Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Just Sold

Exclamation Boating Accident/Death off Diamond Island

Channel 9 reported this AM that there has been a boating accident off Diamond Island with 1 death and 2 injuries. The accident was reported about 2 AM to the Marine Patrol. The only other info at this point was that the boat had struck something and when MP arrived the boat was found partially submerged in 20' off shore but there are no further details at this point from the Marine Patrol.

Last edited by Just Sold; 06-15-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Lin

It was on the Boston News channels early this am too. No photos or more info than what was reported on WMUR. Just a fatality boating accident that left others injured off Diamond around 2:00 am.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

WMUR just posted an update at 8:55 am.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
bigpatsfan

Posted in the Union Leader

Lake Winnipesaukee boat crash kills 1
Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Blizzard

The operator of this boat I believe is the daughter of Paul Blizzard who owns Lakeport Landing. If so I believe she was a pretty experienced driver. It's sad!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Islander

She is also president of a local boating organization.

http://nhrba.com/board.htm
Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
hazelnut

My heart goes out to the families affected by this tragedy.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Boating Accident

Boat at Glendale being loaded
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Seaplane Pilot

WMUR has a news video posted:

http://www.wmur.com/video/16614448/index.html

Very, very sad.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Ropetow

Default class personified

Check out the post of Less on the Union Leader website.

"Is this the same Erica Blizzard that is the President of the NHRBA (NH Recreational Boaters Assoc.)? This is the lobbying group of high speed/high horsepower ocean type racing boats owners that vehemently opposed day & night time speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee! If so, the media needs to follow up on this aspect of the story, as it sheds a whole new light on the speed limit debate!
- F L Less, Meredith, NH"

Talk about crass....Give the dead and injured their time and respect instead of briging up the speed limit debate! Remember....there but for the grade of God go I....
Old 06-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
ITD

What a tragedy...... my heartfelt condolences to the families involved.

Ropetow,

The ghouls have already started and should be ashamed of themselves. Just ignore them.....
Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
gravy boat

Default Tragedy

Speculation is irrelevant, in my view. But, human nature, it seems, tends to focus on the negative or more sensational possibilities.

Who knows what happened. We received a call today from a friend in Litchfield who knows the sister of the victim. Information was provided to us. The game of telephone is not limited by age. Until the authorities release a final report, I view it as speculation.

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends of the victim. Let's wait and see what is determined by science.

GB
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Alton Bay

Default Lay off. please

I, too, am disgusted to read just a vile comment from FLL. I have read his cruel, sarcastic and nasty comments about anyone who thinks differently from he does many times over the past months.
My sympathies to the familes who are hurting tonight. I'm sure there will be details to be learned as the days go on, but FLL... be a gentleman and leave the Blizzards alone.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
AMekler

Default tragedy

This was a terrible accident and if wasn't for the quick response of Tom Rock on Diamond Island there could have been more fatalities.
A. Mekler
Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #15
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I knew it wouldn't take long for some jerk from the speed limit crowd to show their true colors. This is the most outrageous thing I have ever seen - how low will they go? FLL - you should be ashamed of yourself and should post an apology to the poor families hit by this tragedy. Sickening.
Come on, spare us your self righteous indignation. This is the whole point...the so called speed limit crowd has called attention to these risks all along. People debate speeding/DWI/weapons violations and such after any tragedy because there is a need for serious reform now, not next week, month, or year. This is not a mark of disrespect for the dead/injured but rather concern that these tragdies are not repeated. You are the one who is making this an issue of pro/con speed limits. Investigations over the coming weeks will shed light on the circumstances.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
2Blackdogs

Sadly, this time of year there wouldn't be many residential lights to make Diamond Island more visible. NECN is adding that the boat was headed in a southeasterly direction and that the collision happened at 2:30am.

I was awakened at 12:15am by a weird-sounding noisy boat. Surprisingly, there were several other boats out after midnight Sunday. The weird-sounding boat showed up late this afternoon, and was all white. It may be a Sunsation or Sonic.

What could this Formula 37 have struck to cause such remarkable damage, while leaving the rest of the hull undamaged? Most boats drive onto or over, islands.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #17
jrc

I hope this thread can stick to the facts and details of the accident. If anyone wants to discuss political opinions, I hope they take it to the other section.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
jrc

The damage in the photos is amazing. I remember the photos from the smaller boat that hit Eagle Island. It seemed to go up on the rocks and eventually slide along the ground on the island. This boat seems to have absorbed all the energy by crushing hull. On the news, it looked almost like a rock wall just at the water line. I think were showing the point of impact. The picture is not really close enough but the hull is also surprisingly thin.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
CanisLupusArctos

Default A word from science

It always saddens me to offer weather info in these situations. It has helped in the past, so I do.

The following is taken from automated observations; I was asleep for the night.

Black Cat Island weather at 2 a.m. was most likely a light fog, based on the fact that the temperature and dewpoint were only 2 degrees apart. They were 57 and 55, respectively. Wind was absolute calm: Average zero, gust zero. The temperature was in the process of cooling. The air was laden with moisture (rel. humidity above 90%) and was not experiencing any drying.

Water temperature was 65 at the surface, 66 at 10 feet. Water temperature warmer than the air temperature can produce lake fog, or thicken an existing fog over the lake.

Per info in a weather-section thread on water temp, several warm pools of water (around 70 F) developed in the lake during the most recent heat wave. In the two days of northwest winds following the heat wave, the warm pools relocated to the southeast end of the lake. The water temperature has been greatly variable from place to place. This would have made patchy dense fog (visibility under 1/4 mile) a possibility. Patchy dense fog is often deadlier than widespread dense fog because of its ability to create sudden, dramatic loss of visibility for anyone riding into it. For anyone traveling outside the fog patch on open water at night, a localized fog patch can hide an object in such a way that it looks like open water. The local fog patch would not be obvious in the dark, and therefore the traveler would have no reason to question what is really there.

Conditions at Laconia were similar, also conducive to light fog (temp/dewpoint about 2 degrees apart, and calm wind).

It would be good to have data from the Varney Point and Weirs Beach weather stations also.

I offer all of the above only as a possible answer to anyone who asks how this event could happen to an experienced boater. While the accident investigators will determine the official cause and will probably consider weather, this is something we can think about in the meantime: It is entirely possible that it was a factor. Whether or not patchy dense fog was part of the cause this time, it is a phenomenon on this lake that can catch the most experienced boaters amongst us completely off-guard. Conditions at the time could have supported it.

My condolences to all those involved.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default F L Less is sick.

He doesn't have the facts if speed was a factor. It was foggy on The Broads Saturday night, Sunday morning. I have seen many accidents due to fog. And they were not high performance boats.

Condolence to the Beadoin family and wish the others for a speedy recovery. The Blizzard family are well known and respected member of the boating community.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #21
Winnipesaukee

In my expert ( ) opinion, it looks like whatever the boat struck was above the water, but below the level of the gunwale. I'd "speculate" a large, wide rock. Based on the bottom of the hull it doesn't seem that it hit much else--if anything--before it struck whatever damaged the bow, which seems a bit strange. What tends to happen is the boat goes over the obstruction, rather than into it. Notice the hull delaminated from the deck the entire way back.

The bow must have absorbed all of the energy from the moving boat--stopped--in those few feet.

edit: if you watch the video, it will show that the boat hit a rock wall on the shore, and the anchor chain had enough inertia to continue on shore and damage a house a few feet away.

All speculation, of course. Condolences to those involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #22
SOB

Default video

Click the link on the 3rd post of this thread, they have a video which shows the rock the boat struck and also the account of what the person living on the island heard and saw immediately after...

Let's all wait for the facts, I hate when 30 replies from now assumptions become fact. But do check the video out, location on the island, and other comments do shed some light.

Regardless, my sympathies to all the families involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Seaplane is right......totally tasteless and uncalled for.Three families lives changed in a tragedy.......guess we should have expected someone to take to low road.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #24
Lake Fan

Does anyone know if that boat was particluarly loud? I woke up very late that night and heard a loud boat out on the lake. Couldn't see it from my vantage point but it was loud enough that I got out of bed to take a look.
Might have no connnection at all, just wondering.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #25
Winnipesaukee

I think that's a Formula Super Sport, which has through transom exhaust as an option. So it's possible that that's what you heard.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Superb Jounalism

In the Laconia Citizen

http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...660/-1/CITIZEN

and in the Concord Monitor

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs....PAGE/806160371

The Union Leader became 'tabloid trash'

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...8-7adf8d429017
Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #27
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
Does anyone know if that boat was particluarly loud? I woke up very late that night and heard a loud boat out on the lake. Couldn't see it from my vantage point but it was loud enough that I got out of bed to take a look.
Might have no connnection at all, just wondering.
That boat would not typically be loud, even with the through transoms. I pass by one that looks just like it in Glendale daily and have heard it running. There are plenty of loud boats on the lake so unless you were in the vicinity it is doubtful they were the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blackdogs
Sadly, this time of year there wouldn't be many residential lights to make Diamond Island more visible. NECN is adding that the boat was headed in a southeasterly direction and that the collision happened at 2:30am.
With no power (other than if by generators) on Diamond and only a few houses tucked in the trees in that area it would be extremely dark at 2:30am, especially with the weather conditions that night. I have been to the Rock's house in the past and know the area well. They are lucky to have a Doctor be the first on scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle boy
Come on, spare us your self righteous indignation. This is the whole point...the so called speed limit crowd has called attention to these risks all along. People debate speeding/DWI/weapons violations and such after any tragedy because there is a need for serious reform now, not next week, month, or year. This is not a mark of disrespect for the dead/injured but rather concern that these tragdies are not repeated. You are the one who is making this an issue of pro/con speed limits. Investigations over the coming weeks will shed light on the circumstances.
I am sure the rumors and speculation is certainly flying around, but lets have some respect and restraint. There is plenty of time for speculation and criticism later as I am sure many will do. Someone lost their life and no matter what happened or if anyone was at fault there are pleny of lives affected. For all we know, a member of this very forum could be involved or part of one of the families.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #28
Turtle Boy

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, " martini " in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Broadhopper, perhaps you should consider suspending this signature...clearly the family of the victim would disagree with you here. The victim's cousin has already weighed in. This thread contains references to the so called lack of respect to the victim and her family by supporters of speed limits...your beliefs echoed in your signature are part and parcel of the problems faced on the lake caused by a few people cloaking themselves in the "Live Free or Die" banner".It's pathetic.

Last edited by Turtle Boy; 06-16-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: needed to add word (caused)
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #29
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, " martini " in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Broadhopper, perhaps you should consider suspending this signature...clearly the family of the victim would disagree with you here. The victim's cousin has already weighed in. This thread contains references to the so called lack of respect to the victim and her family by supporters of speed limits...your beliefs echoed in your signature are part and parcel of the problems faced on the lake by a few people cloaking themselves in the "Live Free or Die" banner".It's pathetic.

I didn't even take notice of Broadhopper's signature and I'm sure i'm not alone in this oversight but it sure was good of you to point it out.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this tragedy.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #30
Belmont Resident

Default Diamond Island accident

Why is it, before any facts are released some people feel they have to have little or no respect for those involved in this tragedy and post what they feel are facts? I stopped viewing and posting years ago for this very reason. Unlike many other web sites where some sort of restraint is used in determining what is and what is not allowed to be posted, hurtful comments seem to be the norm on this site.
I found it was easy to get drawn in and become like so many others that’s why I stopped posting.
It is amazing how fearless people are when all they have to face is a computer screen.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #31
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Turtle Boy, that was one fine piece of creative writing. My god, you really believe this stuff, don't you?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #32
chipj29

Quote:

Broadhopper, perhaps you should consider suspending this signature...clearly the family of the victim would disagree with you here. The victim's cousin has already weighed in. This thread contains references to the so called lack of respect to the victim and her family by supporters of speed limits...your beliefs echoed in your signature are part and parcel of the problems faced on the lake by a few people cloaking themselves in the "Live Free or Die" banner".It's pathetic.
So you are suggesting that anyone with a "life is short" outlook on life should suspend his/her opinions anytime someones life is cut short? Ya, ok.

Condolences go out to the families of all involved in this accident. Speculation needs to stop. Period.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #33
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Why is it, before any facts are released...
Facts? Why would anyone want to let the facts get in the way of their respective agendas?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #34
kthy66

Default Crazy

Seriously,,, even if speed was a factor does that mean its ok to start some political debate over speed limits?? NO... this is a tragedy plain and simple.. say prayers for the family and move on.

Last edited by kthy66; 06-16-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #35
Wolfeboro_Baja

My thoughts and condolences to the family and friends of Stephanie Beaudoin for the tragic loss of her life and I wish Erica Blizzard and Nicole Shineopelus a quick recovery. My thoughts also go out to Erica for the loss of her friend and the knowledge that she will have to live with this memory the rest of her life. I'm sure that will weigh heavily on her for a long time to come.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #36
Island Lover

Several years ago a friend and neighbor was killed in another needless tragedy on Winnipesaukee. At that time many of us came together in hopes of bringing about change and to prevent these types of accidents. Through years of name calling and hostility we have attempted to improve safety on the lake. Its good that at least one newspaper remembers Jack's name. How many years will it be before yesterdays accident is considered to long ago to be relevant?

We can't sweep another accident under the rug and wait until the next. Some good can come from even the worst tragedies. The best way to honor the dead and console the living is to work to keep it from happening again.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #37
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post
Several years ago a friend and neighbor was killed in another needless tragedy on Winnipesaukee. At that time many of us came together in hopes of bringing about change and to prevent these types of accidents. Through years of name calling and hostility we have attempted to improve safety on the lake. Its good that at least one newspaper remembers Jack's name. How many years will it be before yesterdays accident is considered to long ago to be relevant?

We can't sweep another accident under the rug and wait until the next. Some good can come from even the worst tragedies. The best way to honor the dead and console the living is to work to keep it from happening again.
I cannot understand how anyone can possibly imply that excessive speed was a factor in this accident, without even seeing the official report from the investigation. Yes, the photos show what appears to be severe damage to the bow of the boat. However, if you think about it, hitting a solid granite wall at even 25mph will do severe damage to a boat that's just simply made of fiberglass and wood. What do people think - it's just going to bounce off the rocks? In my opinion (which is worthless), if the boat had been traveling much faster than 20-25mph, there would have been a lot more damage to the boat. Think about those front impact tests the insurance companies do on cars at 5mph? We're talking about a steel car suffering significant damage from a crash at a very low rate of speed. I think in the end that the investigation will determine that the boat's speed was a lot less than people believe it was. Reading some of these cruel comments on The Union Leader website is totally sickening and uncalled for.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #38
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post

I agree I.L. We should not sweep these under the rug. We should learn from these tragedies and avoid them in the future. Would a 25MPH speed limit have helped here? Who knows, I personally think no. People make mistakes and make bad choices all the time. Depending on regualtions and laws to prevent this is not going to work.

Even without hearing any real facts other than seeing the picture of the boat you can figure out she was going to fast for the conditions, probably less than the proposed limit, and made some bad decisions. She broke the basic rule of driving any vehicle. How do you write a law that encompases so many variables withour crippling the entire activity? you can't. We somehow need to educate drivers so they can make better decisions.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #39
Tank151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post

"Is this the same Erica Blizzard that is the President of the NHRBA (NH Recreational Boaters Assoc.)? This is the lobbying group of high speed/high horsepower ocean type racing boats owners that vehemently opposed day & night time speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee! If so, the media needs to follow up on this aspect of the story, as it sheds a whole new light on the speed limit debate!
This is Fat Lazy Less who frequently posts on this forum.... This guy has NO CLASS!!! Without knowing ALL the facts, he has already made some assumptions.

I know Paul Blizzard and his family... and they always promote boating safety!

This was an unfortunate tradegy, one that took a young lady's life and severly hurt the driver and another passenger.

Our hearts are with all three families as they suffer through this tradegy.

Tank
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #40
Beggaman Thief

The more I study the photo, the more it looks like speed wasn’t a factor as evident by the trim tabs and the out-drives being in the down position. And, the way the front is damaged, it appears the boat never went up and over the object….. Wolfeboro Baja, I also echo your sentiments. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that is touched by this tragedy.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #41
parrothead

Default Thoughts go out to the families

What a terrible accident. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved. By reading the new stories this was something fun these women did every year, and what a tragedy that this time it ended as it did.

Last edited by parrothead; 06-16-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #42
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggaman Thief View Post
The more I study the photo, the more it looks like speed wasn’t a factor as evident by the trim tabs and the out-drives being in the down position. And, the way the front is damaged, it appears the boat never went up and over the object….. Wolfeboro Baja, I also echo your sentiments. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that is touched by this tragedy.
If she was exceeding 6 MPH/no wake, speed was a factor. It's obvious the boat was closer to Diamond Island than 150'.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #43
robmac

this is a very tragic story and reality for all involved.My prayers go out to all of the families involved and think making judgements of what and how should be done by professionals who have more info than has been released
Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #44
SIKSUKR

Default Stop you incensitive idiots

This has hit real close to home for me.I know Erica and Steph real well.Stephanie was the sweetest girl.Please stop this crazy taking sides before any infomation has been released.What is wrong with members like FLL and Turtle Boy jumping on the speed limit bandwagon without one shred of info.The only thing we know is that the weather was not good.Shame on you people!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #45
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This has hit real close to home for me.I know Erica and Steph real well.Stephanie was the sweetest girl.Please stop this crazy taking sides before any infomation has been released.What is wrong with members like FLL and Turtle Boy jumping on the speed limit bandwagon without one shred of info.The only thing we know is that the weather was not good.Shame on you people!
I agree with you.

And speculating the speed was under the limit is no different from speculating it was over. Plus it will only lead to more speculation or counter theories.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #46
Weirs guy

Good to see everyones getting along the same while I'm gone. One person has died and 2 have to live with that and their injures forever and we're all worried about how fast they were going.

My condolences to all those effected.

Now?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #47
sa meredith

Default speculation...

Because she was such an experienced boater, and would know the lake like the back of her hand, I would think people should lean more toward speculation of mechanical failure, or something of this nature. But, really, I agree...NONE OF THAT MATTERS NOW.
Maybe later, but now the only thing people should be concerned with is passing along thoughts of condolence to the families involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #48
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The damage in the photos is amazing. I remember the photos from the smaller boat that hit Eagle Island. It seemed to go up on the rocks and eventually slide along the ground on the island. This boat seems to have absorbed all the energy by crushing hull. On the news, it looked almost like a rock wall just at the water line. I think were showing the point of impact. The picture is not really close enough but the hull is also surprisingly thin.
These boats have a good reputation, but that hull IS thin. Other large boats have been known to climb over Lake Superior's rock jettys at high speeds saving their drivers. Some fiberglass cloth hanging low from deckline level on this Formula don't appear to have been thoroughly infused with resin. Possibly an error in construction? Fiberglass cloth is now made in China.

I correct myself on the amount of light available.

Just checking today's weather, I see that there is a full moon. I saw other boats miles away after midnight so the visibility was very good, at least after midnight. This boat's direction was from the most open part of the lake, so distractions or just not paying attention seems likely. Comments of a temporary government suspension of GPS seem hardly likely at all.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #49
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post

Just checking today's weather, I see that there is a full moon. I saw other boats miles away after midnight so the visibility was very good, at least after midnight. This boat's direction was from the most open part of the lake, so distractions or just not paying attention seems likely. Comments of a temporary government suspension of GPS seem hardly likely at all.
Are you sure you have the correct night?It rained pretty hard Saturday night and was foggy.Sunday was overcast and drizzly till I left at noon.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #50
SIKSUKR

Default Update

Latest update from a friend who talked to someone close was that Erica is in critical condition but was expected to survive.I hope that is the case.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #51
twoplustwo

Default what a tragedy

siksukr, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and my condolences go out to her family, as well. I'll keep Erica and Nicole in my thoughts and prayers as they recover from the physical and emotional toll of this tragedy.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #52
Jeti

Sad situation....2.30 am.. would Radar have assisted, it looked high end for a boat.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #53
Winnipesaukee

The fiberglass is thick enough. Even from the photo it is impossible to tell if the glass was properly laid or not. Regardless, no glass hull is meant to strike a rock wall head on at a high rate of speed. The whole thing weighs at least 7 tons...

The obstruction was too high for the boat to "soar" over. Lower obstructions, such as those under water or partially above (the Witches is a good example) would allow a boat to act as a ramp and fly over. It's like driving a car over a curb vs. into a wall.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #54
kthy66

Default so sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeti View Post
Sad situation....2.30 am.. would Radar have assisted, it looked high end for a boat.
Yes radar would have helped, unfortunately this boat was not equipped with it according to lakeport site..

http://www.lakeportlanding.com/mored...g&icc_ind=BOAT
Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #55
kthy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
The fiberglass is thick enough. Even from the photo it is impossible to tell if the glass was properly laid or not. Regardless, no glass hull is meant to strike a rock wall head on at a high rate of speed. The whole thing weighs at least 7 tons...
Exactly,,, if this boat were at WOT when it hit it would have disintegrated. I dont believe there is any design flaw here.. When you take into consideration the forces at work here it is not surprising the amount of damage to the hull.. No fiberglass vessel could withstand the impact of hitting a rock wall at any speed over headway.

I guess all we can hope is that the families can heal and maybe some folks will learn something from this tragedy.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #56
Lakepilot

My heart goes out to all affected by this accident. I pray for a speedy recovery for those injured.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #57
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post
These boats have a good reputation, but that hull IS thin. Other large boats have been known to climb over Lake Superior's rock jettys at high speeds saving their drivers. Some fiberglass cloth hanging low from deckline level on this Formula don't appear to have been thoroughly infused with resin. Possibly an error in construction? Fiberglass cloth is now made in China.

HUH?

Formula does not make a thin-hulled boat at all, in fact they historically have a rather heavy build and have a great reputation. Unless you are a nationally accredited marine surveyor and are overqualified to the point of being able to make such judgements from a website picture about the resin, hull composition, etc you are spewing garbage.

The night was cold, dark and raining at that time. At 1am when we got out of the hot tub and went to bed it was not raining yet but it was extremely dark.

For the record, that boat is capable of 53mph+/-, not exactly a GFBL. It has a dry weight of 15,100lbs and the intertia that it would have at even 25mph could be extremely destructive.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #58
jrc

Please let me be clear, I was not saying that the hull was undersized or poorly constructed or defective. It just saying that it looked thinner in the picture than I would have guessed. Formula makes some very expensive boats and I'm sure they have well engineered layups. The stress on that hull at impact to immovable granite has to be incredible.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #59
webmaster

Boston.com article gives some more information.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #60
Water Camper

Default Give it a break Less

Is this the same Erica Blizzard that is the President of the NHRBA (NH Recreational Boaters Assoc.)? This is the lobbying group of high speed/high horsepower ocean type racing boats owners that vehemently opposed day & night time speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee! If so, the media needs to follow up on this aspect of the story, as it sheds a whole new light on the speed limit debate!

Anyone who knows Erica Blizzard knows that she is a seasoned boater and highly experienced. And she's smart too. How does her being a part of a lobbying group have anything to do with this unfortunate accident? You, obviously have formed your own opinion. We wish Erica, Paul and their family our heart felt love and support. Every one on this website should do the same.

Sue
Old 06-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #61
PennyPenny

Default From What I Heard 1st Hand From the Nephew

Speed was an issue. His aunt is the deceased. The boat hit some rocks and went airborne?? and landed on or near shore. I only know that the families are grieving. The nephew is my future son in law and works at the Whining Butcher in Gilford.( not that that matters) I am not a boater but I have seen what speed can do whether it be a rock or tree or whatever. People kill people. It just brings me to tears. RIP
Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #62
Waterbaby

My condolences and prayers to Stephanie's family, and thoughts and prayers to the families of Erica and Nicole. What a terrible tragedy, and I sincerely hope Erica pulls through so this tragedy does not expand.

As far as opinions stated on this thread thus far, assumptions made, and trying to turn it into a platform for or against speed limits, I myself would not even begin to presume to know causes of the accident, conditions or speed or any other related factors. I am not Stephanie or Erica or Nicole, I wasn't onboard the boat, I wasn't an eyewitness, and I find some of the comments made thus far absolutely appalling. For heavens' sake, the boat had barely - if at all - made it to Belmont before the speculating began.

Out of respect for the families and friends involved, I implore you, people: keep it to yourself or at least off of a public board, let the experts do their job and wait for their report, and wish the families condolences and prayers.

Just imagine how Mr. Beaudoin feels -- his Father's Day began with finding out his youngest child is dead. And how about Mr. Blizzard? His daughter is in critical condition from a boating accident..... and Mr. Shinepolus' daughter is injured as well................ have a little empathy, please.

I wish you all well, and hope that nothing ever happens to put your families or friends under the spotlight of speculation. It's not a pleasant place to be.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #63
Water Camper

Default Well Said Waterbaby

Well said! I can only hope that all who read your tread will truly understand what a difficult time this is for all the families involved and will leave them alone. WE weren't in the boat, WE don't know what happened.
Sue
Old 06-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #64
abaynewbie

This is a very tragic ACCIDENT. This is not the time to be judmental or speculative, it is the time to offer support, condolences and prayers to all those affected. Please show some sense of decency. The anguish these families are dealing with does not need to be intensified by the stupidness I've read here.

My thoughts and prayers to all those affected.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #65
Winni_Bay

Erica Blizzard is a vey high respected business woman. I wish her well and my heart goes out to the victims/families involved in this horrible tragedy. Lets all let it be and respect the victims/families involved in this horrible nightmare.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #66
lacey

Default Terrible tragedy

Thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved and their families.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #67
fatlazyless

Default ...someone stole my name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post

Talk about crass....Give the dead and injured their time and respect instead of briging up the speed limit debate! Remember....there but for the grade of God go I....

Hello Everyone - just saw this thread, and no it was not me who wrote and posted it in the Union Leader. Someone, acting in bad faith, chose to write up a very rude and nasty letter and post it in the UL, under the name of F L Less.

It's not me....didn't write it and most certainly do not appreciate this deceit.

To whoever crafted this act of deception and miss-statement, you must be very proud of yourself for spreading bad feelings at the hurtfull expense of others.

No doubt, this can be chaulked up as collateral damage from the long running topic in the 'other' boating thread.

Sympathies extended, at what must be a difficult time, to all close to the recent boat accident.

fll
Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #68
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

One time,several years ago,I was returning from a party on Bear Island late at night.Not a lot of drinking going on but people on board were having a good time after dinner and visiting friends. I grew up on the lake,but missed a marker and had to frantically reverse because I almost ran right into the Kona boathouse in the fog.
Erica is a skilled and experienced boater and knows the lake well.ANYONE can make a mistake or miss a marker.We need to show some support and understanding .She is a respected businesswoman who is loved by everyone who knows her and using this tragedy to express a point of view about speed limits or performance boats is twisted.I wish this site had a "ignore" feature like the chat rooms.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #69
robmac

I agree,untill the facts are out why is it so many want to further there own objectives? why not let the families grieve and find out what MP and the experts find out????????? Or is it in some groups interest to sully someones name and further an objective
Old 06-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #70
EricP

I was out on the lake at about 11PM Saturday night and it was lightly raining and very heavy cloud cover. Basically it was dark, very dark. I can say that it was the kind of night that would challenge even the most experenced boaters' knowledge of the lake.

I too think some folks here should be ashamed of their comments, especially given we have no facts. I sincerely hope we get to hear from Erica, as 1 life lost is 1 too many.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragic accident.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #71
Chris Craft

As some one that was involved in an accident similiar to this (snow mobile)were I lost one of my very closest friends, my heart goes out to the family of all those involved. This is going to hurt for some time but you will find comfort from your friends, religion, and family and you WILL get through it. Eventually you will move on with your life and things will start to normallize. You will never forget your friend and your memories will again become fond and put a smile back on your face. Forget what all the negative people have to say, best to probably just stay away from all the threads. People all have an agenda and can be down right cruel. God Bless
Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #72
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post
As some one that was involved in an accident similiar to this (snow mobile)were I lost one of my very closest friends, my heart goes out to the family of all those involved. This is going to hurt for some time but you will find comfort from your friends, religion, and family and you WILL get through it. Eventually you will move on with your life and things will start to normallize. You will never forget your friend and your memories will again become fond and put a smile back on your face. Forget what all the negative people have to say, best to probably just stay away from all the threads. People all have an agenda and can be down right cruel. God Bless
Nice job CC Everyone on all sides of the "how fast can I drive my boat" issue need to leave this story alone. Show some class and pray for these three families.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #73
Bear Islander

I'm afraid the press is not going to leave this story alone. I have just seen the report in the national Fox news.

Our "News" isn't news anymore, its sensationalism. Accuracy and relevance are not important.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #74
webmaster

Default NECN Report

Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #75
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If she was exceeding 6 MPH/no wake, speed was a factor. It's obvious the boat was closer to Diamond Island than 150'.
Dave nailed it here, 6 MPH was the limit.

It is a shame that this tragedy occurred- my prayers are with all of the familes involved.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #76
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Sad!!

http://www.legacy.com/Citizen/DeathN...onId=111728081
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #77
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Hello Everyone - just saw this thread, and no it was not me who wrote and posted it in the Union Leader. Someone, acting in bad faith, chose to write up a very rude and nasty letter and post it in the UL, under the name of F L Less.

It's not me....didn't write it and most certainly do not appreciate this deceit.

To whoever crafted this act of deception and miss-statement, you must be very proud of yourself for spreading bad feelings at the hurtfull expense of others.

No doubt, this can be chaulked up as collateral damage from the long running topic in the 'other' boating thread.

Sympathies extended, at what must be a difficult time, to all close to the recent boat accident.

fll
This may or may not be the case but it is exactly the type of post we have seen from FLL on a non-stop basis.Sorry,not buying this post at all.If the shoe fits.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #78
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This may or may not be the case but it is exactly the type of post we have seen from FLL on a non-stop basis.Sorry,not buying this post at all.If the shoe fits.
Based on his post and how the name was written in the paper- I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #79
fatlazyless

I obviously have no idea who wrote the letter from F L Less. One can imagine what their intent was.

What I do know, is that I absolutely - positively - absolutely did not write it!

As I said in my post from last night, someone acting in very bad faith crafted this nasty letter to the Union Leader and signed it F L Less.

It was not me!

With such a grave and serious accident that involves big injuries and death, it would be extremely rude and nasty. People have feelings! It is just totally out of good taste to be so disrespectfull.

On the human scale of importance, a grave boating accident emotionally outweighs a speed limit law by a million times......no comparision....

Again, please accept my condolences to all close to this boating accident!

I'm a boater too. Wave to me, and I'll wave back to you.

You know, I do not expect any apologies from anyone who wrote any of the nasty ghoulish replies about me. There was a terrible accident. People get very upset, and they see that nasty letter, and they assume it is real so they react in turn.

Let's just forget about that and move on.

Here's hoping the accident survivors will make a speedy & full recovery.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #80
Orion

Default Is it just me?

....but wouldn't a $350,000 boat be equipped with at least a $350 GPS?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #81
NHDOLFAN

I have been reading all the posts and the back and forth banter going on. Unfortunately, society allows us to form opinions without the need for facts. I was on the lake Saturday night around midnight. I must say that I would not have attempted to go anywhere that evening without GPS. Even with GPS, I was very cautious and traveling at a slow speed. It saddens me to think that someone with her experience would not have this technology at her disposal. Regardless of the side that you have choose to take, there is an innocent person no longer with us. Everyone is focused on the boat and what it looks like. What about the idea of the anchor being propelled into the side of the cottage on impact?

Best wishes to those involved as the pain will always be there.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #82
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
....but wouldn't a $350,000 boat be equipped with at least a $350 GPS?
Looks like it has a nice one, looks like a Raymarine C80 display and it is highly unlikely it came without a GPS antenna:

It may not have had the Winnipesaukee chart in it though. Can't say.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #83
kthy66

Im sure it had the proper electronics but like anything else accidents happen. It doesnt matter how well you know the lake; things are different at night. “familiarity breeds contempt”
GPS is not foolproof..

I wish the victims and their families a speedy healing
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #84
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I obviously have no idea who wrote the letter from F L Less. One can imagine what their intent was.

What I do know, is that I absolutely - positively - absolutely did not write it!

As I said in my post from last night, someone acting in very bad faith crafted this nasty letter to the Union Leader and signed it F L Less.

It was not me!

With such a grave and serious accident that involves big injuries and death, it would be extremely rude and nasty. People have feelings! It is just totally out of good taste to be so disrespectfull.

On the human scale of importance, a grave boating accident emotionally outweighs a speed limit law by a million times......no comparision....

You know, I do not expect any apologies from anyone who wrote any of the nasty ghoulish replies about me. There was a terrible accident. People get very upset, and they see that nasty letter, and they assume it is real so they react in turn.

Sorry FLL,I'm a little touchy right now.You have certainly made posts in the past along the same lines that lacked good taste.I accept your last post and hope you are sincere.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #85
SIKSUKR

Default Stephanies Obituary

I thought I would put a link to Stephanie's Obit from the Laconia Citizen Online.She really was a wonderful girl with the most infectious smile.God Bless.
http://www.legacy.com/Citizen/DeathN...onId=111728081
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #86
NHDOLFAN

I understand that a GPS is not fool proof. However, an ounce of caution can go a long way. Each year, I am baffled by the stupidity of people on the lake (tubing with young kids in the middle of the broads on a busy summer weekend is just 1 example). I'm not sure if I agree with the statement " accidents happen" as many of them can be prevented with patience.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #87
kthy66

It is what it is... ACCIDENTS do Happen regardless of whether there is someone acting foolishly or following all the rules..
You apparently believe that all accidents are due to people doing stupid things.. must be nice in your world.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #88
NHDOLFAN

Give me an example where an accident happens when someone is using common sense with patience. My world is a great place because I choose for it to be. Try reading the book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #89
kthy66

ok... your driving down the lake... a submerged floating object takes out your prop... who is being negligent causing this accident?

Your driving down the street... A rock gets kicked up from a car in front of you.. your windshield cracks.... who is being negligent causing this accident?

Try reading the book.. boating for dummies... I think it will do you some good
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #90
kthy66

BTW I will not respond to anymore of your inane posts... its disrespectful to the people involved in the ACCIDENT.. Go somewhere else and spew your hate and ridicule.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #91
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDOLFAN View Post
Give me an example where an accident happens when someone is using common sense with patience. My world is a great place because I choose for it to be. Try reading the book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.
Gee,there's a tough one.I walking on a path and a big branch of a tree suddenly breaks off and falls on me.Maybe I was lacking comman sense by walking near those trees and was not patient enough to wait for that tree to fall before walking by it.Hopefully,if you use all your comman sense,a tree does not drop on you.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #92
ITD

Quote:

It was not me!

I believe Less' statement here and want to apologize for calling him ghoulish. Less, that statement is still in that article, I would be outraged if someone did this to me. I suggest that you call the Union leader and ask them to remove it if you haven't already. I'm sure that the UL ip logs the responses it receives, maybe it would be possible to associate that IP with an IP used in this forum, who knows.

I still stand behind my ghoul statement for the person who wrote that response, no matter which side of the SL debate they are on and the others, who were waiting for this tragedy to say "see, I told you so".

I would also like to point out that hitting an immoveable object like a wall at 25 mph with a boat will cause massive damage and probably death. I would be very surprised if this boat was going over 25 mph. If you don't believe me, drive your car into a concrete abutment at 25 and see what happens.

Last edited by ITD; 06-17-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: changed they to you....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #93
parrothead

Default No seatbelts

Also don't wear a seat belt while driving into the abutment.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #94
kthy66

ITD... you are so right... I was thinking last night about what happens to a car in a low speed crash... I saw a picture of a corvette this morning that hit a wall at 30 MPH.. As you know corvettes are also all fiberglass... The car was crushed almost beyond recognition.
Got me thinking that this boat was not going that fast at all... probably less than 20 miles per hour... Had it been going at any significant speed there wouldnt have been anything left and there would have been much more significant damage to the underneath of the hull and not just the bow.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #95
NHDOLFAN

kthy66

those are examples of life and things that happen, not accidents. the only disrespect is you not understanding that everyone is entitled to an opinion. everything happens for a reason, so there is no accident! the reason sometimes is not as OBVIOUS as others.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #96
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
kthy66

those are examples of life and things that happen, not accidents. the only disrespect is you not understanding that everyone is entitled to an opinion. everything happens for a reason, so there is no accident! the reason sometimes is not as OBVIOUS as others.
What is the definition of the event in this article, if it wasn't an accident? God help the poor girl who was the victim of this falling rock - she did not cause this event. Of course there are accidents!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...had_to_happen/
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #97
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
Speed was an issue. His aunt is the deceased. The boat hit some rocks and went airborne?? and landed on or near shore. I only know that the families are grieving. The nephew is my future son in law and works at the Whining Butcher in Gilford.( not that that matters) I am not a boater but I have seen what speed can do whether it be a rock or tree or whatever. People kill people. It just brings me to tears. RIP
SIKSUKR, my condolences on the loss of your friend and my apologies for bringing this up; I thought I had already said all that I needed to say or that I was going to say in this thread but the quote above really angered me.

How can someone get "first hand" information from a deceased victim? I don't understand that. By now, we've all looked at the picture of the damaged boat in post #8; if that boat was "airborne??", why was the entire hull bottom not destroyed instead of just the first 8-12 feet of it as we see in the picture? Looking at that pic, I don't believe that for an instant! Imagine the force it would take to cause a 15,000 lb boat to become airborne!! People that admit to not being boaters should not be speculating; allow the professionals to investigate the accident and file their reports, based on their experience, expertise and knowledge.

DaveR, regarding your comment about speed being an issue since "obvious(ly) the boat was closer to Diamond Island than 150'," allow me to suggest to you that given the darkness, rain, fog and maybe an inaccurate GPS reading, Ms. Blizzard may have thought she was much further away from land than she actually was. We know GPS is not 100% accurate (it can vary as much as 50 ft) and there was also a report of another boater getting inaccurate readings in the same vicinity as this accident. There have been many comments about her abilities at the helm of a boat and I believe those comments; does anyone actually think a boater with that much experience would intentionally make a mistake like this?? I don't believe that. My thoughts are, she probably thought she knew exactly where she was, the only problem was, she was drastically mistaken. Yes, I know, I'm speculating myself. Enough said.

FatLazyLess, as much as I disagree with most of your comments on the speed limits threads, I believe you were being honest and sincere when you said you did not make the comment on the Union Leader article. I just felt it was important for you to know that I believed you and, setting the speed limit issue aside, we can all agree this was a very tragic accident.

Finally, my thoughts and condolences go out to all the families of the victims and to the friends of the victims that have lost someone so near and dear to them.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #98
kthy66

Quote:
kthy66

like i said,,, it must be nice in your world
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #99
NHDOLFAN

Cool

half empty or half full, it's a simple choice with profound outcomes. the decision is yours and only yours!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #100
kthy66

I came across Dr. Rock's story at the accident scene. Thank goodness he was there.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...PAGE/806170304
Closed Thread