Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Marine Patrol

Default Marine Patrol Issues Hurricane Precautions

Please see a copy of a press released issued by Marine Patrol regarding this weekend's storm. My assignment during Hurricane Bob in '91 was from Ellacoya to Winter Harbor, south to the tip of Alton Bay. As a result, I witnessed a tremendous amount of property damage that could have been avoided with just a little effort on behalf of the owners.

Please take the time to check your lines and MOORING CHAINS!!! The chain at the anchor often wears paper thin after months of use. The weakest links will be on the bottom...not at the surface. Also consider putting a name and contact information on your swim floats/rafts/rowboats/kayaks/canoes/etc., Marine Patrol has decals available at their headquarters in Glendale designed specifically for this purpose.

Lastly, thanks to Don for allowing me to use this forum as an outlet for this information. Marine Patrol will be on the water throughout the storm.

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
NH Marine Patrol

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol is issuing warnings to the users of our inland waters as Hurricane Irene approaches New England. As weather experts continue to update us on the storm’s path, now is the time for property owners and visitors to take the necessary precautions in order to avoid the dangers of a storm of this magnitude.

Island residents should be considering their individual needs. Persons living on an island should consider temporary lodging on the mainland, especially those with existing medical conditions. All residents need to be reminded that emergency response to islands may be significantly delayed during weather events of this nature. In addition, water conditions may make it impossible to access your frontage directly and may require emergency services to travel across an island in order to reach your residence. Also for consideration is the ability to leave an island if conditions become severe. If a person finds themselves wanting to leave mid-storm, they should not expect that transportation will be available from emergency responders.

Anyone boating this weekend should plan for deteriorating conditions as the weekend progresses. If boating during stormy conditions can’t be avoided, officials urge all persons aboard to wear a life jacket. In the event your boat capsizes or swamps, all persons should stay with the boat until help arrives.

Shorefront property owners should also take the necessary steps to secure small row boats, kayaks, canoes, sailboats, etc. and ensure that all docks, lines/ ropes and mooring chains (underwater at the anchor) are in serviceable condition. This equipment is often worn or in disrepair after a long summer season. Expected high winds and extreme water conditions will ultimately lead to damaged or destroyed boats, swim floats, docks, and other waterfront property.

Please continue to monitor weather forecasts and local news outlets for updated information. In the event of an emergency, Marine Patrol can be reached by calling 911.
Marine Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Marine Patrol For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-26-2011), chipj29 (08-26-2011), DRH (08-27-2011), Drummer Girl (08-27-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (08-25-2011), gslpro (08-25-2011), hancoveguy (08-25-2011), ishoot308 (08-25-2011), Jeanzb1 (08-25-2011), Jonas Pilot (08-25-2011), ladyslipper (08-27-2011), Lakegeezer (08-26-2011), lakershaker (08-26-2011), Major problem (08-26-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (08-25-2011), Resident 2B (08-25-2011), rrr (08-26-2011), webmaster (08-25-2011), Whimsey (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
This'nThat

Default Thanks - but be safe yourselves

While it's comforting to know the Marine Patrol will be there to help and assist, it's a little discomforting to know that you're going to be on the water during the storm. Be safe; and we all hope we don't end up in situations that put you at risk.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-25-2011), GTO (08-25-2011), Winnisquamguy (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
livefreeordie

Winds look to be coming from the south with gusts to 90mph. I thought my boat would be protected but from the south its a whole new ball game.
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Better Safe than Sorry

Pulled my personal boat out today, Stored inside my garage. I'd rather find out I didn't need to take it out, than get a call mid storm that I have a problem!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote