Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Denny Crane

Default Outboard Compression

After purchasing a pontoon boat a few years ago for the lake I am thinking of getting my 22' back on the water for a few salt water trips each year, nothing hard core. It has a 1985 evinrude 175 hp vro 2 stroke. New gas, plugs, etc, has spark and almost fires up. When I did a compression test each cylinder was 61 psi. When I first got the boat 10 years ago compression was 89 each but I was told evinrude runs a little lower than others. My question is before I get into cleaning and rebuilding carburetors can anyone tell me whether I should bother or not, given the compression numbers. I don't know the ranges of good/bad compression and whether I should just shop for another older engine. While I love my newer Mercury 4 stroke on my pontoon, I like to tinker and don't know when to call it quits sometimes. I doubt a shop will work on something this old. Thank you!
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote