Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
BIguy

Default Cell Phone Service on Lake

Verizon is my current cell phone carrier but I want to change providers because Verizon is expensive. I looking to switch to a cheaper alternative like Sprint or T-Mobile but I am concerned about reliable service at the lake. Does anyone have experience with Sprint or T-Mobile at the lake? Any other suggestions for a cell phone service provider at the lake?
BIguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

This question gets posted all the time here and on the Winni Facebook page, and the answer is always the same: either Verizon or a Verizon MVNO (though the latter isn't as confirmed). Every other provider is weak in the Lakes Region.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
debbyi64 (06-08-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #3
welch-time

Checkout the Xfinity mobile plan. They use the same Verizon cell network you already use. I just switched from AT&T and was able to use my old iPhone 6S. I was able to unlock it fairly easily, then Xfinity gives you a new sim card. The only catch is you need to be an Xfinity customer (cable/internet). I now pay $12 a month with a 1gb limit. Additional data is $12 per gig. Their unlimited data plan is $45 per month.

Last edited by welch-time; 02-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welch-time For This Useful Post:
Bernie Girl (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIguy View Post
Verizon is my current cell phone carrier but I want to change providers because Verizon is expensive.
TracFone.
You can purchase a new Samsung smartphone and one year of service for $109.00.
Android 8 - the latest OS. LINK

If you use a lot of data then Strait Talk at Walmart. $45.00 per month unlimited (well a lot of data).

Both use Verizon.

Page Plus and a whole bunch of other names - that use Verizon for less money.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Verizon 55+ Plan

$80 @ month for 2 lines of unlimited data. It's not advertised so you need to ask!

Verizon been my choice in NH since I switched from AT&T decades ago. The old CDMA network had the best coverage as well is 3G. Now 4G coverage is a bit spotty but still better than GSM.
There was a talk from an environmentalist about his view of 5G. Much more damaging radiation than 4G to our brains. Radio waves are more direct and therefore less coverage over the terrain unless they build more towers.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
$80 @ month for 2 lines of unlimited data. It's not advertised so you need to ask!

Verizon been my choice in NH since I switched from AT&T decades ago. The old CDMA network had the best coverage as well is 3G. Now 4G coverage is a bit spotty but still better than GSM.

There was a talk from an environmentalist about his view of 5G. Much more damaging radiation than 4G to our brains. Radio waves are more direct and therefore less coverage over the terrain unless they build more towers.
Best I know, the $80 2-line is for 55+ peeps.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Mentioned in the subject line

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Best I know, the $80 2-line is for 55+ peeps.

Broadhopper did mention it is a 55÷ program in the subject area. Unfortunately, you didn't see that on your Tapatalk app. That app doesn't show the subject of each post.

For that reason, I use the full version for this site on my tablet. If I put pertinent info in the subject line, I try to put it in the body of the post as well to help out those who use Tapatalk (like me on my phone )

Dave
Old 02-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Broadhopper did mention it is a 55÷ program in the subject area. Unfortunately, you didn't see that on your Tapatalk app. That app doesn't show the subject of each post.

For that reason, I use the full version for this site on my tablet. If I put pertinent info in the subject line, I try to put it in the body of the post as well to help out those who use Tapatalk (like me on my phone )

Dave
Gotcha, thanks! Tapatalk is sometimes limiting, but it's nice having all my forums on one app. (Though recently it's gotten wonky with rewards and other junk)

Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Rewards are unreliable

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks! Tapatalk is sometimes limiting, but it's nice having all my forums on one app. (Though recently it's gotten wonky with rewards and other junk)
Rewards can be nice, but I hesitate to sign up because they can change at any time. I'd rather see just a lower price. I seem to recall when people had two phones, one for home, one for camp because of erratic coverage. It's nice now that most systems have good coverage and we now can easily switch companies, for a better price. And we seem to be getting away from the two+ year contract. I'll be switching to Xfinity for cell phones. Switching landlines saved about $80 month. The cell change will save about $40. I'm close to giving up cable TV and just using Roku, but I haven't given up on watching live local government/school TV yet and that's not available on Roku. Maybe the next elections will change that?
I recall from last summer that cell phone service is still pretty spotty in the WMNF and adjacent hiking areas. I don't think that will change as there isn't a population base to support new towers. Someday we'll get away from all these towers and just go satellite.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Read recently that a company is testing a blimp that is tethered at 800 ft that they say covers the equivalent area as 25 cell towers. It is set up to automatically retract to ground level in bad weather that it isn’t designed to handle. They originally designed it as a floating wind turbine but when the price of oil dropped it wasn’t economical so the repurposed the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Cell range

I'm no expert, but that seems incredible to me. If cell service were long range, we would only need an antenna on top[ of Mount Washington to serve ME, NH and VT, right?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-24-2019), Top-Water (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm no expert, but that seems incredible to me. If cell service were long range, we would only need an antenna on top[ of Mount Washington to serve ME, NH and VT, right?
Neither am I ...... story sounds a little like what the mooring mast on top of the Empire State Building was going to be used for.

TRUE or FALSE ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wimlrgwhgg
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Read recently that a company is testing a blimp that is tethered at 800 ft that they say covers the equivalent area as 25 cell towers. It is set up to automatically retract to ground level in bad weather that it isn’t designed to handle. They originally designed it as a floating wind turbine but when the price of oil dropped it wasn’t economical so the repurposed the design.
This sounded so bizarre that I had to google it. They tested one in Fremont, NH (Between Manchester and Portsmouth) a few months ago.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/bus...505aeeb6a.html
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Once upon a time WMTW use to broadcast from Mt Washington and 95.9 the classic radio station. Other stations complained to FCC about it being not fair and that it infringed on their 'market'. This results in a market regulation, and WMTW and 95.5 cannot broadcast from Mt Washington, just from their market area.

What came to mind, what if everyone broadcast from Mt Washington to be fair?

Probably the reason why there isn't a mega cell tower atop the mountain?
Old 02-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Once upon a time WMTW use to broadcast from Mt Washington and 95.9 the classic radio station. Other stations complained to FCC about it being not fair and that it infringed on their 'market'. This results in a market regulation, and WMTW and 95.5 cannot broadcast from Mt Washington, just from their market area.

What came to mind, what if everyone broadcast from Mt Washington to be fair?

Probably the reason why there isn't a mega cell tower atop the mountain?
Is that why they stopped broadcasting from there? I always wondered that!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:

Right. There are some limits. Physics and the fact that radio wave propagation intensity falls off as a factor of 1/R squared, R being the distance from your phone to the cell tower.

Ok a tower on top of Martha could broadcast at a few mega watts and have the vast number of receivers and computational power and spectrum allocation (not likely) to handle tens of thousands of calls at a time. And what about your "hand held" cell phone being able to transmit voice and data for a hundred plus miles? If your current phone is good for 10 miles, it would take 100 times the transmit power from your phone to be good at 100 miles. Now a 20 lb battery pack is possible I guess as long as you could recharge a few times a day..............
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Skip

Default Actual reason WMTW moved.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Is that why they stopped broadcasting from there? I always wondered that!
Actually Tis that is incorrect. WMTW-TV was broadcasting on an assigned analog channel that was being eliminated when the FCC mandated the conversion to digital channels a number of years ago. Their new assigned digital channel (45) did not have the same reach as their older higher powered analog channel, and would have been severely attenuated in the greater Portland area, their largest market. The owner chose to build a new tower in southwestern Maine that would allow the proper penetration into the Portland market.

Sorry for the long winded explanation!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #18
tis

Well, thanks, Skip. I do remember when they changed over. They are in Falmouth or someplace close to that right?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
The Real BigGuy

My bad. Altaeros’s website says one of its “Super Towers” will replace 15 regular cell towers. Here is their website:

http://www.altaeros.com/solutions.html

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
Skip

Default West Baldwin, Maine....

Quote:
Well, thanks, Skip. I do remember when they changed over. They are in Falmouth or someplace close to that right?
Actually they build a large tower is West Baldwin, Maine. You can see it from many spots in NH along the 16 corridor in the Ossipee/West Ossipee area.....
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
tis

Ok, the tower. But I meant where did they move the studio? Now I am thinking Westbrook.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #22
Skip

Quote:
Ok, the tower. But I meant where did they move the studio? Now I am thinking Westbrook.
You are correct young lady....the studio is in Westbrook.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
tis (02-25-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #23
thinkxingu

So...I posted above that the answer is always Verizon, but I'm hearing a lot of talk--and experiencing myself--of Verizon's service being very much reduced this last year.

I posted on I Boat looking for feedback, and there were a few takeaways:
1. Verizon is working on tower changes to eliminate 3G and replace with 4G and 5G, but there's little info on timeline or progress.

2. T-Mobile is 50/50. Some people have said it's awesome (and their map shows great coverage), others say there are too many dead spots.

3. ATT seems to be the next best service.

My Verizon has been weak at camp, and there have been days I can't use it at all--this started last summer/fall, which stinks because for 20 years, I've not had an issue (including camp).

Thoughts welcome.

PS A former student of mine found a map that shows a (the only?) 5G tower being tested on Moultonborough Neck. Screenshot attached. Also, some info out there about 5G rotting brains.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #24
Taz

Default cell service

I have had Verizon for several years. Never had any issues. Great service all around the lake and in the white mountains, North Conway area. May get a dead spot but very seldom and does not last long. A lot say Verizon is expensive. My monthly bill is $58.61 total including taxes and fees for unlimited talk and text, 5 GB of data and if the 5 GB is not used up one month it will carry to the next month. I think that is very reasonable, not expensive at all and its the best coverage anywhere I go. I don't think T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT, whoever is much cheaper if at all. I have talked to people who have other carriers and its spotty at best and lousy at worst.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #25
Wifi-1

-> LTE-A is a higher speed LTE, it is not 5G.

-> The "brain rotting" will happen (allegedly) when they start using (much higher) GHz freqs.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post

-> The "brain rotting" will happen (allegedly) when they start using (much higher) GHz freqs.
Thanks for the clarification--if that tower is there, any idea why I get horrible service in Hanson Cove, just north?

Old 06-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #27
SAB1

Cant add much to comment on resolving the issue but I have the same experience, sometime last fall/winter the service went way downhill at our house. Used to have great service now it sucks. Dropped calls are frequent. Sometimes cant even make them. Texting works but sometimes I will get 4 or 5 all at once that people sent me and hour or two ago. Trying to send a text with a picture attached wont work.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
mishman

Default compared verizon with spectrum

I went through an analysis of leaving Verizon for Spectrum mobile since I had Spectrum for internet and cable (and phone but I never use it as we need a landline to connect to our security system). Wish I could drop the land line but the extra equipment the security company would need to install would not pay back for 2.5 years).

So back to Verizon wireless vs. Spectrum. I was about to switch our two phones for the 4 gig plan (4x$14/g x 2 phones). I called Verizon back one last time and said I was about to switch and they told me about the 55+yr plan mentioned above. Decided to stay with Verizon but saved about $35/month over what I was previously paying Verizon. Amazing that they don't advertise this plan since NH is the third oldest state in age.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-06-2019), WinnisquamZ (06-05-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #29
Wifi-1

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification--if that tower is there, any idea why I get horrible service in Hanson Cove, just north?

Sorry, had some local problems, back to your answer. I corrected the cell tower locations for Verizon in NH, see the attached image.

There are three Vzn towers in Mboro, one behind A&B lumber, their sectors cover rt 25 from Center harbor to Fox hollow. The second is on the rise across from Fox hollow on Rt 25, that covers from Greens to the Sandwich line, Rt 25 only. There is nothing on Red Hill. Caution here, the fire tower is owned by LRCT which won't allow commercial use, the RH tower is on a lower ridge east of the fire tower and sheltered by the ridge looking out towards MBoro neck, so it is great looking into Sandwich, but not Mboro. Curious point, there are no providers on that tower that aim sectors to Sandwich, lol.

So, the third and main tower is at 781 Mboro neck road, which is the old Bell System microwave tower which relayed from Laconia. It is obvious as you drive down there. Looking at the attached (corrected) map, Hanson cove is covered by three sectors: Green, Pink and White (or more, considering where you exactly where you consider the definition). From the description of these sectors (can't determine the color on the map and relate it), the sectors that face west are: West 288 degrees 700Mhz & W 288 Degrees, 1.9GHz. The defined sectors don't really match the map, but it is crowd sourced based on samples from cell phones in the area.

Notice the only one that really counts on penetration is the 700Mhz; the 1.9G is like your wifi router (lower band), you really wouldn't expect much penetration. The other thing is these are what Verizon CAN transmit on and don't necessarily have to be (due to maintenance, or what ever). Would be great if they took the other two towers and added antennas, but it is all economies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Sooo...why don't I get great service at Hanson Cove?

Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #31
Hillcountry

Quote:

Maybe there's a "cellphone signal N***"

"NO SIGNAL FOR YOU!"
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #32
cowislander

Default PagePlus

I've been on the Verizon tower system for years, good coverage all around the lake, IMO. Check out PagePlus. They are a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) that rents "space" on Verizon's tower network. They have a variety of plans, the one I have is unlimited talk/text and 3gb data each month. $29. I cant find a better deal using the Verizon system. The only caveat....their customer service leaves much to be desired.
cowislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:27 AM   #33
Wifi-1

Quote:

This is going to take a little bit of work. I don't have Verizon, but I fixed up the map so the towers are where they should be. Look at the following page:

https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/...-in-usa-canada

In particular:
====
Verizon Wireless 3G : 850 MHz, Band 0 (CDMA). 1900 MHz PCS, Band 1 (CDMA). 4G : 700 MHz Block C, Band 13 (LTE). 1900 MHz PCS, Band 1 (1xRTT/ EV-DO/ eHRPD). 1900 MHz PCS, Band 2 (LTE). 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE).
====

Does your phone support ALL of these ?

Download the cellmapper.net app to your phone, get an account (it's free) and leave it running as you drive around. It will show you what towers/freq you are connecting to in real time. (have someone else drive or watch the screen) Where are you, or are you not, connecting to? While you have the app scanning, you are contributing to their database. You can also load:

https://www.cellmapper.net/map

Select provider (USA/Verizon), the map starts over in Africa, so you will have to reposition, lol. This will produce the above map showing the (corrected) towers. Between what your phone plots and what the map shows, should be able to figure out what you are missing. Say, the northwest sector of the neck tower. Besides fixing Verizon's towers, I have also done TMobile for the area. A Red tower is a computed location and a Green tower is one someone has located (hopefully) correctly.

While you are at it, there is another nice app, Network Signal Info(pro) (KAIBITS), similar to the above, but you will have to initially move the towers to the correct location yourself.

====

This should be the start of the discovery of what is going wrong. Connecting to the tower off Mt Rowe? (lol), that could be the problem. It is also a fun, educational tool to the marvel of what is happening in that little box of yours.

Last edited by Wifi-1; 06-08-2019 at 06:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-18-2019), trfour (06-09-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #34
thinkxingu

Just a note that I called Verizon from camp last night when I was getting horrible service--dropped a few calls for the first time in forever.

They instructed me to: power down, pull SIM, reinsert SIM, wait 5 minutes, power up. Since doing that, I've had MUCH better service. Before, I was dropping calls and losing Spotify every few seconds. Now I can post updates on Winni forum from my toilet!

Anyone explain what changed and if I'll have to do this every time I come up?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #35
Top-Water

Quote:
Now I can post updates on Winni forum from my toilet!

Signs and Symptoms of Cell Phone Addiction
https://www.psychguides.com/behavior...-and-symptoms/

Should be on this list if it is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #36
Top-Water

Correction: It is

About half way down the page.
Physical Effects of Addiction

Under illnesses

1 in 6 cell phones has fecal matter on it.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #37
thinkxingu

I wear gloves.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #38
Top-Water

Quote:
I wear gloves.
Thank you .....That's reassuring just let us know what restaurants you and your cell phone frequent in advance that have a salad bar or the complementary bowl of mints in advance.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #39
thinkxingu

I wear gloves at restaurants, too.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #40
Top-Water

Quote:
I wear gloves at restaurants, too.
In another four minutes your going to tell me you use a condom over the phone for our protection or does it have it's own glove.

Flagged
Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #41
thinkxingu

That's absurd.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #42
Wifi-1

Quote:
Just a note that I called Verizon from camp last night when I was getting horrible service--dropped a few calls for the first time in forever.

They instructed me to: power down, pull SIM, reinsert SIM, wait 5 minutes, power up. Since doing that, I've had MUCH better service. Before, I was dropping calls and losing Spotify every few seconds. Now I can post updates on Winni forum from my toilet!

Anyone explain what changed and if I'll have to do this every time I come up?

Sounds to me like it was Verizon's way to force a PRL update. You should be all set until the next time (lol...the PRL updates).

Verizon and US Cellular are roaming partners, just another variable to mix in, meaning you could have been on a USC tower and that is where the problem lies OR your new PRL added a USC tower and that is what improved your particular location.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #43
thinkxingu

Quote:
Sounds to me like it was Verizon's way to force a PRL update. You should be all set until the next time (lol...the PRL updates).

Verizon and US Cellular are roaming partners, just another variable to mix in, meaning you could have been on a USC tower and that is where the problem lies OR your new PRL added a USC tower and that is what improved your particular location.
It appears the "fix" was short term. That night and yesterday, spotty service returned. Given my awesome service, I'm thinking it's either my phone or that I'm in-between towers getting conflicts or something.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #44
Menix711

Post Cell Phone Service On & Around the Lake

Please let me apologize in advance for a somewhat lengthy post but if this issue is of concern to you the details might be useful:

Background: Over this last year I have experienced a marked decline in the signal strength and cell coverage in/around the New Hampshire lake region. Lots of dropped calls and problems getting and sending text messages, especially when sending something with a photo attached at locations we never had problems with in the past.

Verizon wireless (our cell carrier) doesn’t make it easy to contact them about cell service issues. In frustration I reached out to the New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission with my issues. While the PUC got back to me right away, they let me know that they don’t have regulatory oversight authority over wireless carriers. They did forward my complaint to Verizon Wireless.

Much to my surprise a couple of days later I got a call from the Verizon corporate level office down in Maryland that deals with complaints. He informed me Verizon was beginning an extensive “technical” investigation of the issues. I received a couple of calls from technicians doing research and looking at call strength, dropped call problems, etc. To their credit in about a week I received a call back from the corporate representative outlining that they had verified that there was a transmitter down issue in our local area, particularly around the Weirs Beach area. He indicated that their technical review confirmed what I had reported, last summer I was consistently getting three, four and sometimes five bars at our camp location on Bear Island. Now we struggle to get two bars. He would not pin down the tower location but we have line of sight to Weirs Beach so I strongly suspect that is where at least one issue is centered.

The bad news was that there was no timetable set for resolving this issue impacting us in the lake region. The representative did say that if there were multiple trouble calls from subscribers within an area (he said usually 5 or so was enough) that the trouble tickets would be bundled into a much higher priority status for more immediate attention. Basically, he said to get friends and neighbors in my area to complain. Thus my post on this forum.

The take away is that while state Public Utilities Boards don’t regulate wireless carriers it is obvious to me that they scare the carriers more than we might imagine. If you have wireless carrier issues the most direct and but not necessarily simple approach is to call Customer Support (for Verizon Wireless it is 800.922.0204 and select “Technical Support”) to file a service complaint.

Don’t expect to get a direct answer. Be warned it is not easy to navigate their phone tree and once to get to technical support you will have to answer a lot of questions about locations and the specific issues. From what I am learning, the impact of a relatively small number of complaints coming subscribers from an area is enough to get attention.

In the lakes region, the PUC complaint route is via an online complaint form at https://www.puc.nh.gov/Consumer/complaint.htm , but be aware that they will let know that they can’t help, but will forward your complaint to the wireless carrier. If my experience is any indication, you will get a call from a corporate level representative for follow up. I subsequently got several follow up calls from technicians as well as text updates on my trouble ticket.

My advice is to be very specific about issues you are experiencing and press hard for them to address those issues. You are paying a lot of money for cell service and companies like Verizon Wireless are pretty tone deaf to routine complaints but when confronted with any government regulatory scrutiny or volumes of complaints they become much more “customer friendly”.

I hope this helps if you are experiencing a cell service problem around the Lakes Region.
Menix711 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Menix711 For This Useful Post:
C Tucker (07-11-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #45
thinkxingu

After a lot of playing around, I picked up a used Samsung S8 on Swappa on the recommendation of a former student who is into tech. Supposedly, Motorola's phones' antennas/modems aren't as high quality as they once were (Lenovo buyout).

I received the new (used) S8 yesterday and have had consistent service.

Verizon's map shows white on the edges of the lake, we're only a couple hundred feet away as the crow flies, so it makes sense that the signal is a bit weaker where I am.

It would appear that the better antennas in the S8 do a better job than the G5S+ I had. It's a shame, though, because I really like the G phones, and I can't stand financing/paying for expensive devices.

The S8 I got was practically new--no usage marks at all, and cost $208.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #46
Weekend Pundit

Default There's 5G And Then There's 5G

Quote:

The millimeter wave bands for 5G are unlikely to be deployed here anytime in the near-to-middling future. As mentioned in another comment, 3G networks will start being phased out starting at the end of the year. 5G will subsume the the existing 3G/4G bands and make use of the new 3.7GHz band. The new coding/spectrum use formats will make more efficient use of the available bands. Much of 5G will exist there.

The new millimeter wave bands have very limited coverage, will require between 5 and 20 times the number of cell sites to provide similar coverage realized on the lower bands, and a lot of optical fiber to connect them all together. That makes sense in urban areas and thickly settled suburbs, but not out here. The customer density is a money loser.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #47
thinkxingu

Just for some closure to this thread: Verizon continued to suck, and the week of the 4th was unusable.

Yesterday, my wife and I (after 19 years) jumped ship and signed up for AT&T prepaid. $70/mth. for two lines, both with 16GB.

So far, service and speed has smoked our previous Verizon experience. From Nashua to Arcadia, we had one small gap, for about 100 feet or so, in front of Heath Hardware in Center Harbor. Currently streaming Spotify while posting this, in the same place I stopped receiving Verizon service last fall.

Finally, thanks for all the input here--I even had a member offer an active T-Mobile SIM card for me to try out for a couple weeks--pretty awesome. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Den65 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #48
SAB1

Agree last weekend sucked for service. Could only get texts out by standing in certain areas out in my yard. I’m ready to dump Verizon. Never had an issue until last fall. Now it’s barely useable.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #49
lakevet

Quote:
Just for some closure to this thread: Verizon continued to suck, and the week of the 4th was unusable.

Yesterday, my wife and I (after 19 years) jumped ship and signed up for AT&T prepaid. $70/mth. for two lines, both with 16GB.

So far, service and speed has smoked our previous Verizon experience. From Nashua to Arcadia, we had one small gap, for about 100 feet or so, in front of Heath Hardware in Center Harbor. Currently streaming Spotify while posting this, in the same place I stopped receiving Verizon service last fall.

Finally, thanks for all the input here--I even had a member offer an active T-Mobile SIM card for me to try out for a couple weeks--pretty awesome. Cheers!

Quote:

I have also been very happy with my att service up in moultonborough (raouls cove). We don't even have a land line.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
lakevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #50
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakevet View Post
I have also been very happy with my att service up in moultonborough (raouls cove). We don't even have a land line.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
You're right next to us. When in the store, the ATT dude brought up some maps to show coverage, and he said we should be "saturated." I've got almost full bars inside my camp, where Verizon was unusable, so I'm pretty happy!

Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #51
tis

I would think Verizon is going to have to do something about this or they will lose all their customers to ATT.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #52
thinkxingu

Quote:
I would think Verizon is going to have to do something about this or they will lose all their customers to ATT.
It'll be interesting to see, for sure. Though, I gotta say that "network loyalty" is interesting because, after 19 years of good service with Verizon, it took a lot longer than it should have to switch, and I was still hesitant until we did!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #53
tis

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see, for sure. Though, I gotta say that "network loyalty" is interesting because, after 19 years of good service with Verizon, it took a lot longer than it should have to switch, and I was still hesitant until we did!

I agree. We've always had Verizon too. Of course it was the only thing that worked up here and until they built the tower in Wolfeboro it was still spotty. Now we have a choice I guess.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #54
Cresent Lake

Thumbs down Verizon Cell Service decreasing

When we first obtained our Verizon service for cell phones in the lakes region, the service as great. We used to laugh at our friends with AT&T and how they had to walk around trying to get at least ''one bar" for reception. I guess the 'shoe is on the other foot" now. AT&T seems to have better service and Verizon has been dropping. Over the past few months,. I have had multiple calls dropped in areas that never used to have issues. Sorry Verizon - Its not my phone - have a new MotoG phone. So what gives? What have you (Verizon) done (or not done) to cause service to be soo bad lately? Seriously can not recommend anyone buy a Verizon package in the lakes region until service improves! (Especially in Wolfeboro and Ossipee areas )
Cresent Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #55
burgerunh

I agree. Verizon service in the Ossipee area has been terrible this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresent Lake View Post
When we first obtained our Verizon service for cell phones in the lakes region, the service as great. We used to laugh at our friends with AT&T and how they had to walk around trying to get at least ''one bar" for reception. I guess the 'shoe is on the other foot" now. AT&T seems to have better service and Verizon has been dropping. Over the past few months,. I have had multiple calls dropped in areas that never used to have issues. Sorry Verizon - Its not my phone - have a new MotoG phone. So what gives? What have you (Verizon) done (or not done) to cause service to be soo bad lately? Seriously can not recommend anyone buy a Verizon package in the lakes region until service improves! (Especially in Wolfeboro and Ossipee areas )
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #56
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresent Lake View Post
My experience with Verizon has been this as well.

I am done wasting time reviewing settings etc. on my phone.

Vz has the problem, not us!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #57
Stilljester

Same experience here in Wolfeboro; difference between this summer and last summer is night and day. Wish there was a practical way to provide feedback. (I'm guessing they changed the orientation of the antenna on the Kingswood water tower in my case.)

No way the coverage maps linked above are still accurate / current based on this thread.
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #58
ApS

Question To Where, Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
I agree. Verizon service in the Ossipee area has been terrible this summer.
Switched to Verizon two years ago from (model) T-Mobile, Wolfeboro service only half as good as last season.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #59
Wifi-1

Interesting article in the 'sun

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...d0d420b9d.html
upthesaukee (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #60
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Typical. Verizon passing the buck.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #61
tbonies

Just use AT&T. Works fine.

tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #62
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Just use AT&T. Works fine.

I have AT & T and it works great on the west side of the Lake (huge at & T cell tower at top of the mountain in Meredith Bay on the water tower) but other areas are very spotty

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #63
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I have AT & T and it works great on the west side of the Lake (huge at & T cell tower at top of the mountain in Meredith Bay on the water tower) but other areas are very spotty

I have AT&T also and it works great pretty much everywhere on the lake. The only place it gets spotty for us is on Route 11 near Ellacoya Barn and Grill but pretty sure no one gets service there...

Dan
joey2665 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #64
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I have AT&T also and it works great pretty much everywhere on the lake. The only place it gets spotty for us is on Route 11 near Ellacoya Barn and Grill but pretty sure no one gets service there...

Dan
Huge dead spot there, even sat. radio kicks out from Ellacoya until just about Sawyers. Huge pain to have to deal with that every day. Get past Ellacoya going the other way and you're ok until the next dead spot on 11 as you approach Alton.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #65
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
I was stuck in the truck at Shep Browns lot one night waiting for a tstorm to pass. Had no AT&T data to check the weather radar and no cell to tell my wife I was running late. I think that’s new. I don’t think it was the storm.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #66
Taz

Default cell service

There is a front page story today in the Laconia Daily Sun regarding this very issue about poor Verizon cell reception in Gilford. Many agree and are complaining including a Gilford police Sgt
Old 09-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #67
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
There is a front page story today in the Laconia Daily Sun regarding this very issue about poor Verizon cell reception in Gilford. Many agree and are complaining including a Gilford police Sgt
I must be seeing double
thinkxingu (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #68
Taz

Quote:
I must be seeing double
Oops, didn't see your post with the link.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #69
Weekend Pundit

Default Coverage has deteriorated

I noticed an increase in dropped calls starting in May as summerfolk made their presence known and it has lasted all summer. I have a feeling we'll see better service starting this month as the number of users falls off.

With the good economy and more people visiting New Hampshire it isn't a surprise that cell systems were stretched to the limit. That more capacity is needed is not in question. 4G/LTE use has expanded rapidily, but as best I can tell many cell sites have not been upgraded sufficiently (if at all) to handle the increased user load. It will be interesting to see what will happen as 5G starts being deployed. (As a side note, 3G systems will start being phased out at the end of this year.)

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 09-06-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 09-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #70
thinkxingu

Just a note of clarification: there is a difference between signal strength/coverage and deprioritization. The latter, which is partially addressed in the article, is when a network is overtaxed and user access is limited based on priority. Though it would appear there's no service, the reality is that it's just stopped or slow to the point of unusability.

We worked through this when, after being unable to use our phones on Verizon's network pretty much the whole 4th of July week, we jumped to a less-congested network. Since then, we've had only a few days here and there with momentary reductions in speed. Labor Day weekend there were no issues.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #71
bobkatfly

Default A few words on AT& T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
Same experience here in Wolfeboro; difference between this summer and last summer is night and day. Wish there was a practical way to provide feedback. (I'm guessing they changed the orientation of the antenna on the Kingswood water tower in my case.)

No way the coverage maps linked above are still accurate / current based on this thread.
Here in Tuftonboro we've had AT& T for many years. Where I live there is no high speed cable service available. We've talked to all of them over the years and they won't bring a line up to us. Same with DSL and I haven't heard a good word on satellite (Hughes etc.). So, we've relied on cell service using the phone as a hot spot for laptop and other devices as I was working from home often.
Up until this year service was acceptable. This year service went down the drain. Talked to CS about 6 times and they went through the standard cue card advice and did some reset on their end. Service got better for a few days max then down the drain again. After awhile it was apparent that service in the early morning hours and during weekdays was better than later in the day and weekends. We have a direct line of sight to the towers near Gunstock and using a couple apps confirmed we were pulling from that tower. Still little or no service.
Definitely fits the description of de-prioritization. Doesn't appear to a good solution in the near future for any carrier.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #72
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Here in Tuftonboro we've had AT& T for many years. Where I live there is no high speed cable service available. We've talked to all of them over the years and they won't bring a line up to us. Same with DSL and I haven't heard a good word on satellite (Hughes etc.). So, we've relied on cell service using the phone as a hot spot for laptop and other devices as I was working from home often.
Up until this year service was acceptable. This year service went down the drain. Talked to CS about 6 times and they went through the standard cue card advice and did some reset on their end. Service got better for a few days max then down the drain again. After awhile it was apparent that service in the early morning hours and during weekdays was better than later in the day and weekends. We have a direct line of sight to the towers near Gunstock and using a couple apps confirmed we were pulling from that tower. Still little or no service.
Definitely fits the description of de-prioritization. Doesn't appear to a good solution in the near future for any carrier.
Which plan through AT&T do you have? We have a prepaid plan, so other than VMNOs, we are the first to be deprioritized. If we had one of the higher end postpaid unlimited plans, we would *probably* have perfect service.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #73
bobkatfly

Quote:
Which plan through AT&T do you have? We have a prepaid plan, so other than VMNOs, we are the first to be deprioritized. If we had one of the higher end postpaid unlimited plans, we would *probably* have perfect service.

I actually have the Unlimited & More Premium Multi-line plan. Almost $200/mo. I have two lines and 15GB Hot Spot per line which I use 80% of on the average. No "probably" perfect service for me. I'm about 6-7 miles as the crow flies from the Gunstock tower and about 8 miles from a tower in Alton. I've been told that's very far from CS but again, prior to 2019 there were no issues.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #74
thinkxingu

Hmmm...interesting. I wonder if a tower is getting worked on or that the influx of people to the area is taxing the network.

There's also the real possibility that it's just more people using their phones to stream video/multimedia on the network rather than WiFi. My nephews both keep their WiFi connections off so there's no "disturbance" to their service and end up using ridiculous amounts of data rather than getting off the network whenever possible.

That's the trade-off when offering "unlimited," right?

Old 09-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #75
bobkatfly

Quote:
Hmmm...interesting. I wonder if a tower is getting worked on or that the influx of people to the area is taxing the network.

There's also the real possibility that it's just more people using their phones to stream video/multimedia on the network rather than WiFi. My nephews both keep their WiFi connections off so there's no "disturbance" to their service and end up using ridiculous amounts of data rather than getting off the network whenever possible.

That's the trade-off when offering "unlimited," right?

I also thought the tower was undergoing some type of upgrade or repair, maybe 5G upgrade? After one of my last phone conversations with AT&T (a manager this time), they told me they sent a technician to the tower and found nothing wrong. Okay, why didn't he or she come to my house and evaluate the signal?
Anyway, it was at this point I gave up wasting time on the phone with them. I can only believe that it's congestion and as you mentioned maybe streaming this year has increased enough to put that tower over the edge.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #76
SAB1

All I can add is that out of frustration my phone is not far from getting tossed in the lake! Should never have cancelled the landline................
Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #77
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
All I can add is that out of frustration my phone is not far from getting tossed in the lake! Should never have cancelled the landline................
It's easy enough to get it back. In fact, you may even be able to obtain the same landline phone number that you use to have!

I agree, a landline is nice to have, especially during a long power failure.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #78
SAB1

Figured I bring this around again. I may have a workable solution. I mentioned my problem to a friend that’s a techy guy and he had had the same poor cell service with Verizon. He told about a Gadget he bought, a Verizon 4G LTE Network Extender 2 that fixed his issue. I hesitated at first but said what the heck. Order directly from Verizon for $269 and got in three days. I hooked it up last Friday morning and man what an improvement. Can call from anywhere in the house now and walk around while talking. Haven’t dropped a call yet and fading in and out. Hoping it continues but we’ll worth the money so far. Plugs right into the router.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #79
thinkxingu

Quote:
Figured I bring this around again. I may have a workable solution. I mentioned my problem to a friend that’s a techy guy and he had had the same poor cell service with Verizon. He told about a Gadget he bought, a Verizon 4G LTE Network Extender 2 that fixed his issue. I hesitated at first but said what the heck. Order directly from Verizon for $269 and got in three days. I hooked it up last Friday morning and man what an improvement. Can call from anywhere in the house now and walk around while talking. Haven’t dropped a call yet and fading in and out. Hoping it continues but we’ll worth the money so far. Plugs right into the router.
That requires WiFi, right?
We don't have, nor think we should have to have, nor want to pay for WiFi to use our phones.

Last Saturday, I was able to use my AT&T phone to host a Google Meet with some students. Looks like I'll be remotely teaching remotely in a few days—sweet!!!

Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #80
WeLoveTheLake

Default Verizon

We tried most, Verizon network seems to have the most coverage.

For example, if you camp around kancamagus highway, only Verizon network seem to work.
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #81
Slickcraft

Quote:
As near as I can tell this extender uses your internet connection and generates a local cell format signal that your cell phone can use. So it is a form of VOIP.

Our Verizon phones have a "WiFi calling" feature that accomplishes the same thing at zero extra cost. The only downside is that you have to setup the feature with your physical address to meet 911 requirements and if you use WiFi calling at another location you have to do that setup again. The WiFi calling does work well at our house where cell service is marginal.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #82
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
As near as I can tell this extender uses your internet connection and generates a local cell format signal that your cell phone can use. So it is a form of VOIP.

Our Verizon phones have a "WiFi calling" feature that accomplishes the same thing at zero extra cost. The only downside is that you have to setup the feature with your physical address to meet 911 requirements and if you use WiFi calling at another location you have to do that setup again. The WiFi calling does work well at our house where cell service is marginal.
We use "WiFi Calling" at our home as well. We have excellent coverage at our property, but our house started out as a 40X8 ft mobile home with a 22X8 ft porch. Mom and dad did some expanding, and it's now a 10 room house. The aluminum skin is still on the trailer.

Before WiFi calling, walking through the trailer portion, it was a high likelihood that the call would be dropped. That stopped us from using our cell phones as our only phone. Now, with the tower on the east side of Alton Bay, with line of sight to our house plus WiFi calling, no more landline, and no dropped calls. Woo hoo.

Dave
Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #83
SAB1

Quote:

We tried WiFi calling before we purchased the Extender. It improved a bit but still dropped calls and broke up if you moved around. The extender corrected all of that.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #84
Slickcraft

Quote:
We tried WiFi calling before we purchased the Extender. It improved a bit but still dropped calls and broke up if you moved around. The extender corrected all of that.
That indicates that you do not have good WiFi coverage through your house, a common issue with non-mesh routers. So you would have needed either the extender or a router upgrade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-30-2020), Weekend Pundit (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #85
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
That indicates that you do not have good WiFi coverage through your house, a common issue with non-mesh routers. So you would have needed either the extender or a router upgrade.
Indeed! I use WiFi calling at home and was using an older NetGear dual band router. Coverage was spotty in some places (using 5GHz). Switched over to a newer Linksys AC1900 router and now coverage is great wth no dropouts.

As a note, I use 5GHz because 2.4 GHz has a lot of Wireless routers/access points in my neighborhood, specifically during the summer months, but only one other 5GHz user. No co-channel interference to deal with.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #86
thinkxingu

Anyone want to update/add to this conversation? We ended up moving from Verizon to AT&T prepaid and have been very happy. Cost is $90/month for three phones—two with 16GB and one with 1GB.

Our problem, I think, was not access to Verizon's service but deprioritization. I believe that since we had a lower-end plan, Verizon would push us to the bottom during peak usage times. AT&T's network is either less congested or they don't deprioritize as aggressively.

I have been thinking, however, of trying Xfinity Mobile as it would only be ~$10 more to get unlimited x 2 and 1GB.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #87
upthesaukee

Default Towers?

Quote:
Anyone want to update/add to this conversation? We ended up moving from Verizon to AT&T prepaid and have been very happy. Cost is $90/month for three phones—two with 16GB and one with 1GB.

Our problem, I think, was not access to Verizon's service but deprioritization. I believe that since we had a lower-end plan, Verizon would push us to the bottom during peak usage times. AT&T's network is either less congested or they don't deprioritize as aggressively.

I have been thinking, however, of trying Xfinity Mobile as it would only be ~$10 more to get unlimited x 2 and 1GB.

And whose towers does Xfinity Mobile use?

Is the $10 more monthly charge a promotion, and if so for how long and what would the new rate be?

Dave
Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #88
Winilyme

Quote:

Beware. Comcast (Xfinity) is consistently rated in the top tier of companies with terrible customer service. I've experienced it first hand and it took a letter to the CT Attorney General to reach resolution. I would NEVER recommend them given that experience and their reputation. The only reason I still use them is I have no other options for cable in CT.

Research on-line - which of all people I know you'll do - and be your own judge.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #89
mhtranger

I have used Xfinity up at the lake and have good luck with them. They use Verizon towers. Customer service was not to bad until I went to cancel the account. ( was just a phone for that area, and when they raised the cost I no longer thought it was worth it). Then they got real nasty with me.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #90
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
And whose towers does Xfinity Mobile use?

Is the $10 more monthly charge a promotion, and if so for how long and what would the new rate be?

Dave
So, it would be $45, $45, $15. That's the regular pricing.

They use Verizon towers, but I believe they're mid-tier instead of the lowest in terms of deprioritization.