Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Christmas Island-demolition?

I read that Chrismas Island Club, which I assume is the motel, will be demolished and new "lake style" duplexes will be built.... anyone know more?
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
PaugusBayFireFighter

I noticed they had "THANK YOU" on their billboard out front. The Christmas Island Steakhouse is not part of the demolition. As of today, there is no activity on the motel grounds.
I think I just lost my boat launch
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

Nothing on the website except "we are closing for the season Sept 25.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Woodsy

I am afraid this rumour is true. I cant elaborate at this time, but its a pretty sure bet the motel is going to be no more....

Woodsy
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
AC2717

all the motel buildings? or just the main one?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
AC2717

this is another item that will further reduce business in the area because no they will be come 2nd homes, which is not a bad thing, but places more of a burden that the weirs area needs to be upgraded and made a tourist destination once again for revenue,
Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
donnamatrix

Default duplexes replace Christmas Island

I read some of the details on a website that reports design/construction RFPs, etc. I think it will be both buildings, not the restaurant. My hubby and have stayed at CI, used the boat launch - this was more than 10 years ago, but still. I agree that transmogrifying the property from motel to 2nd homes will lower business in the Weirs. What is going to replace the burned out rat trap that was finally demolished?
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default New Building

The old motel is being torn down and 18 new condos are being built.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The old motel is being torn down and 18 new condos are being built.
That's exactly what I heard about 4 weeks ago on the Roche radio program on Sat mornings.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
PaugusBayFireFighter

In case anybody is interested, I live just up the road from the motel. There were 3 of these trucks taking items out of the office and rooms. The lettering on the truck says "Deja Vu...Furniture and More...We buy and sell most everything...Hotel/Motel liquidators"...This pretty much confirms any rumors. Since this new development is at the end of my street, I'm hoping whatever they build is pleasing to the eye. I'll miss the old motel, but that's what it was, an old motel.
Time marches on!
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
In case anybody is interested, I live just up the road from the motel. There were 3 of these trucks taking items out of the office and rooms. The lettering on the truck says "Deja Vu...Furniture and More...We buy and sell most everything...Hotel/Motel liquidators"...This pretty much confirms any rumors. Since this new development is at the end of my street, I'm hoping whatever they build is pleasing to the eye. I'll miss the old motel, but that's what it was, an old motel.
Time marches on!
Deja Vu is in Londonderry right off exit 4. Sells used furniture and accessories.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
PaugusBayFireFighter

In case there were any doubts!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
RailroadJoe

Take your photos before it is too late. Things change quickly.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Simon

from the Laconia Daily Sun:

LACONIA — The Christmas Island Resort on Paugus Bay has recently been sold, announced Roche Realty Group, which represented both the sellers and buyers of the property. The buyers plan to tear down the existing structures and construct luxury townhouses in their place.
Included in the transaction was a 45-room motel, consisting of several buildings on Weirs Boulevard. The buildings sit on 3.2 acres of land, including approximately 1,000 feet of shorefront on Paugus Bay and 16 individual docks.
The resort was constructed and owned by Phil Roux in the late 1950s and early 1960s. In addition to the brick structures, other amenities included beaches, stonewalls, a boat launch, courts for volleyball and shuffleboard, and an indoor, heated pool.
According to listing agent John Ganong, the seller of the property was Christmas Island Motel Corporation, Thomas Roux President.
"Tom did a great job in operating and maintaining this fine resort for many years," said Ganong before adding that the Christmas Island Steakhouse was not included in the sale. The restaurant will continue to operate.
Joe Macdonald and Steve Welch, the selling agents for Roche Realty Group, reported that the buyer of the property is Lakehouse at Christmas Island LLC. Robert and Ralph Meisner and Romeo Lacasse are the developers and Ben Lacasse will be the project manager. The existing resort will be demolished and replaced with a luxury 18-unit townhouse community called Lake House at Christmas Island.
The townhouse community will be clustered along the shoreline. Each of the townhomes will feature panoramic views overlooking Paugus Bay and will be sited along the shoreline with individual deeded boat slip included.
Frank Roche, president of Roche Realty Group said, "This is real exciting news for the Lakes Region. Where can you find 18-new luxury townhouses, each with their own deeded boat slips sitting right on the water with 1,000 feet of shorefront? New construction activity has been picking up all over the country and the timing of this waterfront community in the Lakes Regions could not be better. This is one of the largest resort sales that have taken place in the recent years here in our area and Roche Realty represented both the seller and buyers in the sale."
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:
Red apple (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
GsChinadoll

Default Less weekly tourists

Let me start off with the fact that I own a condo at the lake. That being said, this is why businesses have a hard time around the lake because of fewer and fewer weekday visitors/vacationers and more and more condo owners that only show up on the weekends, do their shopping at home and spend very little in the area aside from the occasional dining out. Not a good business plan for these towns, just saying. Maybe if most of these associations didn't forbid renting out to strangers it would make sense but I know most condo owners don't want strangers around when most of the units are empty during the week. Not like the "old days" when all of the cottages around were bustling with families.
Winnisquamguy (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It is true, the Lakes Region has become much more of a second home area than a tourist area.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Second home owners here in the lakes region must be good for the super-market and pharmacy business at www.hannafords.com becuz Hannaford's has big stores around the lakes region in Alton, Gilford, Meredith and Plymouth; and Hannaford's is a part of the www.delhaizegroup.com in Belgium.

Yum......u-know they have some danged good peanut butter with that Smucker's Natural Chunky for about 3.18/jar. and everytime I buy some, I like to think how I am helping this lakes region economy, plus you can get six gallons of drinking water at the Gilford store for just a $1.50 if you bring your own water jug..........yahooo! Could be that water in their Gilford vending machine actually originates from the Laconia water works on Paugus Bay next to Irwins.....so this helps out Laconia too, big-time!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
4 for Boating

Default Sign?

Anyone know what's to be done with the large tree shaped sign?
Would love to re-purpose this > are they going to leave it as part of the new development or get rid of it?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
RailroadJoe

Best to check with them before it gets demolished also.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
PaugusBayFireFighter

Lots of huge trees being removed from the property as well as gutting of the buildings. It will be nice to get rid of the old eyesore and see some modern town houses and landscaping. I know the old motel has a history but it's time to evolve.
It was good to see the Laconia FD get to do some training on ventilation and search and rescue in the vacant buildings. They also had some small live burns, which really surprised me.
There are still 3 buildings that will remain, two on the footprint and the house on Pixie Island. I believe the steakhouse has been sold but will remain. Tony is staying on as the chef.