Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Silver Duck

Angry What does it take

for people to learn that it's dangerous to let kids ride on the bow of a boat?

Yesterday afternoon I was heading out of Alton Bay, getting tossed around like a cork in a hurricane, when I saw two small children riding one on each side of the bow pulpit of an old, small cruiser.

The kids were hanging on to the bow rail with one hand and waving to passing boats with the other - and what looked to be momma was right up there with them, but not even holding on. It looked like they were riding a mechanical bull! AARRGH!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
jrc

I think I saw the same boat. Was it a faded gray or purple 20-something crusier. At least five people on the bow, four little kids and one adult. All the kids had there legs dangling over the bow, only one had a life jacket on. They were moving along pretty quick, any fall would have had tragic results.

The sad thing is we both passed a marine patrol near Little Mark, the MP seemed to follow both of us as we rounded the point and headed towards Roberts Cove. I went into the cove and the MP followed me, the cruiser headed towards Barndoor. To be fair, the MP probably couldn't see their bow clearly except for a minute when they passed him.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
donnamatrix

Default So Unsafe

Unfortunately, we see this all the time, including Saturday between Pine and Bear: a woman riding on the bow, no lifejacket... but obviously a death wish.
An even more frightening sight was in the Weirs Channel on Saturday afternoon. As this boat entered the Big Lake from Paugus Bay, two dogs (no life jackets) were on the padded area of the stern of a Baja or similar boat. Just one big wake would have tossed them into the prop. I worried about them all the way home. Hope they're okay
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
VarneyPoint

I saw this same boat from my jetski as I was sitting in the mouth of Alton Bay. What is truly ridiculous (besides the kids riding on the bow) is that the MP was sitting there before the boat came into view. The boat cruised right by and the MP didn't move a muscle and then proceeded towards Roberts Cove. I was completely shocked. Either the MP was "busy" doing paper work or he just didn't care. I considered going over the the MP to tell him because it was truly a safety issue, but decided that I am not on the lake to do the MP's job for them.
VarneyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Silver Duck

Red face

jrc

Yup, same boat, same visually-challenged MP officer. Since I haven't seen any tragic news stories, I guess they got away with it (thank God!)

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 06:32 AM   #6
JoeP

Default Same boat/same MP

Saw the same boat and the same MP. The patrol boat and I were less than 150' so I dropped to headway speed. Two (yes 2!) boats came barreling out of Alton Bay between us. White haired fellow driving the MP boat. Couldn't believe he didn't stop either boat. He inadvertantly taught my kids a great lesson - don't listen to your old man about the rules - they don't apply on this lake.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote