Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Megawatt

Default Bimini top

I need to get a bimini top and since the Alton bay shop is closed I'm thinking about ordering one online. Does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations for sites/prices? Forgive my ignorance on this subject. Is is possible to attach the mounts vertically on the outside? Otherwise they would interfere with my boat cover (there are no slots or holes in the cover to accommodate bimini mounts). On the sites I've visited one can buy slide tracks. Does that enable one to lay the bimini flat for say, going under a bridge? Any other hardware or accessories I might need? Nothing worse than ordering something that won't work!

Thanks in advance!
Megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Alton Bay Resident

Default Custom or Ready Made

You need to decide what's best for your situation, but I too considered an 'off the shelf' bimini and was told by friends and marinas that the fit is not always good. I had a new bimini done at Canvas Plus in Melvin Village. They did a great job. As far as your mooring cover they simply cut, insert zippers and Velcro to enable the bimini frame work and mounts to stand out and through the cover. The big problem you will have now is finding someone to do this at this time of year. I know Canvas Plus who does work for individuals as well as for marinas are booked through the end of the year. You may want to consider an Anchor Shade which you can get through westmarine.com for this summer and schedule to have a made to order for your boat schedule to cover next summer. If you have any real money invested in your boat and intend to keep or want to enhance the resale value, a made to fit bimini in my opinion is the way
Alton Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
Island Girl

Default Did both

I have done both. My first boat was a 17.5'. I ordered a Hurricane Bimini from Overton's. I also ordered the sliders. The fabric was sunbrella, but there were less expensive choices. I made sure it was tall enough to stand under it. It worked just fine and yes I took it down to go under the Back Bay bridge.

My currrent boat has a made to fit bimini from Bayview Canvas, no longer there. The quality of the frame is much better and it was made to my exact specifications and less expensive that the mail order one.

If you cannot get one made I would buy one online and try to sell it next year and have one made.

I hope this helps.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
Caruso

Smile Bimini On-line

We bought one on-line from Overton’s a few years ago. We have had very good luck with it and it is one of the best upgrades we ever bought for our boat, I wish we thought of it sooner. I would suggest upgrading the hardware to stainless, instead of the plastic that comes with it, and getting the metal uprights that hold it up when it is "put away". We tried the nylon tie downs but the metal tubes worked much better. Good luck.
Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
gtxrider

We ordered one for a 19ft FourWinns from Overtons and it worked great. We used Overtons clamps on the rails to mount the top NO drilling the fiber glass. I like it since we can now ride with the bimini top up and see when we turn unlike having the regular top up. We can stand and not feel like the hunch back.

I have found Overtons very dependable and they have quick delivery.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Ditto on Overtons.I've bought several items through them with quick delivery and no hassel return policy.I also enjoy seeing their catalogue in the mailbox every few months. SS