Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Fargo

Default Laconiafest Weirs Drive In

We live a mile away from the Weirs and the music was so loud I thought my neighbor was playing the music. That lasted until midnight. Was anyone else bothered by this or am I just getting old and sour?
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
noreast

All week, all night. Oh boy... And just because you're old and sour, doesn't make you wrong.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Slow so far

Attendance is not what they had hoped for. Last night (Saturday) there were so few people there that they opened it up to everyone. No charge.

It should be interesting to see what the rest of the week brings. Better weather will help!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Attendance is not what they had hoped for. Last night (Saturday) there were so few people there that they opened it up to everyone. No charge.

It should be interesting to see what the rest of the week brings. Better weather will help!
Looks like today was free, too --starting to be posts about what happens to those who paid. Ticket sales that low?!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
HellRaZoR004

I'm not surprised attendance was low, the weather was crap. I went up to work on a few things at the boat and it was all over the place. Cold, windy and scattered showers.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
SteveO123

Why pay $45 when you can hear it a mile away?
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
rick35

We hear the bass from Meadowbrook during concerts which is about as far from us on south Bear (3+ miles) but the music from the Weirs was much much louder. It must have been pretty bad for people much closer.
rick35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnisquamer

45$?? Ill stand outside the fence and listen
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Looks like today was free, too --starting to be posts about what happens to those who paid. Ticket sales that low?!

I would have purchased 4 ticket on 2 separate days but I was unable to get any info on PARKING for the event. I just checked their web site and it still says TBA. I guess their target market was only Bike Week attendees with no regard for the locals. I am also willing to bet that a large part of the Bike Week attendees were unaware of the events in advance of arriving to the Weirs.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #10
JADAQ

Try living 500 feet behind the stage, each night has gotten louder and louder.

Does anyone know the noise ordinance in Laconia? What time are they suppose to shut down?

Some people still work for a living and get up at 4:00am
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Fargo

Default Noise

Call the mayor's office and complain, 527-1270. I did.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
Woodsy

It's Bike Week... the noise ordinance allows live music to be played outside until 12:30.

Woodsy
Reilly (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Fargo

Blasting the music miles away from the venue nine days and nights seems excessive to me especially if attendance is off and they allow people in for free. Just another example as to how poorly run and organized the rally has become.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
Woodsy

I respectfully disagree...

You cannot predict attendance. Bike Week has been here for 93 years. It was here long before anyone on this forum moved here! It is a financial boon to the State and lots of local businesses who need this week to survive. I say Rock ON!

Woodsy

PS: I live in the Weirs and can hear the music too!
AC2717 (06-14-2016), BroadHopper (06-16-2016), hazelnut (06-14-2016), hig (06-20-2016), LIforrelaxin (06-14-2016), michael (06-15-2016), Reilly (06-15-2016), SPT13 (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #15
JADAQ

I see vendor attendance is down once again this year.
Also noticed the city has decreased the motorcycle parking spaces yet once again as well, from an individual who has gone to the Weirs faithfully since 1987.
It seems the city is trying to slowly phase out the rally. Each year more and more police and less and less people. They're doing a great job if that's their plan!!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
Woodsy

I didn't notice the City had decreased the bike parking? Where? Lakeside will be closed to cars starting tomorrow or Thursday. It looks the same to me as always.

I did see a few empty vendor spots, but I think they will fill in as Americade was last weekend in Lake George NY... I also noticed the vendors to be spread way out some. The track is making a big push to be a destination... they have JP cycles and a few other big vendors as well as all of the demo rides. Laconia Harley has quite a few, and I think there is dyno guy or some sort of thing going on in Ossipee.

I don't blame the city as much as I blame the state for the decline of the rally.. They want the bikers to go ALL over the state, not just Laconia. Spread the wealth if you will. To this end they overwhelm Laconia with Statie's, looking to bust your balls... make you feel unwelcome. For example, on Sunday 6 yes six state troopers standing there waving people over right next to the entrance of Meredith bridge condos!

Woodsy
Old 06-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
Fargo

Default Weirs

Maybe the rally needs to be refreshed and re-thought. It would make more sense to move it to the track in Loudon with plenty of parking, camping and space for vendors. The track knows how to deal with large crowds and traffic. Give it the feel of a convention with more elbow room to move around and just maybe attendance would improve. Something new.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
BkrEtc

A lot quieter today. That call to the Mayor may have helped.
BkrEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #19
Woodsy

Move the rally? Good luck with that!

Today is a fairly quiet day band-wise at Laconiafest and at the Laconia Roadhouse. I checked the lineup https://laconiafest.com/events/ and the only band I knew was Jodie Cunningham. At the Roadhouse http://thelaconiaroadhouse.com/bands.html they have a great cover band called Soundtrack to Monday playing tonight.

Tuesday is usually a transition day... the first weekend people leave, while the next bunch comes in. Concertwise @ Laconiafest tomorrow is the biggie... Steve Tyler & his country band. The weather is supposed to be epic, so I would expect a HUGE crowd!

Rock on!

Woodsy
Old 06-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Maybe the rally needs to be refreshed and re-thought. It would make more sense to move it to the track in Loudon with plenty of parking, camping and space for vendors. The track knows how to deal with large crowds and traffic. Give it the feel of a convention with more elbow room to move around and just maybe attendance would improve. Something new.
It seems more is starting to happen at the track. Camping is available on site along with more vendors and a Jackyl concert after the classic race. Really cheap tickets for all the events. http://www.nhms.com/events/motorcycle_week_at_nhms/
http://www.nhms.com/media/headlines/...week-nhms.html
Old 06-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
While I feel that there will be a natural Progression, moving vendors and some events down to the track, I believe there will always be a presence and Headquarters for the rally will remain at the Weirs.

The track is somewhat Isolated, and further south then Many Riders want to be. The lake region as a whole is some of the draw... Walking on the board walk with Vendors and the Lake in close proximity is nice.

It amazes me how anti bike rally people are becoming. While I don't ride, and likely never will, I enjoy the event and the people. This is the first year in a while, I haven't ended up going by boat, and spending time wondering at the Wiers... I have met many very interesting people over the years, from Reality Show Stars (OCC), to prominent members of the Hells Angels. Everyone there just wants to enjoy themselves, and have a good time....

WHat is one week a year 9 days... 216 hours... 12960 mins.... 777600 seconds in the grand theme of things????? Not much.. let these people enjoy themselves, bring hundreds of thousands of dollars into the economy, and then leave as fast as they came, My family bought in the lakes region as did all of you knowing about Laconia Bike week, and now we think we can influence change because of a few inconveniences??????
AC2717 (06-15-2016), Gatto Nero (06-15-2016), Merrymeeting (06-15-2016), Reilly (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #22
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I didn't notice the City had decreased the bike parking? Where? Lakeside will be closed to cars starting tomorrow or Thursday. It looks the same to me as always.

I did see a few empty vendor spots, but I think they will fill in as Americade was last weekend in Lake George NY... I also noticed the vendors to be spread way out some. The track is making a big push to be a destination... they have JP cycles and a few other big vendors as well as all of the demo rides. Laconia Harley has quite a few, and I think there is dyno guy or some sort of thing going on in Ossipee.

I don't blame the city as much as I blame the state for the decline of the rally.. They want the bikers to go ALL over the state, not just Laconia. Spread the wealth if you will. To this end they overwhelm Laconia with Statie's, looking to bust your balls... make you feel unwelcome. For example, on Sunday 6 yes six state troopers standing there waving people over right next to the entrance of Meredith bridge condos!

Woodsy
Right in front of the photo tower has always been double parking, this year went to single row.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #23
HellRaZoR004

Default Laconiafest Weirs Drive In

I drove through today and it was packed. It was nice seeing everyone out and about.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #24
RUGMAN

my wife and I along with are little dog walked the boardwalk onSunday and people watched, We have a place in the weirs , don't e\see what all the fuss is about. Twice we had a local cop and a statie come up to us and very nicely tell us that dogs are not allowed this week, not a big deal they were very pleasant .Think it kind of a unique event one week out of 52 in a year.Brings in a lot of money for local merchants. I respect everyone opinions, but lets chill out and look forward to the rest of the summer on the Lake, I can't wait.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #25
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
While I feel that there will be a natural Progression, moving vendors and some events down to the track, I believe there will always be a presence and Headquarters for the rally will remain at the Weirs.

The track is somewhat Isolated, and further south then Many Riders want to be. The lake region as a whole is some of the draw... Walking on the board walk with Vendors and the Lake in close proximity is nice.

It amazes me how anti bike rally people are becoming. While I don't ride, and likely never will, I enjoy the event and the people. This is the first year in a while, I haven't ended up going by boat, and spending time wondering at the Wiers... I have met many very interesting people over the years, from Reality Show Stars (OCC), to prominent members of the Hells Angels. Everyone there just wants to enjoy themselves, and have a good time....

WHat is one week a year 9 days... 216 hours... 12960 mins.... 777600 seconds in the grand theme of things????? Not much.. let these people enjoy themselves, bring hundreds of thousands of dollars into the economy, and then leave as fast as they came, My family bought in the lakes region as did all of you knowing about Laconia Bike week, and now we think we can influence change because of a few inconveniences??????
If Laconia, and the Weirs specifically, was a nice area that bike week occupied for 10 days once a year I don't think there would be any problem. However, Bike Week resonates all year long and the Weirs is stagnate at best and in decline at worst, as a result. Yes there are some nice homes in certain parts but the overall flavor of the place is unappealing. Laconia is the least appealing town on the lake by a long shot. I'm not sure there is a solution. I simply stay away from the place.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #26
RUGMAN

seems like very slowly but surely things are changing, Meredith condos down the street, Faros,Akwa Marine some people starting to invest money in their properties, it is slow,don't know if I will last long enough, but hope to see improvement , Still has one of the best views on the lake along with a beach
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RUGMAN For This Useful Post:
laketrout (06-28-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
seems like very slowly but surely things are changing, Meredith condos down the street, Faros,Akwa Marine some people starting to invest money in their properties, it is slow,don't know if I will last long enough, but hope to see improvement , Still has one of the best views on the lake along with a beach
Agreed. While the Weirs is the least appealing lake area on Winnipesaukee (my opinion). It has by far the most potential for transformation of any community on the lake. I still can't fathom how it has been allowed to simply rot in this cycle of building economic development. I hope a leader emerges and drives the necessary change but I fear there will be another recession before anything gets rolling. I really would like to stop there once and a while but at present there is no reason to do so.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
laketrout (06-28-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #28
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Public access?

As an old timer, I remember when the public had access to the Weirs on Bike Week. Come by car, come by boat. See the bike "Beauty Contest" on the boardwalk, clubs in parade, other events. Now you can't get there except by bike, so I'm not allowed. The city makes about $40K on vendor permits, about what it costs in extra police overtime. Businesses make some extra, and there's a lot of publicity, but I don't know if the extra publicity translates to more tourism traffic through the rest of the summer. Adding police details and vendor fees is not:"managing": an event. I look at the comments around "Laconia Fest" on the Forum. City Council should hire a professional event management firm and make some money and positive publicity. As it is, it appears they break even on vendor fees and police details and the publicity to encourage people to come later in the season or off season is negligible.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
magicrobotmonkey (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
45$?? Ill stand outside the fence and listen
Better yet, raft out on the bay and listen!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
If Laconia, and the Weirs specifically, was a nice area that bike week occupied for 10 days once a year I don't think there would be any problem. However, Bike Week resonates all year long and the Weirs is stagnate at best and in decline at worst, as a result. Yes there are some nice homes in certain parts but the overall flavor of the place is unappealing. Laconia is the least appealing town on the lake by a long shot. I'm not sure there is a solution. I simply stay away from the place.
I have addressed this many times in this forum. If people want to see change in the Wiers they need to get the town and state to appeal to business owners on a level that make sense to warrant there further investment.

There are several lots that are only utilized during bike week, and along the boardwalk the business really only operate in the summer. They don't want to invest in their properties because it takes to long to recoup the cost. So what do you do?????

The State and Town need to offer incentives, in the form of Tax Breaks for certain improvements. To help owner recoup the costs of the improvements. If one of the Vacant lots that is used during bike weeks could be persuaded to put up a enclosed venue, that could be used for other events, such as craft fairs, etc. You would start to see some change.

The with the right infrastructure the Wiers could be changed for the good.. But the people, town officials, and State Officials need to want to do so, and provide incentives to land owners to develop the land with a goal in mind... Plenty of room for RV and Camper Expos, Boat shows, Craft Fairs, Carnivals, car shows etc.... And I can see these being made to work....

Unfortunately, what I keep hearing is people want the Wiers to become the next Meredith.... and that will be slow to happen, because that really isn't what the land owners and business want.................They want to be able to support Bike week, and make what they need to make their property profitable, all in one single week....

With the right visionary leading the way, that whole area could get transformed, and hold many type of similar type events.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 06-15-2016 at 11:29 AM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #31
Woodsy

JADAQ...

Went and walked the strip last night.. you are kind of right... they eliminated about 150' of parking right where the Progressive Tent/barbershop is. But right after it resumes double parking all the way to the tower.

Woodsy
Old 06-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #32
Fargo

Anyone read the front page today of the Laconia Daily Sun regarding Laconiafest attendance?

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...oniafest-empty
Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #33
Woodsy

I did read the article...

The first couple of days they had guys that would not sell out the Casino Ballroom (3000 or so capacity). The ticket prices were kinda high for no names ($45) but ultimately became free and most importantly the weather sucked as well...

Now.... tonight they have Steven Tyler! Huge name! Ya I know its his country gig, but you know he is going to throw some Aerosmith in the mix. The weather is going to be spectacular.... I suspect tonight will be off the hook!

Woodsy
LIforrelaxin (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #34
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I did read the article...

The first couple of days they had guys that would not sell out the Casino Ballroom (3000 or so capacity). The ticket prices were kinda high for no names ($45) but ultimately became free and most importantly the weather sucked as well...

Now.... tonight they have Steven Tyler! Huge name! Ya I know its his country gig, but you know he is going to throw some Aerosmith in the mix. The weather is going to be spectacular.... I suspect tonight will be off the hook!

Woodsy
Agreed--not really sure why they wrote the article other than to needle the people trying to bring something new to the area. Afterward, when it wouldn't add to the carnage, maybe, but now?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #35
Rinkerguy

Radio stations are advertising show up at Laconia Fest between 12 and 4 for FREE GENERAL ADMISSION to the concert venue. If you leave you get stamped, and admittance later continues to be FREE!!!

Tonight's concert is included

That's how they will fill the concerts for the remainder of Bike Week

Hate to be someone who shelled out $65/ticket to see Steven Tyler
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #36
Acrossamerica

Quote:
I have addressed this many times in this forum. If people want to see change in the Wiers they need to get the town and state to appeal to business owners on a level that make sense to warrant there further investment.

There are several lots that are only utilized during bike week, and along the boardwalk the business really only operate in the summer. They don't want to invest in their properties because it takes to long to recoup the cost. So what do you do?????

The State and Town need to offer incentives, in the form of Tax Breaks for certain improvements. To help owner recoup the costs of the improvements. If one of the Vacant lots that is used during bike weeks could be persuaded to put up a enclosed venue, that could be used for other events, such as craft fairs, etc. You would start to see some change.

The with the right infrastructure the Wiers could be changed for the good.. But the people, town officials, and State Officials need to want to do so, and provide incentives to land owners to develop the land with a goal in mind... Plenty of room for RV and Camper Expos, Boat shows, Craft Fairs, Carnivals, car shows etc.... And I can see these being made to work....

Unfortunately, what I keep hearing is people want the Wiers to become the next Meredith.... and that will be slow to happen, because that really isn't what the land owners and business want.................They want to be able to support Bike week, and make what they need to make their property profitable, all in one single week....

With the right visionary leading the way, that whole area could get transformed, and hold many type of similar type events.
It would be nice to have the NH state boat show held near a lake. For years it has been held in an indoor tennis arena in Milford. About as far from a decent sized lake as one can get in NH. But that is how NH does all of its tourist attractions - half as--d
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #37
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
It would be nice to have the NH state boat show held near a lake. For years it has been held in an indoor tennis arena in Milford. About as far from a decent sized lake as one can get in NH. But that is how NH does all of its tourist attractions - half as--d
Do you really think that it would make a difference if a boat show in March is held near the frozen lake instead of in Milford?

What lakes region arena would you like it to be held in, and what difference or positive impact would the change in location have?
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #38
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
The boat show is a private event, it has nothing to do with the state, and is certainly not a "tourist attraction".
upthesaukee (06-15-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Heard some clips from last night's Steven Tyler performance, and he sounded pretty good. Anyone go?

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #40
Fargo

Didn't have to go to Laconiafest, can hear it blaring at our house.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #41
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Bike week

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
The boat show is a private event, it has nothing to do with the state, and is certainly not a "tourist attraction".
Wrong thread. The boat show has nothing to do with tourists or motorcycles.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #42
Fargo

Default Escrow not paid

The more I read the Laconia Daily Sun about Laconiafest the more bent out of shape I get. Today's paper states that Laconiafest was to pay $309,830 in escrow by May 31. It was never paid yet Laconia allowed the event. Just another example as to how poorly organized the rally has become. Move the event to the Speedway and let the professionals run this event. Make Weirs Beach great again!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #43
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
The more I read the Laconia Daily Sun about Laconiafest the more bent out of shape I get. Today's paper states that Laconiafest was to pay $309,830 in escrow by May 31. It was never paid yet Laconia allowed the event. Just another example as to how poorly organized the rally has become. Move the event to the Speedway and let the professionals run this event. Make Weirs Beach great again!
Could you provide a link to this article? I do not see it......

I am guessing that this was to pay for Police Details?

Don't blame the over all Rally however for the failures of the Planning of Laconia Fest.

Over all trying to operate a Concert Venue through the week, is a poor idea... while this idea has worked in places like Sturgis, it doesn't appear to have worked well for Laconia bike week.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #44
Rusty

Quote:
Could you provide a link to this article? I do not see it......

I am guessing that this was to pay for Police Details?
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...fest-continues
diz (06-18-2016), Fargo (06-17-2016), LIforrelaxin (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #45
Mr. V

So then, it sounds like Bike Week and its companion, Laconiafest, were an epic fail?

Not good, not good at all.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #46
LIforrelaxin

Rusty thanks for posting the link to the Article....

Indeed this was about the Police and Fire costs...

No over the weekend they are billing LaconiaFest 313 hours ... figure 12 hours on Saturday, and 12 on Sunday... 24 hours total ..... that is a total of ~13 officers.....

Ok I can some what believe that but given the fact that the rest of bike week is going on around LaconiaFest, I am thinking that 13 officers weren't brought in just for this event....half of them likely would have been deployed regardless.... this is just my opinion.....

The bottom line is Laconia, should have pulled the license if the money was not in escrow... the idea here is that Laconia wouldn't have taken the money but drawn from it as the week went on.... to pay for the details...

Don't be mad just at the promoter... Be mad at your city officials, for not sticking to their guns....
Old 06-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #47
Winnisquamer

Only 13 police? Feel like I saw more than that on the stretch from Tilton diner to downtown Laconia alone. Unless that figure is considering ONLY Laconia PD
Old 06-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #48
Fargo

Default 93 Years

Rally officials have 93 years under their belt to make this event great. Each year gets worse, low attendance, low vendor participation, low sponsorship and low revenue. Reinvent the rally and move it to the Speedway with professional event planners. The event has had a financial strangle hold on the Weirs for 40 years! Make Weirs Great Again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (06-19-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #49
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Wmur

WMUR had just reported Laconiafest will likely end tonight after Ted Nuggent due to the on going dispute between the promoters and the city over staffing of police enforcement. 7 bands including tomorrow's headliners have already cancelled.
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #50
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
WMUR had just reported Laconiafest will likely end tonight after Ted Nuggent due to the on going dispute between the promoters and the city over staffing of police enforcement. 7 bands including tomorrow's headliners have already cancelled.
The article says the managers/producers of the festival left Thursday! How crazy is that?!

Old 06-18-2016, 02:54 AM   #51
Patiently Watching

Sounds like the city really dropped the ball letting the event continue after the missed deadline to meet the contract obligations.
Adding to the problem, it would appear the organizers of the event are certainly amateurs.
Bike week and the weirs are spinning down the drain.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #52
Fargo

Default Win Win

Reading the paper today appears Laconia tax payers may need to step up to the plate to cover costs. Not to worry because my property taxes went up this year so we should be ok. The Rally is a win win for all involved... said no one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #53
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Reading the paper today appears Laconia tax payers may need to step up to the plate to cover costs. Not to worry because my property taxes went up this year so we should be ok. The Rally is a win win for all involved... said no one.
Sit tight, because your property taxes will be going up again next year!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #54
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Seems like an awful of of police presence for dwindling numbers of mostly over 50 bikers.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #55
HellRaZoR004

You guys sure like drama.

On the Gilford/Patrick's side of the lake it has been non-stop bikes. They may not be showing up for the so called Laconiafest, but they are out and about.

And unfortunately there was a fatality yesterday that closed the bypass.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #56
Scott's Yott

Sounds to me like the city officials of Laconia are trying to screw the promoters over just as the Loudon Police do to the race track. Charging exorbonate prices for way too many police....Shame on Laconia City Council
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott's Yott For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #57
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
You guys sure like drama.

On the Gilford/Patrick's side of the lake it has been non-stop bikes. They may not be showing up for the so called Laconiafest, but they are out and about.

And unfortunately there was a fatality yesterday that closed the bypass.
Bar hoppers...no drama...this year should mark the beginning of the end of a dying bike week.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #58
Fargo

Fortunately didn't hear any music blasting our way last night. Laconia needs to encourage the development of all the vacant lots now only used nine days for parking and vendor permits. You need a healthy tax base to prosper, vendor permits just won't make it happen. Move the vendors to Loudon and stop the decline of Weirs!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #59
TiltonBB

Quote:
Fortunately didn't hear any music blasting our way last night. Laconia needs to encourage the development of all the vacant lots now only used nine days for parking and vendor permits. You need a healthy tax base to prosper, vendor permits just won't make it happen. Move the vendors to Loudon and stop the decline of Weirs!
okay, we get it. You don't like Bike Week. would you have been happier if the bands were playing Lawrence Welk music?
Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #60
Tank151

Quote:
We live a mile away from the Weirs and the music was so loud I thought my neighbor was playing the music. That lasted until midnight. Was anyone else bothered by this or am I just getting old and sour?
I live a mile (less) from the Weirs and didn't hear a thing! Apparently another motorcycle hater!

Wait till the $$$ leave!!! All the local businesses will go too! Bike week and NASCAR are their Christmas season...
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #61
Fargo

Now BB, you're just being silly. No one wants to hear Lawrence Welk blasting music out over the lake 12 hours a day for nine days straight, it would just keep the crowds away. You've given me a thought...
Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #62
dave603

Default Dumb idea in the first place

Good idea, but wrong timing
Do it a separate weekend from bike week.
Bring the bands in around the 4th, do it then and attract the different crowds in.
The bikers are not there for "bands", they are there for other bikers.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #63
LongshotLombard

My friends and I went down on Sunday and had a good time. Just saying.
LongshotLombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #64
Mr. V

Do they still have the hill climb at Gunstock during bike week?

If not, why not?

That looked cool (youtube) and drew a good crowd.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #65
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Do they still have the hill climb at Gunstock during bike week?

If not, why not?

That looked cool (youtube) and drew a good crowd.
No it is not.

It is now located in Canaan NH and had been for several years.
I heard it isn't as good of track as Gunstock, not as much action.
They also don't allow any alcohol as Gunstock did... Not that it was a good thing to get hammered all day then take off into the sunset on a bike!