Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Ice Storm Impact

The higher elevations around the lakes region got a good frosting during the big ice storm. How are the trails, especially on Red Hill and the Osipees?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
trfour

Default Good Question, LG

After reading of all the damage the past few day's I'm afraid there will be a lot more work for the club members and trail work volunteer's ahead of any trail openings. Most of the trail work is usually all done by now in anticipation for the coming season.

I'm sure your question will be answered as soon as they can get out there and evaluate the situation and I'm curious as well.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

Since most snowmobile activity takes place from the lakes region north and almost all the damage was just the opposite, it should not be effected too bad. I'm sure there is work to be done but it can't even be assessed until snow covers the trails to get to those areas.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Since most snowmobile activity takes place from the lakes region north and almost all the damage was just the opposite, it should not be effected too bad. I'm sure there is work to be done but it can't even be assessed until snow covers the trails to get to those areas.
It is gonna suck to say the least for those of us who snowmobile in the southern areas. My first rides will be with chainsaw in hand.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
It is gonna suck to say the least for those of us who snowmobile in the southern areas. My first rides will be with chainsaw in hand.
Looks like you may get your first chance in the coming days Chip.Sharpen that saw!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
chipj29

Quote:
Looks like you may get your first chance in the coming days Chip.Sharpen that saw!
Already made plans to go out Sat morning with a small crew. It is going to be a long, slow ride. Probably sweaty too.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
trfour

Quote:
Hi SS, just to let you know. The snowmobile Clubs work very closely with the property owners, and when necessary DES, to facilitate construction of and or repair of bridges, downed trees, wash-outs and what ever. The bulk of the work is done in the summer and fall months. They get permissions before they start and use from 4x4 pickups, backhoes, cement trucks, dozers, graders and even a 5 ton army tank retriever to lift and set steel ibeams and gating. I have seen a cement truck back down a trail and then a backhoe bucket loader hall cement to make footings for bridges and or gating.

Best wishes,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote