Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
greeleyhill

Default Your Thoughts on Security Cameras at a Rental Property

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on security cams at a rental property. I got an outdoor security cam for Christmas and was going to put it on our front porch and point it out towards the driveway and street. I'm wondering how our renters might feel about that. Reason for doing it is to see if our garbage cans are all over the street, if the driveway has been cleared of snow and to see who is coming and going. If we rent the house to a party of 8, why are 25 people showing up...that kind of thing. What are your thoughts?
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on security cams at a rental property. I got an outdoor security cam for Christmas and was going to put it on our front porch and point it out towards the driveway and street. I'm wondering how our renters might feel about that. Reason for doing it is to see if our garbage cans are all over the street, if the driveway has been cleared of snow and to see who is coming and going. If we rent the house to a party of 8, why are 25 people showing up...that kind of thing. What are your thoughts?
I would think it is your property so you can do as you choose. I would put it in the ad for your place that you have security cameras outside. I think most people would not mind and it would keep the not so honest people away. Now inside would be a different story.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
codeman671

We had cameras installed at our island property. We shut them off when renters were there, and I made it a point to show them it being powered off when I was checking them in so that they weren't creeped out (we did have a camera inside as well as over the hot tub).

I don't necessarily think that in some cases having outside cameras running would be bad. We did have 1 group that turned the place into animal house- many more than were contracted for, puking off the deck, etc, and had I seen it on my cameras I probably would have come up and kicked them out. It turns out they were paid back in the end though, they not only lost their security deposit due to damage, but also hit a boat at the marina with their rental boat then proceeded to run it over the rocks and wrecked the outdrive.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (01-18-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
we did have a camera inside as well as over the hot tub.
Inside the hot tub huh?

We would need to review HD pictures from these cameras to make proper determination as to whether or not they would be appropriate to leave on when renters arrive, or suggest different camera angles for better visability
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-12-2017), CGI3 (01-13-2017), Closetzguy (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Inside the hot tub huh?

We would need to review HD pictures from these cameras to make proper determination as to whether or not they would be appropriate to leave on when renters arrive, or suggest different camera angles for better visability
LOL

Inside the house and over the hot tub! I'd be happy to put one inside the tub and climb in myself if you like...I hope you are into 45 year old overweight guys!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
LOL

Inside the house and over the hot tub! I'd be happy to put one inside the tub and climb in myself if you like...I hope you are into 45 year old overweight guys!
... on second thought maybe not!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
The Real BigGuy

Two things:

1) if you are that concerned about what happens when you are renting your property that you fell you need cameras then you probably need to rethink the whole renting thing.

2) Legally, you probably need to disclose the fact that there are cameras before you ask someone to sign a rental agreement.

For what it's worth, no way I'd rent a place with active cameras. Vet me all you want before and have a hefty security deposit but,the week it is rented to me, it's mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (01-11-2017), Dog's Ear (01-23-2017), garysanfran (01-11-2017), ishoot308 (01-11-2017), KennyFromBoston (01-11-2017), Winnigirl (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Two things:

1) if you are that concerned about what happens when you are renting your property that you fell you need cameras then you probably need to rethink the whole renting thing.

2) Legally, you probably need to disclose the fact that there are cameras before you ask someone to sign a rental agreement.

For what it's worth, no way I'd rent a place with active cameras. Vet me all you want before and have a hefty security deposit but,the week it is rented to me, it's mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The whole camera thing is taking over our society. Very sad!
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
pondguy (01-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Privacy

I have a tenant (single family home, multi-year lease) who wanted a security system for when he travels. Fine. He pays for it and it is mine when he leaves.
I can't imagine the invasion of privacy issues if I am watching over a tenant's shoulder. "I want to see if there is garbage or snow in the driveway" is going to sound pretty weak when you see something you don't like and rush over to give the tenant "what for." and then find yourself on the wrong side of a peeping tom or invasion or privacy suit. You need specific legal advice, not anecdotal stuff on the internet.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
You need specific legal advice, not anecdotal stuff on the internet.
+ 10
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
The whole camera thing is taking over our society. Very sad!
If the world was free of criminals we wouldn't need cameras. But we all know that will never happen.
I just got a 2 camera set for Xmass also. I haven't set it up yet but I don't rent so that's not an issue.
A friend of mine is selling his home and has moved out. He checks on it once a week but when he checked it last week he found a squatter had broken the back door and moved himself in. The guy was doing his laundry when he walked in on him!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Cameras are allowed anywhere there is not an expected right of privacy.

A renter should expect privacy inside the house but not outside. If you installed cameras inside a rental home and did not tell the tenants you would open yourself to a host of legal issues. Even if you put a sign in the house that video monitoring was in progress you could still face legal action.

Businesses can film in most places, but not in a changing room or bathroom stall where someone would expect privacy.

It's a new world. Wherever you go in a public place you should assume that you are being filmed.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
Pine Island Guy

Default well... sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
It's a new world. Wherever you go in a public place you should assume that you are being filmed.
speaking of "new world"... the word "film" will be a thing of the past... kids growing up now would say "what is film?"...

Just a little winter humor while we wait for ice... -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
KPW (01-13-2017), TiltonBB (01-13-2017), upthesaukee (01-13-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #14
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
speaking of "new world"... the word "film" will be a thing of the past... kids growing up now would say "what is film?"...

Just a little winter humor while we wait for ice... -PIG
Hey just when you thought LPs were a thing of the past..... not so fast. They are still making records today. Maybe digital mastering is just to perfect for some. A little pop and hiss with the music adds a sophisticated richness to the sound for some, along with their sipping brandy and fine cigars.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
noreast (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
Pine Island Guy

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Hey just when you thought LPs were a thing of the past..... not so fast. They are still making records today. Maybe digital mastering is just to perfect for some. A little pop and hiss with the music adds a sophisticated richness to the sound for some, along with their sipping brandy and fine cigars.
Funny you should mention that... on the top of my son's Christmas list was a turntable... a TURNTABLE?!?!

25 years ago I donated to a church rummage sale all my old vinyl.. including original Beatles albums on Capitol Records before they moved to Apple... still makes me feel sick haha

Come on ICE -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
garysanfran

Default The squatter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If the world was free of criminals we wouldn't need cameras. But we all know that will never happen.
I just got a 2 camera set for Xmass also. I haven't set it up yet but I don't rent so that's not an issue.
A friend of mine is selling his home and has moved out. He checks on it once a week but when he checked it last week he found a squatter had broken the back door and moved himself in. The guy was doing his laundry when he walked in on him!
Is he still alive?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Is he still alive?
My friend or the squatter? They are both alive but one is in jail. The sad part about this is it was a homeless veteran.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
wifi

Surprised your friend paid for and left the power on, enabling the squatter to do his laundry.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Surprised your friend paid for and left the power on, enabling the squatter to do his laundry.
You can't turn off the power in the winter when you're trying to sell a home.