Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs down Turnpike Hikes Imminent

It looks like a there will be a rate hike at NH tollbooths. E-ZPass discount could be changing too.

Union Leader Story

Fosters Online Story
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
It looks like a there will be a rate hike at NH tollbooths. E-ZPass discount could be changing too.

Union Leader Story

Fosters Online Story

The foster Online story needs to take a ride on the toll roads, I think their numbers might be a bit off
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
idigtractors

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal

Union Leader Story

Fosters Online Story
Change the words "could be changing too. As what I read it will be GONE no more discount. What a bummer as it went from a 50% discount to a 30% discount and now to a NO discount plus the toll hike.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
ITD

Yep, I'm loving this new Democrat majority, the only solution is MORE TAXES. Keep begging for an income tax people, you'll get it with this bunch.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
idigtractors

Default Toll hikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigtractors
Change the words "could be changing too. As what I read it will be GONE no more discount. What a bummer as it went from a 50% discount to a 30% discount and now to a NO discount plus the toll hike.
Oh ya, don't forget the very good chance for a gas tax increase to go along with the toll hike.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
AC2717

Default Well

Quote:
Oh ya, don't forget the very good chance for a gas tax increase to go along with the toll hike.

Welcome to the rest of the USA

it is terrible but the rest of us have been sweating this out for years, sooner or later they are going to crack us all, and will not be happy until they hang us from out big toes and shake us to get every last penny out of the pockets including the pocket lint!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Out of state tax

At least this usage tax is one that out of state tourists can contribute to. Its not much extra - just a quarter or fifty cents here and there - but with millions of visitors over the year, it adds up. There are a lot of fixed costs in running the toll system. An increase goes right to the bottom line. Anyway, lots of NH income is drained south of the border by Mass taxes , and this is one way to recoup some of it.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I think it is a lot of baloney. I think they already collect tons of money for roads from tolls, the gas tax, diesel tax, fed tax, heavy vehicle use tax, state diesel fuel registration tax for trucks, IRP tax for trucks, town and state taxes to register trucks and cars, just to name some. They even have a new truck tax, I forgot the name of it, but it is $39.00 for each truck. Where the heck does it all go?????
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
I think it is a lot of baloney. I think they already collect tons of money for roads from tolls, the gas tax, diesel tax, fed tax, heavy vehicle use tax, state diesel fuel registration tax for trucks, IRP tax for trucks, town and state taxes to register trucks and cars, just to name some. They even have a new truck tax, I forgot the name of it, but it is $39.00 for each truck. Where the heck does it all go?????
To the unemployed parent of 3 kids who's sitting on their couch.
Sorry, had too.

I guess we can't complain to loudly about the toll hikes since its been almost 20 years since the last increase.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
tis

Yep, you are right, Weirs guy. That is the problem I have, don't tell us you need it for the highway, when there is tons of money already collected for that. If the highway money really went to highway and social security really went to social security, etc. there would be plenty. There will NEVER be enough for this health care for everyone. Might as well give 100% of our money to them now. (Off soapbox now.)
Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

So much for EZPass saving the state a ton of money in administrative costs, offsetting the need to raise the toll rates.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #12
idigtractors

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
To the unemployed parent of 3 kids who's sitting on their couch.
Sorry, had too.

I guess we can't complain to loudly about the toll hikes since its been almost 20 years since the last increase.
You may be right in that statement, but the volume has increased 15 fold making up for any needed toll hikes.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
Weirs guy

Quote:
You may be right in that statement, but the volume has increased 15 fold making up for any needed toll hikes.

Ah, touché!

Now?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
jeffk

Unhappy Open pockets, insert government hands

This increase, like many tax increases, is being carried on the back of a phony crisis that simply demands a tax increase to fix the serious problems that exist.

There was a bridge collapse in Minnesota. It was tragic and scary. People were killed and there were a lot of terrible images on the TV.

The New Hampshire public officials’ reaction was, understandably, to immediately review bridges of similar construction (of which there were few) in this state to verify that none posed a public threat. They didn’t.

Then the political snow job started. There are many bridges on the state’s “red list”. The name itself evokes danger. Everyone assumes that the “red list” bridges are dangerous and in immediate need of replacement. The only problem is, it isn’t true. “Red list” bridges are on the list because they are in need of some kind of work. Most are completely safe. Some have a little extra rust or are in need of painting. “Red list” bridges are inspected more frequently to make SURE that they are not degrading to the point of danger.

Then it became necessary to increase the tolls to address all this URGENT work. Perhaps if all the money that is collected in gas taxes was actually used for road maintenance, rather than being siphoned off to non highway uses there would be no need for any increases.

In addition, a lot of the money on the highway project list is for completely new projects. While it might be nice and convenient to complete these projects, delaying them is probably not dangerous. If the “red list” bridges are such a concern, why not have a moratorium on new construction until all the existing bridges are up to snuff?

Once again we have a political game being played. The difference is that the democrats wring their hands and take advantage of the situation to raise taxes. Republicans would probably have reviewed the highway project list, made sure truly critical work was prioritized to the top of the list, and delayed or cancelled other projects. This has happened in the past.

These types of decisions are made by people every day. You need to repair your car’s brakes and you need to paint your house. You can’t afford to do both. You decide to fix the car because it poses possible danger if you do not. Your house looks shabby for a year. It’s on your “red list”.

Businesses also constantly make choices between important things they need to do. They prioritize and work on what they have resources for. The rest gets delayed or dropped.

Why does government get to take more money? The answer: Because they can! And we are dumb enough to let them!

Are you seeing red yet?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #15
tis

Yes, Jeff, so well said. One doesn't need to say too much on here, just agree with those of you that do that job so well!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
This'nThat

Default Last increase was when EZPass was introduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
When EZPass was introduced, the in-state 50% deduction was reduced to 33%, thereby increasing the tolls for everyone who had to switch from tokens to EZPass. The state's polititians have already had their toll increase -- they now want another one, much much larger this time.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Hummm

Well once agian we see some part of the state of NH funding system floundering....Why..... poor management..... NH has 3 choices, raise current taxes, add new taxes, or look into govermental waste..... well I can tell you which one the goverment will not look at.....

I seriously hope that those of you that are NH residents and have the right to vote, take a good look at your represenatives, and the bills that are going through the state house and how they will effect the state.

Although I wouldn't have a problem with a slightly raised toll scheme... I only usually go through one toll booth twice a week.... I can see that raised prices would start to effect people, that commute through the tolls on a twice a day pace.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
Rattlesnake Guy

The thing I have never figured out is why it takes two toll booths to go south to Nashua but only one to go to Salem. Likewise you can go from Concord to Canada for free but you can't go from Concord to Manchester. Toll booths just don't seem to capable of coming close to uniform taxation. God strike me down for suggesting it but how about no toll booths and an equal offset in the gas tax. (Don't stand next to me I see thunderheads gathering. Oh no Owwwww)

And I know they would keep both. My apologies in advance.

Easy concept, you drive on the roads you pay. You buy a small car you pay less. I drive my SUV fast, I pay more.

Have you seen the construction project at the Bedford tolls? Probably cost more than the highway did to build. Anybody know what is up? Are they going to make the Easy Pass a high speed lanes like some states?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:40 AM   #19
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy
Have you seen the construction project at the Bedford tolls? Probably cost more than the highway did to build. Anybody know what is up? Are they going to make the Easy Pass a high speed lanes like some states?
The word I have is it is a straight route to the airport some how. Like I said that is the word that came to my ears.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #20
chipj29

Quote:
The thing I have never figured out is why it takes two toll booths to go south to Nashua but only one to go to Salem. Likewise you can go from Concord to Canada for free but you can't go from Concord to Manchester. Toll booths just don't seem to capable of coming close to uniform taxation. God strike me down for suggesting it but how about no toll booths and an equal offset in the gas tax. (Don't stand next to me I see thunderheads gathering. Oh no Owwwww)

And I know they would keep both. My apologies in advance.

Easy concept, you drive on the roads you pay. You buy a small car you pay less. I drive my SUV fast, I pay more.

That is the new airport access road. It will pass underneath the highway at the Bedford tolls. A bridge is being built across the Merrimack. Honestly it will really improve access to the airport. Brown Ave isn't bad now, but it will only get worse.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #21
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs down Toll Hike - Bummer. We Go Through Two Plazas

The vote is tomorrow.

From WMUR:
“If passed, the toll increase would go into effect as soon as possible.”

Funny use of the word if.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #22
Merrymeeting

Default Three!

>>Toll Hike - Bummer. We Go Through Two Plazas

And for those of us who come up 95 to the Spaulding Turnpike, it is times 3!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

Default BAD News

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the toll hikes were approved.No mention of doing away with the EZ pass discount.
Here's WMUR's story.http://www.wmur.com/news/14260697/detail.html
Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #24
EllyPoinster

Default Starting October 22nd

No mention of a change to the E-ZPass discount in the UnionLeader.com story either. The increases are effective on October 22nd.

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...0-accfdc0d39a8
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #25
chipj29

I don't want to say this is a good thing, but toll rates have not increased since what, 1989? The cost of living has gone up quite a bit in the last 18 years, so IMO this was somewhat necessary. Have to pay the workers more and more every year. More costs require more income.
And yes, I travel the Hooksett tolls daily, so this will impact me.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #26
trfour

Post Bad News Gets Worse

In the Unionleader story, " Large trucks will see toll hikes double those for cars and light tucks. "

The double whammy, so to speak, as everything trucked here prices will go up as well and in turn those extra costs for them will be passed on to the consumers.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 10-04-2007 at 08:59 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #27
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
I don't want to say this is a good thing, but toll rates have not increased since what, 1989? The cost of living has gone up quite a bit in the last 18 years, so IMO this was somewhat necessary. Have to pay the workers more and more every year. More costs require more income.
And yes, I travel the Hooksett tolls daily, so this will impact me.
In State Driver:
Was not long ago we were paying $0.375 to pass through the Hookset tolls. The Rate today is $0.525. That was a 40 percent increase in the tax. If we get to keep our 30% discount we will now pay $0.70. That is another 33% increase. (or over 86% increase)

Out of State: (Assuming they do not get the discount)
Was not long ago were paying $0.375 to pass through the Hookset tolls. The Rate today is $0.75. That was a 100 percent increase in the tax. With the new rate they pay $ 1.00. That is an additional 33% increase. (or 166% increase)

I can't help wonder how long it will be until the next little increase.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #28
Rattlesnake Guy

Just saw this story about voter remorse.

Union Leader Story

Maybe....just maybe.

Quote from the story

The Department of Transportation backed the $16 million plan. Wieczorek said he thinks now he should not have voted for the increase without knowing how all the money would be spent.

"I thought about it, and then I said 'What the heck am I doing in voting for something like this, when I give them $8 million more than they asked for?' I've got a problem with it," Wieczorek said today.

Turnpike tolls can be used only to maintain the state's 93-mile turnpike system. They can't be spent on 4,800 miles of other state roads.

End Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Default Tolls will go up Monday

From WMUR's website:

Tolls Will Go Up As Planned

POSTED: 1:40 pm EDT October 18, 2007

BERLIN, N.H. -- An anticipated showdown over New Hampshire's pending toll hikes didn't happen, so tolls will go up as planned on Monday.

Executive Councilor Raymond Wieczorek had said he wanted the council to reconsider the hikes it approved two weeks ago, but he didn't bring it up Wednesday because he didn't have enough support.

So, on Monday, tolls will rise to $1 on Interstate 93 in Hooksett and the Everett Turnpike in Bedford and to $1.50 on Interstate 95 in Hampton. They will increase to 75 cents on the Spaulding Turnpike in Dover and Rochester and Interstate 95 ramps in Hampton.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
AC2717

Default I smell Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
From WMUR's website:

Tolls Will Go Up As Planned

POSTED: 1:40 pm EDT October 18, 2007

BERLIN, N.H. -- An anticipated showdown over New Hampshire's pending toll hikes didn't happen, so tolls will go up as planned on Monday.

Executive Councilor Raymond Wieczorek had said he wanted the council to reconsider the hikes it approved two weeks ago, but he didn't bring it up Wednesday because he didn't have enough support.

So, on Monday, tolls will rise to $1 on Interstate 93 in Hooksett and the Everett Turnpike in Bedford and to $1.50 on Interstate 95 in Hampton. They will increase to 75 cents on the Spaulding Turnpike in Dover and Rochester and Interstate 95 ramps in Hampton.

How could he not possibly have enough support, the public outcry should have been enough.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #31
GWC...

An interesting read from the online Union Leader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner Goldsmith: Car trouble in NH
By GARDNER GOLDSMITH
Another View
We found out some answers when I recently interviewed the assistant commissioner of transportation.

I asked him if we had actually seen any of the toll takers let go. He answered, "No."

I asked him if we had seen any savings from the supposed "efficiencies" John Lynch lauded. The answer, to paraphrase: "No, we have not. E-ZPass is a very complicated system to run."

I asked him how much money was lost in 2005 due to John Lynch's breach of the law, and his continued insistence that the transponders be sold at $14 less than what they cost the state, and the answer was, "$5 million." Great.

I asked him about the supposed rationale that there are lots of bridges that are "red-lined" and need fixing now. Weren't these "red-lined" years ago, and what happened to the money budgeted to fix them in previous legislative sessions?

He agreed, that, yes, many had been noted before, and money had been allocated to fix them, but, well, it just didn't happen.
http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...0-41088908e527
Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Default Went through the tolls this morning...

Well came home from the lake this morning and had to pay the higher toll, I can live with it as long as the roads are in good shape..... but now I have another problem.... now that I can pay with a dollar bill at the booth.... what am I to do with all the quarters I am used to collecting......
Old 10-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #33
Rattlesnake Guy

Did anyone notice the lack of a change lane. Now we have to pay a person to stand at every cash lane. Having 4 quarters is apparently not anticipated.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #34
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Did anyone notice the lack of a change lane. Now we have to pay a person to stand at every cash lane. Having 4 quarters is apparently not anticipated.
Are you serious?There are no correct change coin lanes anymore?Sounds like the toll increase will just cover the increased cost of the labor.Errrr!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #35
jrc

The toll increase is a perfect big government law. Not only does it raise taxes, it adds government employees to do so.

I've read (I can't find the article) that on average $1.00 in tolls cost about $0.40 to collect and process. But a gas tax or a tire tax cost less than a nickel for each dollar raised. That 40 cents doesn't even include the wear and tear on your car or the wasted gas slowing down and sitting in traffic for tolls.

Unfortunately we in NH are legally bound to our bond holders to maintain the tolls. We should look to the future, like a bullet-proof high-speed systems or migrate away from tolls altogether.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #36
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Are you serious?There are no correct change coin lanes anymore?Sounds like the toll increase will just cover the increased cost of the labor.Errrr!
Here's why they pulled the exact change buckets: http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...7-c2081d53bdf3
Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #37
islandAl

Thumbs down EZ Pass still in middle

Why, why did they not take the opportunity to move the EZ Pass off to the left so that all the back up at the attended booths world not mesh in the middle and slow up getting to the open EZ Pass lanes?
I did not see that answered in the article, just stated that they would remain where they are, in the middle.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #38
asdf

Default Welcome to Little Massachusetts!

Something is really rotten about the installation of the EZ-Pass system. Am I the only one who wonders why no toll-collector jobs were cut when the system was installed? Does their union have that strong a grip on the government?

And, of course the big question, why does it cost more to collect tolls now than it did before EZ-Pass? Duh ..... if EZ-Pass has been proven to cost more to run than manual collection, get rid of it! Then fire the self-serving toads who installed it in the first place!

Every employer knows that labor is typically the largest expense in most business environments, including toll collection. Installing EZ-Pass without concurrently eliminating some collector jobs is obviously going to result in net increased costs ... wonder of wonders!

If these geniuses in state government worked in my company, they'd of all been fired a long time ago!

Before we know it, everyone is going to be a government employee up here in "Little Massachusetts" (aka New Hampshire)! lol

Last edited by asdf; 10-25-2007 at 02:04 PM.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #39
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Agree

Think about it. You're a state employee with 50 employees who collect tolls. In the private sector you try to figure out how to do it with 20 or how to increase revenue with the same number of employees. You do this to advance your career and do a good job. You put the easy pass to the far right as a high speed lane like other states do so that more people will see the logic of this technology. You do what Home Depot does and remove people that handle cash and replace with self service. You sign people up for Ezpass while they wait in line for the single cash lane. You hand them their transponder after running the credit card. You give a discount on transponders for people who pre buy a bunch of tolls. You give an extra discount to people who use the toll 4 days or more per week.

But as a state employee you figure out a way to grow your department so you have more responsibility and more power and can justify a larger paycheck. The incentive is back-wards. Instead of putting a screen over the coin chute to discourage bills being deposited, you hire 50 more people and take credit for solving a problem. You get your budget expanded next year to add more toll booths because you are just running out of room and the lines just keep getting longer.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #40
Dave M

Default EZPass - Discount

I just checked my EZPass account. They are charging .70 cents instaed of the .53 cents. Went through Hookset & Bedford last Monday.

I wonder if they're doing all these changes to get more to use EZPass.
Weren't they disappointed on the low number using EZPass.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #41
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default EZ-PASS administration

If you look at the statistics in the news. EZ-Pass only gives back to the state only 40 cents for each dollar they collect. I think EZ-Pass is way to expensive. I bet we can collect the same amount of money by raising the gas tax a couple of pennies. There will be no overhead!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #42
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

It's not just the tolls.......speeding fines have been more than doubled.....in NH you can now be fined $1,000 for 20 mph over.That's 85 in a 65,folks.
Democrats know that people get upset with new taxes so they figure we won't notice it in fees and fines.
They are simply using police to collect taxes.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #43
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
It's not just the tolls.......speeding fines have been more than doubled.....in NH you can now be fined $1,000 for 20 mph over.That's 85 in a 65,folks.
Democrats know that people get upset with new taxes so they figure we won't notice it in fees and fines.
They are going to get the Money one way or another..... called it fines, taxes, tolls what ever you want... when there is a shortage of money in government they go after more......
Old 10-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #44
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Fines for what

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
It's not just the tolls.......speeding fines have been more than doubled.....in NH you can now be fined $1,000 for 20 mph over.That's 85 in a 65,folks. Democrats know that people get upset with new taxes so they figure we won't notice it in fees and fines.

So it's time for the good people of NH to step up to the plate and demand higher speed limits on the interstates. The present system of 55/65 is a holdover from a deal made a long time ago when the Federal Gov't set the speed limits. One good thing Clinton did was to rescind that law. So if we want high fines for truly "bad" behavior then set the limits to what's truly "bad". NH has that power. It would be interesting to see the debate since nobody does 65 on I93.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #45
Rattlesnake Guy

Be careful, I think I read somewhere that 45 is as fast as you can safely go. Oh wait, that is only if the other vehicle is 150 feet or more away.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #46
Mee-n-Mac

Wink What was I thinking ?

Quote:
Be careful, I think I read somewhere that 45 is as fast as you can safely go. Oh wait, that is only if the other vehicle is 150 feet or more away.
Actually I don't know why I'd be worried. The NH State Police can't be writing any tickets since nobody would drive directly at a police car while speeding. Thus there can't be any tickets issued due to radar. Any reports recording speeds above that limit must be wrong ....
Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 PM   #47
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
can't be writing any tickets since nobody would drive directly at a police car while speeding.
LMAO You have a point. I have adopted the technique of only driving perpendicular to police cars taking advantage of the cosine problem. Must admit it is not a technique I would recommend in heavily wooded areas.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #48
Dave M

Default Correct Change Lanes

I normally have EZpass but forgot to take it using the 2nd car. I drove up to the lake and went in the correct change lanes(on purpose) and asked why they were taken out. I mentioned if you had 3 quarters for the .75 cents for correct change lane why wouldn't you have it for the dollar especially if buy a roll of quarters. I went up and back to the lake the same day going through Bedford & Hookset tollbooths and not one of the toll takers could give me an answer. I smell a rat.
Didn't they raise the tolls to a dollar a while ago and everybody started going around them. Is that happening now.

Dave M
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #49
asdf

Default It's not a rat .....

it's the union stronghold on government!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Something is really rotten about the installation of the EZ-Pass system. Am I the only one who wonders why no toll-collector jobs were cut when the system was installed? Does their union have that strong a grip on the government?

And, of course the big question, why does it cost more to collect tolls now than it did before EZ-Pass? Duh ..... if EZ-Pass has been proven to cost more to run than manual collection, get rid of it! Then fire the self-serving toads who installed it in the first place!

Every employer knows that labor is typically the largest expense in most business environments, including toll collection. Installing EZ-Pass without concurrently eliminating some collector jobs is obviously going to result in net increased costs ... wonder of wonders!

If these geniuses in state government worked in my company, they'd of all been fired a long time ago!

Before we know it, everyone is going to be a government employee up here in "Little Massachusetts" (aka New Hampshire)! lol"

Last edited by asdf; 10-30-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #50
Rattlesnake Guy

I would be willing to give up my Ezpass discount if they could figure a way to let me pay the buck without the need for a human to collect it. The thought revealed here, that EZPass gets more money than the State in this deal sounds ridiculous. Who negotiated that deal? I can buy 60 dollars worth of gas without a human, and a 65 cent candy bar with a banknote, why can't I slide a dollar bill into a machine with $0.90 cents going to the State? Probably naive but maybe if the State got most of what they tax us at the booth it might, just might slow down the next tax increase.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #51
Dave M

Default Exact change

Went up to the Lake this past Saturday for the day, had EZpass this time. On the way home approaching Hookset toll booth they had a electronic sign that said "exact change saves time". I almost got in a car accident because I was laughing so hard. Maybe they should be reading their own signs. Unbelievable.

Dave M
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #52
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Well ...my passengers and I almost died at the Bedford tolls coming home yesterday. High speed lane is for cash right? Well it's closed with orange cones that, of course, you don't see until you get there, causing me to have to cut across two lanes of traffic approaching the EZ Pass lanes in the middle. I WAS that person who I am usually swearing or shaking my head at. (Usually swearing) Maybe they should change the signs or put up a sign or something. TOLL RAMP CLOSED...the orange cones really don't cut it. (PS - Neither red nor green light was illuminated)
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #53
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Maybe they should change the signs or put up a sign or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
Maybe they should be reading their own signs.
Carefull now, they'd need to hire more people to make and change signs!

Now?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #54
LIforrelaxin

I saw this comming, I knew Easy Pass was not going to be the saviour that they claimed. Hence I don't have a transponder. I knew EZ-pass made the states pay for the technology and really made out on the deal. So I continue to pay cash now that the tokens are obsolete. I least when I do that I know the state is getting all the money... whether they use it wisely or not is a whole other question. The only ones that made out on this are the Politicians, lobbiest, and the EZ-Pass administrators......

Technology is great, but not always beneficial........
Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #55
jrc

EZpass is a huge success for the convienence of motorists who have it. I love it and it really saves me time.

It has not been perfect. I know people with tickets because the transponder didn't read right. I have had a few close calls with cars crossing over to the lane they need. But the vast majority of the time I zip right through.

Now on the financial side it feels like a huge boondoggle. The company in NJ sure seems to be making tons of cash of the backs of NH motorists. We should have made a better deal.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #56
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Well ...my passengers and I almost died at the Bedford tolls coming home yesterday. High speed lane is for cash right? Well it's closed with orange cones that, of course, you don't see until you get there, causing me to have to cut across two lanes of traffic approaching the EZ Pass lanes in the middle. I WAS that person who I am usually swearing or shaking my head at. (Usually swearing) Maybe they should change the signs or put up a sign or something. TOLL RAMP CLOSED...the orange cones really don't cut it. (PS - Neither red nor green light was illuminated)
McDude, I noticed that bone head situation myself this weekend. It makes some sense when they use the lanes in the opposite direction and pull the sign down but they have trained everyone to go on both sides of the ezpass lanes and then force you to make a 5 lane death defying move.

Glad you are OK and don't cut me off again.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #57
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Glad you are OK and don't cut me off again.
RG:
That was you? I'll try not to cut you off again if you'll refrain from the one finger salute!

McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #58
Dave M

Went up to the lake Saturday hauling a trailer. Went in the lane that had a person at Bedford tollbooth expecting to pay for the trailer. I have EZpass. The person said I didn't have to pay for the trailer. Went through the normal EZpass lanes at Hookset and then both tollbooths on the way home. I checked my account and wasn't charged extra. Is this a benefit of EZpass?

Dave M
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #59
SIKSUKR

I trailer through there every weekend in summer with my boat.My account has shown the extra charge the few times I checked.I'll monitor it more in the future.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #60
EllyPoinster

Default You should have been . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
Went up to the lake Saturday hauling a trailer. Went in the lane that had a person at Bedford tollbooth expecting to pay for the trailer. I have EZpass. The person said I didn't have to pay for the trailer. Went through the normal EZpass lanes at Hookset and then both tollbooths on the way home. I checked my account and wasn't charged extra. Is this a benefit of EZpass?

Dave M
From the E-ZPass FAQ at http://www.nh.gov/dot/bureaus/turnpikes/faq.htm:

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use E-ZPass?
Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested such as a car tag in a tractor-trailer.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #61
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster
..... However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification......
The above, together with Dave's comment leads me to believe their system of determining what you are driving thru doesn't work very reliably... If I ever signed up for this, I certainly would monitor my account, especially if ezpass can automatically deduct from your/my/our credit cards.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #62
Weirs guy

One would think that since we are paying someone to sit in the booth at the "lane that is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer" they could get this correct!

Wait, maybe the equipment they designed is the operator!

Now?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #63
jeffk

Default Ah, progress

The first time I went through with a trailer, after EZPass was started, I went through a cash lane because I wasn't sure if I could use EZPass. I was told I could, that the trailer would automatically be detected. So the next time I did and wasn't charged. After that I was. I don't watch it carefully because I have better things to do with my time and since they are taking away more and more of my discount I don't feel too bad if their new and improved equipment isn't quite up to muster.

The best thing I like about the system is that I don't have to open my window when its raining or during winter. Since I had to pay for the transponders and got less discount for that privilege its questionable whether the benefits were worth it.

Now it they start charging me for trailers that aren't there, then we'll have something to talk about.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #64
asdf

Default Luck of the draw?

I experience about a 50% probablitiy that the EZPass hardware will correctly register my trailer(s) when using the NH 'EZPass Only' lane.
Oh Well! ..... their loss!

Interestingly, it seems that it's 'nuts on' when I go thru an "All Vehicle" lane. I'm guessing that there might be some human intervention going on in these cases.

Last edited by asdf; 12-04-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #65
tis

It's funny because even before ezpass, we never knew what we would get charged when we went through. I don't think the people knew what they were supposed to charge. Some charged more and some charged less.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #66
idigtractors

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
It's funny because even before ezpass, we never knew what we would get charged when we went through. I don't think the people knew what they were supposed to charge. Some charged more and some charged less.
Why wouldn't you and or they know. There is a very large sign before going through the tolls telling you how much it is for 2 axle, 4 axle, 6 axle, 8 axle vehicle and so on.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #67
tis

Good question, but it IS true, we got charged all different prices. They work for the government?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #68
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
Good question, but it IS true, we got charged all different prices. They work for the government?
Now that is a very good question, but how do you know what I was charged and I know what you were changed??
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #69
tis

LOL, Sorry idig. I meant we were charged different prices at different times when we went through. We questioned them a couple of time and they assured us they were right and the other people were wrong. How much can you argue while going through the toll booth?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #70
froggy

Default EZ Pass LOVE/HATE...

Folks,

There seems to be much bantering on this thread, with no posts for a long time. Does one really think that lawmakers or the governor's office or anyone from DOT reads these posts?

I suggest that you email gov. office, the Councilors, and/or the reps & senators representing the areas where your real estate is or where you are visiting. All the contact information is on state's website. You WILL have far more affect than writing here. Believe me.

One Councilor, Ray Burton, has a listening ear, and will often make a difference.

Write to DOT and state police how confusing the signs are. MY observations conclude that they do not engineer a high speed lane on left as they change the inner lanes for the demands of direction. I wrote them that I see high speed EZ pass only on very left in DE, and also a discount to go there.

Many of you are correct that electronic in middle is accidents waiting to happen. EZ pass only ought to be on very right, as in many other states. But in MA, we find one EZ P lane somewhere in middle. NH DOT does need to study elsewhere, and I wrote that long before installation.

The big glitch is: NH DOT was studying electronic tolls for 20+ years. What private enterprise would study, research, engineer, buy all the hardware, do all the installation, AND THEN NOT activate immediately? What happened is the legislature had to ponder the discounts to be given! I personally watched the governor say to DOT "I need another spreadsheet".

Today, they need to market EZ Pass. Watch how many do not use the system, when you pass. Watch how many opt to wait in line to pay toll!
Rediculous! It's a no brainer to do sign up for EZPass.

Here's another issue: They say you must "pay" for the tag! Well, it's not a deposit, as the money is not returned when you cancel and return the tag! When I pay for something, I figure I won it, but NH says you don't own it.
I had an ez pass account before NH activated; you can get one in the state of your choice, and several do not ask for any money if your account is related to an active credit card - that is your deposit, so to speak. I did write all that to DOT, gov., and councilors, but all that went right over their heads.
GO FIGURE!!!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote