Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Collins' Ice House

I would like to pose another question on local history.

George A. Collins (1868-1934) was a prominent man in Lakeport during his lifetime. He owned Collins’ Drug Store on Elm Street (now Wanda’s Beauty Shop) and later opened one in Laconia, as well. He purchased the Bear Island House in 1909 and operated it until he sold it in 1922. He was also president of the McDuff Machine Co. on Gold Street (marine engines) and I understand he owned an ice house on Paugus Bay. I have been trying to ascertain whether the ice house owned by Collins was the one on Cass Point in Lakeport. Any historians out there who might know this bit of information? There were several on Paugus - the large one of the Independent Ice Co., the Rudzinski ice house next to it and one near the Weirs Channel. There may have been others.

Thanks for your help.
Chickie
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Have You Seen the Images of America Series?

Do you have or have you been to a library to check out the book Lakeport by Warren D. Huse? It is part of the series of books called Images of America.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Chickie

Default Collins' Ice House

Yes, I have a copy of Warren's book on Lakeport. It is certainly a wonderful resource with the combination of old photos and the information he has written about them. His weekly column is also a wealth of information and I read it religiously. It is very well done and I know he puts a lot of time and effort into it.

Another interesting book is "Lakeport's Ancient Homes" by Maj. John Aldrich published in 1917. There are recollections and photos of the homes which were in Lakeport when Maj. Aldrich came to Lake Village as a young man in 1844. A few of those homes are still standing today, although most have met the fate of the wrecking ball.

I find local history fascinating. We walk in the footsteps of those who walked these same paths so many years ago.

Chickie
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote