Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
fatlazyless

So, when's that big snow finally gonna hit? All those snowmobile, downhill and cross country ski trails all over the state are looking more like April than like February. Snow = $now, and there is none. And, oh yeah, all those corvettes with the big smooth tires, they do terrible in the snow, so we need a good snow storm on friday morning. Maybe tie three snowshoes onto each tire, that would work, like on that road runner cartoon, yeah.

Starting to see Pray for Snow signs on some local businesses, here and there. Anyone know where I can get a THINK SNOW bumper sticker left over from the 1970's from before snow making really happened?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
wildwoodfam

Default Snowing in Haverhill Mass as of 12:20pm!

Predictors are at it again - depending WHO you wish to believe we could get 2-4inches or 4-8inches.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ...a virtual snow pocket!

Just starting to snow here in Waterville Valley. Got four inches on thursday, three inches on friday-yesterday, and the cross country ski trails are no longer out of service. Is this place still 'a virtual snow pocket' or what!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Snow we are getting. 4 Pm about 2 inches here in Alton Bay. 6PM there is about 6 inches!!!! That's about a half mile off the lake above Precious Garden's / Keewaydin Park. Real light & fluffy. Probably will compact down to a couple of inches tomorrow...if the wind doesn't blow it all over to Maine, and we can let York Beach worry about it!!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Island Girl

Default The Babes have done it!!!!

The Babes on Sleds have been dancing like crazy for days and at last we have success... The lake is covered with snow!!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Default And at 9:30

A quick walk around the yard shows a solid 10 inches, with it still snowing, and now starting the blowing.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
The Babes on Sleds have been dancing like crazy for days and at last we have success... The lake is covered with snow!!
We just cleared our driveway and stairs and we have at least 10" of light, fluffy snow here. It's supposed to get windy tomorrow and Monday, so we're hoping all the new snow doesn't get blown off the ice. This is the most snow we've gotten in one storm so far this winter, and it's still snowing.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Snow

Wow, it looks like the forecasters were a bit off. We were supposed to get more than you! Enjoy it!
(I am just fine with a few inches of the white stuff.)
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Wow, it looks like the forecasters were a bit off. We were supposed to get more than you! Enjoy it!
(I am just fine with a few inches of the white stuff.)
The final tally here is about a foot. It's so light and fluffy, though, that it's probably going to settle quite a bit. It's all of 7 degs here this morning!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
Skip

Default Seacoast snow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
The final tally here is about a foot. It's so light and fluffy, though, that it's probably going to settle quite a bit. It's all of 7 degs here this morning!
Same thing here in Dover, just about a foot and 8 degrees. Just northeast of you up at camp (Ossipee) my neighbor said he received about seven or eight inches.

What a wierd winter. I remember when it was very rare to get these super fluffy snow events. Now we get two in a row in one of the strangest winters I can remember!

Oh well, at least it will clean up easily, that's if it all doesn't blow away with the first good gust!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Default Its all my fault!

I'm away on business - this is the third snowstorm this year that I've been away for. Maybe the ski areas and snowmobile dealers would like to pay me to be away more? It seems to work.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
Skip

Default Donations greatfully accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
...Maybe the ski areas and snowmobile dealers would like to pay me to be away more? It seems to work...
Heck, if you can guarantee results I am sure me & secondcurve can come up with some kind of donation scheme...
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Final total at our house was still about 10 inches, but it is so light and fluffy, it may have settled some overnight. Sure is nice to clean off the roof with a roof rake, and not feel like I was trying to level Alton Mt. .

Wind is starting to pick up, so I would anticipate some blowing and drifting today into tomorrow.

Went by Sandy Point and saw a couple of fishermen getting out of their truck outside Sandy Point. Better them than me!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Lightbulb Pray for snow?

Well I actually did something about it. I went to Summit County Colorado where they worship the snow God, ULLR every year. This year they were blessed with almost 300" of natural powder. The last 4 days was heaven. Clear blue Colorado skies.
Why don't we start an annual ULLR festival somewhere on the lake? If it works for CO, it should work for NH.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #15
wildwoodfam

Default Haverhill MA final total 7 inches!

Much of which compacted down to 4 or so, and blew off the land. We have regular ATV afficianado's who drive around here during and after a snow - none this time - maybe too cold? Was about 10 here this morning!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow

I skied Attitash Saturday. It was not that bad at all until about 11 AM when the snow was brushed to the side and the ice appeared. I quit early.
I didn't know till later that day that Bretton Woods was blessed with 14" of new snow. Couldn't go Sunday as I have vouchers to Loon that I wanted to use up.
Sunday, Loon got croweded, fast! By 10 AM the lines were long and the snow conditions deteriated to boiler plates. I called my son-in-law and he hauled the sleds up to Minge Cove for an afternoon of sledding on the big lake. I was watching for the open water that DRH mentioned in another thread and I have not seen any. There was enough snow on the ice to keep the rails lubricated. I didn't find too much open water as we stayed near Treasure, Sleepers and Rattlesnake Island. I do know there is open water beyond Diamond on the Broads. I stayed away from there. I had a great time nevertheless.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

Broadhopper,we had 17-20 inches at Cannon.It started snowing Friday when I arrived at Mittersill about 7:00 and did not stop till Sunday at noon.Crazy localized snow.Even Mt Washington only reported 3-4 inches in that same period!Weird!! I believe Loon only got about 3-4.But!!!..And I do mean but,the snow was the lightest I have ever seen anywhere in North America,reallly!It was so light that it got totally skied off right down to the frozen/dirt conditions we have been dealing with all year at Cannon.I actually"shoveled" the foot I had Saturday morning with a broom.I swear.Crazy!!.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #18
Pepper

WOW!!!! All this snow while I was floating around the Caribbean! Perhaps I should head south more often (Skip, I'll happily take some of those donations)

I kept up with the weather while we were gone, and felt awful for everyone - those temperatures were horrible! I'm happy to be back home, and ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work after our long-delayed vacation.

We did notice an amazing number of snowmobile trailers and Thule racks heading south on I-93 late yesterday afternoon. I hope that means that everyone was enjoying any remaining snow!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #19
secondcurve

Pepper:

Welcome back. What is your target date for opening the restuarant? It can't be long now.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #20
Pepper

Hiya SecondCurve! We're shooting for sometime about two weeks from now! We've got quite a bit of work ahead of us, and of course a lot of arranging to do with suppliers, etc. I'll keep you advised as soon as we know "the date". Thanks for asking!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Island Girl

Default Lobster Roll

Will there be Lobster Roll the first weekend? Did you swing from the trees?

Welcome back, Pepper

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
Pepper

Hey there Island Girl!

Yup - Lobster rolls will be available on day one!

No swinging - we had to chose a different itinerary than the original one so I'll have to save my pennies, and plan to do the first intinerary a couple of years from now. This trip was not without adventure though! I did manage to fall off a horse in the Dominican Republic. I'm not gonna say it! I'm not not not not not NOT too old for these sorts of things!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #23
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
This trip was not without adventure though! I did manage to fall off a horse in the Dominican Republic.
Whooaa!

You fell off a Horse and landed on your Donkey! Ooocha...

Happy that all's well in the end!!!
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
Whooaa!

You fell off a Horse and landed on your Donkey! Ooocha...

Happy that all's well in the end!!!
Indeed I did! However, being the stubborn redhead you all know me to be, I brushed myself off, fixed the offending sadle back into position, and climbed aboard. However, also being somewhat more cautious this time, I had my sandal-clad dogs jammed into those stirrups! This was followed by a ten minute hike straight down a slippery, winding, rainforest trail in order to see the 150 foot drop waterfalls (which were truly worth the journey!). Unfortately, this meant that we had to climb back up that hill in order to mount the horses and get back out. Do I need to tell you how badly my legs, back and keyster ached for the three following days? However, I repeat ... I am NOT too old for these sorts of things!