Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
pasquaney

Default boat launch and parking

My family has a home on Birch Island and we only recently started renting it out last year. Things worked out fine for the renters bringing their boats because we had a Glendale Marina guest pass. They were able to launch their boats and park their car and trailer there. This year there are some problems with the guest pass and that will probably not be an option. Are there any other places where our renters can launch their boat and park their cars and trailers?

Thanks for the help!
pasquaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquaney View Post
My family has a home on Birch Island and we only recently started renting it out last year. Things worked out fine for the renters bringing their boats because we had a Glendale Marina guest pass. They were able to launch their boats and park their car and trailer there. This year there are some problems with the guest pass and that will probably not be an option. Are there any other places where our renters can launch their boat and park their cars and trailers?

Thanks for the help!
Is Birch Island in Gilford?? If so I believe they can still park their vehicle in the upper levels at the town docks with a town guest pass and park their trailer across from Fays at the skating rink parking lot. What the town is not allowing is non Gilford residents or guest pass vehicles overnight parking with trailers. In order to park overnight with a trailer in lot #4 you must have a Gilford town sticker on your vehicle.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 06-08-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Marker42

Thumbs up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

your correct ishoot308. They just need the more expensive park and launch pass vs the park only pass. I bought both to be safe.
Marker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Question ....28 pages!

While down there at the Marine Patrol getting my boat registered, I took a walk around the Gilford docks and was looking at the 15 different MP boats at the docks. Anyway, attached to one of the supports of the public dock roof cover, the town has conveniently placed give-a-way sets of parking & use instructions in a holder, there. You know I was just a little surprised to see the parking & use rules are a double-sided, 8 1/2 x 11" paper, 14 page document for a total of 28 pages......egad........!

Before making a commitment to park your car there at the Glendale docks, it is probably a good decision to consult with a parking-rules attorney first.....!

Parking made serious here.......28 pages of parking & use rules.......my my my.........!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Cool 28 pages.....

Thanks to the demands of the Gilford Island Owners Association.........

When my family was living in Gilford, we enjoy using the Glendale docks. Now the non-island property owners can not enjoy the docks or the parking lot.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 06-09-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Add a comment.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
If so I believe they can still park their vehicle in the upper levels at the town docks with a town guest pass and park their trailer across from Fays at the skating rink parking lot.
Dan
I have not heard about this option of parking your trailer across from Fays.Is this totally legit and would you need another type of pass or sticker to be displayed on the trailer?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Thanks to the demands of the Gilford Island Owners Association.........

When my family was living in Gilford, we enjoy using the Glendale docks. Now the non-island property owners can not enjoy the docks or the parking lot.
Broadhopper;

I believe any Gilford resident with a residency sticker on his vehicle is allowed to use the town docks and parking lot.

Chapter 15.4.1 of the "Glendale Facility Regulations" which states..." The Glendale facility consists of a boat launch, docks, parking areas and ancillary facilities that are owned maintained and regulated by the town of Gilford for use by Gilford residents, residential property owners and their guests along with commercial entities that are located in Gilford and provide marine related services on behalf of Gilford taxpayers".

So if your family is still living in Gilford I see no issue... If they are not, then yes i see your concern.

Dan
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Unhappy

Quote:
Broadhopper;

I believe any Gilford resident with a residency sticker on his vehicle is allowed to use the town docks and parking lot.

Chapter 15.4.1 of the "Glendale Facility Regulations" which states..." The Glendale facility consists of a boat launch, docks, parking areas and ancillary facilities that are owned maintained and regulated by the town of Gilford for use by Gilford residents, residential property owners and their guests along with commercial entities that are located in Gilford and provide marine related services on behalf of Gilford taxpayers".

So if your family is still living in Gilford I see no issue... If they are not, then yes i see your concern.

Dan
The issue is the amount of dock space reserved for non-island property owners. You need an island sticker to dock your boat for more than 3 hours. The 3 hour limit dock is almost always full on weekends. You can not dock on the island limited docks even if it is empty.

As for parking and trailering, the island resident usually takes up most of the space on weekends. I usually have to dock my boat, if there is space, drive back to my Gilford property and walk back to the dock.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
ishoot308

Default It's Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I have not heard about this option of parking your trailer across from Fays.Is this totally legit and would you need another type of pass or sticker to be displayed on the trailer?
Siksukr;

Yes this is legit. It is used for people who wish to park their boat trailers overnight. No pass on trailer is required that I know of. Only vehicles with a town decal can park overnight on level 4 with a trailer. Guest pass vehicles are not allowed to do this and therefore must park trailers at skating rink. Yes, it can be confusing!!

Dan
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Island Life

Quote:
Is Birch Island in Gilford?? If so I believe they can still park their vehicle in the upper levels at the town docks with a town guest pass and park their trailer across from Fays at the skating rink parking lot.

Dan
The lot near the skating rink that is open to trailers is always full. This year I took a look in before Memorial Day Weekend and, sure enough, it was already full. This was mid-week, which tells me these are not weekenders but summer folks who launch their boats and then store their trailers in that lot the entire summer. Guess you need to get there at ice-out to get a spot for your trailer.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
The lot near the skating rink that is open to trailers is always full. This year I took a look in before Memorial Day Weekend and, sure enough, it was already full. This was mid-week, which tells me these are not weekenders but summer folks who launch their boats and then store their trailers in that lot the entire summer. Guess you need to get there at ice-out to get a spot for your trailer.
That was one of the issues brought up at a selectmen meeting. Islanders that store trailers all summer. I can see no reason why they can't bring the trailers home for the summer. One response from an island resident is that the island is their home for the summer. It has been a constant battle with the islanders getting what they want.

I have seen trailers park there all winter. Makes me think it is also a dumping ground for islanders that no longer need a trailer.