moultonborough? RT 132, 104, and 25 update?
Just came back from town. 25 is clear, just wet. Traffic moving freely
Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
TheProfessor

Multiple cars off road on Route 93.

93 south at junction of route 89. Cars heading south could not make up hill.
Tractor trailer jack knifed. Fire trucks on highway could not move because of ice.

Just wonder why the DPW didn't get a handle on this before the rain.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that there just might be problems.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Tractor trailer jack knifed. Fire trucks on highway could not move because of ice.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that there just might be problems.
It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that people stay off the roads unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

Mooseyme, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in August 2009. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see'ya back on the forum.

Mooseyme (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Mooseyme

Thumbs up Thanks!

Travelers made it safely! Thanks everyone for your info.
Mooseyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #8
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Well -- My wife & I set an all time record for the amount of time it takes to commute between our Condo in Gilford and home in MA yesterday. A normal 1hour, 50 min ride took a record setting 5hr 10min yesterday.

Left the condo shortly before 11 and as stated above the roads were just beginning to show signs of glazing over (our goal was to beat it South before it got too bad). There were no less than 25 separate skidding accidents on 93 between Tilton and Concord. Five of which looked rather severe (overturned vehicles). But nothing compared to being stuck in Concord for over and hour -- virtually trapped between exits - in what I now know to be the tanker jack-knife. Seems they closed BOTH North & Southbound as a result.

One observation was that because there were evidently SO many incidents -- the State Police (and local's) must have been stretched to the MAX as not a SINGLE incident that we passed on 93 had a State Cruiser respond (until the Concord incident) only Samaritans.

What amazes me most is the number of IDIOTS that still do not understand that no matter how good your vehicle, no matter how talented a driver you may think you are --- ICE doesn't give a $hoot !! I cannot tell you the number of times yesterday when just passing a skid out - you look in the side view to see some wacko flying up from behind in the (now clearly iced) passing lane.

safely home,
Phantom

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Well -- My wife & I set an all time record for the amount of time it takes to commute between our Condo in Gilford and home in MA yesterday. A normal 1hour, 50 min ride took a record setting 5hr 10min yesterday.

Left the condo shortly before 11 and as stated above the roads were just beginning to show signs of glazing over (our goal was to beat it South before it got too bad). There were no less than 25 separate skidding accidents on 93 between Tilton and Concord. Five of which looked rather severe (overturned vehicles). But nothing compared to being stuck in Concord for over and hour -- virtually trapped between exits - in what I now know to be the tanker jack-knife. Seems they closed BOTH North & Southbound as a result.

One observation was that because there were evidently SO many incidents -- the State Police (and local's) must have been stretched to the MAX as not a SINGLE incident that we passed on 93 had a State Cruiser respond (until the Concord incident) only Samaritans.

What amazes me most is the number of IDIOTS that still do not understand that no matter how good your vehicle, no matter how talented a driver you may think you are --- ICE doesn't give a $hoot !! I cannot tell you the number of times yesterday when just passing a skid out - you look in the side view to see some wacko flying up from behind in the (now clearly iced) passing lane.

safely home,
Phantom

Umm not for nothing but you were out in it too!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
wynndog (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
8gv

There's nothing like the feeling of hitting the brakes and getting no response.

No decelleration, no anti-lock braking noise, just the quiet and an erie sensation in the pit of the stomach that says I'M SCREWED!!!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Phantom (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
Phantom

I totally agree dpg!

When we left, it was just beginning to drizzle and "Appeared" to be okay. Rte 3 from Gilford thru Tilton was no issues. Which might have triggered a turn around. We also knew that it was only raining with Temps in the low 40's in MA. So how bad could it be .....right? A slow and steady ride has never rattled us in the past (be it snow or week-end leaf peepers)

Thus (on bad judgment) figured we would beat the messy roads as opposed to being in the midst of it and left early. Normally we do not trek back until dinner hour --- which with 20/20 hindsight is what we should have done yesterday.

Last edited by Phantom; 01-19-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
dpg

I believe the issue this weekend was that the ground was just so cold. Even last night walking the dog it didn't feel that cold at all (well considering) but the street was getting a little slick to walk on.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

^ It was almost forty here and still freezing on the ground. Exactly what caused the ice storm of '08.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
Rusty

This happened yesterday in NJ:

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default .....sandy...sandy...sandy...and more sandy!

On Sunday, there was so much sanding sand spread all over the Meredith Neck Rd by the big fleet of town trucks that it looked like a sandy beach.....for a couple minutes there....I thought I was driving down Daytona Beach at 40-mph .....sandy-sandy-sandy....until I woke up after smacking into a deer and was still in Meredith, NH.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
SIKSUKR

Holy dirty diapers Rusty! Not sure if I would have stayed where this guy was with that double trailer coming at me. Wow!

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 01-22-2015 at 02:28 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Was in Conn.

Glad I waited until yesterday instead of traveling Sunday from New Haven.

I usually travel up 91 to Rte 9 in NH. Instead of the Kamikaze traffic on 84/90/390/495.