Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
Vicisam

Default Kid Friendly activities

Hi all,

We are visiting family that lives in Meredith this August and looking to compile a bucket list of things to do with my two children 4 and 2. We have done weirs, Fun spot, children's museum in Meredith, loon center on previous visits. We like to be outdoors so easy hiking trails, playgrounds, parks, beaches..open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Vicisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
AC2717

Locke's Hill hike is a great one, just did it with a 10 year old, a 4 year old and a two year old, with the 2 year old walking about 50% of it believe it or not
we had a snack at the handmade rock chairs overlooking the lake
LucyLou (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
DBreskin

The Libby Museum in Wolfeboro is great for young kids, especially on a rainy day.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

On the Meredith/Center Harbor side of the lake:

The Center Harbor public beach/docks/playground is a great place to play and have a picnic--beautiful scenery, lots to look at, clean, and, most importantly, bathrooms!

A short drive will get you to Beede's Falls for a (very) short hike and, if you like, the Sandwich Creamery for ice cream.

Also check out Chamberlain-Reynolds Forest--great little network of trails that brings you along Squam Lake and includes a fun swamp walk.

A couple other things: the Loon Conservation place, the Squam Lake Science Center, the sculpture walk in Meredith, and Abenaki Tower in Tuftonboro.

Phew, that's a lotta stuff!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FarmLife (07-13-2016), KeepItSimple (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
MeredithMan

Default Imagination Station Playground in Gilford

Awesome playground that was entirely rebuilt/replaced last year. My kids loved it from the time they could walk to their "tween" years. . Best part is there are no tourists, so keep it quiet!!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Crickets

Squam Lakes Natural Science Center's trails and animal exhibits (in Holderness), Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad, mini golf (various places), ice cream at Flurries or Town Docks, lots of nearby beaches for swimming. West Rattlesnake Mountain (also in Holderness) is a good, short hike (with a great view) if you have small children.
Crickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Peter

Default Castle in the Cloud hiking trails

We just had a great time hiking the trails just past the Castle in the Clouds entrance. About a 1/2 hour hike up to the fish pond where they can feed the fish. Wonderful side trails to some waterfalls!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
songkrai

I can't remember that far back.

There used to be gondolas to go up mountain in North Conway. Still remember those rides.
Also the train at Mount Washington.
And if taking that train - take lunch at the restaurant at the Mount Washington Hotel. Ground floor - regular restaurant - with regular prices. Not the main dining room.

At this age for the kids I don't think that much matters. Just keep them occupied.
Check any and all state parks and have a picnic. Some parks have waterfront/swimming.

Not sure if the train is still going in Meredith. Nice train ride if possible.
There is also the train in North Conway. May need reservations for that one.

Visit some of the local restaurants for breakfast. Then take a ride in any direction.

Good Luck.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
hd333

Gunstock adventure park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
noreast

Another vote for Squam lake science center, I don't remember what it's like to have a 2 year old, but that place is great, and use to be a mostly shaded walk. Short drive to the coast for Ordione point near Portsmouth Plus other stuff in town. Enjoy!
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
jbolty

Clark's Trading Post. A classic for over 80 years

http://www.clarkstradingpost.com/
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
camp guy

Default Kid friendly activities

In Wolfeboro you could take them for a ride on the Millie B speedboat. This triple-cockpit is based at the Town dock. At their age, the children won't really understand the narration, but if you ride in the third seat (in the way-back) with a child on either side of you, they will get a thrill out of the vroom vroom noise, the spray (not too much), and the feeling of going really fast (not that fast). This is an "experience" ride they will enjoy even more than they realize it. This is information based on what I heard when my wife took two grandchildren about the same age - they all had a ball.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
FarmLife

Default Another plug for the Meredith Sculpture Walk

We are lucky to have so many family friendly activities available in the Lakes Region .

For those interested in the Sculpture Walk, I wanted to share some links to more info.

This links to the walking map online so that you can take the walk any time: http://greatermeredithprogram.com/map. There are also brochures in kiosks along the walk.

This links to the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MeredithSculptureWalk

This links to info about guided tours:http://greatermeredithprogram.com/guided-tours

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
FarmLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmLife For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Short hike

Belknap Mtn Fire Tower
Kellerhaus
Do Weirs and Funspot, etc. again. Kids like familiar, too.
When was the last time you took them to a fire station?
Pick one that you do every year as a family "Tradition"
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #16
Vicisam

Thank you all so much for the wonderful suggestions!! I will add them all to my list!

So glad I found and joined this great forum
Old 07-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #17
ghfromaltonbay

Default Klickety-Klack Railroad

My young nephews always enjoyed a visit to Klickety-Klack Railroad in Wolfeboro on Rt. 109A. There is a large layout of model trains with all the scenery. The kids can run the controls. If you are headed to Wolfeboro for any other sites such as the Libby Museum, this may be another stop that kids would like. They have a website.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #18
wobbelbill

Might want to call Klickety-Klack RR first as there's a going out of business ad in local paper the wife picked up today. (If you'll be around soon and have an interest in model railroading they're having a 30% off sale!)
wobbelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wobbelbill For This Useful Post:
ghfromaltonbay (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #19
donmac

Don't forget the lake.

We just had a 4 year old and a 18 month old visiting for a few days.

If you have access to a boat, the 4 year old may enjoy slow tubing (with mom or dad), "driving" the boat (on captain's knee), or learning to cast and catch fish both from boat/dock/shore. The 18 month old enjoyed watching all of the above.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but there is a family circus setup at Faro's at the Weirs - have not been, but it may be entertaining for the young ones.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
dt5150

i'd highly recommend santa's village. we just took our kids there 2 weeks ago, they absolutely love it there. we do the rides and the main park until about 3 or 4, and then let them go at it in the water park. that's their favorite part. $31 a head, under 3 is free. oh, and get some of the mini donuts... they're fantastic
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
ChasesIslandOkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
We just had a great time hiking the trails just past the Castle in the Clouds entrance. About a 1/2 hour hike up to the fish pond where they can feed the fish. Wonderful side trails to some waterfalls!
Is admission required to do this?
ChasesIslandOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
jbolty

Santa's Village reminds me of Storyland in Glen.

All across America there were hundreds of places that sprang up in the 40s and 50s to take advantage of people traveling by car. Tiny amusement parks, odd buildings and quirky little museums. PBS has had a couple of good documentaries about them over the years.

http://www.wqed.org/tv/sebak/amusement/index.php

http://www.wqed.org/tv/sebak/unusual/index.php

Most of them disappeared when the interstate highways took over but in New England there are a fair amount of them still left and thriving after all these years.

Santa's Village, Storyland and Clark's are some great examples of time gone by. Many, many years ago Storyland employees used to go through the parking lot and put little signs on all the car bumpers with a wire twist. It was a amazing how many cars you would see driving all over the state with those things on, until they blew off eventually.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #23
DickR

Default Fish pond & hiking at Castle in the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasesIslandOkie View Post
Is admission required to do this?
If you go up Ossipee Park Road (not Ossipee Mountain Rd) to the north of the main Castle in The Clouds entrance on rte 171, you will find a hiker parking lot outside the gate, no entry fee. Walk past the gate, and just over the hill is the fish pond. The trail up Mt. Roberts (2.5 miles, but great views) starts to the left, first following the edge of a horse pasture. Off the right rear (southeast) of the pond is the start of one of the trails that provide very easy walking up into the woods and eventually going all over the property around the west side of the Ossipee mountains. A trail map is posted by the pond where the trail starts.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #24
Vicisam

We did santas village over Thanksgiving week last year. Very fun! They enjoyed it.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #25
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicisam View Post
We did santas village over Thanksgiving week last year. Very fun! They enjoyed it.
Do they still make the little ring from a horseshoe nail? I still have mine from 50 years ago.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #26
Vicisam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Do they still make the little ring from a horseshoe nail? I still have mine from 50 years ago.
Yep, they sure do! Lol!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
chasedawg

Default kids fun things

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
In Wolfeboro you could take them for a ride on the Millie B speedboat. This triple-cockpit is based at the Town dock. At their age, the children won't really understand the narration, but if you ride in the third seat (in the way-back) with a child on either side of you, they will get a thrill out of the vroom vroom noise, the spray (not too much), and the feeling of going really fast (not that fast). This is an "experience" ride they will enjoy even more than they realize it. This is information based on what I heard when my wife took two grandchildren about the same age - they all had a ball.
I also recommend the MIllie B. As a past Captain we had kids of all ages ride with us. Also while you are in Wolfeboro a MUST STOP TO SEE is the Klickety Klack Railroad. It is a very large display with all kinds of HBO model trains. The kids can actually run the trains. This is perfect for all ages. Parents will love it too. One of the best kept secrets in the Lakes Region. You can get a sample of what is like by going to Youtube and search for Kiickety Klack Railroad. Enjoy.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #28
ericnh

Default Squam Lake Natural Science Center is top rated

Amazing place for kids with live animal exhibits (bears, mountain lions, otters, bald eagle and more) as well as play areas. Only !5 minutes from Meredith. http://www.nhnature.org
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #29
michael yopp

Default Things to do !!!

Have you gone on the tram at cannon mtn. This is awesome, have been skiing there since I was five. also there is a company on RT 49 on the way to water villve valley called ski fanatic's. They will bring you and others up river with canoe's and let you off and pick you up at end of trip. Don't for get to bring lunch, yes you can fish.
Michael

We are visiting family that lives in Meredith this August and looking to compile a bucket list of things to do with my two children 4 and 2. We have done weirs, Fun spot, children's museum in Meredith, loon center on previous visits. We like to be outdoors so easy hiking trails, playgrounds, parks, beaches..open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
michael yopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #30
LuvLake

I would also recommend Squam Lake Science Center and Gunstock Adventure Park.
LuvLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #31
Lakeboater

Default Temp closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Awesome playground that was entirely rebuilt/replaced last year. My kids loved it from the time they could walk to their "tween" years. . Best part is there are no tourists, so keep it quiet!!
The Imagination Station at Gilford Elementary School is temporarily closed. The dates listed in The Sun Public Notice are from July 11th to Friday August 26th.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #32
Mr. V

I plan to take my two year old grandson (and his parents) to Ellacoya state beach this August when we visit the big lake.

Nice, big beach, and the lake has a sandy bottom, shelves off very gradually so he can walk and splash in the water for a bit before it gets too deep.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote