Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation NHSA looking for input on the proposed fees for 2010

NHSA is looking for input for a 2010 INCREASE in Snomobile Registrations $$$$$$$$.

You may want to follow this thread on SledNH.

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.p...=0&#entry22336

Below is the jist of the initial proposal.

The proposal on the table is a flat increase of $100 dollars to the existing $48 cost. That's right, $148 per registration for a resident club member, plus the club fee. This has to be approved by the legislation so whether you're for or against the fee increase, however much it may come to, all clubs have the option to lobby their local representatives to support their position and the position of their members individually. Any increase will take effect in 2010.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-10-2008), DRH (09-21-2008), kthy66 (09-12-2008), RLW (09-10-2008), Webbsatwinni (09-14-2008)
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Wow! Their proposal seems a bit steep. There is a lot of costs behind the scenes though. Lots of grooming dollars, and without the grooming, there would be much less snowmobiling to be had. The insurance costs to keep the land owners happy must also be getting steep.

On the other hand, it is a seasonal sport and the season can be short. A few years ago, I put eight miles on my sled for the whole season, so it cost me about eight bucks per mile. I think a $100 increase would kill the golden goose. We're already seeing a decrease in boat traffic due to the cost of fuel. If this extends to the snowmobile traffic, plus we lose another percentage to the increased fees - more businesses will likely shut for the winter, because it won't be worth staying open. Maybe if they increase it $10/year for the next 10 years they can get away with it - but $100 at once is too big a hit.

I can see the state wanting to break even in their support of the sport, or maybe invest a bit because they make it back in tourist tax, but I'd like to see the spread-sheets before supporting any increase.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I can see the state wanting to break even in their support of the sport, or maybe invest a bit because they make it back in tourist tax, but I'd like to see the spread-sheets before supporting any increase.
I can see a lot of snowmobilers riding without up to date registrations and taking there chances and just pay the fine if need be.

Last edited by RLW; 09-11-2008 at 07:23 AM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
WeirsBeachBoater

Yikes!!! That is a bit much. How are they justifying that number?
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
ITD

That's a big increase, more likely that this is an inflated knock your socks off initial number that will make the more reasonable but still large increase seem like a deal when they finally implement it.

If you watch these things for a while it becomes predictable.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
chipj29

That is insane. People were upset about paying the old increase to $48. Another hundred bucks? Just plain nuts. That is going to eliminate the casual snowmobiler almost completely. You know those guys. They go out a few times a year to putt around their local trails. 100 miles a year is a lot for them.

I am on the board of directors for my local club, and this is the first I have heard of the proposal. In fact we have had 2 meetings in the last week, and it did not come up at either meeting. Not saying it isn't true, just saying that the word has not been spread.

I am not saying the state and the clubs can't use the money. Believe me, I know first hand that the money can be hard to come by for the clubs to take care of the trails. Let's say that last year there were 20,000 registered sleds (a total wild guess, as I have no idea). Add $100 to each, and that $960,000 last year just jumped to $2,960,000. I don't see how the state needs THREE TIMES the fees it collected last year.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Another good reason

To vote Republican!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Seeker

Maine non-resident just went from $68 to $88. Was signed into law by the gov in April. I won't pay that to ride in Maine for a couple days.
If NH goes up a hundred bucks a registration I'll give it up completely.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Orion

Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Wow! Their proposal seems a bit steep. There is a lot of costs behind the scenes though. Lots of grooming dollars, and without the grooming, there would be much less snowmobiling to be had. The insurance costs to keep the land owners happy must also be getting steep.

On the other hand, it is a seasonal sport and the season can be short. A few years ago, I put eight miles on my sled for the whole season, so it cost me about eight bucks per mile. I think a $100 increase would kill the golden goose. We're already seeing a decrease in boat traffic due to the cost of fuel. If this extends to the snowmobile traffic, plus we lose another percentage to the increased fees - more businesses will likely shut for the winter, because it won't be worth staying open. Maybe if they increase it $10/year for the next 10 years they can get away with it - but $100 at once is too big a hit.

Lakegeezer, I totally agree! We have been burned for 2 years now (too little snow, too much snow) and are very wary about registering each year (2 machines) for casual riding. That much increase would keep us from registering (either not ride or maybe even take my chances riding to the island as an outlaw)
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Lakegeezer, I totally agree! We have been burned for 2 years now (too little snow, too much snow) and are very wary about registering each year (2 machines) for casual riding. That much increase would keep us from registering (either not ride or maybe even take my chances riding to the island as an outlaw)
Orion, what do you mean by too much snow? Just curious, I thought it was great- we logged about a 1000 miles right out of the house in Moultonborough.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Orion

Default too much snow

It had to do mostly with the logistics of getting access to the lake and conditions riding on the lake. I'm sure the trails, if groomed, were great.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
snowbird

Default Fees instead of ???

The prices we all pay for "no new taxes" and other such claims are fees, fees, and more fees. Haven't we feepayers figured that out by now?
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote