Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Jimr

Default Safe to leave water on?

Hey Guys
Going up early this year to open cabin. Do you think it’s safe to leave water on as far as freezing pipes? Don’t think 24 deg. at night will freeze pipes inside but not sure. What do you think?
Thanks Jim
Jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Looking at the temps in the weather page, no, if you have a totally unheated cottage, I'd wait till Monday, April 16, before leaving the water storage tank all pressured up and the faucets closed. Typically, a standard porcelain toilet is a first item to get destroyed when it cracks down low to the floor.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
FlyingScot

Agreed with FLL, especially if it is a cabin. Even if there's only a 10% chance of pipes freezing, it's such a high price to pay if they burst
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
SAB1

I think you are fine. Not seeing any nights below freezing. Even if it dipped into the twenties the days look warm enuff
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Dad sold the C * C

I went up yesterday and the indoor outdoor thermometer had a max of 45 in the kitchen. Underneath the cabin is blocked in so I did put all the drain nipples on and reconnected pipes but did not startup the well.

Winnisquam is still frozen in front of our place and it just feels cold. Hopefully in a week of two. On the other hand all the bottled water I left in the basement has thawed.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

Purchasing these has made my water worries a lot less likely. This particular maker, Guardian by Elexa, is available on Amazon for $399 and has three sensors. You can place the sensors anywhere you may have a water problem. Under the hot water tank, washing machine and kitchen sink are my targets.
A small investment for piece of mind. Possibly a reduction in your home owner's insurance too.

https://youtu.be/tOZ-qfh2C5I
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Why take a chance? I would turn water off but leave all faucets and valves open. A little RV antifreeze in the toilets and you're good to go.
If there is any residual water in the pipes, they're not likely to burst with all the valves open.
When I've done this in the past we just come in, turn on the water and then close all faucets and valves one by one to clear them.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
winnisquam

Default Frozen Water Lines

I went up yesterday and turned the water on and no leaks, always the first milestone. Back to MA last night as the weather was deteriorating.

Read these post this morning and got to wondering? Drove back up to the lake and "boom", frozen waterline coming into 2 cottages. Two hours of effort and the ice was removed from the lines, then I drained the systems and added the anti freeze, one step back . . .
winnisquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
jbolty

thermo cube.

never saw this exact item before but looks like a cheap alternative to turning on a heater or lighbulb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006U2HD2...-v9wfnr-VG7AHG
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Still need a heat source to plug into thermocube. I use these to turn my roof melting wires off & on during winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote