Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Wolfeboro Matt

Default De-winterizing

I had my O/B professionally winterized last fall (which is basically having all the water drained and getting it "fogged"). I've heard that I merely need to start her up, let the "fog" (whatever that is) burn of, and then replace the plugs. Is it really that easy? I tried it myself a few years back, but it made so much smoke I was worried I wasn't doing it correctly. I had a full tune up last spring so am thinking I could skip this year...

Thanks!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Steve

That's pretty much it. The smoke is the fogging oil burning off...
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default dewinterizing

That's all there is, I think. Me, I have a 9.9, 40, 40, 90, & 150 outboards, all two-strokes and am a do-it-myselfer. All that smoke on first start-up is expected as it is the fogging oil, a thick sticky oil that coats the insides, getting burned up with the gasoline. New spark plugs can be had for $2.94 at Wal-Mart or better quality NPG or Champions at a Marina or if you're like me, just clean off last years' plug w/ an electric wire brush and motor one more season. Replacing the waterpump impeller is the next item and that can usually wait for three seasons or so between replacement. Best to stay away from old Evinrudes that have that VRO, variable ratio oil, combined oil-fuel, pump. It just so happens that I have a '93 Rude 40hp, remote throttle, single owner outboard for sale for the bargain basement price of $950., perfect for someone who wants to tinker w/ a VRO. So far, Shep Browns and Goodhue Marine in Ctr Hbr have tried and have struck out.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up That's all there is to it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
That's all there is, I think. Me, I have a 9.9, 40, 40, 90, & 150 outboards, all two-strokes and am a do-it-myselfer. All that smoke on first start-up is expected as it is the fogging oil, a thick sticky oil that coats the insides, getting burned up with the gasoline. New spark plugs can be had for $2.94 at Wal-Mart or better quality NPG or Champions at a Marina or if you're like me, just clean off last years' plug w/ an electric wire brush and motor one more season.
As said above that's all there is to it. If the OB is new and the plugs are as well, you might get by with doing nothing else. Otherwise a plug cleaning is desirable (need not be on day 1). If FLL is correct then I wouldn't bother to clean, just replace the plugs. Only thing to be careful about is not to over-torque the plugs when you tighten them down.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:17 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default de-winterizing

Some anti-seize compound, this silver metallic stuff-in-a-tube from the parts store or oil on the threads is definately needed otherwise they may not unscrew later on.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2004, 07:37 AM   #6
madrasahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Some anti-seize compound, this silver metallic stuff-in-a-tube from the parts store or oil on the threads is definately needed otherwise they may not unscrew later on.
Anti-seize compound shouldn't be used on spark plugs in aluminum heads.

I've heard (but never experienced) a "ground deficit" (misfiring) can be caused by anti-seize. Modern plugs are supposed to come with a pre-coating suitable for installation "out-of-the-box".
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
KBoater

Default 4 Stroke

Is a 4 stoke the same? Do I just start it up?
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
Arby

Default Dewinterizing

I've been boating on the lake for over 25 years and I have yet to pay to have my boat "dewinterized." Honestly, I had not even heard the term used until a few years ago. I've found that with the newer high energy ignitions, that I don't even have to change my spark plugs each year. Once the fogging oil burns off and I take the boat out for a ride, there is absolutely no change in the way the boat runs after I change the spark plugs. I will never pay to "dewinterize!"
Bye the way, I do my own winterizing and basic maintenance on my boat - it's much easier to work on than the newer cars.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
KBoater

Talking Pickling

In Florida when you put up your boat for the summer it is called "PICKLING". I'm not sure if the fall process is called de-pickling. Even the locals have a problem with that term.

I have pickled one boat and de-winterized another so I'm ready for summer. It sounds like I can just start the 4 stroke.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote