Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
jennygum

Default boating etiquette?

For all the boaters out there - what is your opinion of boating etiquette when driving under a low narrow bridge during heavy boat traffic, specifically, the Governor's Island bridge? Alternating boats or groups of boats?
jennygum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Kamper

I prefer alternating as the fairest way, unless there is an appreciable gap between boats on one side.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
travaler18

Default doin it for years

far as i can remember ,we always alternated one side to the other
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
caloway

Default alternating

I prefer alternating, but recently it's been a two lane with the person coming at you still throwing a wake.

Not really sure how it's so hard to read the sign.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
knowit

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
I prefer alternating, but recently it's been a two lane with the person coming at you still throwing a wake.

Not really sure how it's so hard to read the sign.
Because over at Bonehead University the class "Reading signs and aids to navigation 101" was cut due to budget restriants. They actually substituted making wake 101 for this class, but it was only an elective.

PS One at a time alternating. If challenged, back down and wait. The only smart thing to do. Same thing when exiting Sally's gut on the north side.
knowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
jennygum

Thanks for your input. Today at the Governor's Island bridge there were about 20 boats on each side of the bridge and about four boats from one side would go through until, it seemed, someone on the other side thought there was a large enough space to get through and then everyone on that side would follow. My father and I were curious about the "etiquette" when there is that much traffic because it seems like it would take a long time to alternate boats with that many waiting to get through but it does seem to make the most sense. It is helpful to hear everyone's opinions.
jennygum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
NHskier

I've seen it occur both ways but prefer to alternate as the fairest method.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
jrc

We used to always go through side by side there is plenty of room for two boats.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
We used to always go through side by side there is plenty of room for two boats.
Are you sure you're thinking of Governor's Island? Two boats, even going in the same direction, leaves little margin for error. Next time you do this try looking over the side. The edges are jagged rock walls.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default it is tourist season!

First why would you not turn around before getting there if you saw that much of a backup and only one-way traffic possible under the bridge?
I find it easier and less frustrating to just go around the island unless it is during off peak times. Usually this is before 10am and after 6pm.
We find that mid morning and just before dinner time are the worst times in heavy traffic areas because everyone is in a big rush to get where they want to go, at the same time, and pay little attention to rules.
Remember it is tourist season, a time when there are all sorts of people out boating. Many have little or no knowledge of proper boating or even rules to boat by.
Example
We were driving up Paugus bay Saturday morning around 7:30 on our way to the job site on Rattlesnake Island. Paugus bay was empty of all but a couple of ski boats and a few fishing boats.
We were beyond Christmas Island staying far right just off the mooring fields heading for the channel.
A ski boat makes a turn and comes at me forcing me to either cut power or turn out which I did. As they passed my son noticed there was no spotter on the boat only the female driver towing the male skier.
What I should have done is stay the course slow down to headway and leave a monster wake for the skier to navigate over. Next time I will.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Alternating Takes Much longer

When you alternate, although it seems like the polite thing to do, it takes much longer for the same amount of boats to go under the bridge. That is what causes longer back ups. Each boat must wait for the boat in the opposite direction to not only go under the bridge but also get out of the way after they have come under the bridge.

Also it is pretty clear what is happening when a line of 3,4 or 5 boats is going through. It eliminates two people in boats on opposite sides of the bridge wasting time waving their arms. You go, no you go, no you go, no you go!

It is much more efficient for several boats to go through in one direction, and then several boats go through in the opposite direction.

Since there is no rule regarding this, why not do it in the most time and fuel efficient manner?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Newbiesaukee

You are correct, it is the most logical and efficient. Similar to construction causing one lane closed on the roads but here there is someone directing traffic. Human nature is not always logical and efficient. How do you communicate this to other boaters, how many boats should go through at a time,etc. Cumbersome as it is, alternating probably works best in the real world most of the time.
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Are you sure you're thinking of Governor's Island? Two boats, even going in the same direction, leaves little margin for error. Next time you do this try looking over the side. The edges are jagged rock walls.
I'm just saying what we used to do. There was always a stream of boats in each direction under the bridge. Yes, it looks tight in there but there is a lot of room.

You really can't do this if the oncoming boat is in the middle. So when I find myself in line to go under the bridge, I wait my turn like everyone else.

I think one by one is slower but more than one at a time will get you an earful once in awhile.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I'm just saying what we used to do. ... Yes, it looks tight in there but there is a lot of room. ...
I guess we all have different comfort levels.

What I use as a guide is the number of "green lights" under the lake's bridges. Almost all of them have ust the one green light and I have been interpreting that as indicating the channel is suitable for one boat at a time to pass. I've never seen that published anywhere though. It's just the way I've interpreted them.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
You are correct, it is the most logical and efficient. Similar to construction causing one lane closed on the roads but here there is someone directing traffic. Human nature is not always logical and efficient. How do you communicate this to other boaters, how many boats should go through at a time,etc. Cumbersome as it is, alternating probably works best in the real world most of the time.
I agree 100% with the statement above.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I guess we all have different comfort levels.

What I use as a guide is the number of "green lights" under the lake's bridges. Almost all of them have ust the one green light and I have been interpreting that as indicating the channel is suitable for one boat at a time to pass. I've never seen that published anywhere though. It's just the way I've interpreted them.
The green light marks the center of the navigable chanel. If there is more than one channel then three verticle white lights mark the preferred route. That's the way it works out in the world anyway.

Who's responsible here for maintaining the bridge lights? MP? And no I don't want to know how many MPs it takes to change a light bulb.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
travaler18

Default no rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
First why would you not turn around before getting there if you saw that much of a backup and only one-way traffic possible under the bridge?
Whats the rush ? We are on our boats enjoying the lake .Sit back and enjoy the ride .Putting at no wake speed lets you relax a little and talk about the boneheads in front not letting anyone through.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travaler18 View Post
Whats the rush ? We are on our boats enjoying the lake .Sit back and enjoy the ride .Putting at no wake speed lets you relax a little and talk about the boneheads in front not letting anyone through.
Some days it is just too hot to sit in a "No Wake" zone because people can't figure out how to go under a bridge.

Just so you know, not everyone on the lake is on vacation. Some of us who live on the lake use the boat to go to appointments, meet business people and conduct business. Realtors often show property to potential buyers by boat. The marinas pick up and deliver boats and have employees on the water every day.

Sometimes time is money.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
OFD232

When all else fails unlimber Deck Gun and CHARGE
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
travaler18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Some days it is just too hot to sit in a "No Wake" zone because people can't figure out how to go under a bridge.

Just so you know, not everyone on the lake is on vacation. Some of us who live on the lake use the boat to go to appointments, meet business people and conduct business. Realtors often show property to potential buyers by boat. The marinas pick up and deliver boats and have employees on the water every day.

Sometimes time is money.
You are absolutly right, some people are time pressed. I guess if I were in that situation I would refer to Belmont Residents solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident
First why would you not turn around before getting there if you saw that much of a backup and only one-way traffic possible under the bridge
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #21
HUH

Default Plenty of room

Plenty of room for two way traffic under GI bridge but to those who are inexperienced its a challenge to go through single file
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
sa meredith

Default Strongly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Plenty of room for two way traffic under GI bridge but to those who are inexperienced its a challenge to go through single file
I would never go under the GI bridge side by side a boat coming at me. Stricly a "one at a time" bridge.
Check the lake level next time you pass thru.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default boating etiquette?

boating etiquette Would this term qualify as an oxymoron?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #24
Airwaves

When I go through the GI Bridge (UNLIGHTED the last time I went through and most of this summer!) and there are boats on the other side I wait until there is a reasonable gap.

A judgement call, yes, but one that has worked for me for decades! I live on one side of the bridge and a friend lives on the other so while I sometimes go around the island usually I go under the bridge.

Going under the bridge beem to beem AT HEADWAY SPEED is nuts unless you are talking PWCs!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
When I go through the GI Bridge (UNLIGHTED the last time I went through and most of this summer!) and there are boats on the other side I wait until there is a reasonable gap.

A judgement call, yes, but one that has worked for me for decades! I live on one side of the bridge and a friend lives on the other so while I sometimes go around the island usually I go under the bridge.

Going under the bridge beem to beem AT HEADWAY SPEED is nuts unless you are talking PWCs!
Today we took one of our boats out at Lee's Mills. I waited patiently with my boat while someone put their boat in at the launch. My husband was already to back down the launch when a truck cut him off. A boat left the dock and whipped by me to take out his boat. I sometimes wonder what has happened to manners. The people that did this were not young kids, but 50ish. They should have known better!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote