Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
winnipiseogee

Default Meredith Post Office

Let me preface this by saying that the individuals who work at the post office seem perfectly pleasant and nice. That said...

Rarely have I seen a business more poorly run. I saw online at USPS.com that the Meredith post office had been holding my package for days and it was ready for pick up. The post office however told me that they had no package and any information provided by USPS.com is inaccurate. After a long discussion that got me no where I gave up and grabbed the mail from my PO box.

Of course 3 of the envelopes in my box had been delivered to the wrong address (and that is a very, very common occurrence). Which makes me think in all likelihood my package was simply mis-delivered.

So my question is this - Are all post offices this bad right now or is it just the Meredith Post office?
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Pineedles

Hey you could be living in Canada and be facing no home delivery in the next 5 years.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
jumpin Joe (01-14-2014)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Jeanzb1

I don't think it's an uncommon experience at all. Last week a package that was long overdue went missing. "No further tracking information is available" is what it said online. And, yes, the address was 100 percent correct. Then yesterday I received an email saying a package I placed with a different company was returned to them. I called and said to please resend because, again, the address was correct. What's going on?????

One other complaint I have is that the Lakeport (Laconia) post office is closed every day from 1:15 to 2:30 so that the postal lady can have lunch. That's a very long lunch break. Yup, even the week before Christmas! Totally unacceptable, IMHO. And then the postal service wonders why they are running in the red?????
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default That depends..

Alton Post Office often has no one at the "window" so you have to ring a buzzer to get help. Help may come right away, or it may take a minute or two, or several minutes; sometimes you will hear a voice acknowledge that you are out there waiting.

Now the Alton Bay PO is small, and with the new window hours of 12 noon to 4PM M-F and 8-12 on Sat, you can get the clerks attention. However, with the shortened hours, the mail doesn't necessarily get up as quick as it used to (I got Thurs Baysider on Sat, but it is not 1st class mail).

When I get a package that is being delivered by USPS, and it is coming Priority, I get the tracking number. I have had situations where I saw it was at the PO for delivery, went there and was told it was not. Went home and got the tracking # and low and behold, there it was on the floor.

I find the USPS site to be accurate. If it has been received by the PO and shown out for delivery, it is there.

If you have a lot of problems, contact the regional USPS office, which I believe is now down in Manchester. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
garysanfran

Default The problem is coast-to-coast...

Standing in line for 30 mins. last week with 11 people in front of me and one person at the counter. The lady at the head of the line had about 15 boxes. Each one needing separate instructions for insurance, mode of transport, etc. The other two "workers" were on break - union rules.

The experience of the old Soviet Union bread lines, described to me in my early grade school days, is alive and well in America's post offices.

Yup... Go on your coffee break. Don't worry. Those "customers" will still be here when you return!

Never get fired. Never break a sweat.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
MeredithMan

Default I only go to the P.O. as a last resort....

The P.O. in our town here in CT is horrible. The building is not that old, but the lobby is dirty and dingy. The line is always out the door, as the postal people are pathetically slow and will routinely leave the counter to go do who-knows-what out back while customers are waiting in line.

I now use the UPS store in our town to buy stamps, send packages, etc. The place is bright and clean and the franchise owner and his team are always helpful and friendly. They even have a dish of mini tootsie rolls always on the counter for the customers. A silly little thing, I know, but it's all about keeping customers happy!

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Pineedles

Default Complaint contacts

For Zip Codes that begin with 030-034 the processing and Distribution Center in Manchester's phone # is 603-644-4002. 955 Goffs Falls Rd. If you want to go higher:

Richard P Uluski
Vice-President, Northeast Area
United States Postal Service
6 Griffin Rd.
N Windsor, CT 06006-7070
email: richard.p.uluski@usps.gov
Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Billy Bob

Default post office

A simple case of Unions gone bad !
In the business world we send documents ( letters ) using FedEx and UPS because we can't count on the post office.
Its just such a shame a asset like the USPO has fallen this far.

Save a buck , stop Saturday delivery , ( Wednesday to for that matter )
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
A simple case of Unions gone bad !
In the business world we send documents ( letters ) using FedEx and UPS because we can't count on the post office.
Not taking sides, just posting some 411...

UPS is union and FedEx is heading that way.

Just for giggles...

USPS charges under .50 cents to deliver your hand crafted, signed message anywhere in the USA.. and if you need it there overnight, they can do that.
CEO for USPS ~$800K

CEO for FEDEX ~$8 million (USPS delivers more item in a day than FEDEX does in a whole year!)

CEO for UPS ~$10 million (USPS delivers more item in a week than UPS does in a whole year!)
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post

Just for giggles...

USPS charges under .50 cents to deliver your hand crafted, signed message anywhere in the USA.. and if you need it there overnight, they can do that.
CEO for USPS ~$800K

CEO for FEDEX ~$8 million (USPS delivers more item in a day than FEDEX does in a whole year!)

CEO for UPS ~$10 million (USPS delivers more item in a week than UPS does in a whole year!)
Agree , Ups and FedEx Both charge a LOT more for the service but they actually get the letters and packages delivered , not lost and on time. You just can't count on the USPS any longer.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I don't know about the post offices but I was kind of confused about an Amazon package that was delivered to the post office. I mean When I clicked to pay there was a shipping charge, yet UPS brought the Amazon package to the Post Office for delivery. HUH? I paid for shipping yet I now have to go pick it up? And once at the Post Office I questioned this and they told me that they get a hundred packages a day from Amazon. Is Amazon paying them to deliver UPS packages? I Pay for Amazon prime on most items. Some do not ship Prime, but to go to the Post Office? Ugh!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I don't know about the post offices but I was kind of confused about an Amazon package that was delivered to the post office. I mean When I clicked to pay there was a shipping charge, yet UPS brought the Amazon package to the Post Office for delivery. HUH? I paid for shipping yet I now have to go pick it up? And once at the Post Office I questioned this and they told me that they get a hundred packages a day from Amazon. Is Amazon paying them to deliver UPS packages? I Pay for Amazon prime on most items. Some do not ship Prime, but to go to the Post Office? Ugh!
That's probably "UPS Sure Post"
"UPS will deliver the package to the Post Office closest to the customer, and then USPS delivers it to the customer's actual delivery address. These shipments are initially given UPS tracking numbers that can be used to track each shipment from pick-up to delivery to the Post Office. The package can then be tracked from the Post Office to the delivery address using the USPS tracking number listed in the tracking on the UPS website"

Amazon Prime is worth every penny. Only a few years until Amazon Prime Air will deliver in 30 minutes!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...aj9YkfGM67qrDA
Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
jeffatsquam

Quote:
This was Amazons first attempt at using drones for delivery lol.

Even the Wright bros. had to start somewhere.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
jack1706

Thumbs down They are the Worst

All the Post Offices are the same.. Terrible.
Worst run business there is...Still waiting for a pkg. mailed 2 years ago USPS,contained a homemade afghan. hasn't arrived yet.. that is only one case ! that is my experience in many states....
I try never to use snail mail....
they wonder why everyone uses email !!
and why they are bankrupt !
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
IslandRadio

I have to disagree somewhat about the USPS and UPS/FedEx.

FedEx is not too good around here. They will sit on packages, and since this area is very rural, it seems to be "redlined" - meaning, after a certain time of day, they don't deliver here any more.

UPS has damaged a number of packages I've ordered, and I've had packages "disappear" (I never received them).

They have also left packages at the foot of the driveway (a number of times), yet the tracking shows the package left "on the front porch". One time when this happened, there was 2 feet of snow leading up to our front porch. I called UPS about this, and offered to take a photograph of the walkway leading to the place where the package was "delivered".

Contrast this to the post office. I've never had a package lost. I've had 1 (out of hundreds I've sent) damaged, and the shipping insurance covered it. At least at my post office, there is rarely a long line (and I almost always have everything ready to go, so there is no necessity to stand in line if you don't want to - just leave the packages on the counter).

And, things are delivered ON TIME. 2 day priority mail arrives in 2 days or less. It just does.

I'm sure in the cities and densely populated areas, UPS and FedEx are great, but out in the pucker brush, the good old USPS is king. Oh, I should say, I have seen poor USPS service, but that was in Berkeley, CA where the employees there had real bad attitudes and it was quite obvious to all who were present.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Pineedles

I don't work for the USPS, nor am I a vendor, but am in the mailing industry and know why the USPS is having a problem. While emails and electronic payments have cut into their business the real problem is that per an act of Congress in 2006, the USPS must pre-fund their employee retirement for the next 75 years. No other agency of the government is burdened with this requirement. To date they have pre-funded 44 Billion dollars. If you are interested in knowing the whole truth, take a look at an article that was written in Time magazine. BTW, as a manufacturer and shipper of parts to customers, UPS and FedEx have lost packages that were shipped out of my plant numerous times, and unless I insured them for a hefty cost, all I got back was 50 bucks max.

http://business.time.com/2013/02/07/...stal-delivery/
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Duke's

Although we live in Gilford we went to Wolfeboro yesterday with several boxes of Christmas presents to mail. Although it was quite busy the staff was efficient, pleasant and helpful. I tracked my packages today and they've either been delivered or are moving along in the system.
Duke's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
salty dog

Down here in Beverly, we have three post offices; one main and two small branches. We're lucky in some respects; the same two or three workers have been there for some time and really do a pretty good job for the most part. But it's true, often there is only one person at the counter with 4 or 5 people in line because of the mandatory breaks. Starting just after Thanksgiving, there can be very lengthy lines/waits. I have learned to go to the small office in Prides Crossing and there may only be one person in front of me. I know every town is different.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
wifi

Quote:
.....And once at the Post Office I questioned this and they told me that they get a hundred packages a day from Amazon. ,,,,,
I've had the same response, that the pallet will take several days to unpack, and sure enough, UPS/FEDEX "smart post" items do take a few extra days laying around the local PO.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Up until a recent change in personnel, the Meredith PO was a wonderful small town post office. Tom Hanks was more than helpful to everyone and even during the Christmas rush, always had a smile and a warm greeting.
Barbara, would sometimes call us at home to tell us we had a package and to stop by after work.
They would even drop mail in our box when the writer omitted our PO box and used the street address......other branches of the PO will not do this.
Sad to see this all change.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
upthesaukee

Default Hate to use the term "in the good old days" but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Up until a recent change in personnel, the Meredith PO was a wonderful small town post office. Tom Hanks was more than helpful to everyone and even during the Christmas rush, always had a smile and a warm greeting.
Barbara, would sometimes call us at home to tell us we had a package and to stop by after work.
They would even drop mail in our box when the writer omitted our PO box and used the street address......other branches of the PO will not do this.
Sad to see this all change.

...back in 2000, my mom passed away on a Mon. evening, so the word really didn't get out until Tuesday. On Thursday, here in Alton Bay, I got a sympathy card that was postmarked on Tuesday in the Boston area, addressed to me using my nickname (as opposed to what most everyone knows me by) and last name, Alton NH (no zip code). No PO Box, no street address; just the name and Alton NH. The mail comes into the Alton PO, and then is sorted for the Alton and Alton Bay zips. Mail then goes to the Bay. Small town, Mom and Dad were there as seasonal residents from 1976 and full time after 1986. Someone up town knew the name (not all that common in Alton), and knew it belonged down at the Bay. Not likely to see that service anymore.

Just yesterday I got a piece of junk mail that was addressed to me at my street address and it did make it to my PO Box, with a stamp instructing me to notify the sender of my PO Box. Seriously...notify the sender of unwanted junk mail of my PO Box.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
JasonG

As someone who ships about 500 packages+ a month with USPS, I can state they are fairly reliable and work their butts off. Their service has issues from time to time and their tracking is less than desirable. All in all it is a good price for what you get. If you want better, you need to go with UPS or Fedex.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
camp guy

Default Post Office

This might be the worst time of year to discuss the overall operation of the Post Office. Both the Post Office employees AND the general public are feeling under pressure with much mail in the pipeline line.

If this discussion were being held in the spring it might be different.

I agree with Duke's that the Wolfeboro Post Office is a pleasant place to do business, and I agree with garysanfran that the union rules don't help.

But, for 46 cents basic rate it is a great bargain.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
Chaselady

Default Melvin Village

I just love our post office in Melvin Village. A real small town feel, but amazing service. Whenever we have something missing our postmistress helps to track it down.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
TheProfessor

• By FederalDaily Staff
• June 26, 2012

The U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General is recommending that USPS continue to pursue legislation that would require the refund of pension surpluses to the financially strapped organization.

According to an IG audit report dated June 16, USPS at of the end of fiscal 2011 had funded its pension benefit obligations at nearly 105 percent, resulting in a $13.1 billion surplus—funds that could help USPS address its ongoing financial losses.

Unions have argued that USPS overpayments into its pension funds—as well the statutory requirement that USPS pre-fund its retiree health care benefits—have contributed in large part to the Postal Service’s financial ills.

The IG, USPS, postal unions and lawmakers alike have issued various calls to change the law either to allow the Office of Personnel Management to alter the pension contribution formula for the Postal Service, to allow OPM to refund surpluses, or both.

The IG report noted that USPS, in addition to over-funding its pension obligations, has funded nearly 50 percent of its health care pre-funding obligation—$44.1 billion of a $90.3 billion future obligation.

“One of the greatest opportunities for cost savings has been the over-funded pension plan,” the report notes, “including the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), and the pre-funding of retiree health care benefits.” The IG noted it already has issued seven reports exploring the matter.

The IG report recommended that “management pursue legislative action to refund current and future pension surpluses to the Postal Service.” According to the report, USPS management agreed with the recommendation, and indicated it would continue to pursue legislation to address both the FERS surplus and the health care pre-funding issue.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #26
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
As someone who ships about 500 packages+ a month with USPS, I can state they are fairly reliable and work their butts off. Their service has issues from time to time and their tracking is less than desirable. All in all it is a good price for what you get. If you want better, you need to go with UPS or Fedex.
Agree. I sell on eBay and shipped thousands of packages. I use Priority Mail for most of my stuff. Never lost a domestic package.

The USPS has a web site. On that site I order FREE Priority Mail shipping boxes in all sizes and shapes. They ship them to my house for free. When I sell an item I print a shipping label, package it up and go back to the USPS site and arrange for a pick up at my door the next day. I never have to leave the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
riverat (12-20-2013), Whimsey (12-22-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
TheProfessor

David Morris

If chutzpah is killing your parents then throwing yourself on the mercy of the court because you're an orphan then Peter Orszag is the poster child for chutzpah. In his recent article in Bloomberg News he insists the best fix for the post office is to take it private. Where does the chutzpah come from? Orszag was Director of the Office of Management Budget (OMB), an agency that played a key role in crippling the USPS with a manufactured financial crisis.

Here’s the back-story. In 1970, after almost two centuries, the Post Office was transformed from a Cabinet agency to the quasi-independent US Postal Service (USPS). In keeping with its new status, Congress eventually moved its finances off budget. Yet, as I’ve discussed before, the OMB and the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) ignored Congress and continued to include the USPS in the unified budget, the budget they use for “scoring” legislation to estimate its impact on the deficit.

Fast forward to 2001. The Government Accountability Office put the Postal Service on its list of “high-risk” programs because of rising financial pressures resulting from exploding demand from both the residential and commercial sectors. Then in 2002 the anxiety level fell dramatically when the Office of Personnel Management found the Postal Service had been significantly overpaying into its retirement fund.

It seemed a simple matter to reduce future payments and tap into the existing surplus to pay for current expenses. And would have been if the OMB and the CBO did not insist on adhering to their make-belief accounting system.

Several times between 2002 and 2005 Congress did overwhelmingly approved tapping into the existing surplus. Each time the White House nixed the idea because it would increase the deficit.

Finally, in 2006 the Post Office and Congress agreed to literally buy off the CBO and OMB. Budget neutrality over a ten-year period was achieved by requiring the USPS to make ten annual payments of $5.4-5.8 billion. The level of the annual payments was not based on any actuarial determination. They were produced by the CBO to equal the amounts necessary to offset the loss of the escrow payments. Under the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 the USPS was forced to prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in ten years, something no other government agency or private corporation is required to do.

The Postal Regulatory Commission noted that those payments “transformed what would have been considerable profits into significant losses.” Indeed, 90 percent or more of the current deficit is a result of these artificially created debts.

The Post Office is indeed in a financial crisis, but not one of its own making.

LINK
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I just love our post office in Melvin Village. A real small town feel, but amazing service. Whenever we have something missing our postmistress helps to track it down.
That is the exact way Winnisquam's post office is, very polite, and friendly.They're always willing to help you in one way or another.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Never knew of this practice till 2 days ago.I was waiting for power supply for my computer to come in via Fedex.Kept checking the tracking and what do you know,it was delivered to the USPS and then to me.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
Greene's Basin Girl

I don't care for the Moultonborough Post Office. I do like the Center Harbor Post Office though. Oh-the Moultonborough Post Office is closed from 12-1pm. I guess the postmaster and the employees like to have lunch together.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
upthesaukee

Default Alton Bay PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I don't care for the Moultonborough Post Office. I do like the Center Harbor Post Office though. Oh-the Moultonborough Post Office is closed from 12-1pm. I guess the postmaster and the employees like to have lunch together.
Back when the Bay PO was opened all day, it was closed from 12-1, but there also was only one employee there all day. Got to be able to eat.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #32
wifi

Funny, I eat at my desk and work, but I'm not a public employee, I digress.

I agree with GBG, the M'boro PO is only open when I work, so I need to take a day off to get a package, and its a real hassle when one of these folks ship "smart" post (and don't tell you, so I can arrange different shipment). I can't afford days off.

Meanwhile, I got a box in Meredith, I can handle their hours (but their parking is another issue) to get packages. I must say, if they see me coming thru the front door, they automatically get my package and have it waiting at the window while I'm visiting my box. Now that's service
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
jumpin Joe (01-14-2014)
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #33
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post

Just for giggles...

CEO for USPS ~$800K

PBF:

Fed-X and UPS earn billions a year in profits and the USPS loses billions a year of tax payer money. The USPS product is recognized as highly inferior (compare and contrast the hustle of the average Fed-x delivery person against the average slow moving and surly USPS front counter person) by the vast majority of US consumers.

I'll pay the extra $10,000,000 a year to a CEO who can delivery literally billions of dollars of difference in profitability. Stop being envious of those who work hard and have made it. Capitalism has made this country what it is.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (12-30-2013), brk-lnt (12-23-2013), Orion (12-23-2013), rander7823 (12-24-2013), SAMIAM (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #34
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
The Winnisquam PO is like that she is the only one there so from 12-1 she closes...now at the Sanbornton one she closes from 12-3 I guess she eats lunch and unloads mail. Not a nice lady in the Sanbornton PO I have had many lost or sent back packages.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
secondcurve

Default Usps

By the way, I agree there are many good employees working for the USPS. My letter carrier is one of them. He is always happy and goes out of his way to do a good job. I will give him a nice bonus on Monday. Don't forget your letter carriers!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
JanN (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #36
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
PBF:

Fed-X and UPS earn billions a year in profits and the USPS loses billions a year of tax payer money. The USPS product is recognized as highly inferior (compare and contrast the hustle of the average Fed-x delivery person against the average slow moving and surly USPS front counter person) by the vast majority of US consumers.

I'll pay the extra $10,000,000 a year to a CEO who can delivery literally billions of dollars of difference in profitability. Stop being envious of those who work hard and have made it. Capitalism has made this country what it is.
Just posting facts, don't shoot the messenger! I don't care what any CEO makes, makes no difference to me.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #37
CTYankee

Talking Bear Island Post Office

Gee, I've never had a problem with the Bear Island Post Office.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTYankee For This Useful Post:
jumpin Joe (01-14-2014)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
Whimsey

Smile USPS Package Delivery

I don't have a beef with the USPS on regular mail and have not had a problem with them very often. When it come to packages however, they drive me crazy. My packages are hung from the mailbox, crushed into the mailbox, dug into snow banks on the side of the road, left in the rain... I had a hiker find one in the wood that had blown away. UPS and Fed Ex deliver packages to my door. If they are worried about the driveway, they hoof it. On two occasions, they felt it was unsafe to walk down the drive, they called me and asked if I preferred to come up and get it or they could deliver it another day. It's not about pension funding (imaging that..they are required to actually pay for their benefits like all of us have to) or unions. It's called customer service and until the USPS get's it, they will not succeed. I actually avoid on line purchases that are delivered by USPS. Aaahh...now I feel much better. Nothing like a little rant.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whimsey For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
Sue Doe-Nym

The Moultonborough PO is a real disgrace. Not only are the hours a joke but the service is horrible and they lose things. Center Harbor is much superior with better people and hours.

For anyone with problems receiving packages, it's probably because of a service UPS calls Basic II where the package is only delivered to your local PO. The carrier is then expected to make the actual delivery. If you have a PO box, this will never happen. If you have your PO box in a ZIP that is different from the ZIP of your physical location you will also not receive your package and will be charged to have it sent to the PO where you have your PO box. So much for "free delivery".

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 12-22-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #40
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Center Harbor Post Office is GREAT!

We get our mail at the Center Harbor Post Office, and they do a wonderful job. I mail packages to Boston every day, and, almost without fail, they are delivered the next day. Bethany, who is usually running the front desk, is always cheerful, always helpful, and seems to know every Zip Code in NH and most of Mass. Many times she has looked at an address and said the Zip was wrong, then checked it in the computer, and, sure enough, it was. She also knows most of the box holders by sight and knows their box numbers by heart.

Deb, who manages the CHPO, is always there to retrieve packages if needed, and, if there is any kind of waiting line, makes it a point to see if anyone is just picking up a package.

There was one time when I mailed several packages, and the ones going to NH were delivered, while the ones going to Mass. just disappeared, but I'm sure that happened somewhere other than Center Harbor.

Also, the PO has new robotic address readers. If you are using a computer generated label, be sure to add the words From and To, and, use a smaller or lighter color for the From. Remember, we are now only here to make the computer's job easier!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Prop-B-Gone For This Useful Post:
jumpin Joe (01-14-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
livenh

Default Post office(s)

They must all be alike. I had a family member accidentally send something to my home address - no mail box - I use a PO box in the town where I work - NOT in Alton where I live. When I found out what she did, the package was tracked and it said it was there to be picked up. I called, not there. It was there "last week", blah, blah. It couldn't have been - it was available for pick up on 12/24 and on Friday they couldn't find it, yet I was told it was there the week before, etc. I called back later on Friday and low and behold they found it! Not the first time. I have a p/t job who sent 2 pay checks to my home. Alton told me they returned them but they never made it back - to Gilford! Such a long distance. The company had to cancel the checks, about $35 each, and recut them. Again, very nice people, but doesn't seem to be well run.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #42
livenh

Default post office alternative

Oh, and I forgot. Did anyone know that you can send packages via Greyhound? Very reasonable, will hold at their terminal for pick up - they won't deliver to a home. I sent a box to Dallas Texas (from MA) on a Friday evening and it arrived in Dallas on Sunday evening. I'm sure not all of them are that fast but I was impressed.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to livenh For This Useful Post:
jumpin Joe (01-20-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #43
Billy Bob

Default Christmas Gifts to your carrier

I saw this post and couldn't believe this was still going on.
You can tip a waitress etc that the way that works . But for a longtime accepting " gifts " etc in a public sector position has been grounds for dismissal.
In a good number of private businesses gift giving , especially a cash gift , is flat out not acceptable.

These people get paid good money to work this slow and as has been been pointed out they look forward to a more then generous retirement .( which should be eliminated and a 401k put in like the rest of us ) accepting what amounts to a bribe for good service is out of line
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
Sal

Default Worser and worser

Went to the Center Harbor PO at about 1:30PM today. Closed! Note on
the door gave addresses of other POs which were open . . . closest was in Laconia.

Bah Humbug !
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #45
kittyb

Cool Meredith Post Office

Although I understand the frustrations of dealing with the public, I wonder if postal employees receive any training. I just spent several minutes on the phone being lectured about my responsibilities to the Post Office. I thought it was a service organization. Silly me.

My RFD mail box is iced in, my husband and I are both infirm (although we have maintained access to said box for 33 years), and the new regulations require a fee of $430 to allow me to pick up mail at the PO on a daily basis, or use salt to melt the ice, and put a hold for 3 days only after which the mail will again be scheduled for delivery BUT if box is still not accessible, mail will be returned to sender! But, of course, the other solution is to rent a PO Box. It's only $22 and will require a complete address change and all that that entails.

What happened to customer service? Am I expecting too much to have a helpful and manageable solution?
kittyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #46
Nagigator

Default that stinks...........

........I know the PO expects to be able to get to your box, if you are rural delivery........that being said, is there anyone around who could clear the mailbox for you? I wish I could help you folks out, but I'm down here in Mass. Maybe your plow guy, if you have one?
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nagigator For This Useful Post:
jumpin Joe (01-14-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #47
jumpin Joe

Default Great post office!

I have read all of the comments made on all of the different post offices. I love the Meredith Post office, friendly employees, I ask a question and they seem too be able to get me the answers. Yes I get someone elses mail once in a blue moon but with some of the employee change overs that is probably expected. Im not sure who is the manager or postmaster is but the employees seem to be happy and act proffesional. I love this community, go live in Laconia and see if you have the same attitude!

Last edited by jumpin Joe; 01-20-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: grammer
jumpin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote