Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
masssteve

Question sea-tow or tow boat usa?

Unfortunalty I had the opportunity to run out of gas for the first time this week in many years of boating. After paying $150 to have 7 gallons of fuel delivered to me and after I kicked myself for be so stupid, I was looking into signing up with one of the tow services. Who is better for service, cost, plans, etc? Just in case I have another day that I loose my brain. Thanks!
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
gator8

Default Boat Towing Insurance

I have had Boat US for several years and because my boat breaks down alot I have had to call on their services several times. I have always been happy with their response time and they have always done a good job either getting me pack to the dock or bringing me out some gas. I would recommend them.
gator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
jrc

I have Boat US, but I've never had to use it. Boat US offers offer stuff like rebates on store purchases. According to the website Boat US (Towboat US) runs out of Gilford. Can't tell where SeaTow is, but looks likes Meredith. SeaTow seems more expensive, especially if you don't need unlimited coverage.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
Dan McCafferty

Default Sea Tow

Although I have never had to use my BoatUS subscription when it was time to renew I chose Sea Tow.

As soon as I did, I needed their service.

I cannot imagine better service. Dan, the owner is a true professional with years of formal Coast Guard experience

Lastly, he is a local guy who is building his franchise from scratch so your business is very much appreciated by him. I know! One fee covers every vessel registered to you.
Dan McCafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
KBoater

Default Boat US is West Marina??

I understand that West Marine bought Boat US. I'm not sure if this is only in Florida.
I have had Sea-Tow in Florida and one of the advantages of the membership is that it can go with you if your are the captain.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
jrc

West Marine bought the BoatUS stores and online store. A BoatUS card still gets the rebate at BoatUS and now at West Marine. West Marine does not own the other BoatUS services, things like towing, financing and insurance.

As for multiple boats, this is from the website: "TowBoatU.S. Service applies to you and any recreational boat owned, borrowed or chartered by you..."

BTW I'm not trying to sell either company. Actually it's better for all of us to have two strong companies fighting for our business. That should keep the service up and the prices down.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
jkt

Default Towboatus

Dan From Towboatus Is Also A Local Guy That Started From Scratch.he Has Been In The Marine Business Since The Early 80's. He Started Nh Mobile Marine (located At Silversands) Seven Or Eight Years Ago, Starting Towing 5 Years Ago, And Has Been Providing Towboatus For The Past Four Years. I've Heard Them Talking Over The Radio With Each Other And It Appears That They Work Together Very Well. Hats Off To Both Of Them For Being There For The Boaters!
jkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #8
michael

The big difference between SeaTow and Boat US is; If you are at your dock, boat does not start, and need a tow to a marina mechanic, Boat US does not cover you, because you are already safely at you dock; regardless of whether your boat will start or not. SeaTow will tow you where you most need to be; I believe unlimited for something like a $120 or $130. bucks for the year, regardless of where your boat is located ( in the Country).
I have been a Boat US member for some 16 years, but signed up with SeaTow during the Winni fishing Derby ( I believe it was $116., but need to check my visa statement).
This guy Dan was giving free towing during the Derby. Promotion or not it got my attention, and I looked into it ( checked the fine print in my Boat US insurance package)
I have never needed assistance on the Lake, but it is nice to know if my alternator goes, and I do not realize my batteries are "dead" until the next morning, I can get towed to a mechanic.
my two cents,
michael

Last edited by michael; 07-04-2004 at 04:59 PM.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default Sea Tow/Boat US

After what I heard this weekend I'd not go with Boat US.
A boat was broken down on the lake. He had Boat US coverage, Boat US responded to the call and was helping him. Whan the call came in about the accident on the broads the Boat US boat left him stranded and went out to the accident on the broads.
I was at the accident on the broads all they did was sit around the boat for hours finally towing it into West Alton to be righted around midnight.
Stranded boater had to call Channel to get rescued.
How do you leave a boat stranded and not at least tow him into a public dock?
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Thanks for sharing that story,Belmont.I was unsure which one to go with,because I use my boat in Florida.as well as NH.But after listening to you,I'm definately going to give Seatow a try.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
KBoater

Default Seatow

Seatow is a good choice if you are on the Gulf side of Florida. Their coverage is great where I am.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

If I boated on the coast I'd probably consider it myself.
But I believe in the old saying what comes around goes around. I've helped out several boaters over the years on the lake. Hope if i ever need it the favor is returned.
And yes Mr. Negative Mad$%^&# I drive a performance boat. Go figure...
Old 07-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Belmont Resident

I will have to say that the information that I received was second hand.
I received a message informing me that was not what happened.
The person I received the info from seemed to know the fact's but could have gotten them wrong. Towboat US seems to think so???
If they turn out not to be the truth then I apologize for the misprint of information.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 07-05-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:30 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default What goes around comes around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident
If I boated on the coast I'd probably consider it myself.
But I believe in the old saying what comes around goes around.
Well said,Belmont resident. I was helped ,last year, after breaking down ,off Capriva Island on the Gulf coast.The guy wouldn't take a penny.I promised myself that no matter what I was doing,that I would help any boat that needed assistance
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #15
John A. Birdsall

Default tow

I am glad that as a kid with a boat on Lake Winn. growing up I did not have to pay for a tow. I had been towed many times when I ran out of gas. I also was known to tow others too. Charge? never happen, the lake was like a bunch of neighbors helping neighbors not a bunch of law suits looking to happen.

And with my current boat, I had to be towed because my steering let go. I am glad that I had a good neighbor to help.

Times have changed, and I cannot say for the better.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote