Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Hillcountry

Default Hired help problems already!

Got an email from Winni Marine the other day saying whomever signed up for a “Spring cleaning service” which was on their “menu” of services, would NOT be getting that service. Their email said even though they had aggressively, advertised on many local ad venues, they could not hire anyone to perform the service!
They said they even looked into hiring local detailing businesses but they were already “over extended” but going forward they would still pursue adding the cleaning service to their list.
As of now, they will perform a complimentary, rinse off of winter dust but would not be removing covers, etc.
I have no problem with this as we don’t mind cleaning our toon ourselves.
Too many jobs available in our booming economy!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Real employment test will be if the local restaurants fill all their positions. This is the good and the bad of the current economy and job market
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I pass by a McD's on my way to work down in MA and there is a sign in the front lawn - hiring all shifts, F/T starting at $14 per hour.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I pass by a McD's on my way to work down in MA and there is a sign in the front lawn - hiring all shifts, F/T starting at $14 per hour.
Wow! What kid (or retiree) would not be happy with that starting pay?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Dave R

There's an incredibly simple and obvious solution. There are literally thousands of people arriving to the US border every week looking for a better life and willing to do hard manual labor for reasonable salary. Maybe instead of paying to keep them in detention centers, they could get temporary work visas and add to the economy rather than subtract from it. If they prove to be adding to society over time, give them permanent resident status and let them apply for citizenship, if not send them home. It's astounding to me that this is not happening right now.

Please don't make this political, it's simply pragmatic and I think a necessary step to keep the economy booming longer. If we don't add to the work force, inflation is going to be a problem soon and that will slow the economy.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-03-2019), Billy Bob (05-03-2019), Cobalt 25 (05-08-2019), Flylady (05-03-2019), gillygirl (05-03-2019), jbolty (05-07-2019), rsmlp (05-10-2019), we're golden (05-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

The Laconia McDonalds has help wanted signs out but the starting pay is "up to $10 per hour"
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
There's an incredibly simple and obvious solution. There are literally thousands of people arriving to the US border every week looking for a better life and willing to do hard manual labor for reasonable salary. Maybe instead of paying to keep them in detention centers, they could get temporary work visas and add to the economy rather than subtract from it. If they prove to be adding to society over time, give them permanent resident status and let them apply for citizenship, if not send them home. It's astounding to me that this is not happening right now.

Please don't make this political, it's simply pragmatic and I think a necessary step to keep the economy booming longer. If we don't add to the work force, inflation is going to be a problem soon and that will slow the economy.
With the massive, amounts of illegals being released into the country right now, this probably will be happening!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The Laconia McDonalds has help wanted signs out but the starting pay is "up to $10 per hour"
I wouldn't eat at McDonalds if you paid me $10 an hour. Sorry but their food is horrible. About the only thing I get at McDonalds is a coffee at the drive through and sometimes that's horrible.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-05-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:

I find it ironic that you make a political post of a highly controversial nature, than ask other to not make it political.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-05-2019), christo1 (05-11-2019), LakeGirl72 (05-07-2019), mhtranger (05-03-2019), Patofnaud (05-10-2019), Reilly (05-05-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

This is the worst seasonal staffing crisis I've seen in 40 years.
There are thousands of jobs out there and hardly anyone applying.
Job fairs and ads are bringing very few results.
It's getting to be a bidding war out there and many business' have resorted to trying to steal employees from competitors.
At least it proves my point that a minimum wage means nothing. It is supply and demand that determines wages as well as prices.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-03-2019), TiltonBB (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Outdoorsman

This is a rather lengthy article but it does have relevancy to the Lakes Region.

Because this paper does have a pay wall I have copied it in its entirety.

{removed because of copyright concerns}

https://www.concordmonitor.com/kiwan...rd-nh-25139115
Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

I am not trying to make this political.... But instead of worrying about the immigrants waiting at the boarder, how about makeing those that are collecting unemployment, or welfare take these positions at least on a part time basis. while there are supposed to be looking for work.

Just because jobs seem plentiful, don't believe that there aren't people still out there playing the system. Don't believe that there aren't people available with the ability to work...

I could go on and on, but I will not.... I will simply say the solution is available, and it has nothing to do with immigration... it has to do with reforming unemployment, and walfare systems... so that it isn't a "money for free" operation...
Cal Coon (05-03-2019), GsChinadoll (05-09-2019), Patofnaud (05-10-2019), Reilly (05-05-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I am not trying to make this political.... But instead of worrying about the immigrants waiting at the boarder, how about makeing those that are collecting unemployment, or welfare take these positions at least on a part time basis. while there are supposed to be looking for work.

Just because jobs seem plentiful, don't believe that there aren't people still out there playing the system. Don't believe that there aren't people available with the ability to work...

I could go on and on, but I will not.... I will simply say the solution is available, and it has nothing to do with immigration... it has to do with reforming unemployment, and walfare systems... so that it isn't a "money for free" operation...
They are on welfare because they don't want to work. If you were an employer you wouldn't even want those kind of hires. I agree those systems need reform but that won't help much with the labor shortage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by Biggd; 05-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.
TheRoBoat (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I find it ironic that you make a political post of a highly controversial nature, than ask other to not make it political.

It's only political if you see it that way. Look at it from a practical point of view.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

That seems good in theory, but in practice it's never worked and never will. You might be able to take away the benefits, but you are not going to make people take and/or keep jobs that they don't want. I'm for giving jobs to people that want jobs and have a ton of incentive to work hard and keep the jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
P-3 Guy

Quote:
This is a rather lengthy article but it does have relevancy to the Lakes Region.

Because this paper does have a pay wall I have copied it in its entirety.
If you owned a business that relied on revenue from products that you created and sold, would you be ok with someone buying one of your products and then making copies and having them available for free for an unlimited number of people? Yeah, I didn't think so.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
TCC (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
MAXUM

Quote:
It's only political if you see it that way. Look at it from a practical point of view.
From a practical point of view it's called exploitation.

It's purposely suppressing wages by importing millions of unskilled non-citizen workers that will work for peanuts out of desperation all in the interest of keeping inflation in check. Interesting concept.... rather ironic from the same people that rail about upping the minimum wage to a "living wage" which would not drive up inflation?!? I'm no economics guru but something doesn't add up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-03-2019), christo1 (05-03-2019), Irish mist (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
Biggd

Quote:

It's purposely suppressing wages by importing millions of unskilled non-citizen workers that will work for peanuts out of desperation all in the interest of keeping inflation in check. Interesting concept.... rather ironic from the same people that rail about upping the minimum wage to a "living wage" which would not drive up inflation?!? I'm no economics guru but something doesn't add up.
I don't think the reason is to keep inflation in check, it's more about keeping business thriving which in turn keeps the economy humming along. At some point the labor shortage will have a negative effect on the economy.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #19
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
If you owned a business that relied on revenue from products that you created and sold, would you be ok with someone buying one of your products and then making copies and having them available for free for an unlimited number of people? Yeah, I didn't think so.
The library has been doing just that for DECADES. They attach the news paper to a stick to ensure it remains in the building for an unlimited number of people to read.

The paper that I quoted above offers a limited number of free articles on the website so I didn't even pay for the one I posted.

Thanks for the laugh though.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #20
Water Camper

Default UnEmployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
They are on welfare because they don't want to work. If you were an employer you wouldn't even want those kind of hires. I agree those systems need reform but that won't help much with the labor shortage.

I take a slight offense to this comment. Back in 2007 I was laid off and was unemployed for 7 months. Thank god for unemployment compensation and a grant for retraining. Not all people who are unemployed don't want to work. That is a blanket statement that is too broad, Yes I am sure there are some people using the system, but that assumption should not be applied to all.

Just my two cents,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (05-08-2019), gillygirl (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #21
Irish mist

Quote:

Both political parties LOVE their wage-slaves from overseas.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #22
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
I take a slight offense to this comment. Back in 2007 I was laid off and was unemployed for 7 months. Thank god for unemployment compensation and a grant for retraining. Not all people who are unemployed don't want to work. That is a blanket statement that is too broad, Yes I am sure there are some people using the system, but that assumption should not be applied to all.

Just my two cents,
Bill
If you reread my post I said welfare.
The other big scam is disability payments. I see so many people on disability that are able to work but they take that free money as long as they can get it. Many of then take the money and still work getting paid under the table, milking the system for all it's worth.

Last edited by Biggd; 05-03-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #23
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Wow! What kid (or retiree) would not be happy with that starting pay?
It's ridiculous, that's why the food at Mc D's is so expensive. I go to NYC every Saturday, sometimes I stop and get breakfast before heading out and I just shake my head at how dumb I am to spend $10+ on a breakfast sandwich or two and cup of coffee. Then again I driver to NYC every Saturday for work, so I'm all kinds of dumb
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #24
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Goer View Post
It's ridiculous, that's why the food at Mc D's is so expensive. I go to NYC every Saturday, sometimes I stop and get breakfast before heading out and I just shake my head at how dumb I am to spend $10+ on a breakfast sandwich or two and cup of coffee. Then again I driver to NYC every Saturday for work, so I'm all kinds of dumb
Better off going to a deli and getting a double egg bacon cheese on a roll. Its cheaper, delicious and a free coffee or oj to boot.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #25
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post

Just my two cents,
Bill
Welfare and unemployment are two entirely different things.

Unemployment is not welfare it is a "benefit" you paid into while working. Furthermore there are perquisites to get it. You have to have lost your job by no fault of your own (quit) and not due to dismissal for cause (IE you got fired). Secondly you have to have held your job for a certain period of time and paid in a certain amount which varies by state. In other words you earned that.

It's one of the few social programs that, while not perfect, does give everyone a little safety net that actually earns it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:

It's definitely exploitation, but the practical kind, not the unfair kind. I'm confident that these folks would rather detail boats for 15 bucks an hour instead of sitting in a detention center doing nothing, earning nothing and adding nothing to society. What you see as the negative form of exploitation, they would see as a great opportunity.

If it were up to me, jobs would be posted and when they are not filled by US citizens after X number of weeks, they would be offered to folks in detention centers that are waiting for asylum hearings. If they do good work and stay employed, everybody wins. If they can't seem to hold a job after a few tries, we send them home and know that we dodged a bullet. It's not the kindest way to do it, but it's practical and vastly more humane than what's happening now. It would also boost the economy by keeping the most productive people here and working.

I also don't think the solution is to pay high-skill wages to highly-skilled laborers to do unskilled work. That does not add up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Flylady (05-03-2019), GsChinadoll (05-09-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
P-3 Guy

Quote:
The library has been doing just that for DECADES. They attach the news paper to a stick to ensure it remains in the building for an unlimited number of people to read.

The paper that I quoted above offers a limited number of free articles on the website so I didn't even pay for the one I posted.

Thanks for the laugh though.
You can try to rationalize this however you want. It's still the theft of intellectual property.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #28
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
There is an aspect of copyright law called "Fair Use":

Quote:
Pursuant to 17 U.S. Code § 107, certain uses of copyrighted material "for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."
If you want to discuss copyright laws further please do it on the Support Forum or in a new thread. Please don't hijack this thread.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #29
MDoug

Default Work Force

Quote:

We need competent workers here in NH, not just laborers. I see so much incompetence in the work force and folks just collecting a paycheck instead of being good at what they do.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
We need competent workers here in NH, not just laborers. I see so much incompetence in the work force and folks just collecting a paycheck instead of being good at what they do.
I would be happy with ANYONE who can pass a pre-employment drug test!
Hillcountry (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
You don't know if they are competent until they start working. Competency doesn't come in a certain color.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #32
MDoug

Default Work Force

Who said anything about color?
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
I'm pretty sure competent workers are needed everywhere work is done.

