Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Rattletrap

Default Is it me or are people crazy? Or just stupid?

Over the last few weekends boating on the lake, I've been horrified to see some of the place people choose to pull their kids on tubes! Last weekend we saw a few boats pulling small children on tubes through the choke point near FL44 REALLY? Is it me? Or is this just flat out crazy? There is no way this is a safe practice. I cringe at some of the place I see people doing this?

Rant complete !
Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

Just a guess... I bet most of those boaters were tourists or first timers to the area. It is certainly understand that at 1st timer would not fully understand the magnitude of this particular lake. It is massive.

This makes me wonder... do the local rental companies even warn about or suggest area's for tubing/skiing/rafting? Or even warn of the dangers?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
Over the last few weekends boating on the lake, I've been horrified to see some of the place people choose to pull their kids on tubes! Last weekend we saw a few boats pulling small children on tubes through the choke point near FL44 REALLY? Is it me? Or is this just flat out crazy? There is no way this is a safe practice. I cringe at some of the place I see people doing this?

Rant complete !
Two things: 1. You're too new to boating be cynical--try to hold on to the dream for a bit! 2. Like driving, where EVERYONE tailgates and many drive like idiots, I just take my time and let people do their thing. It's taken me time to get here, but it's much more enjoyable. Cheers!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (07-07-2016), Reilly (07-27-2016), robmac (07-28-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You're too new to boating be cynical--
LMAO

I think he just called Rattletrap a ROOKIE !!

(which of course he is -- all due respect)

OH crud -- just noticed I crossed over 1200 posts -- gotta get a life !
Old 07-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Rattletrap

Default Lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
LMAO

I think he just called Rattletrap a ROOKIE !!

(which of course he is -- all due respect)

How many seasons is it going to take till I'm at least a "Junior"
Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:

Rant complete !
You got it right...people are stupid...period.
I have testimony too numerous to list on antics of gross stupidity and this is just at the launch ramps!!
I'll be on a valet or slip list very soon...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default No longer a "Junior"?

Quote:
Usually I don't like stolen threads, but since Rattletrap changed the question I think it's OK.
Let's help Rattletrap with some answers to the question "When am I'm at least a Junior?" Not too snide now. For example,

You get promoted when:

You start sneaking out of work Wednesday noon for the week end and you're not calling it "vacation days".

Last edited by Descant; 07-07-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Error matching response to words in quote
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
4Fun

Quote:
Your already one step toward promotion knowing there is a choke point at FL44. Most "rookies" just drive over the rocks inside the markers.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Rattletrap

Default Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Usually I don't like stolen threads, but since Rattletrap changed the question I think it's OK.
Let's help Rattletrap with some answers to the question "When am I'm at least a Junior?" Not too snide now. For example,

You get promoted when:

You start sneaking out of work Wednesday noon for the week end and you're not calling it "vacation days".
Was there a similar thread on this?

vacation days? HELL NO!! That's what "sick days" are for............
Old 07-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Your already one step toward promotion knowing there is a choke point at FL44. Most "rookies" just drive over the rocks inside the markers.
4Fun -- On a normal day I would TOTALLY agree with you, however me thinks Rattletrap simply had his "Head Down" and was simply following where ever his GPS told him to go ( see one of his original 10 threads on "How to Boat on Winni" -- one was GPS's).

So in the end --- still a "Rookie" till he shuts the GPS off and makes it all around by chart & compass.

:

Double Crud - post #1203....... Definitely need a new hobby
Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
noreast

Not only stupid, just plain asses. I lost count off how many cabin cruisers passed at 50 to 80 ft at 40mph. I just wave and say thank you. Like Bmers and Volkswagons have the reputation on the road, I'm starting to see a pattern with boats.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
Formula260SS

Default You know your not a rookie when.......

Quote:
You avoid the town docks like the plague on the weekends
You've had dinner at Mama Lucy's
You've witnessed at least one boat sink to the bottom of the lake
Your boat does not have GPS
You leave the office and just go to the lake randomly without telling anyone

Feel free to add to the list.........
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-07-2016), Descant (07-07-2016), Misha888 (07-31-2016), Phantom (07-07-2016), robmac (07-28-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
Descant

Quote:
4Fun -

So in the end --- still a "Rookie" till he shuts the GPS off and makes it all around by chart & compass.

:

Double Crud - post #1203....... Definitely need a new hobby
I can sense #1204 coming.

You make "Tactical Navigator" when the chart is obliterated by coffee stains and you grab a clean sheet of paper, draw a new one from memory, hand it to the helmsman and go below to refill your coffee mug.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
Rattletrap

Default Phantom

Quote:
4Fun -- On a normal day I would TOTALLY agree with you, however me thinks Rattletrap simply had his "Head Down" and was simply following where ever his GPS told him to go ( see one of his original 10 threads on "How to Boat on Winni" -- one was GPS's).

:

Well I hate to disappoint you Phantom but.....I can honestly say the GPS on the Day Tripper is now only, and I mean only, used as a map (because it's more convenient) and compass. The Auto Guidance is no longer used I'm proud to say. This would have been evident to you had you made the trip with me from Saunders Bay to Alton Bay to 52 at the tip of Moultonborough Bay. (through the Graveyard I might add so I can say I've done it) And should I do loose the GPS as a map and a compass, the Day Tripper is also outfitted with a regular compass and my trusted maps for back up. Now that I've made a point to cover almost every part of the lake, I think I could in a pinch find my way around using just some Island land marks and the compass.

But even though I know you can't resist busting my rookie chops, I forgive you
jeffatsquam (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
outlawfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Not only stupid, just plain asses. I lost count off how many cabin cruisers passed at 50 to 80 ft at 40mph. I just wave and say thank you. Like Bmers and Volkswagons have the reputation on the road, I'm starting to see a pattern with boats.
You should always use caution but the 150' rule is a joke. Try going thru Boston harbour, they get 20' from you.
outlawfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
Descant

Default NH only

The 150' rule is a law only in NH. Not Boston Harbor or anyplace else, as far as boat to boat passage is concerned.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
noreast

I know. If there's no room or getting pinched by others it's expected, But generally there's no effort. They know they throw a big ass wake. Just as I stay clear of smaller vessels, It's just courteous, which I really don't expect.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Just a guess... I bet most of those boaters were tourists or first timers to the area. It is certainly understand that at 1st timer would not fully understand the magnitude of this particular lake. It is massive.

This makes me wonder... do the local rental companies even warn about or suggest area's for tubing/skiing/rafting? Or even warn of the dangers?
My wife and I rented a boat from Winnisquam Marine last week. I've never been on Winnisquam and wanted to check it out for an afternoon boat ride. I was shown where everything was in the boat, told not to go to the far south bay, and off we went. I did ask for a map but I assume one would have been offered anyway. We weren't tubing or anything, so that won't really apply with my comment. I asked the dock staff how many first time boat drivers want to go for the first time ever on their boats and he said a lot. Imagine a first timer trying to figure out Winni.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (07-09-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default You are a rookie when

You launch your boat. A number of people are trying to launch their boat yet you hold the launch ramp up by getting the water tube in the water and putting the kids in. Then proceed to plane away from the launch ramp with kids in tow.

You decide to tow the tube with kids in tow through, Weirs Channel, Eagle Island no wake zone, Governors Island bridge, Sally's Gut, Long Island bridge, Hole in the wall, any and all no wake zones with heavy traffic.

You launch your boat at Irwin Marine. You leave the launch at planning speed and continue on the wrong side of the buoy and leave you outdrive in the rocks.

I can go on. I've seen them all!

And one wonders why I don't enjoy the weekends on the lake. I don't!
GodSmile (07-08-2016), Just Sold (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #20
JPC

Default Is it me or are people crazy? Or just stupid?

My dock mate was coming into Smith Cove (Fays Boat Yard) following a bowrider that was pulling a tube with two kids on it. The kids fell off mid channel, the bowrider stopped and traffic in both directions came to a stop. Talk about stupid!
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #21
Phantom

Quote:
You get promoted when:

PERFECT Call Descant !!

Oh it's noon, I'm late ...... off to the Lake !

>
Old 07-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #22
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

You are a rookie when

You launch your boat at Irwin Marine. You leave the launch at planning speed and continue on the wrong side of the buoy and leave you outdrive in the rocks.
Hahaha, It's not funny... but it is.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #23
JADAQ

Stupid is; when I was pumping gas at a dock on the lake back in the 80's and some out of stater asks me " when does the tide go out"
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #24
Vivalie

Default My husband is one of those idiots!!!!

My husband and I are new to the Lake, we have a place on Mirror Lake but in September we upgraded to the big lake. The first thing I did was get a Bizer map, the 2nd thing I did was call a friend to have us give us a lesson in boating. Well my husband is now an "expert of the lake" he has never even looked at or read the Bizer. Yesterday we went out on a boat trip and I almost jumped out in fear for my life!!!! We live in Ambrose Cove and I have down to Wolfeboro down pretty good but follow the map like a BIBLE!!!

He's driving and he says to me "Ohhh I learned that you can go on either side of these buoys, I saw a bunch of huge boats doing it yesterday" Than we are coming up on some sailboats and I warn him they may have the right away if under sail so watch out... he barks "well how the hell am I supposed to get by???" Another point when I tell him to slow down so I can find look for a marker he says you cant just slow down!!!

At this point I start screaming at him about what an idiot he is and he should have taken the proper boating exam and actually learn about the lake. I try to explain the markers and South/West .. North East and it's just not making sense to him because he "saw other huge boats doing it" I said bring me back to shore you are a danger to others!!!

I love him dearly but some people have no interest in actually studying a map, they think they will learn while doing, that's a great idea but not on a lake with a piece of machine that could kill or harm others.
Vivalie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vivalie For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-10-2016), jeffk (07-10-2016), motionxxusxx (07-12-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #25
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalie View Post
My husband and I are new to the Lake, we have a place on Mirror Lake but in September we upgraded to the big lake. The first thing I did was get a Bizer map, the 2nd thing I did was call a friend to have us give us a lesson in boating. Well my husband is now an "expert of the lake" he has never even looked at or read the Bizer. Yesterday we went out on a boat trip and I almost jumped out in fear for my life!!!! We live in Ambrose Cove and I have down to Wolfeboro down pretty good but follow the map like a BIBLE!!!

He's driving and he says to me "Ohhh I learned that you can go on either side of these buoys, I saw a bunch of huge boats doing it yesterday" Than we are coming up on some sailboats and I warn him they may have the right away if under sail so watch out... he barks "well how the hell am I supposed to get by???" Another point when I tell him to slow down so I can find look for a marker he says you cant just slow down!!!

At this point I start screaming at him about what an idiot he is and he should have taken the proper boating exam and actually learn about the lake. I try to explain the markers and South/West .. North East and it's just not making sense to him because he "saw other huge boats doing it" I said bring me back to shore you are a danger to others!!!

I love him dearly but some people have no interest in actually studying a map, they think they will learn while doing, that's a great idea but not on a lake with a piece of machine that could kill or harm others.
Yikes! That does not sound good. There are plenty of people that take markers wrong and luck out. If you don't know, follow your chart,not others.

I boat out of Ambrose Cove and would be glad to give some pointers about the markers up here, if he would take them.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #26
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:

I thought this post was going to explain the capsized boat in Ambrose Cove yesterday.

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
Rich

He'll do fine, until he hits a rock or has another issue. I hope his insurance is paid up.

You cant reason with people that think they are always right.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #28
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I thought this post was going to explain the capsized boat in Ambrose Cove yesterday.

LOL....me too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
bostique (07-27-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #30
Vivalie

Default Lol caddy shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Omg I can't stop laughing at the caddy shack video!! Thas definitely him lol again great guy great father but not a good captain... yet!! He still has some learning. At least one of us on the boat knows what we're doing!!!
Vivalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #31
jeffk

Quote:
.. it's just not making sense to him because he "saw other huge boats doing it" ...
One of the dumbest things to do is boat like others do. A large number of them are clueless. Most of the time they luck out and get away with their foolish behavior. Then their luck runs out and they wreck their boat and/or someone else's boat or seriously hurt someone else or themselves. Then the whining and moaning starts.

I'm not saying you have to follow the rules perfectly but you need to be educated, observant, and sensitive to the situation you are in.

I hope I never "run into" your husband.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #32
Grove84

Thumbs up Responsible Navigation

When we purchased our first boat in 2000, I started of slow, I learned how to navigate the lake using the map and compass, why , the senior members of this forum recommended it. I learned never follow the boat in front of me as they may not have learned the map or the lake properly. I am now on the lake 15 years and while I am older and the boat is bigger with GPS. I still use those principles . I focused on learning one section of the lake at a time and the more I learned the more I wanted to learn about the navigational challenges and history of the big lake. The advice I learned from this site and its members have helped me a great deal, it all started with can you help me learn or understand x? We all have made our mistakes on this great
Lake but it's the learning that comes from it. The most important lessons for me is the responsibility you have as a boat captain for the people you leave the marina with and bring back , safely. Safety first , yes the boaters
Class is one of those building blocks
And one my 20 year old daughter is about to attend so she learns like her dad. Thanks to all on this forum who have helped
me learn over the past 15 years
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grove84 For This Useful Post:
CateP (07-10-2016), noreast (07-10-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #33
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
The 150' rule is a law only in NH. Not Boston Harbor or anyplace else, as far as boat to boat passage is concerned.
I agree. The transition to boating in Florida is a shock every year. Going along at about 20 MPH and another boat passes within 15 feet and their wake really throws your boat around. At first I want to yell or retaliate in some way but the other boat has no idea that they did anything wrong. I don't think it is a violation of law but it certainly is not showing common courtesy.

Many boaters just look ahead and do not see what is beside them or the effect their wake has on other boats. I think the laws in NH have made most of us (at least those of us that follow them) more aware of safety and better boaters.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-11-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #34
ApS

Exclamation We're Big, So They Can't Miss Us...

We're missing navigation lights on our little motorboat, but there's still light after sundown, so we'll just tow this water-toy slide over to the next customer:
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #35
hapeboatr

Quote:

I have the opposite problem! I've been boating on the lake for over twenty years. When my wife and I are out on the lake she is always trying to get me to go in between islands and poke into areas are probably passable, but not deep enough or clearly marked so that I am comfortable. When I refuse, she says "well there is another boat in there" or something like that. I just refuse and let her deal with my inadequacies!
hapeboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #36
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapeboatr View Post
I have the opposite problem! I've been boating on the lake for over twenty years. When my wife and I are out on the lake she is always trying to get me to go in between islands and poke into areas are probably passable, but not deep enough or clearly marked so that I am comfortable. When I refuse, she says "well there is another boat in there" or something like that. I just refuse and let her deal with my inadequacies!

Go for it, let her pay for and fix the mistakes when one is made. I don't think shell hassle you to do it again
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #37
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Go for it, let her pay for and fix the mistakes when one is made. I don't think shell hassle you to do it again
BUT...it is always YOUR fault.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #38
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapeboatr View Post

Buy a PWC to explore. Nothing beats a JetSki to explore rocky areas safely.

You can finally see whats on the other side of that marker.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-26-2016), ApS (07-27-2016), jeffk (07-27-2016), Phantom (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #39
GTO

Default happened this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Going through the graveyard, (you know how tight that is) we were passed by a very large cabin cruiser going in the opposite direction. He was going top speed and never let off the throttle as he passed us as we thru our arms up in the air. But capt bonehead must of thought he was in the right as he flipped us off....seriously?
Hillcountry (07-27-2016), thinkxingu (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #40
The Real BigGuy

Talking Lake Boating

Einstein must have been boating on Winnipesaukee when he said, "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe & human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe!
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #41
kawishiwi

Default Amazing what you will see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Buy a PWC to explore. Nothing beats a JetSki to explore rocky areas safely.

You can finally see whats on the other side of that marker.
As a bass fisher with a trolling motor I spend a lot of time on the other side of the markers and its a minefield in there. Sure, there can be big gaps between rocks but between the gaps there be 'dragons'.
Sadly one of my first runs through a large buoyed area showed a boulder or rock every hundred yards or so with underwater boulders with spalled off tops. The really fresh ones standout as much lighter than the rest of the rock. Also, some markers mark one lonely rock, others mark acres of 'dragons'.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote