Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
ART

Default Scared to Swim

Every summer of my 8-year old son's life have been spent on the lake. He has always displayed only a luke warm interest in getting in the water. While a very good swimmer this year he seems outright disinterested. I asked him about it and he said 'there are big fish, snapping turtles, and snakes in that water'. So...he does not want to get in the water. Have any of you dealt with this? Suggestions?
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Janie

Default Where are you having him swim?

Where are you located? Is it a gradual decline into deeper water? Sandy bottom? If not, bring him somewhere where you can find sand and a gradual decline into the water. Bring him there for a couple of days swimming with him and, then, he'll be ready for jumping from the dock, etc. If you already have the gradual decline and sandy bottom. I don't know. My boys (5.5 and 6.5) love the water. They jump from the dock and swim around. They like having eachother. Maybe a friend his age would help, too. If you are on Cow Island, maybe you could stop by and see if my boys can help him get over it.
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
murph

Default scared to swim

My 12 year old son went through the same stage. He was scared of a turtle. We let him work it out on his own. He loves the water now.
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
osterber

My 25-year-old younger brother is sometimes scared of the deep, dark water. He was a varsity swimmer in college, and is doing a PhD in, in you can believe it, marine biology. He spends his free time in research submarines down 10,000 feet below the surface. But the deep dark waters of Winnipesaukee are still intimidating.

Best thing I can think of is to give your son a mask and snorkel so that he can look around on his own at the end of the dock. If he can _see_ that there's nothing there, it will help him to believe there's nothing there that's dangerous.

-Rick
osterber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
ART

Thank you all for your advice. I'll keep you posted over the next few weeks as we try your suggestions. My son swims well and has taken many swimming lessons. Our two older kids swim in the lake and never had any concerns. I like the sandy beach and snorkle/mask suggestions... Thanks.

Janie, we're in Wolfeboro. Thanks for the play-date offer. I'll drop you an email when we are up there. Best, Art
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
abay

Since you are in Wolfeboro, you must be aquainted with Carry Beach, a great public beach!! Sandy bottom, very gradual decline. A great place to get him adjusted.
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Picture of Carry Beach

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
Grant

We got our kids to stop worrying about the big resident snapping turtle by giving them masks and encouraging them to follow it around for a while. Soon they realized that the gnarly-looking dude wanted nothing to do with them, and was more a-scared of the big humans than they would ever be of him. Takes time. I can remember being a young whelp and wondering what manner of weirdness was lurking in the depths, waiting to pull me under and cause great pain. Know what? I wasn't until I'd taken a few long scuba dives below Winni that I REALLY understood how little is really down there!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #9
Kona Bay Girl

Default Fishing!

If you have a dock, take the kid fishing at the end of it, just to see what exaclty is in the water. He won't have to get in the water for this one and it might put his mind at ease if he catches nothing.

Also, if you have a gradual decline, rake the leaves out of the water early spring every year. I know the dead-leaves look of the bottom of the lake isn't really appealing on my behalf