If you can sell a boat cleaning service for 50 bucks an hour and pay someone 15 bucks an hour to do it, you can afford to train them and make them competent. The training will likely pay for itself by day 3; after that, it's pretty profitable, even when you consider overhead. We already know there's a market, and the work facility (and the majority of the overhead) already exists, the only missing link is the hose and sponge operator. That person is presently sitting in a chain-link fence pen killing time and wasting tax payer money. To me, the solution is absurdly obvious.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #34
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Welfare and unemployment are two entirely different things.

Unemployment is not welfare it is a "benefit" you paid into while working. Furthermore there are perquisites to get it. You have to have lost your job by no fault of your own (quit) and not due to dismissal for cause (IE you got fired). Secondly you have to have held your job for a certain period of time and paid in a certain amount which varies by state. In other words you earned that.

It's one of the few social programs that, while not perfect, does give everyone a little safety net that actually earns it.
Actually Maxum, the employer pays Futa and Suta not the employee. Futa is federal while Suta is state.

Do Employers Have to Pay Unemployment Taxes?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #35
joey2665

TIS is absolutely correct. Although the employer does not directly pay unemployment to the employee the tax is imposed on the employer.

However there is an indirect effect. In many states such as NY the rate is dependent on the industry you are in. If you are in a high turnover industry your rate is higher and if you have a high turnover rate in your company your experience rate is also increase. Additionally in NY the tax is imposed on the first 8500.00 of wages unlike the 7000.00 for federal
Old 05-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #36
Major

Default Speaking of Taxes . . .

. . . Massachusetts just enacted a new tax associated with the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave Act. Beginning in January of 2021 most workers in Massachusetts will be eligible to get up to 12 weeks of paid family leave and up to 20 weeks of paid medical leave. The program will be funded by premiums paid by employees, employers, and the self-employed.

The employer has the option of paying a minimum of 60% up to 100% of the premiums. The cost for a typical employee if we pay 60% is $250-$500 per year depending on how much they make. It doesn't sound like much, but it adds up, especially since Massachusetts has a 5.1% income tax.

As part of our firm's management committee, I voted not to pay a penny more than our minimum obligation of 60%. On other things like insurance premium increases or 401(k) benefits, I typically vote to be generous. However, 95% of our employees (we're in Cambridge) most likely voted for the representatives who enacted this nonsense, and they need to understand that there are consequences for their votes. Someday, Massachusetts will drive out employers, much like New Jersey, New York and Connecticut.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #37
MAXUM

I stand corrected and I knew that …
Old 05-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #38
Garcia

Default Housing...

Related to the difficulty in finding workers is housing. I worked in the area as a teenager and it was great. I was also very fortunate in that my parents provided a free place foe me to live. Later in life when I tried to work a summer job in a different location, the jobs were easy to find, housing was not.

What is the seasonal housing market like in the Lakes Region? I know the service industry looks for workers from Memorial Day to Labor Day, which is also the height of seasonal housing rates.

Having a job at $15/hour sounds great, but if there’s no place to live, not so much.

I live near a ski area which has the same problem in the winter. They have to provide housing for their seasonal workers - most of whom are from other countries.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #39
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
. . . Massachusetts just enacted a new tax associated with the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave Act. Beginning in January of 2021 most workers in Massachusetts will be eligible to get up to 12 weeks of paid family leave and up to 20 weeks of paid medical leave. The program will be funded by premiums paid by employees, employers, and the self-employed.

The employer has the option of paying a minimum of 60% up to 100% of the premiums. The cost for a typical employee if we pay 60% is $250-$500 per year depending on how much they make. It doesn't sound like much, but it adds up, especially since Massachusetts has a 5.1% income tax.

As part of our firm's management committee, I voted not to pay a penny more than our minimum obligation of 60%. On other things like insurance premium increases or 401(k) benefits, I typically vote to be generous. However, 95% of our employees (we're in Cambridge) most likely voted for the representatives who enacted this nonsense, and they need to understand that there are consequences for their votes. Someday, Massachusetts will drive out employers, much like New Jersey, New York and Connecticut.
That would have cost me $62,500 a year if I were still in the business I had.

To recover that expense I could have raised prices but how much are people willing to pay for a burger?

The labor shortage, minimum wage increases and demands for $15/hour are just a few of the things I am happy to be missing.

Sometimes it's better to be a patient person on the customer side of the counter.

I just chant my retirement mantra..."lalala".
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #40
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Related to the difficulty in finding workers is housing. I worked in the area as a teenager and it was great. I was also very fortunate in that my parents provided a free place foe me to live. Later in life when I tried to work a summer job in a different location, the jobs were easy to find, housing was not.

What is the seasonal housing market like in the Lakes Region? I know the service industry looks for workers from Memorial Day to Labor Day, which is also the height of seasonal housing rates.

Having a job at $15/hour sounds great, but if there’s no place to live, not so much.

I live near a ski area which has the same problem in the winter. They have to provide housing for their seasonal workers - most of whom are from other countries.
We had a server at Giusseppe’s last summer from Romania. Spoke perfect English and was an excellent server. We chatted a little bit and she said the owner provided housing (for a fee). Sounded like a good arrangement.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #41
tis

Quote:
I stand corrected and I knew that …
Not trying to correct you, just wanted to make sure you knew.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (05-10-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #42
tis

Major and 8, I agree with you. And it's not only the money but how in the world can a small business have people taking 12 or more weeks at a time off? Not only will it make the costs go up, it is impossible to operate with half the employees out on leave for a new baby or sick parent or new dog.
Major (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #43
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Major and 8, I agree with you. And it's not only the money but how in the world can a small business have people taking 12 or more weeks at a time off? Not only will it make the costs go up, it is impossible to operate with half the employees out on leave for a new baby or sick parent or new dog.

In the last 29 years, I haven’t taken off more than 3 weeks a year. The life of a small business owner. They don’t care if I get twelve weeks off, they only care about how much tax I pay. The government doesn’t see any value in me other than taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
tis (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #44
ApS

Question Documented Age Requirement for "Sponge Operator"?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure competent workers are needed everywhere work is done. If you can sell a boat cleaning service for 50 bucks an hour and pay someone 15 bucks an hour to do it, you can afford to train them and make them competent.
The training will likely pay for itself by day 3; after that, it's pretty profitable, even when you consider overhead. We already know there's a market, and the work facility (and the majority of the overhead) already exists, the only missing link is the hose and
sponge operator. That person is presently sitting in a chain-link fence pen killing time and wasting tax payer money. To me, the solution is absurdly obvious.
The Deputy Director of ICE was interviewed this afternoon on Boston's WRKO.

A pilot program to determine fraud among family units crossing the border was conducted using rapid-field DNA testing. Of the 100 volunteers for the 90-minute test, the results disclosed that 30 were not family units.
https://www.wired.com/story/how-dna-...actually-work/

Sooooo, how is criminal fraud, "child-recycling", "Affordable Healthcare" and "human-trafficking" going to play-out in the long term?

This "absurdly obvious answer" will require a name for Congressional scrutiny—how about "The Affordable Waitstaff Act"?

Old 05-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #45
HellRaZoR004

Quote:

Wait a moment, this sounds very familiar. I think NH is trying to do the same and I'm 100% against it. Why should the government mandate that I pay for someone else to take time off while they have a kid.

https://www.concordmonitor.com/New-H...-bill-24276017
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #46
tis

Quote:
In the last 29 years, I haven’t taken off more than 3 weeks a year. The life of a small business owner. They don’t care if I get twelve weeks off, they only care about how much tax I pay. The government doesn’t see any value in me other than taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major, you didn't build that business, somebody else did!!! Didn't you know that?
Major (05-06-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #47
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
The Deputy Director of ICE was interviewed this afternoon on Boston's WRKO.

A pilot program to determine fraud among family units crossing the border was conducted using rapid-field DNA testing. Of the 100 volunteers for the 90-minute test, the results disclosed that 30 were not family units.
https://www.wired.com/story/how-dna-...actually-work/

Sooooo, how is criminal fraud, "child-recycling", "Affordable Healthcare" and "human-trafficking" going to play-out in the long term?

This "absurdly obvious answer" will require a name for Congressional scrutiny—how about "The Affordable Waitstaff Act"?

Here's the paragraph i think the numbers came from (bold is mine):

Since April 18, CBP has referred 101 families for suspected fraud to ICE special investigators, a DHS official told reporters Wednesday. Of those, 29 were determined to be fraudulent, resulting in 45 people being referred for prosecution and 33 being accepted by prosecutors. CBP doesn’t have figures yet for April, but in the month prior, 53,077 family units were apprehended at the southern border, placing best estimates for the rate of fraud somewhere below half a percent. That’s in line with a report by BuzzFeed that found about 3,100 people, or 1 percent of all migrants last year, did something that could be considered fraudulent, including lying about being part of a family or saying someone older than 18 was a child.

As I interpret the article the conclusion is there is very little fraud.

Either way, there's a shortage of seasonal workers in the Lakes Region...
Old 05-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #48
Cal Coon

I would rather STOP the drugs coming over the southern border (once and for all, no matter what it takes), that are polluting a huge number of otherwise decent people, aka AMERICANS, and get them straightened out and give them first dibs at all the job opportunities in this great economy before we reward people for breaking the law. Then, (hopefully), we can say good riddance to the worst opioid epidemic in the history of this country, and never have to look back at that again... THEN, after we take care of our own, we can begin to concentrate on LEGAL immigration.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 05-03-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #49
Cal Coon

Quote:

Since April 18, CBP has referred 101 families for suspected fraud to ICE special investigators, a DHS official told reporters Wednesday. Of those, 29 were determined to be fraudulent, resulting in 45 people being referred for prosecution and 33 being accepted by prosecutors. CBP doesn’t have figures yet for April, but in the month prior, 53,077 family units were apprehended at the southern border, placing best estimates for the rate of fraud somewhere below half a percent. That’s in line with a report by BuzzFeed that found about 3,100 people, or 1 percent of all migrants last year, did something that could be considered fraudulent, including lying about being part of a family or saying someone older than 18 was a child.

Is that the same Buzzfeed that "reported" that Trump told Cohen to lie to congress?? (Rhetorical question). Turned out that it was such a lie, that the otherwise completely silent Mr. Mueller had to come out of hiding to report that Buzzfeed was not telling the truth. In other words, they lied, BIG TIME. Buzzfeed is about as credible as Dan Rather. Maybe Buzzfeed will get an award too... Where I went to school, 100% of the people that entered the country ILLEGALLY, are fraudulent.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #50
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Is that the same Buzzfeed that "reported" that Trump told Cohen to lie to congress?? Turned out that it was such a lie, that the otherwise completely silent Mueller had to come out of hiding to report that Buzzfeed was not telling the truth. In other words, they lied. Buzzfeed is about as credible as Dan Rather...
I'm just quoting from the previous poster's article. I was interested in the post and wanted to learn more so clicked on the link. I added the bold merely to highlight the article that was referenced said there was little fraud, not widespread fraud as suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #51
Cal Coon

Quote:
I'm just quoting from the previous poster's article. I was interested in the post and wanted to learn more so clicked on the link. I added the bold merely to highlight the article that was referenced said there was little fraud, not widespread fraud as suggested.
I understand, np. I just think that anybody that thinks that there is "very little" fraud being committed at our southern border, needs to come see my bridge for sale..., I got one hell of a deal!! I will try not to get to political. I know how it bothers some...
Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #52
Flylady

Default Drugs and Labor

Quote:
I would rather STOP the drugs coming over the southern border (once and for all, no matter what it takes), that are polluting a huge number of otherwise decent people, aka AMERICANS, and get them straightened out and give them first dibs at all the job opportunities in this great economy before we reward people for breaking the law. Then, (hopefully), we can say good riddance to the worst opioid epidemic in the history of this country, and never have to look back at that again... THEN, after we take care of our own, we can begin to concentrate on LEGAL immigration.
While neither is connected that is how this thread has evolved. So I am in Southern California......labor shortages are as bad here in a country of how many millions of people. Restaurants, fast food and grocery stores have all had their help wanted signs out beginning in April. Where once you would find the neighbors teenagers working at McD's or the grocery, you find hard working adults that are working 2-3 minimum wage jobs just to be able to keep a roof over their heads. It will be interesting to see how all of the theme parks do in hiring summer help.

Drugs: as most experts have continued to plea: the drugs are coming through legal border crossings and a few tunnels. The Border Patrol has been forced to use all their resources on the immigrant flood, the slow walk of the process and holding people because the government doesn't put enough personal where it is really needed. So showing the immigrant problem helps drive a political message and promise, but does nothing to reduce the flow of drugs.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #53
phoenix

There are thousands of foreigners who will come for the summer if we would give companies enough permits to bring them over
ApS (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #54
phoenix

If you bring in permanent people what do you do with them in September. Go seasonal
ApS (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 04:14 AM   #55
ApS

Thumbs up Looking Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
We had a server at Giusseppe’s last summer from Romania. Spoke perfect English and was an excellent server. We chatted a little bit and she said the owner provided housing (for a fee). Sounded like a good arrangement.
That would be the US visa titled, H2B:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ker-visas.html

Visa applicants have to prove they are "firmly-grounded" in their home country, so they don't overstay and become non-taxpaying burdens.

Although the housing units appear "ticky-tacky", local governments are building "Workforce Housing" for restaurant help in South Florida—where many H2B visa-holders are from Brazil. They're also excellent English-speakers. When I asked where they honed their speaking skills, the answers were "Alf" and "Bay Watch".

Quote:
It is the previous sentence that is in agreement with ICE' deputy-director's interview quoted yesterday.

Quote:
China, the prime source of fentanyl—the ingredient killing most addicted Americans—has now banned its manufacture:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/01/asia/...ntl/index.html
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #56
Garcia

Quote:
[url]https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/temporary-worker-visas.html[/url

It is the previous sentence that is in agreement with ICE' deputy-director's interview quoted yesterday. :rolleye2
I disagree - if you read the article and put the numbers in context, people sampled are not random but instead are already tagged as fradulent (again, from the context of the article, they are not defining all illegal immigration as fradulent as another poster wrote about).

It seemed odd to link the article to make the point about widespread fraud as the article was all about how there isn’t widespread fraud.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #57
Garcia

Quote:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ker-visas.html

Visa applicants have to prove they are "firmly-grounded" in their home country, so they don't overstay and become non-taxpaying burdens.

Although the housing units appear "ticky-tacky", local governments are building "Workforce Housing" for restaurant help in South Florida—where many H2B visa-holders are from Brazil. They're also excellent English-speakers. When I asked where they honed their speaking skills, the answers were "Alf" and "Bay Watch".

It is the previous sentence that is in agreement with ICE' deputy-director's interview quoted yesterday.

China, the prime source of fentanyl—the ingredient killing most addicted Americans—has now banned its manufacture:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/01/asia/...ntl/index.html
So true about fentanayl - synthetic drugs from China are a huge problem. My question, and it’s something I don’t have an answer to, is how to we get to the root cause of the problem? Banning the substances doesn’t take away the desire. Likewise, if immigrants are fleeing their country because of violence and/or a hopeless future, preventing them from entering the USA doesn’t solve the problem of why they want to flee.

My frustration is that it seems our leaders are not interested in looking at multifaceted solutions. For example, clamp down on drugs coming into the country and expand treatment programs and provide more resources for people to, long term, be self supporting. Or, in regards to immigration, tighten up on the flow of people entering, and address the Dreamers, while at the same time offer meaningful support to countries people are fleeing.

There doesn’t seem to be the political will at the moment, but I remain optimistic that it will be found.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #58
Biggd

Quote:
We own the opiod problem in this country. That was caused by our own drug companies and white collar crime. Most of todays illegal opiods come from China and not the southern boarder.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #59
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

From the Boston Herald. May 2, 2019

The fight against opioids hit Big Pharma Thursday as the billionaire founder of a drug company that bribed doctors to push deadly fentanyl for off-label use was convicted racketeering along with four of his former co-conspirator colleagues at Insys Therapeutics.

The verdict marks the first time the head of a pharmaceutical company has been criminally charged and convicted in the nationwide opioid crisis.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05...ma-colleagues/
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #60
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
We own the opiod problem in this country. That was caused by our own drug companies and white collar crime. Most of todays illegal opiods come from China and not the southern boarder.

I agree that a lot of today's opioid epidemic has been caused by white collar crime, however, drugs have been coming across the southern border long before the "white collar" boys came onto the scene. As far as I'm concerned, we need to STOP IT ALL. You can't focus on one aspect, while another is blossoming, like "whack a mole". We need to "whack" them ALL out of society once and for all no matter what the expense, because it will cost more NOT TO... Common sense to me. I heard what I thought was an interesting statistic the other day. 75,000 people are dying EVERY YEAR from this opioid epidemic. 58,000 brave men and women died over a 10 year period in Vietnam. Where's the outrage over Americans "dying for nothing" today...??
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #61
The Real BigGuy

While I agree with you Cal Coon that we need to stop it I feel it is a losing proposition. Jeff Goldblum said it in one of the Jurassic Park movies, “Nature will find a way”. Witness prohibition. When the computer gurus come up with a way to stop hackers, the hackers find a new avenue.

Alas, as long as there is a demand, suppliers will find a way to meet it.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #62
Outdoorsman

This thread is so ridiculously off topic....

Last edited by Outdoorsman; 05-04-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #63
tis

I agree it's too bad this got so far off topic. Maybe somebody could start a new drug thread and this can get back to the issue of help- not that we can solve the problem here.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #64
Phantom

UPDATE -

All the off topic politcal ramblin above aside -

For those of you at Channel who have not launched yet - as of this morning I was informed that they have retained a cleaning service for the boats

Unfortunately - mine went in today (dirty) not even a wash down.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #65
ApS

Question Help?

Quote:
I agree it's too bad this got so far off topic. Maybe somebody could start a new drug thread and this can get back to the issue of help- not that we can solve the problem here.
I don't remember how the subject came up, but I asked a waitstaff member from where she began her commute to work near Center Harbor. She started from Ossipee which, to me, seemed like a pretty long commute to wait tables!

Now, some years ago, Wolfeboro built a row of condominiums designed for low-wage residents west—off 109A. Has there been any news how that's worked out?

If the demographics evolved like South Florida's Habitat for Humanity's "collectivized" developments, there should be Cadillacs, Mercedes, and BMWs in the parking lots (and boats on trailers).
Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #66
WinnisquamZ

I believe Laconia has many low cost housing apartments that could be occupied by summer help, however, many units are currently rented as section 8 housing. As many of you know your income is limited if you accepted this housing. In other words, if you take one of the hundreds jobs currently available in the area you lose your housing

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 AM   #67
fatlazyless

Every Wednesday, starting at 10-am is $1.09 ice cream cone day at Kellerhaus, http://kellerhaus.com, above the Weirs, where they make their ice cream in-house, and it is like the very best ice cream, ever.

Anyway, in addition to great ice cream for just 1.09, last year the scoopers were these really athletic looking, young women from Romania ..... they looked almost like professional tennis player type athleticism ..... which sure adds to the whole Kellerhaus experience .... tried to hang around and shoot the breeze ... until running out of appropriate comments ..... like, so how come your vanilla is yellow and not white? What's up with the yellow vanilla ..... except it tastes excellent.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #68
Cal Coon

Quote:
This thread is so ridiculously off topic....
Show me one "topic" that isn't related to, or derived from, another topic. ALL topics have related "topics". It's called a conversation, and can go off, and come back to original topic at any time. Anyone should be able to feel free to join in, (or out), as they wish... It's called the First Amendment, and it's a beautiful thing. Is that "off topic"??
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #69
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Show me one "topic" that isn't related to, or derived from, another topic. ALL topics have related "topics". It's called a conversation, and can go off, and come back to original topic any any time. Feel free to join in.
Given enough time, I knew we'd agree on something!

And FLL, that's creepy.

Happy Sunday, neighbors!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #70
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
UPDATE -

For those of you at Channel who have not launched yet - as of this morning I was informed that they have retained a cleaning service for the boats

Wow! (pun intended)
I'll have to call Sadi and find out if mine will be cleaned now...valet doesn't start until the 10th of May. I'll call later today.
On another note, as I recall, mine was not "rinsed off" last season either even though it was on their "Spring launch" to-do list.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #71
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Every Wednesday, starting at 10-am is $1.09 ice cream cone day at Kellerhaus, http://kellerhaus.com, above the Weirs, where they make their ice cream in-house, and it is like the very best ice cream, ever.

Anyway, in addition to great ice cream for just 1.09, last year the scoopers were these really athletic looking, young women from Romania ..... they looked almost like professional tennis player type athleticism ..... which sure adds to the whole Kellerhaus experience .... tried to hang around and shoot the breeze ... until running out of appropriate comments ..... like, so how come your vanilla is yellow and not white? What's up with the yellow vanilla ..... except it tastes excellent.
FLL, in lieu of appropriate comments, perhaps you should have tried the "hair sniffing" trick...
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #72
The Real BigGuy

I’m actually starting to enjoy FLL’s comments. He reminds me that I often take things far to seriously. His silliness brings me back to reality. You go, FLL!

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #73
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
UPDATE -

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE:
I called Sadi at the service desk at Winni Marine (not Channel) and asked her about the cleaning service as I did have it on my Spring launch form. She said they have retained a service but are only trying them out "tentatively" to ascertain their "skill set" for the job. They, at this time, are NOT selling this service.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 05-05-2019 at 10:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
newbie (05-06-2019), Phantom (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #74
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Given enough time, I knew we'd agree on something!

And FLL, that's creepy.

Happy Sunday, neighbors!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure that we have agreed on something before, I just don't remember what it was, I just remember being surprised that we agreed on something!! (LOL) FWIW, I enjoy going to my nice little quiet spot on the lake, drop anchor, break out the cleaning products, and go to town cleaning my own boat while listening to good old fashioned hard core rock and roll that ALWAYS motivates the hell out of me!!! It's like an annual ritual... And to those of you (environmentalist wackos) "wondering" if I am polluting the lake with my cleaning products, the answer is NO, none of my cleaning products end up in the lake. EVER. I am all for "preserving" the environment, just not "wacko" over it like some people tend to be...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 05-05-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #75
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I’m actually starting to enjoy FLL’s comments. He reminds me that I often take things far to seriously. His silliness brings me back to reality. You go, FLL!

The day I retired I left my serious side behind.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #76
ApS

Arrow As I See It...

Quote:

Here's that same paragraph with my "bold".

Quote:

Since April 18, CBP has referred 101 families for suspected fraud to ICE special investigators, a DHS official told reporters Wednesday. Of those, 29 were determined to be fraudulent, resulting in 45 people being referred for prosecution and 33 being accepted by prosecutors. CBP doesn’t have figures yet for April, but in the month prior, 53,077 family units were apprehended at the southern border, placing best estimates for the rate of fraud somewhere below half a percent. That’s in line with a report by BuzzFeed that found about 3,100 people, or 1 percent of all migrants last year, did something that could be considered fraudulent, including lying about being part of a family or saying someone older than 18 was a child. As I interpret the article the conclusion is there is very little fraud. Either way, there's a shortage of seasonal workers in the Lakes Region...
If you change the 101 to 100, and the 29 to 30, you'll have the fraud that the acting deputy director proved with DNA testing at his interview.

The rest is "Buzzfeed".

As for a shortage of seasonal workers in the Lakes Region—or California's theme parks—consider February's count crossing the southern border.

February's apprehended count was greater than 76,000. Extrapolating for the year 2019, that'll be nearly a million new workers this year.

The US workforce is 160 million people...BUT...US addictions are killing previously-eligible workers at the rate of 11 per minute, while the increasing rate of undocumented should be filling the gap for seasonal, low-wage, workers.

Shouldn't it follow, logically, that unless the new workers start selling deadly opioids, shouldn't there be an adequate number of workers in the Lakes Region?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #77
Garcia

Quote:

If you change the 101 to 100, and the 29 to 30, you'll have the fraud that the acting deputy director proved with DNA testing at his interview.

The rest is "Buzzfeed".

As for a shortage of seasonal workers in the Lakes Region—or California's theme parks—consider February's count crossing the southern border.

February's apprehended count was greater than 76,000. Extrapolating for the year 2019, that'll be nearly a million new workers this year.

The US workforce is 160 million people...BUT...US addictions are killing previously-eligible workers at the rate of 11 per minute, while the increasing rate of undocumented should be filling the gap for seasonal, low-wage, workers.

Shouldn't it follow, logically, that unless the new workers start selling deadly opioids, shouldn't there be an adequate number of workers in the Lakes Region?

I disagree based on the context the numbers come from. The 100 people tested are already suspected of fraud; it is not a random sample from all of the illegal immigrants.

It's like this. Assume there are 50,000 people who were knowingly and admittedly speeding on I93 and have been caught (the illegal immigrants; I am fully granting everyone that that immigrants have come illegally and I am not taking a position one way or the other). Of the 50,000 speeders caught, the police suspect 100 of them are also drinking (the 100 families DNA tested). This group is tested and 30% are in fact drinking. One cannot conclude that 30% of the original 50,000 are drinking.

It's just like concluding that 90% of the people think President Trump is doing a good job when you base your sample on just those voters who identify as Republicans - or conversely, 20% think he is doing a good job if the numbers come from only those voters identified as Democrats (note that I made these numbers up just to prove my point). One cannot then accurately draw a conclusion about the entire population based on a select, prescreened sample.

As to the Buzzfeed portion of the article, that was in the original link; I am not taking a position about them one way or the other. If the whole article is read and put into context, the one line quoted by the original poster is taken out of context. Earlier in my career I taught middle school math, which included a unit of statistics. This would have been a great example for them to critique and discuss how numbers can be taken out of context.

As the the summer help issue, there are lots of signs out in the area - I hope everyone finds the staff they need to have a successful summer!
Old 05-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #78
ApS

Arrow When Nobody-Else "Volunteeers"...

Here's the part mentioned earlier, from the broadcast, and does not appear in the article:

Quote:
"A pilot program to determine fraud among family units crossing the border was conducted using rapid-field DNA testing. Of the 100 volunteers for the 90-minute test, the results disclosed that 30 were not family units."
Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #79
Biggd

I went to 2 of my go to restaurants this weekend which are usually very reliable. Both were very busy and service was very slow. Mostly the same regular help I've always seen with a few new faces that looked bewildered and ready to surrender.
The best I can tell you is "be patient", they are doing their best to keep up.
At least the food was still good but when cooks start finding other jobs things can go down hill fast.
ApS (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #80
ApS

Exclamation Help is on the Way!

Stop the Presses!

This just in:

30,000 new H2B visas to assist during this time of record employment.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-30...150034826.html

Last edited by ApS; 05-06-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 05-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #81
Cal Coon

Talking

Quote:

The rest is "Buzzfeed".

It's going to take them a while to get here. NH is a long way from the border, and I heard that George Soros only pays for their transportation to our Southern border. After that, their on their own, or ICE will give them a ride as long as it's not to far, and I'm pretty sure NH is out of ICE's range...
Old 05-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #82
KeyLargo1972

Default Short of Help...Again?

I've been coming up to the lake for over 30 years and it seems like, the last 3 years or so especially in restaurants, they are short staffed. What gives? Can anyone tell me? Its' as if suddenly no one wanted to/or needed to work around the Lake. Is it poor wages? And I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone but it is very infuriating when you bust your butt and try and do a good job and you are not paid a halfway decent salary. Been there. Not fun and as far as looking for a higher paid better living wage job, the job market is terrible especially with our current economy.

Again, not looking to point the finger at anyone and it is a little more complicated than that, I just want someone with expertise/knowledge to chime in on this.

I can already see the lines to get deli or check out at Jo-Jos. What can I say? The White People struggle can be real.
KeyLargo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #83
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLargo1972 View Post
I've been coming up to the lake for over 30 years and it seems like, the last 3 years or so especially in restaurants, they are short staffed. What gives? Can anyone tell me? Its' as if suddenly no one wanted to/or needed to work around the Lake. Is it poor wages? And I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone but it is very infuriating when you bust your butt and try and do a good job and you are not paid a halfway decent salary. Been there. Not fun and as far as looking for a higher paid better living wage job, the job market is terrible especially with our current economy.

Again, not looking to point the finger at anyone and it is a little more complicated than that, I just want someone with expertise/knowledge to chime in on this.

I can already see the lines to get deli or check out at Jo-Jos. What can I say? The White People struggle can be real.
No "expert" here but I do believe you have it wrong when you say "the job market is terrible"
The job market is very good right now and employers are having hiring issues because there are too many jobs available for people looking for work.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #84
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
No "expert" here but I do believe you have it wrong when you say "the job market is terrible"
The job market is very good right now and employers are having hiring issues because there are too many jobs available for people looking for work.
Agreed. I also think a lack of affordable season housing plays into it.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #85
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLargo1972 View Post

Please enlighten me to what the "White People struggle" is? Is that some kind of Boston suburb elitist slang?
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #86
tis

It's not just around the Lakes Region, it's everywhere. The economy in the country is great and there are more jobs than people wanting to work.
Hillcountry (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #87
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Agreed!

Quote:
there are more jobs than people wanting to work.
You hit the nail on the head tis!!

Dan
ApS (05-10-2019), Hillcountry (05-10-2019), tis (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #88
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Please enlighten me to what the "White People struggle" is? Is that some kind of Boston suburb elitist slang?
No - oh you haven't heard? Yeah this is a new term coined by the fraternity of the passive aggressive and mentally deranged. They don't want to pick a fight though...… so they are relatively harmless while exhibiting their clueless nature.

Back in the real world things are great!
Old 05-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #89
rsmlp

Default thread

NEVER had a chance of not degrading into typical forum form.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #90
KeyLargo1972

Default Short of Help...Again?

Please enlighten me to what the "White People struggle" is? Is that some kind of Boston suburb elitist slang?[/QUOTE]

Its a joke kind of thing. Like, "Oh I had to wait in line at Starbucks for my drink. It took soo long! Like 5 minutes!" etc. Stupid complaints but since we're talking about delicious subs here, I can't pretend that it doesn't affect me on a deep, emotional level.
KeyLargo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #91
Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Wait a moment, this sounds very familiar. I think NH is trying to do the same and I'm 100% against it. Why should the government mandate that I pay for someone else to take time off while they have a kid.

https://www.concordmonitor.com/New-H...-bill-24276017
Elections have consequences and the outside money and out of state community organizers did a bang up job here in NH for our 2018 elections. The results are what you are seeing now. Our legislature has hopped aboard the Socialism train and their goal is tax, tax, tax!!!
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-12-2019), Sue Doe-Nym (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #92
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Elections have consequences and the outside money and out of state community organizers did a bang up job here in NH for our 2018 elections. The results are what you are seeing now. Our legislature has hopped aboard the Socialism train and their goal is tax, tax, tax!!!
Very true.....the small margin of votes that cost Kelly Ayotte her seat was easily attributed to out of state voters, mostly college students and some bussed in from Mass.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #93
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Very true.....the small margin of votes that cost Kelly Ayotte her seat was easily attributed to out of state voters, mostly college students and some bussed in from Mass.
I am sure that attributed to the STATE legislators going Dem. too. Why is it that you can count on spending, spending spending, socialism, socialism, socialism, more restrictions too, with the Dems.?
Old 05-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #94
rsmlp

Default THE answer

Raise wages. It's inevitable but employers have been reluctant because in the past they have't had to. When you get to basically ZERO unemployment it is axiomatic that you gotta pay more to get help. Either that or lose business. Pick your poison. Of course, the result is that prices follow wages up.

This is not really a bad thing. Better to have full employment and higher prices than soft employment and slightly lower prices.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #95
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Can someone please explain?

As far as I know, N.H. already has an FMLA plan in place. I don't know how it is funded, or by whom. It relates to extended health leave from work.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #96
fatlazyless

This New Hampshire jobs situation is so totally wonderful, and is so easy to get a job which is such a good thing.

To pay my property tax and all the bills, I only have to work three different jobs plus donate blood plasma to the hospital ...... budda-bing ...... arroooo!!! ....

Yes ...... well ...... yes, you know ..... one of the biggest problems with working here in New Hampshire is ...... they expect you to show up, on time, and then to work??? ...

Yikes, and what do these crazy employers expect ....... so ...... just get to work! ...... hut-hut-hut!!! ..... and, God bless New Hampshire!
Old 05-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #97
ApS

Default Some Call it Fraud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
What?

You're not going to cheer for Democracy?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #98
fatlazyless

Red face

...... hmmmm ..... is it bused or is it bussed .... not that it really matters .... oh well ..... is really gett'n down into the weeds on that 2016 senate election ..... sounds like Samiam has been listening to those nitwits on that Sunday morning, 1350-am, 9-noon, local Laconia radio talk show.

https://ballotpedia.org/Kelly_Ayotte

If Chris Sununu runs against Jeanne Shaheen for the 2020 senate seat, then Kelly Ayotte may run for NH governor.

What may have cost her that tiny percentage loss to Maggie Hassan was when in August, 2016 she said she would vote for Trump but would not endorse him and would just let people decide for themselves, or something.

Kelly could be a very happening NH governor. She is tall at about 5'10" and had to be the best looking, and youngest lady senator in the room.

How's her tennis game ... ... and how come the White House tennis court is never ever in the news ..... what it needs is a plywood 12' high x 24' wide, hitting backboard, painted green with a white line to replicate the net ..... to get some practice tennis hitters out on their court. .... and ditto that for pickleball hitters.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-13-2019 at 04:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #99
Major

Default Kelly Ayotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...... hmmmm ..... is it bused or is it bussed .... not that it really matters .... oh well ..... is really gett'n down into the weeds on that 2016 senate election ..... sounds like Samiam has been listening to those nitwits on that Sunday morning, 1350-am, 9-noon, local Laconia radio talk show.
She lost by 1017 votes. If we were Democrats, we'd have "1017" bumper stickers!

There is no doubt voter fraud contributed, at least in part, to her losing. My son was in college at the time and was asked several times to vote in Mass even though he voted in NH. There were big pushes on college campuses to vote without any thought that the students may have already voted or should have properly voted in their home states. The other reason why Ayotte lost is because she abandoned Trump. She should have stuck with him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-14-2019), Descant (05-13-2019), WinnisquamZ (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #100
fatlazyless

In the last couple weeks before the November 2016 election, Chris Sununu went big with radio advertisements supporting Trump, and he beat Colin Van Ostern by 354,040 (48.8%) to 337,589 (46.6%).

That line "He never managed anything bigger than a six pack of yogurt!" had to be a big persuader for all us mentally challenged voters ..... ha-ha-ha ..... almost did it for me ....... such a fun political ad! ....

If only Kelly Ayotte could have made up some similar line about Maggie Hassan ..... like "She's so dumb, she can't even knit and ride a bicycle at the same time!" ..... Kelly would still be a U.S. senator ..... too bad ... oh well!