Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
TheTimeTraveler

Default Fireworks on Lake

Several Questions for all the knowledgeable folks:

Fireworks are legal to PURCHASE by private individuals in New Hampshire, but are they illegal to set off in New Hampshire unless one holds a permit to do so?

Also, can they legally be lit on the shore and thrown out into the lake, and if so how far out may they be thrown (or set off)?

I have an annoying neighbor who thinks July 4th is just about every day of the week, and I'm really tired of the almost daily disturbance.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Not to Worry

Default Permit

I thought it was different based on which town. I do agree that the fireworks around the 4th are fine but they can get very tedious otherwise.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Skip

Post Fireworks regulations...

A couple of the myriad of statutes regarding fireworks are listed below. Basically, you need to check with your local town hall or police department to see if they have chosen to invoke the local option of licensing, restricting or banning fireworks in your community. Also, without a license, you must be on private property with that owner's permission to have fireworks. Technically by throwing or discharging fireworks as defined in these statutes over a public body of water, or public property in general, requires a special permit from the local governing agency.

Your best bet is to call Town Hall or the PD for the particular restrictions that may be in place for your community.

160-C:6 Local Option. – Any municipality in the state, by action of its local legislative body or local governing body, may vote to allow or to prohibit, within that municipality, the issuance of permits or licenses to sell permissible fireworks or the display or possession of permissible fireworks. If the municipality has voted to prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses or the display or possession of permissible fireworks prior to the effective date of this section, such decision shall remain in effect unless subsequent action is taken under this section.
Source. 1999, 348:14, eff. Jan. 21, 2000.

Section 160-C:7
160-C:7 Civil Liability. – In addition to any other penalties imposed under this chapter, any person who violates the provisions of this chapter shall be liable, in any civil action, to any person for damages resulting from the illegal sale or use of permissible fireworks, and neither assumption of risk nor contributory negligence shall be a defense for such violator.

Section 160-C:11
160-C:11 Possession and Display of Permissible Fireworks; Penalty. –
I. Notwithstanding RSA 160-B:4, a person who is 21 years of age or older may possess permissible fireworks except in a municipality which has voted to prohibit possession pursuant to RSA 160-C:6. A person who is 21 years of age or older may display permissible fireworks on private property with the written consent of the owner or in the owner's presence, except in a municipality which has voted to prohibit display of permissible fireworks pursuant to RSA 160-C:6.
II. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a class B misdemeanor if any other person.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Not to Worry (08-13-2015), upthesaukee (08-15-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I am amazed at how much money people spend on fireworks... not only that but like the original poster says, they are blown off all the time, even in the middle of winter. This morning I was out for a paddle in my kayak and passed a swim raft PILED high with blown off fireworks. Must have been one hell of a display last night.