Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
sa meredith

Default Construction/ Johnson's Cove...

I wonder if someone could tell me...
The past couple of years, when boating on weekdays, Johnson's Cove has become a favorite of mine. Always a place to stop, read for while, grab a quick swim...whatever. Usually, during the week, very quiet, peaceful, just the water and woods. But I'm thinking with all the real estate signs whcih circled the cove this past summer, and the listings I have seen on real state web sites, what was a quiet, tranquil area has now become a full blown construction site. Plenty of artificial noise, and pollution. Is this the case???
Or will we be able to squeeze in another summer?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
ApS

Cool Yer talkin' MY neighborhood

Check Johnson's Cove under the search function here for several years of background. The signs have been up for two years, BTW.

A few years ago a developer bought nearly all of the cove (plus a few lots around the corner) for $3½-million. One lot is for sale at $4¼-million, faces away from the view, and is boggy-soggy. To my inquiries ten years ago, all the conservation folks responded "not interested" about conserving it. One ad describes a bargain lot, at nearly $900K. (At Johnson -- no "s" -- Cove Lane).

Years ago, most of those tranquil lots would have been described as "unbuildable", but all that has changed in recent years. Directly upslope from those lots is a 20-unit communal septic tank, dynamited into of the huge rock ledge that forms the uphill side of Johnson's Cove. Since the rest of Wolfeboro Neck is all moraine rock or clay "soil", that rock ledge may have stood against the glaciers and allowed the formation of all of the Neck out to the Broads! (My guess).

With the housing slowdown, the developer has built only one demo building off-shoreline in the last two years; however, prices may fall on the shorefront lots as a result.

To add a few years of tranquility, you'll have to make an offer!