Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Laconia Zoning Board Meeting 04/07/2015

In another post related to the Weirs Storage units that were proposed, McDude posted this article and its contents from the Laconia Daily Sun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laconia Daily Sun

Quote:
Task force wants most of Weirs Blvd. changed to residential zone

LACONIA — The city's Zoning Task Force has proposed that zoning along Weirs Boulevard, which is currently zoned for its entire length as a commercial resort area, be changed to shorefront residential from the Naswa Resort resort south to the intersection with White Oaks Road.
The task force will present the proposed change to the Planning Board in March, according to task force Chairperson Suzanne Perley, who said that once the board holds a public hearing on the proposal it will provide the kind of input needed to fine tune zoning changes, which will ultimately have to have City Council approval.
The commercial resort district begins on Lake Street, just south of its junction with White Oaks Road, extends northward along Weirs Boulevard, includes the center of The Weirs and runs either side of Route 3 to the Meredith town line. It also includes property along both sides of Rte. 11-B, including the former Surf Coaster property, which would remain zoned as commercial resort according to a map prepared by Planning Director Shanna Saunders.
The zoning ordinance describes the district as intended to accommodate dining, lodging and recreation entities for both occasional tourists and seasonal residents as well as apartments and condominiums.
Last fall, the City council asked the Planning Board to review the table of uses permitted in the commercial resort zone, and to consider whether all of the land currently included in that zone should remain so.
The council's request was made in the aftermath of decisions by the city's Zoning Board of Adjustment to deny special exceptions to John Ganong of 355 Weirs Boulevard, and Charles Gulbicki of Gulbicki's Towing and Auto Repair at 1193 Weirs Boulevard, both of whom sought to sell used vehicles on their property. "Vehicle dealership, sales and service" is only permitted in the commercial district by special exception. Earlier the ZBA granted a special exception to Benson's Auto Inc. of Franklin to sell vehicles from a lot near the corner of Rollercoaster Road and Route 3 in the same zoning district.
A number of Weirs Beach business owners told City Council last year they didn't want to see cars being sold anywhere in the area.
The proposed change of most of Weirs Blvd. from commercial resort to shorefront residential would prohibit vehicle dealership, sales and service in, which would include Ganong's property, but not Gulbicki's.
Members of the task force spent more than an hour Thursday morning attempting to define the limits of the proposed SFR district and whether or not it should start at the Weirs traffic circle or further south before settling on the Naswa property as the demarcation line.
Planing Board Chairman Warren Hutchins, who has noted that the boulevard has become largely residential due to the transition from cottage colonies to condominiums, said that the change was part of a concerted effort for residents of the area as well as to protect the shorefront strip along the water.
Board members discussed the fate of the Christmas Island Steakhouse, which has been closed for several months, but agreed that they couldn't do ''spot zoning'' to preserve options for the restaurant.
It was noted that all existing businesses in the CFR zone would have their uses grandfathered under the proposed change.
The task force is also considering changes in permitted uses in the commercial resort district which would include require nightclubs and dance halls, currently permitted, to requiring special exemptions. Indoor storage, self-service also currently permitted, would be prohibited while car-wash, detailing, currently permitted, would only be allowed by special exception.
A 296-unit self-storage units project on a 6.8-acre parcel fronting Endicott Street North (Rte. 3) is before the Planning Board for approval at this time.

My Association, which is just past this line that they proposed received a notice that they want to amend us from Commercial Resort to Commercial and they only gave us 7 days notice of this meeting, which I am checking to see if it is proper notice (more than likely is)

So I would like to look at all the implications of what this means, with regards to Shoreline protection Act, Taxes, Utilities, property repairs, construction, rebuilds, set backs, etc.. and all that fun stuff associated with zoning differences. I think this zoning change has a greater impact than just a rezone to prevent things, and I doubt they have looked at these impacts

Can anyone give me some direction for information on the topics I listed above, we are contacting the planning board already for information, but our time is limited
PaugusBayFireFighter (04-01-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
AC2717

262 views and no one has any insight?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Scott

Wonder why they picked Naswa as the cutoff point on Weirs Blvd. There are as many lodging properties south of that point as there are north of it. Make the cutoff at Lazy E and include all the surviving CR properties.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Misha888

Default I'm confused . . .

Laconia wants to amend the area to:

Shorefront Residential (SFR) District. The Shorefront Residential District is designed to recognize the unique characteristics of the residential community associated with Lake Winnipesaukee and Weirs Beach.

From a:

Commercial Resort (CR) District. The Commercial Resort District is primarily intended to set aside areas where establishments catering to the dining, lodging and recreational needs of tourists or seasonal residents may be located. Also to be permitted in this district are such commercial residential uses as garden apartments and condominiums. The district shall generally be located adjacent to major tourist routes and attractions. Development will be encouraged which is characterized by open space, attractive landscaping and ample off-street parking areas. It is anticipated that small shops and retail stores may be located within this district as they meet the intent and requirements of this chapter.

And your condo is in this area and they want to change your units to:

Commercial (C) District. This district is intended to provide an area for those commercial or restricted industrial facilities with an attraction and customer service area which goes beyond the immediate neighborhood. Development contemplated within this district shall be required to provide adequate off-street parking areas on lots which relate in size to the contemplated building area. Availability of utilities shall be an important consideration.

Why are they not including your units in the "Residential" aspect of their definition and piecing it out? Parking perhaps?

I do feel 7 days is not ample time to make decisions. Since I've followed Laconia's 'politics' I've never seen them make reasonable decisions. Typically, they're knee jerk reactions.

Good luck!
laketrout (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
AC2717

When speaking to them all they could say is this meeting is for a discussion and for direction to go from there. I asked them you know what about the implications of the Shore line Protection act, taxes, EPA, Wetlands, the Margate now being in commercial has more other options it can do with the Montego site (not that I would not welcome other options there)

and all I get back is, well your use will be grandfathered in. This is not what I am worried about because that is a given.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
That steak house property will never sell. No parking among other serious issues. The townhouses at the former motel site are a joke too. Over two years and not a single unit complete.
Those townhouses are being built on the old Christmas Island motel. They are going for big $ too. Starting at $500k+. 2 investors that are building; Local builder has built many developments on the other side of Weirs Blvd. There are several units just about done as we speak.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
laketrout

Quote:
That may be, but no builders I know take over two years to build a small townhouse unit. And they'll NEVER get that price for them. Also, buyers will be stuck looking at the old steak house property, which is an eye sore, with almost no chance of improvement. I hope they eventually finish and are successful.

You can buy a 4 bedroom house, fully updated with lake view and beach rights 200 yards from the construction. Under 250K. The rental income alone pays the nut.
I agree with the Steak House which I used to frequent. Sooner or later that will go. If you have the time take a ride and check out the condo sites, they are well built and nice--Pricey yes. This builder has a good track record he will will build more 3-12 more units this year; depending on demand. 3 done now.

They all come with a dock. Eventually all/most of Weirs Blvd will go this way Of Christmas island condos $$. All waterfront and it brings in the cash. They are not making more dirt lots on the waterfront. Go to Scenic road ; past Weirs Beach, there are many new condos on the water there all built up and many sold and all in the $500k range. The area is slowly changing. Now if only the City of Laconia had a master plan for the Weirs. Which they don't, to bad. I like to see some of that area, such as the drive in and board walk revitalized instead of the seedy area which it is for the most part now.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

Those townhouses are really moving now. Nice to see them being completed. The street lamp posts are classy. The Steakhouse is back too. Lots of positive signs along the boulevard.

Tonight's zoning board meeting in Laconia is getting a lot of attention from both property and business owners along the Weirs. I've heard everything from drops in property value to businesses only able to be sold as residential developments. I believe their intention is to get this item dealt with before summer property owners have a say. Should be interesting.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
Those townhouses are really moving now. Nice to see them being completed. The street lamp posts are classy. The Steakhouse is back too. Lots of positive signs along the boulevard.

Tonight's zoning board meeting in Laconia is getting a lot of attention from both property and business owners along the Weirs. I've heard everything from drops in property value to businesses only able to be sold as residential developments. I believe their intention is to get this item dealt with before summer property owners have a say. Should be interesting.
good luck to them, I know our association sent a association letter as well as we are up to about 10 unit owners sending in their own letters, and some attending.

But alas they will just do what they want anyways, which is what I am not hoping for
BroadHopper (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
good luck to them, I know our association sent a association letter as well as we are up to about 10 unit owners sending in their own letters, and some attending.

But alas they will just do what they want anyways, which is what I am not hoping for
I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
PaugusBayFireFighter

The zoning proposal was voted down..
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
AC2717

Quote:
The zoning proposal was voted down..
Thank you for the update
They listened to the people, do you know if they just voted it down or put it off?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #13
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Thank you for the update
They listened to the people, do you know if they just voted it down or put it off?
Not tabled. Voted down 6-0. 2.5 hours of input from business owners, we spoke and they listened.
Lots of noise made by ES. They were well represented and really voiced their opinion. Even before the vote, consideration was discussed to put you RSF OR Residential. They mentioned the letters and a couple spoke.

They BUTCHERED your last name when they read the authors of the letters!

So this is over..for now.

Let them eat steak!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-12-2015)