Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Donations to Fire and Police - NH Lakes Region

Those who have published telephone numbers probably get these telephone calls.
Donate to the local police department.
Donate to the local fire department.
Donate to the local chiefs of police.
And veterans and on and on.

How many fall for this?
I ask if I am speaking with an actual police/firefighter. No.
I ask what state call is coming from. Not New Hampshire.
I ask how much of my donation goes to the for profit solicitation company.

What I have found out is that 85% of all donations go to the for profit solicitation company and only 15% goes to the police/firefighters.

Now, who in their right mind makes such a donation?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
HomeWood

Try calling around to different NH PD's and ask them how to donate to local fallen officer/firefighter causes and the like. We have local public safety causes and charities where I work. If an officer, firefighter, or ems are killed in the line of duty, the family of that person receives help directly from these local causes. For example, here is one of our local public safety causes.

http://www.200clubwakecounty.org/

The calls you mentioned are just what you said. They soak up too much of the donation money to make the donation worth it and who knows where what is left after that goes. Giving and supporting locally goes a lot further.

You do not even have to give anything. Stopping by a station to give a kind word is priceless. I like when I get those!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
dpg

Give to shelters if you want to spend some money. Nobody ever remembers the animals.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Give to shelters if you want to spend some money. Nobody ever remembers the animals.
Agreed. That's a good one.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

I have a package with Time Warner Cable. If I want to cancel my landline my monthly bill will go up. I now keep my landline unplugged and just use my cell phone. Now I do not have to listen to any scam calls. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I have a package with Time Warner Cable. If I want to cancel my landline my monthly bill will go up. I now keep my landline unplugged and just use my cell phone. Now I do not have to listen to any scam calls. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
That makes a lot of sense your bill goes up to cancel the phone! Cable's a big scam.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
... I now keep my landline unplugged and just use my cell phone. ... PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
I have the same package but my printer is fax ready so I hooked it up and set it to auto-answer.

We use that line to call out on and let guests use it for that as well.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Working against you

Some of these phone calls claim to be representing the firefighters association or the police association fo your town. In many cases that association is part of or partnering with the union representing your public service employees.

In other words, when you donate you are helping to fund a union that will negiotiate higher wages and benefits that will come from your tax dollars. So really you are funding a system that will cost you more money.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
camp guy

Default Donations to Fire and Police

I have found over the years that what these previous posters have posted is true, so I have adopted a very simple, very direct way of supporting local emergency services. I go to the local station, give them an envelope with cash in it, and say to them that I want to help their relief program, then they can do whatever they want with the money. Regardless of what they actually do with it, I know that 100% went to the emergency services, and none of it went to a middle agency not helping the local effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
wynndog (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 05:24 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Default Just asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I have found over the years that what these previous posters have posted is true, so I have adopted a very simple, very direct way of supporting local emergency services. I go to the local station, give them an envelope with cash in it, and say to them that I want to help their relief program, then they can do whatever they want with the money. Regardless of what they actually do with it, I know that 100% went to the emergency services, and none of it went to a middle agency not helping the local effort.
How do you know that 100% of the cash didn't go to the person you handed the envelope to?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Some of these phone calls claim to be representing the firefighters association or the police association fo your town. In many cases that association is part of or partnering with the union representing your public service employees.

In other words, when you donate you are helping to fund a union.
Tried to sneak in a little union bashing?

Well, I got a call from the Chiefs of Police Association of New Hampshire. I doubt if the chiefs are in any union.

I spoke with my local chief of police. He stated that his association gets 15% of all telephoned solicited funds. And his claim was that 15% is better then nothing. So the gullible seniors and all others who fall for this are providing 85% of the donation to a for profit private company.
Good deal, eh?

And not to bash seniors. But most younger people have a cell phone. Many seniors still have a land line or internet line with published telephone numbers.
Yes, computer generated robo calls can get a cell phone. But it is mostly land lines with published names in a phone book. The calls I get know my name which is published in a phone book. I have never received any of these calls on my cell phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-03-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Tried to sneak in a little union bashing?

Well, I got a call from the Chiefs of Police Association of New Hampshire. I doubt if the chiefs are in any union.

I spoke with my local chief of police. He stated that his association gets 15% of all telephoned solicited funds. And his claim was that 15% is better then nothing. So the gullible seniors and all others who fall for this are providing 85% of the donation to a for profit private company.
Good deal, eh?

And not to bash seniors. But most younger people have a cell phone. Many seniors still have a land line or internet line with published telephone numbers.
Yes, computer generated robo calls can get a cell phone. But it is mostly land lines with published names in a phone book. The calls I get know my name which is published in a phone book. I have never received any of these calls on my cell phone.
No, I tried to state the facts. I am not sure why you selectively deleted a portion of my post when you choose to use a quote from me.

For the record: I have worked in union jobs but found that they are really legalized extortion: "Meet our demands or we will shut down your business". In many cases they just protect the lame and lazy!

What is wrong with being paid what your employer feels you are worth to their business? I find that much more satisfying. At the end of the day I knew I earned my pay and my employer, who gave me that pay, knew I earned it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
What is wrong with being paid what your employer feels you are worth to their business? I find that much more satisfying. At the end of the day I knew I earned my pay and my employer, who gave me that pay, knew I earned it.
Imagine where we'd be if American workers always believed this and didn't create unions: 60+ hour workweeks; no safety regulations; 50¢ an hour; no sick, maternity, or vacation time; no healthcare; no worker's comp; no short or long-term disability, etc. etc.

Not that you did this, but I think it's awesome when people slam middle class unions of companies whose executives are making ridiculous amounts of money or who are able to use every loophole to not pay taxes.

In any case, I wouldn't give money to ANYONE over the phone these days.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Imagine where we'd be if American workers always believed this and didn't create unions: 60+ hour workweeks; no safety regulations; 50¢ an hour; no sick, maternity, or vacation time; no healthcare; no worker's comp; no short or long-term disability, etc. etc.

Not that you did this, but I think it's awesome when people slam middle class unions of companies whose executives are making ridiculous amounts of money or who are able to use every loophole to not pay taxes.

In any case, I wouldn't give money to ANYONE over the phone these days.

There is such a place it's called China.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
No, I tried to state the facts. I am not sure why you selectively deleted a portion of my post when you choose to use a quote from me.

For the record: I have worked in union jobs but found that they are really legalized extortion: "Meet our demands or we will shut down your business". In many cases they just protect the lame and lazy!

In most cases, an employer pays you the least amount that he thinks he can get away with. I'm not talking about local small businesses but big companies who's executives get millions in bonuses while they lay off hundreds or thousands of workers Nobody is worth the tens of millions that many of these executives get paid. Most of us could live comfortably for a year on what some of them make in a single day.
Executive compensation has reached insane levels since 1980 when the Reagan administration started busting the unions. The time is long overdue for the working class to start getting some breaks. If companies really paid their workers what they are worth to them, the middle class worker's wages would increase to a point where they would have more discretionary income to spend having the effect of turbo charging the economy to the benefit of all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-03-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #16
Major

Default Jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand View Post
In most cases, an employer pays you the least amount that he thinks he can get away with. I'm not talking about local small businesses but big companies who's executives get millions in bonuses while they lay off hundreds or thousands of workers Nobody is worth the tens of millions that many of these executives get paid. Most of us could live comfortably for a year on what some of them make in a single day.
Executive compensation has reached insane levels since 1980 when the Reagan administration started busting the unions. The time is long overdue for the working class to start getting some breaks. If companies really paid their workers what they are worth to them, the middle class worker's wages would increase to a point where they would have more discretionary income to spend having the effect of turbo charging the economy to the benefit of all.
Unions have long overstayed their welcome. Anyone who has worked in the education system knows this. It's not about the kids, it's about how little the teachers can do for the most money. Same with public works projects where the mantra is don't kill the job under any circumstances. Unions had their place in history, but in today's age are an obstacle to progress.

I am sick and tired about people complaining about executive compensation. Do you know why corporate executives get paid a lot of money? Because the market demands it! Boards of Directors, who are beholden to their shareholders, want to be in a position in which the can tell their shareholders that they hired the best, most qualified person to lead their company. This process requires that the person selected gets paid, and gets paid well. This process requires that the company, in order to exclusively lock up the executive, agrees to pay the executive a lot of money should the company let the executive go prior to the end of his or her contract, since the executive is foregoing other opportunities.

Instead of admiring and striving to achieve that level of success, we are teaching our children that success is unattainable, and that there's no reason to try. Jealousy is at the heart of this. Just remember, knocking someone down doesn't necessarily raise you up.

At least you know that small businesses don't pay the least amount they can to their employees. As a part owner of small business, our philosophy is to be as generous as we can to our employees while maintaining a framework of fairness and consistent treatment to our employees.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
dave603 (09-01-2015), rander7823 (09-01-2015), ronc4424 (09-01-2015), SAMIAM (09-02-2015), TiltonBB (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Unions have long overstayed their welcome. Anyone who has worked in the education system knows this. It's not about the kids, it's about how little the teachers can do for the most money. Same with public works projects where the mantra is don't kill the job under any circumstances. Unions had their place in history, but in today's age are an obstacle to progress.

I am sick and tired about people complaining about executive compensation. Do you know why corporate executives get paid a lot of money? Because the market demands it! Boards of Directors, who are beholden to their shareholders, want to be in a position in which the can tell their shareholders that they hired the best, most qualified person to lead their company. This process requires that the person selected gets paid, and gets paid well. This process requires that the company, in order to exclusively lock up the executive, agrees to pay the executive a lot of money should the company let the executive go prior to the end of his or her contract, since the executive is foregoing other opportunities.

Instead of admiring and striving to achieve that level of success, we are teaching our children that success is unattainable, and that there's no reason to try. Jealousy is at the heart of this. Just remember, knocking someone down doesn't necessarily raise you up.

At least you know that small businesses don't pay the least amount they can to their employees. As a part owner of small business, our philosophy is to be as generous as we can to our employees while maintaining a framework of fairness and consistent treatment to our employees.
Come teach one week in my classroom and then tell me I'm overpaid. There's a reason the attrition rate is almost 50%. You clearly know nothing about education but what you read.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #18
Major

Default Do not assume

Quote:
Come teach one week in my classroom and then tell me I'm overpaid. There's a reason the attrition rate is almost 50%. You clearly know nothing about education but what you read.

My wife is a teacher. For a 10-month, 8:00 am to 2:30 pm job with some prep work and papers to grade, not a bad gig! The people who complain aren't committed to the kids. Her words, not mine.

I'll remind you of the immortal words of Felix Unger, "do not ASSUME because you make an A$$ out of U and ME!"
Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
thinkxingu

No offense, major, but if your teacher wife is only working 8-2:30, and not much more at home, she's either got a ridiculously cushy gig (low numbers, few discipline issues, low number of preps, etc.) or is not as committed to her kids as she thinks. I connect with public school teachers across America and not one of us is overpaid or under-committed to our students--college recommendations and applications alone take hours and hours of my off-the-clock time.

But we're going wayyy off topic here and could continue in another general thread if you like.

Sorry, OP!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-18-2016), Pontoon Goon (11-22-2015), Reilly (09-03-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
Major

Default Perspective

Quote:
No offense, major, but if your teacher wife is only working 8-2:30, and not much more at home, she's either got a ridiculously cushy gig (low numbers, few discipline issues, low number of preps, etc.) or is not as committed to her kids as she thinks. I connect with public school teachers across America and not one of us is overpaid or under-committed to our students--college recommendations and applications alone take hours and hours of my off-the-clock time.

But we're going wayyy off topic here and could continue in another general thread if you like.

Sorry, OP!

Thankfully, my wife has perspective. She knows for the past 25 years I've worked 10-12 hours a day during the week, on and off on weekends, with little or no vacation, while serving in the Reserves and National Guard for 24 years. She works hard, and will say so, but she also realizes that having summers off, generous benefits packages, long vacations during the school year, are not the norm.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Having worked sixty+ hours/week both in retail grocery and commission sales for eleven years each, I know what a great job I have--I never complained about that. But I also work harder now than I ever did then, and all those benefits are the result of groups of teachers fighting for what they were worth.

Old Sarge (04-18-2016)
Old 09-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #22
dave603

Default also for full disclosure

It's not just the 2 months off during the summer.

September 7, 2015 Labor Day
October 12 Columbus Day
November 11 Veterans Day
November 26-27 Thanksgiving Recess
December 23-January 1, 2016 Holiday Recess
January 18 Martin Luther King, Jr. Civil Rights Day
February 15 Presidents Day
February 22-February 26 Winter Recess
April 18-22 Spring Recess
May 30 Memorial Day

Those recesses add up.
Not many or ANY jobs give that much time off.

Occupation Annual mean wage in New Hampshire Annual mean wage in U.S.

Elementary School Teachers Except Special Education $53,990 $56,320
Middle School Teachers $53,470 $56,630
Secondary School Teachers $56,390 $58,260

I left out any of the "specialties", still better that most wages for that amount of work time.

Last edited by dave603; 09-01-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: edit : for salary
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Major (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #23
noreast

Unions in the public sector should have been done away with a long time ago. That being said The private sector dug there own grave years ago as far as unions go. Now times are changing and alot of unions are either gone or very week & have become obsolete. Each industry has to police itself and pay a fair wage or they will run into trouble eventually. I don't see how anyone can justify many CEO pay levels. many get multi million severance after massive failure, some #'s are just Immoral while the middle class is being destroyed. I have started and sold a few businesses and payed and gave benny's till it hurt. The person at the top has a responsibility to be fair. The people who don't feel that responsibility only respond to pressure, unfortunately. Quick edit. I can't answer my home phone anymore, It's 90% charity.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #24
thinkxingu

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/econ...her/?referrer=

Old 09-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #25
TiltonBB

Default Teaching is a great part time job!

Teachers work about 65% of the hours put in by the average full time professional. That percentage should be used when calculating what a teacher really makes compared to the people who work full time. Great benefits, good pensions, and job security that most people would love to have. Most teachers schedules include plenty of down time to grade papers and prepare lessons.

Just curious: How come gym teachers and shop teachers who spend no time grading etc. get the same rate as teachers who claim to spend so much time outside the classroom still working?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
noreast

To be fair, the article doesn't mention time off, benefits or pensions.The comparison has to be complete to be taken seriously, That's never been a strong point of the New York times. I actually agree that teaching should pay more, It's the pensions that are burying cites and towns across the country. I know some retired cops in there 40's collecting and working on there 2nd carers with a 2nd pension. Most jobs don't get yearly raises anymore but the taxes and cost of living keep going up. I don't think people are anti teacher, They can't afford the government imposed pay cut every year. My local taxes have gone up 300 to 500 a year for the last 15 years. Luckily I've been ok, but many haven't. It's not Ok and can't continue. So people take it out on anything they can vote on and teachers are seen as part of the Gov. When we see the good ones going to other jobs maybe things will change.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #27
thinkxingu

What nobody ever seems to remember (or conveniently leave out) is that most teachers work summer jobs and/or are taking classes to meet requirements. Not a single one of my teacher friends--at least those in their first fifteen or so years (the time it takes to get to ~$70k with master's degree)--has the whole summer off. And those school-year "vacations"? Yeah, those are mostly spent catching up.

I've got engineering, weather tech, nursing, and many other friends who have 5-6 weeks of vacation, work fixed schedules without taking work (physical or emotional) home, and who make just about twice what we make.

Again, not complaining, but anyone with foresight can see we're heading for an education crisis that has foundations similar to those that created the recession seven years ago and unless the middle class begins to focus less on eating its own and more about strengthening itself and the abilities of its members to prosper, America will be eaten alive.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #28
LadyJane

Quote:
Teachers work about 65% of the hours put in by the average full time professional. That percentage should be used when calculating what a teacher really makes compared to the people who work full time.
Wow.......sorry, but you obviously don't have any idea of what teachers do, how many hours they put in and how hard they work.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #29
noreast

Quote:
What nobody ever seems to remember (or conveniently leave out) is that most teachers work summer jobs and/or are taking classes to meet requirements. Not a single one of my teacher friends--at least those in their first fifteen or so years (the time it takes to get to ~$70k with master's degree)--has the whole summer off. And those school-year "vacations"? Yeah, those are mostly spent catching up.

I've got engineering, weather tech, nursing, and many other friends who have 5-6 weeks of vacation, work fixed schedules without taking work (physical or emotional) home, and who make just about twice what we make.

Again, not complaining, but anyone with foresight can see we're heading for an education crisis that has foundations similar to those that created the recession seven years ago and unless the middle class begins to focus less on eating its own and more about strengthening itself and the abilities of its members to prosper, America will be eaten alive.

The middle class is eating itself because it can't afford anything else. peolpe don't know what to do about it, so they cut every program possible.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #30
Major

Default Self Reliance

Now we are going way off course. I don't think the debate is whether teachers work hard. Like any profession, the good ones probably do, the bad ones probably don't, and the middle of the roaders are somewhere in between. The original issue is whether public sector unions harm or help the ultimate stakeholders, i.e., the taxpayers. I think they harm us, you obvously think they help.

The size of government has proliferated over the past 50 years, when the Great Society programs were established. Public sector unions certainly are a part of this growth. Since then, we've "invested" (another word for "tax") trillions of dollars in programs designed to help the poor and the lower middle class families. What have we achieved by our "investment?" First, the destruction of the nuclear family. The National Review reports that 40.7 percent of all 2012 births were out-of-wedlock, with vast differences among racial and ethnic groups. Among non-Hispanic blacks, the figure is highest, at 72.2 percent; for American Indians/Alaska Natives, it’s 66.9 percent; 53.5 percent for Hispanics; 29.4 percent for non-Hispanic whites; and 17.1 percent for Asians/Pacific Islanders. Families are the fabric that hold American culture together.

Second, the systematic removal of organized religion from American culture. I attended Mass this last weekend, and my father happened to be there. I made a joke to him as to how it felt to be one of the younger parishioners attending Mass. My father is 70 years old! Young people, for the most part, don't belong to an organized religion any longer. I get that religion isn't for everyone, and that one of the great things about being an American is freedom of religion. However, religion is one of the structural elements that holds our culture together. As with family values, religion provides structure and order in our society.

Third, and perhaps most important, is that we've somehow come to believe that the middle class doesn't have a chance for success. Nothing could be further from the truth. I can name many, many friends and relatives who came from almost nothing to achieve varying levels of success, if only through hard work and perserverence. If there's one thing that they have in common is that they come from good families. That's the great thing about America, we can achieve anything we want.

I apologize for the rant. I am tired of hearing about how difficult it is to make it in America, and how the middle class cannot make it, or eating its own as you say. There are opportunities abound for individuals who are willing to sacrifice and work hard to get ahead. Self reliance and eliminating the notion that the government can be all things to all people is our pathway to success.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
feb (09-02-2015), ishoot308 (09-02-2015), SAMIAM (09-03-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #31
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
It's the pensions that are burying cites and towns across the country.
Ahem - teacher pensions are NOT paid by the cities and towns. I have paid 11% of my salary for the last 30 years into the teacher's pension system. (and for the ten years I taught before that I paid into social security) It is a completely separate and independent system. The town pays nothing into our pension!! The "town" in my case does pay for 50% of my health insurance. In order to maintain excellence in my profession I furthered my education with a master's degree and a certificate of advanced graduate study at my own expense. I went to night school until I was 40 years old. We are required every 5 years to provide evidence of having advanced our education in order to maintain certification in our respective field. And, yes, up until recently I worked one or two summer jobs to make ends meet.

Apologies for being off-topic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (11-22-2015), thinkxingu (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #32
noreast

I should have been more clear. My rant was not directed at teachers as I have no idea how it currently works. The case I used is one I do know about. I also know my father-in-law has two gov pensions as well. I understand it's not as bad as it use to be, the system was a disaster. Ask Greece what happens when the percentage of employees shrink and the gov dole grows. I think I'm arguing the concept more then the topic. It was more about public sector unions to me. I read from a state sight that over 56% of teacher pension in NH comes from taxes. That is the lowest % in New England.

Last edited by noreast; 09-02-2015 at 02:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-02-2015), thinkxingu (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #33
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:

Second, the systematic removal of organized religion from American culture. I attended Mass this last weekend, and my father happened to be there. I made a joke to him as to how it felt to be one of the younger parishioners attending Mass. My father is 70 years old! Young people, for the most part, don't belong to an organized religion any longer. I get that religion isn't for everyone, and that one of the great things about being an American is freedom of religion. However, religion is one of the structural elements that holds our culture together. As with family values, religion provides structure and order in our society.
Just curious...
Who systematically removed religion from American culture???

As someone who has benefitted tremendously from union representation, I'll stay neutral on that subject.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-03-2015), thinkxingu (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #34
Major

Default Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Just curious...
Who systematically removed religion from American culture???

As someone who has benefitted tremendously from union representation, I'll stay neutral on that subject.
The press, government, school systems, ACLU . . . . That's just off the top of my head. I think we can all agree that organized religion, especially Christian denominations, is under attack, whether it be religious monuments on state/federal property, forcing Christian organizations to fund abortions, gay marriage, boycotting Christian businesses, etc. The list is endless.

In any event, I appreciate your refraining from weighing in on the union issue.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #35
P-3 Guy

Quote:
The press, government, school systems, ACLU . . . . That's just off the top of my head. I think we can all agree that organized religion, especially Christian denominations, is under attack, whether it be religious monuments on state/federal property, forcing Christian organizations to fund abortions, gay marriage, boycotting Christian businesses, etc. The list is endless.
Don't forget to add to your endless list the damage that organized religion has done to itself. Maybe I'm off base here, but I'm betting that some who were previously more devout have been turned off by scandal and cover-up. I don't think I have to get more specific.

And you don't need religion to provide structure, order or morality to society. Some of us are very capable of leading structured, ordered and moral lives without being one bit religious, as hard as that may be to believe.

Also, if you think that gay marriage is contributing to "the systematic removal of organized religion from American culture," you should probably look at factors inside your church first. Churches that are more instead of less inclusive will probably find it easier to attract parishioners, instead of drive them away.

And no, we can't all agree that organized religion, especially Christian denominations, is under attack. I think what is being attacked is small-mindedness, bigotry, and those who claim to be doing things in the name of Jesus that are very un-Jesus like.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #36
thinkxingu

^ Nailed it. I would add that what I think is really happening is that Christianity is just losing its stranglehold on American culture.

Billy Bob (09-02-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #37
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Those who have published telephone numbers probably get these telephone calls.
Donate to the local police department.
Donate to the local fire department.
Donate to the local chiefs of police.
And veterans and on and on.

How many fall for this?
I ask if I am speaking with an actual police/firefighter. No.
I ask what state call is coming from. Not New Hampshire.
I ask how much of my donation goes to the for profit solicitation company.

What I have found out is that 85% of all donations go to the for profit solicitation company and only 15% goes to the police/firefighters.

Now, who in their right mind makes such a donation?

I'll just leave the original post right here. Have a great day, everybody!
Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #38
Kerk

Smile Pay Hours Unions etc.

Have worked for a local utility where the employees voted the union OUT -100% The help are all happy with the results ! JM2CW
Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #39
Old Sarge

Default Don't know what you are talking about!

Quote:
My wife is a teacher. For a 10-month, 8:00 am to 2:30 pm job with some prep work and papers to grade, not a bad gig! The people who complain aren't committed to the kids. Her words, not mine.
Hey Major, your wife must be a middle or high school teacher because I can assure you that elementary school teachers work way more than that! My wife goes in at 700 AM and comes home at 5pm. She puts in at least 6-8 hours on weekends with correcting, lesson plans, calling parents, evaluating students strengths/weaknesses in her grade book. There are also the staff meetings, curriculum committee meetings, PTA meetings, parent teacher conferences, open houses, and required professional development hours to keep her certification. Then there are progress reports and a heck of a lot of work getting reports cards ready! She doesn't complain though because she loves what she does.
It just chaps my a-- when I here that 8-2:30, ten month crap!

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-18-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #40
Old Sarge

Default Another person without a clue

Quote:
Teachers work about 65% of the hours put in by the average full time professional. That percentage should be used when calculating what a teacher really makes compared to the people who work full time. Great benefits, good pensions, and job security that most people would love to have. Most teachers schedules include plenty of down time to grade papers and prepare lessons.
Hey TiltonBB please read my post to the Major above. And as far as time to grade papers while at school just let me remind you that elementary school teachers do playground and lunch room duties. Planning time is less than 1/2 hour a day if they are lucky, not much time teaching over 20 children all day long! As far as great pensions, my wife pays in over ten percent of her pay for that pension and after 25 years at age 62 it will be less than $1,500 per month. Get your facts straight.

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-19-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #41
Old Sarge

Thumbs down Bogus Info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Occupation Annual mean wage in New Hampshire Annual mean wage in U.S.

Elementary School Teachers Except Special Education $53,990 $56,320
Middle School Teachers $53,470 $56,630
Secondary School Teachers $56,390 $58,260

I left out any of the "specialties", still better that most wages for that amount of work time.
Dave, my wife has been teaching over twenty years at the elementary school level here in NH She is at the top step for teachers and makes about what you quoted as the mean wage. So most teachers make much less which means you put out bogus info!! These people have professional degrees, why shouldn't they get paid for it!

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-18-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #42
dave603

Default Try again

Unless the state puts out bogus information.
That data came from the state.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #43
Old Sarge

Default I stand corrected!

Dave, I found the info you cited in your post and you are correct, these are the figures the state lists. I suppose it depends on the city these teachers work for, some pay better than others. Since the most cities use a starting pay (that is quite a bit lower) and pay steps, I wonder how the state came up with this data. Anyway, I still hold that these individuals have professional degrees and should be paid for them. If you really think about about it how many jobs are as important as the education of our children? In the city of Dover the guy that supervises the transfer station makes upwards of 70k per year, he has a high school degree. Go figure!

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-22-2016 at 06:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Sarge For This Useful Post:
dave603 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #44
dave603

I think that many people, who have to pay for their kids schooling, not only for college, which is another disgrace, get a little mad about their tax, and why some of their schools funds are so high.

When we do see things like I showed you from across the state you can see why people get a little pissed off.

When you have to work, then it does seem like teachers have a glorious enough time off compared to you, yeah, it looks great. And you should admit they do get more time off than than the average Joe who pays their wages.

But I'm paying for that, and I DON"T get the same benefits, so get a little tired of them complaining.

And BTW: I'm also an EX-Sarge
But I'm married to a nurse, talk about getting screwed.

Last edited by dave603; 04-22-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: adding
Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #45
Old Sarge

Dave, if I go in for a bypass, I hope the operating room nurse is well paid because if she is not I will have little confidence in her professionalism and competence! I don't want just anyone they could find that would accept a lower wage. The same for the doc! I accept that they make more then me, the guy paying for the ridiculous medical bills. They are professionals and they should be paid as such. I also don't want teachers in the classroom making McDonalds wages (of course I have a conflict of interest in this matter!). Believe me I hate taxes just like everyone else and it burns me up when they get wasted on things like the solar energy companies that got loan guarantee's from the government, spent it on luxury overhead items and then went belly up, leaving us all holding the bag. But what the hell are you going to do!

By the way I'm still a sarge, but retired and subject to recall! However if they do call me up I don't think they will be happy with my beer gut, LOL!

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-23-2016 at 06:39 AM.