Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
NHBUOY

Question Does Anyone Remember The Pirate's Den ...

...in Wolfboro.?. In the early '60's, my father's SOP on friday nights, when we got to the lake, was to take our fam in the boat over there from Alton to eat. I loved that place. In the winter, the friday night feed was held at Dot's. Another lost gem.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
william s. littlesr

Default Pirates den

during the summer of 1965 i worked there. During the day i was a dock boy, and in the evening i was a salid chef. My mother was the executive chef. Larry Grover owned the place. He was from california, and played a slide trombone with the dixieland band that was made up of college kids from Cal.
We use to run errands into town on a three wheeled scooter that was named the BUZZ BOMB. A great place to work. I have tons more info if you are interested.
Bill Little
Martha's Vineyard
william s. littlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Yes, we are interested! I also remember it. What was Larry's boat called, was it the Californian?? What a neat place. I was too young to go there though.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Just Sold

My dad took us a couple of times by boat. It was great to pull up in the boat as it was the only restaurant with its own dock on that end of the lake.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
My dad took us a couple of times by boat. It was great to pull up in the boat as it was the only restaurant with its own dock on that end of the lake.
What building was the restaurant in? I started coming to the era in the 70s and don't recall the Pirate's Den.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
What building was the restaurant in? I started coming to the era in the 70s and don't recall the Pirate's Den.
It is now the Windrifter-the one on the lake-the last part of the building toward the dock.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-12-2013), trfour (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It is now the Windrifter-the one on the lake-the last part of the building toward the dock.
I used to have the upstairs section of that building as a "Windrifter" timeshare. I sold it because at the time "Windrifter" was having some serious management problems. I kinda miss not have that timeshare because I could use the docks for that week.

I didn't know that it was once a restaurant.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
old coot
Deceased Member

Before it was the Pirate's Den it was called the Brightwater Inn, a hostelry run by a Swedish couple.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
Before it was the Pirate's Den it was called the Brightwater Inn, a hostelry run by a Swedish couple.
Thanks Old Coot. If you go that far back I'll bet that you remember the notorious "Been Gassy" and clueless "LL" duo. They made a real impression in that area of wolfeboro. If I remember correctly "Been" used to be the lead member and "LL" was his echo. Rumor has it that they are a cyberspace team now.
Do you remember them?
old coot (01-19-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
old coot
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Thanks Old Coot. If you go that far back I'll bet that you remember the notorious "Been Gassy" and clueless "LL" duo. They made a real impression in that area of wolfeboro. If I remember correctly "Been" used to be the lead member and "LL" was his echo. Rumor has it that they are a cyberspace team now.
Do you remember them?
Yes Rusty, I well remember them. My memory is pretty robust and that toxic twosome were the bane of a once thriving area forum. I won't forget them and neither will you I suspect.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Waterbaby

Default Pirate's Den!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
...in Wolfboro.?. In the early '60's, my father's SOP on friday nights, when we got to the lake, was to take our fam in the boat over there from Alton to eat. I loved that place. In the winter, the friday night feed was held at Dot's. Another lost gem.
OMG, do I ever remember that place! My mom and Dad were friends of Larry Grover (who invented the air horn, where he got his money from) and Lois Grover. We kept our cruiser there and lived on it in the summer, spent a whole lot of time on Larry and Lois's boat! Memories, all good!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by william s. littlesr View Post
during the summer of 1965 i worked there. During the day i was a dock boy, and in the evening i was a salid chef. My mother was the executive chef. Larry Grover owned the place. He was from california, and played a slide trombone with the dixieland band that was made up of college kids from Cal.
We use to run errands into town on a three wheeled scooter that was named the BUZZ BOMB. A great place to work. I have tons more info if you are interested.
Bill Little
Martha's Vineyard
William, I'm interested! I remember Larry very well, what a cute little dirty old man he was, lol. LOVED Lois! See my other post, my parents kept the Cruiser there - in fact, you and I may have known each other. Do you remember the Duchanos? Don and Donna? I remember the restaurant, and then it turned into a nightclub at a certain point of the evening. Remember the game room? My brothers used to sleep in there, while I slept on the boat. I remember when the timeshare thing started also. PLEASE share your memories with me! That was one of the best times of my life!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
captainkwood

Default Mr. Little!!

Hi, I worked with you and your Mom at the Pirates Den!!!
Remember Ken Donica from the band?
6'4 and 300lbs. I lived on Melody Island. Lots of great memories. Larry was a riot and your Mom was wonderful. You had a place on Sewall Rd. Right?
captainkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
rgilfert

Default Father John's Pub

Another great (but extinct) Wolfeboro restaurant from the mid-1970's was Father John's Pub on Lehner St. While dating my future wife back in 1975 we used to go there for lunch frequently and we thought that it was excellent! The entire interior (walls, ceiling, bathroom...and I think even the table tops) was covered/papered with tens of thousands horse race betting tickets and countless empty (all different) beer cans adorned shelves on the walls. It was pretty cool to look at! My wife still has a "Father John's Pub" T-shirt.
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
Bdendle

Default Hi Bill Little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by william s. littlesr View Post
Bill Little
Martha's Vineyard
Hi Bill - I remember you! I'm Bill Dendle, the banjo player in that dixieland band. I used to borrow the Buzz Bomb when I couldn't get Larry Grover to lend me his Barracuda. My band, The South Market Street Jazz Band, just got together for a fiftieth anniversary at the San Diego Jazz Fest. Jerry Fenwick, Larry Okmin, Dale Saare, and Tad Wolicki were all there. Kenn Donica, the tuba player, died about 20 years ago. My email is: bdendle@comcast.net if you'd like to chat.
Bdendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdendle View Post
Hi Bill - I remember you! I'm Bill Dendle, the banjo player in that dixieland band. I used to borrow the Buzz Bomb when I couldn't get Larry Grover to lend me his Barracuda. My band, The South Market Street Jazz Band, just got together for a fiftieth anniversary at the San Diego Jazz Fest. Jerry Fenwick, Larry Okmin, Dale Saare, and Tad Wolicki were all there. Kenn Donica, the tuba player, died about 20 years ago. My email is: bdendle@comcast.net if you'd like to chat.
This post is whats cool about the internet.