Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #1
Billyjp2

Default Gas siphoning?

I have a boat on a mooring in Alton Bay, last used the morning of July 9th. I bought it brand new recently and am still on the original 60 gallon tank of fuel. I left it that morning with a little over half a tank and the engine computer confirms I used 23 gallons.

I started it this afternoon and its telling me the tank is empty. I'm going to dump in a few gallons tomorrow to get me to a gas dock. I'm at a loss. Has anyone heard of gas being stolen from boats?
Billyjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
XCR-700

Exclamation Be very careful if you smell or see gas and do not try to start it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjp2 View Post
I have a boat on a mooring in Alton Bay, last used the morning of July 9th. I bought it brand new recently and am still on the original 60 gallon tank of fuel. I left it that morning with a little over half a tank and the engine computer confirms I used 23 gallons.

I started it this afternoon and its telling me the tank is empty. I'm going to dump in a few gallons tomorrow to get me to a gas dock. I'm at a loss. Has anyone heard of gas being stolen from boats?
I have been waiting for this to happen,,, Boats are a pretty easy target and in most cases you could pull a lot out quickly if you had the right hose and a good jump.

In one way I hope for you it was just a case of theft as a loss of 30+ gal of fuel in the bottom of the hull, or worse pumped out by the bilge into the lake would be really bad.

Was there any smell of gas? Any sign of gas in the bottom. Be VERY careful starting it, if there is a leak and there are fumes you could have an explosion.

Look the boat over real good, see if you can find any signs that the gas cap had been removed.

And above all else make sure there is no leak. If you see any signs of leakage do NOT START THE MOTOR, it could kill you!

If there is a gas leak, call the marine and let them deal with it!

Good Luck!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Fritoman (07-23-2022), TomKat (07-24-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

I would be very tempted to notify the Alton Police. Being a new boat there should not be many fingerprints on the gas cap, and I would presume the last person to remove (or tighten) the cap was not wearing gloves.

Could be worthwhile to check it out.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 07:46 PM   #4
Billyjp2

Checked the bilge, definitely no gas in there. I also had the main power turned off and the bilge isn't automatic. The boat has an outboard.
Billyjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Checked the bilge, definitely no gas in there. I also had the main power turned off and the bilge isn't automatic. The boat has an outboard.
Ok, sounds like siphoning is the more likely cause,,,

Good Luck!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Sickening trick

That is just terrible….to think that there are such scumbags out there who would do this to boat owners. I guess that most of us are vulnerable, because who checks their boat constantly? This might be a stupid idea, but can you get gas caps that lock, and my h says they aren’t made that way. Anyhow, I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:30 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
That is just terrible….to think that there are such scumbags out there who would do this to boat owners. I guess that most of us are vulnerable, because who checks their boat constantly? This might be a stupid idea, but can you get gas caps that lock, and my h says they aren’t made that way. Anyhow, I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.
I remember locking auto gas caps during the 1973 oil embargo. A quick Google search reveals they are available for boats although they may be manufacturer specific.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:57 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:

Yes. It happened in our hood years ago.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:51 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Automobiles have a check valve in the gas line to prevent spillage if the vehicle should turn over in an accident which makes siphoning very difficult.
Wonder if the same is true of boats
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

In my experience, fuel gauges on boats are notoriously a problem. I'd be curious how much fuel you added when you get to the gas dock. Since siphoning is likely, I'd contact Marine Patrol and Local PD. Anybody with the equipment to siphon large amounts of fuel is likely to favor other boaters with their services, not just one. Somebody who accumulates, say, 100+ gallons of fuel needs to store it or sell it. MP/PD is likely to be aware of such activity and will put the pieces together.
Let us know.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
LooneyLovegood (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #11
Loventhelake

Parker marine recently had one of their trucks stolen, a catalytic converter stolen and across the river at the little yacht club were several batteries stolen.
I’m not surprised if this was your case with gas.
These events took place in the last week.
Loventhelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #12
dickiej

I’m in Portland, OR and the homeless out here steal everything they can get their hands on. We have 13 Isuzu NQR box trucks, each one with two batteries worth $500.00/ea. not to long ago, they stole all 26 batteries one night. The police said they get $50.00/ea. Portland is a hell hole.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #13
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
I’m in Portland, OR and the homeless out here steal everything they can get their hands on. We have 13 Isuzu NQR box trucks, each one with two batteries worth $500.00/ea. not to long ago, they stole all 26 batteries one night. The police said they get $50.00/ea. Portland is a hell hole.
What's your stupid Mayor's response?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In my experience, fuel gauges on boats are notoriously a problem. I'd be curious how much fuel you added when you get to the gas dock. Since siphoning is likely, I'd contact Marine Patrol and Local PD. Anybody with the equipment to siphon large amounts of fuel is likely to favor other boaters with their services, not just one. Somebody who accumulates, say, 100+ gallons of fuel needs to store it or sell it. MP/PD is likely to be aware of such activity and will put the pieces together.
Let us know.
You illustrate just how difficult it would be to sell stolen gasoline. Sadly, I think the most likely thief is a boater filling his own tank
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:11 PM   #15
dickiej

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
What's your stupid Mayor's response?
Wheeler is the worst mayor in the United States….he has completely turned his back on the hard working, property owning, tax paying, law abiding citizens of Portland. For some twisted reason, he and Schmidt (the DA) have allowed the criminals to basically take over the city. Portland is pretty much a lawless place right now and you have to see it to understand just how awful a place it is.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:08 PM   #16
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Wheeler is the worst mayor in the United States….he has completely turned his back on the hard working, property owning, tax paying, law abiding citizens of Portland. For some twisted reason, he and Schmidt (the DA) have allowed the criminals to basically take over the city. Portland is pretty much a lawless place right now and you have to see it to understand just how awful a place it is.
I agree. And submit that Bill de Blasio is really the # 1 worst.

let me bring this local...

We, here, are very different. And thus we are here!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:09 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Where's the OP?? How much gas was truly missing? Response from local PD and MP? Don't post looking for response and then not follow and respond.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote