Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Aqua-andy

Default Had a run in with "Winni's finest"

Last Thursday I was diving the Tug and when I came up there was a patrol boat hovering around and I saw my dive flag was missing. I believe what happened was someone not knowing what the flag was (I hope ) came by and picked it up and the poles separated and they dropped it back into the water. The flag runs over a fiberglass pole and has bungee that pulls down on it so it stays put. So I'm thinking they pulled it up by the top and the poles separated and the top one fell out and landed on the bottom when they dropped it. I never saw anything fall but about five minutes after I started the dive I heard a boat come by, I heard them there for a few minutes and heard them shifting in and out of gear, I thought someone was preparing to drop a shot line. Then after about 20 minutes I heard another boat doing the same thing. So after I finally acknowledged the the marine patrol officer he asked me where my flag was, so I pointed towards my now empty buoy and said it was right there. He quickley stated "that is not a dive flag" well duh!! After he had all my info he said that he was going to wright me a summons for diving without a flag. I then told him there was a flag dangling off that buoy and it was flying when I descended. The officer then told me it was never there was a flag there as he has been there for 45 minutes. You should have seen his face when I said "no you haven't!!! according to my dive computer my total dive time was only 35 minutes". I was told there is no excuse for not having a flag flying so he was writing the summons. I then insisted on speaking to a supervisor and after a short talk on his radio he said he would let me off "this time". So some how you need to have complete control over your flag even if your 50' under it and can't see it. I was told that I can't file a complaint about someone messing with my flag because I did not see it happen? Just good to see out tax dollars hard at work!! Sorry for the rant but I had to get that off my chest.
Aqua-andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
8gv

LEO's get lied to all day, every day. They've been known to fib at times to get the person to fess up. I suspect that they have a hard time turning off their skepticism. You didn't get a ticket and you run the flag. It's all good.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
RailroadJoe

Just a case of a MP person trying to act superior. There are a few in all police departments Don't rate them all based on one poorly trained individual.
Maybe he will read this forum and get a little knowedge on dealing with people.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
JDeere

Default Bottom Line

You did not get a ticket so stop whining. Maybe someone stole your flag or maybe it came off somehow....but....you never noticed another boat on top of you? Bottom line is they let you off so why the post?
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
fatlazyless

....yesterday's Concord Monitor ....maybe u want to you google "A night on Winnipesaukee with the NH Marine Patrol"
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
jrc

I hate to pile on but dive flags are a pet peeve of mine. Get several, get big ones and put them where I can see them.

I can't how many times I came into the bay in front of Gendale to see a boat with one dive flag that looks like the size of postage stamp. Sure I should know that any boat anchored in that bay is a dive boat but not everyone knows.

Glad you weren't hurt and glad you got off with a warning.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
AC2717

I was on my way back to paugus bay on Friday night from Wolfboro at about 11pm and they were all over the place stopping boats, some i could see from improper lighting but others i did not see why. We were at a friends house. Then on my way back they buzzed me three times. once when leaving the bay, Got up real close sped away. There was one instance I was in the broads at rattlesnake and he came up beside me stayed there (my guess was to judge my speed) then took off like a bat out of hell, a lot faster than the speed limit as he was gone past diamond before I got 3/4 my way down rattlesnake
then when I was navigating lockes and the witches, he popped out at the point of governovers forcing me to hug the witches and almost come to a complete stop because he was heading towards me and was not giving way. Scared the you know what out of me. Same MP boat all three times
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Aqua-andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
You did not get a ticket so stop whining. Maybe someone stole your flag or maybe it came off somehow....but....you never noticed another boat on top of you? Bottom line is they let you off so why the post?
Um.... No I did not notice another boat, I noticed two. You can go back and read my original post. So what should I have done surface when I heard a boat? I don't think so, If you did that every time you heard a boat on Winni you would not get any bottom time. And NO I will not surface if I hear a boat above me, that would be pure stupidity on any divers part. Bottom line is he only let me off because I questioned him and demanded to speak with a supervisor, some people may have just taken the ticket. My bottom line is they were potentially going after the wrong person and could care less.

jrc, as for flying multiple flags that can cause issues also. In a spot like where the tug is I have around 150' of anchor rode out to get a decent hook up. If I flew a flag on the boat and not just at the wreck and the boat swings in another direction I could be more than 150 from the flag on the boat and in turn breaking the law that way.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
jrc

Ok, I'm not a diver, just thought you could never be too visible.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Aqua-andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Ok, I'm not a diver, just thought you could never be too visible.
Yes I totally agree you can't be to visible. The only problem is the black and white laws we have that don't factor in for common sense.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
JDeere

I am a diver....but who cares. MP let you off. I would say thank you.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
SharkBaitDiving

Default Dive Flag

As a former LE Officer (Lt. retired) and now Captain and Owner of a boat on Lake Winnipesaukee I have to agree with all of the comments.

Yes, Officers can tend to overreact, think they are always being lied too, and it all depends on the Officer and how you treat them.

I fully agree and would of done the same thing by asking for a Supervisor as the dive flag was clearly in the water per the rule but someone or thing messed with it.

I try to have several flags on my boat when diving. One on the top of my VHF antenna, one LARGE flag off my staff on the stern of the boat, one off a rope 30+' off the stern in the water , and I usually throw one off the bow weighted. Especially around the Lady of the Lake!

Some boaters will still come right up and ask what we are doing there???????

Bottom line is ALWAYS DIVE & BE SAFE and come back to the boat OK!!!!!

Captain Jim
Shark Bait Diving Adventures
Fay's Boat Yard
Gilford, NH

www.sharkbaitdivingadventures.com
SharkBaitDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SharkBaitDiving For This Useful Post:
Aqua-andy (07-25-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
islandboater

Default Nicely said

Capt Jim....please consider running for public office....

Bottom line is ALWAYS DIVE & BE SAFE and come back to the boat OK!!!!!

Captain Jim
Shark Bait Diving Adventures
Fay's Boat Yard
Gilford, NH

www.sharkbaitdivingadventures.com[/QUOTE]
islandboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to islandboater For This Useful Post:
SharkBaitDiving (08-05-2013)