Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
RLW

Smile Registering vehicles

I went to the Alton Town Hall today to register 2 vehicles and almost had to have the EMT's come and help me off the floor. The town portion ONLY for a 08 pickup truck and a 09 Malibu Chev was, now hold onto your hats, $547.00. Back in MA the truck with a veterans plate costs me $85 for 2 years. I went and checked on insurance at 3 locations and the lowest was only $77 less than MA. I know in the following years it will be less money as this being the first time I have to pay for ANOTHER title as my MA one isn't good enough for the politicians as they need that fee $'s to keep the state going.
Please do take this as a complaint but just general conversation as to how fees are made up. I hate tomorrow when I have to go to Concord and pay the state portion of the bill as I'm getting another (2) veteran plates. I'm betting the total bill will be close to $900. Any bets??? Oh ya, I forgot we need to get 2 new licenses which we just got 2 months ago in MA. I think licenses should be universal for all states.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

How much was the Mass excise tax on your vehicles?

Here the town portion of the registration fee is based on vehicle value but I think that the rate is lower than the Mass excise tax. The state portion of NH registrations is normally less than the town part.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

Also, don't forget that (if you hadn't paid it already), there would be no sales tax when you buy the car either.

I understand the shock as I just went through it also. But as the other post noted, it's really just a different way of collecting the sales and excise taxes.

For many years, I lived in MA, and my brother lived in NH. We often compared total taxes and fees at the end of the year. Despite the respective reputations, when all was said and done, the two states were not that far from each other.

I hope this doesn't start yet another long thread on taxation. Anyone with an interest in that debate can search the forum and find all the positions, from almost every angle, that have been stated already.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
fpartri497

no one ever said living In N.H. Is cheap

Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
How much was the Mass excise tax on your vehicles?

Here the town portion of the registration fee is based on vehicle value but I think that the rate is lower than the Mass excise tax. The state portion of NH registrations is normally less than the town part.
Slickcraft is correct. The Town of Alton's portion of your overall registration fee is similar to the "excise tax" you paid to your town or city in MA. Also, similar to the MA excise tax, it is tax-deductible on your Federal income tax return. I don't know what "vanity" license plates cost in NH (in my opinion they should be free for veterans), but the NH portion of your registration fee will likely be significantly less than the fee you paid to the Town of Alton.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
Winnisquamguy

The towns also use the GVW of the vehicle...the state part will be under $150.00. It cost me over $1200 for my Cadillac Esclade in Sanbornton.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
CateP

Default Get and Estimate of Your Car Registration Cost

I went to this site to find out what it would cost to register my car in Wolfeboro.

http://www.ereg.us/

Enter the town name from the drop down menu and click the "Register My Car" button. When you get to the next page there is an "Get and Estimate " button. You have to fill in some info and there is help right there online to get the weight of your car and retail estimate (looks high to me).

$299 Wolfeboro $65.60 State (new license plate ,no vanity plate)
$299 Wolfeboro $118.93 State (new license plate, vanity plate)
It's less when I renew or if I get a "Moose" plate"

Hope this helps those looking for an estimate.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Rolie

Default Car registration

I have a V plate (veteran). Somehow, I'd think that a vet would get a break on a car reg. No such deal in NH...even a V plate comes at a premium.
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
martbri7

My 2011 registration had a surcharge of extra $30, was this a State thing or a Town thing?
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

RLW, remember one thing you can go back to your town in Massachusetts and get a rebate on the excise tax you paid this year....
Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
RLW

Post Final total for 2 days of registering

OK here is the told summery for 2 days work registering 2 vehicles that were listed in thread number 1. I want everyone to know that this person is not complaining as I chose to move to NH but I'm just stating facts of what it cost him for the complete operation.
Town: $547.00
State: $277.46
State for 2 licenses: $100.00
Ins: $978.37
and 2 inspection stickers: $80.00
I believe that all adds up to $1972.83 for 2 days work registering 2 vehicles for 13 months. That is one hell of a chuck of money out of ones S.S..

I know there is a rebate in MA for the excise tax, but it is so dam low I wonder if it is worth all the hassle one has to go through to get it.
it could be alot worse....

Last edited by RLW; 10-26-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: corrected the cost of the stickers from 60 to 80
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I went to this site to find out what it would cost to register my car in Wolfeboro.

http://www.ereg.us/

Enter the town name from the drop down menu and click the "Register My Car" button. When you get to the next page there is an "Get and Estimate " button. You have to fill in some info and there is help right there online to get the weight of your car and retail estimate (looks high to me).

$299 Wolfeboro $65.60 State (new license plate ,no vanity plate)
$299 Wolfeboro $118.93 State (new license plate, vanity plate)
It's less when I renew or if I get a "Moose" plate"

Hope this helps those looking for an estimate.
Thanks Cate. Great info. Just got estimates for the wife's car and my truck. A 2004 Camry Solara Convertible and a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 liter. I can't wait to move up to NH. Rather inexpensive compared to Mass excise tax which is as follows:

An excise at the rate of $25 per one thousand dollars of valuation (effective 1/1/81) is levied on each motor vehicle. Information on the value of a motor vehicle is accessed electronically through a data bank complete with valuation figures. Different sources provide the valuation figures depending upon whether the motor vehicle is an automobile, a truck, a motorcycle, or a trailer. For example, automobile valuations are derived from figures published in the National Automobile Dealers Association Official Used Car Guide (NADA), to which the Registry has electronic access. Most public libraries have copies of NADA and other motor vehicle official guides.
Figures are the manufacturers’ list prices for vehicles in their year of manufacture. Present market value, price paid, or condition are not considered for excise tax purposes. The excise tax law (M.G.L. c.60A, s.1) establishes its own formula for valuation for state tax purposes whereby only the manufacturer’s list price and the age of the motor vehicle are considered. The formula is as follows:

In the year preceding the model year
(brand new car released before model year)
50%
In the model year
90%
In the second year
60%
In the third year
40%
In the fourth year
25%
In the fifth and succeeding years
10%

Every motor vehicle owner must pay an excise tax based on valuation of at least ten percent of the manufacturer’s list price; thus, owners of vehicles older than five years should have a fixed excise tax bill for succeeding years of ownership. Even though an owner may have applied for an abatement that may reduce an excise tax bill, no excise shall be less than $5.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
RailroadJoe

Last I heard it doesn't cost any extra for a vets plate. It was about $35. when I got them a few years ago, but Gov Lynch had it changed to zero. You still have to pay for registration.

Good luck and, yah, it shocks me when I register my car.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
Wolfeboro_Baja

How do you spell TAX in New Hampshire?? F E E!!!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
I can't wait to move up to NH.
C'mon Toad move on up to the 'berry... Moultonberry that is
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #16
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
C'mon Toad move on up to the 'berry... Moultonberry that is
I'm trying...I'm really trying. There is a good possibility on one that we looked at in Meredith last Thursday though. It ain't Moultonberry....but it ain't bad either.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
NBR

Ah yes. New Hampshire where the taxes are low but where the fees make up the difference.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote