Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
scott s

Default New Alton Restaurant!!!!!!

Finally!!!!! I don't have to drive 30 minutes for a great meal!

The former main st. Cafe, is now the Main St. Cafe AND BISTRO!

The new owners still serve a great breakfast, but have expanded to include dinner! The place is newly renovated and a fantastic place to go for a great meal.

My wife had the meatloaf that was served over fresh mashed potatoes and was topped with mushrooms. she will be finishing the huge and tasty meal for lunch today.

I was blown away by the crab stuffed ravioli with pesto cream sauce and pan seared scallops.

Meals also come with wonderful bread and a balsmaic dipping sauce.

Living in Alton, it is an expedition to get a good meal. I wanted to give the owner a GREAT BIG HUG for opening this place 2.7 miles from my house!!!!

Oh, i forgot to mention that this meal with two sodas and a Brushette appetizer as 36 bucks!!!!!!!!

Currently it is BYOB, but the owner is working on a beer/wine license.

Even though it may seem like it, i am in no way affiliated with this establishment, i am just so excited to have a REAL restaurant in Alton!

Get in there now because it will be PACKED next summer!

Scott S
scott s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Alton Mumma

This is fantastic news! We don't have much to choose from here in Alton, especially w/ Shibleys closed for winter. I will definatly have to check it out! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! MMMmmmmm

"Living with a toddler is like using a blender without the cover."
Alton Mumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Thumbs up Main Street Cafe and Bistro

Scott:
Main Street Cafe is my choice for breakfast and will certainly give it a shot for dinner soon!
MAIN STREET CAFE and BISTRO

BTW: McGrath's, on the other side of the parking lot, was supposed to open as a "Five and Dime" during October. Did you notice when you were there whether they have opened up or not yet?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Alton Mumma

Quote:
BTW: McGrath's, on the other side of the parking lot, was supposed to open as a "Five and Dime" during October. Did you notice when you were there whether they have opened up or not yet?
They're not open yet, but the last time I drove by I noticed their new sign with the grand opening listed as Nov. 11. I think it's now called Lakeside Variety.

"Living with a toddler is like using a blender without the cover."
Alton Mumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
pmj

YEAH! I am excited about this as well. We do have limited choices of good restaurants in Alton and it is exciting to see this new business in town!
We will undoubtedly try it out very soon!
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
mcdude

I noticed a few more changes today in Alton. Cranberries, the gift shop down on the bay by the bandstand, has moved to 5 Monument Square, the old American Legion building. In its' place down on the bay will be a massage place! I went into Alton Video to pick up a DVD and they were packing up. They are also moving across the street to 5 Monument Square and in its' place will be another Chinese restaurant.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
jrc

Are you telling me I'll be able to dock at the Alton town docks and walk to a massage place?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Scott:
Main Street Cafe is my choice for breakfast and will certainly give it a shot for dinner soon!
MAIN STREET CAFE and BISTRO

Judging by the picture, this link is to the old website for Main Street Cafe. the new sign says "Main Street Cafe and Bistro of Alton". Also, they are open some nights, unlike the old cafe which was breakfast and lunch only.

My wife and I went there this evening, and had a very nice meal. We both had clam chowder, which was good. The boss had the meatloaf, and I was lucky enough to get a taste or two...in a word: "Delicious". I had the chicken marsala over fettuchini (that would be the fat spaghetti stuff ) and it likewise was delicious. The nice touch was when we were first seated, we got a plate with the olive oil, herbs, and balsamic vinegar along with some very fresh bread to dip....dare I use that delicious word again. When I see carrot cake for dessert, I just gotta have it, and you know who had the cherry cheesecake. Yep, you beat me to it...delicious on both counts.

The decor inside is nicely plain, not artsy craftsy as before. They did a fantastic job cleaning and refinishing the booths. We saw them with the furniture out in the parking lot for at least two days, and their hard work paid off.

Phantomsaukee gives them two thumbs up, or the gold thumb, or two plates spinning on the platinum stick....oh heck, a really nice meal, served well, presented well, and did I say it was delicious?????

I wish them well...they have worked hard to change the look of the place, and I do recommend going there.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
Island Girl

Default Red Cranberries

It's a shame Red Cranberries moved... I shopped there often since I could get there by boat...

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
jellybean

Thumbs up

I saw the ad for the new Bistro in a Lakes Region newspaper insert and did a double-take at the combination of the words "Alton" and "Bistro"! I know people like the restaurants here in town, but unless you like fried food, fast food, chinese, or REALLY expensive, there isn't much here.

I haven't been able to try this place yet, because they have not been open both nights we've been able to get away from the kids and attempt it (a Sunday and Monday), but I took a peek at the menu and it looked great. I hope they will have a takeout menu soon, as that is our typical dinner M.O. with two small children.

Could the owner of the takeout menus website please let us know when they get the menu up? Thank you!

Also, the 5 Monument Square building is looking great - they have spiffed it up with a new paint job, awnings, and other little touches which really ad curb appeal!
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
Paugus Bay Resident

jrc, the sign where Cranberries was does indeed say massages
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean
I saw the ad for the new Bistro in a Lakes Region newspaper insert and did a double-take at the combination of the words "Alton" and "Bistro"! I know people like the restaurants here in town, but unless you like fried food, fast food, chinese, or REALLY expensive, there isn't much here.

I haven't been able to try this place yet, because they have not been open both nights we've been able to get away from the kids and attempt it (a Sunday and Monday), but I took a peek at the menu and it looked great. I hope they will have a takeout menu soon, as that is our typical dinner M.O. with two small children.

Could the owner of the takeout menus website please let us know when they get the menu up? Thank you!

Also, the 5 Monument Square building is looking great - they have spiffed it up with a new paint job, awnings, and other little touches which really ad curb appeal!
I can't speak for the owners of Main Street Bistro, but their menu in the evenings doesn't seem to lend itself to take out. I guess anything can be put into styrofoam, but I'm not sure I would want the chicken marsala that way .

As far as 5 Monument Sq is concerned, I really hate to see one of our historic building's front area of grass turned into a parking lot with signs. When the Legion was there, the grass area was maintained as just that...a lawn in front of the building that complimented the monument island. Now, it is simply an area of grass that is being destroyed by parking on it. Not my idea of beautifying the downtown area.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
pmj

Unhappy Alton Main St Cafe & Bistro

Well, we tried the Alton Bistro for dinner and came out disappointed. The atmosphere and service were very good. The food was hot. The fresh steamed vegies (a la carte) were very good.
The disappointment came with the flavor..chicken marsala was very bland and the chicken was very dry.
My husband had the meat lasagna. It was very very bland.The tomato sauce seemed like out of a can. He was still hungry after we left the restaurant.
The bread served with the balsamic/oil dip was moist but I doubt if it was homemade....sort of tasted like wonder bread.
Dessert was chocolate cake..huge piece but very very rich. It was more frosting than cake.

The prices weren't bad and we may try it again, knowing they are just getting off their feet. I am hoping they spice up the food a bit more. The decor is very nice, very bistro-like.

Last edited by pmj; 11-19-2006 at 06:29 AM.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
riverat

Default First visit a disappointment

We went there last week and also were disappointed. My Wife and I had the Pork loin special, which was 2 good sized slices of pork loin that was roasted than sliced about 3/4" thick and than seared on both sides when ordered, unfortunately it was overcooked and dry. It came with a modest serving of chunky mashed potatoes which were tasty and good, and grilled vegies(zuchini, squash, onions) We got seconds on the bread and dipping sauce(balsalmic vinegar, oil and herbs) very addictive. I had a slice of the carrot cake which was very good. Our dining friend had Eggplant Parmesian and love the eggplant, but was disappointed in the sauce, she likes more sauce than chunks of tomatoes(but that's just her preference. Overall she was satisfied.
So we were disappointed but we will try again later, the prices were not bad and atmosphere and service were fine.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
jellybean

Thumbs up

When you have two toddlers, you aren't snobby about your take-out. I have been known to haul takeout home in a box from Concord (when I'm out of town on business) and reheat it when I get here !

Speaking of takeout, I picked up takeout there for the first time tonight. We got the two specials: stuffed shells with a lobster sauce, and rock shrimp ravioli. Yum yum! We also got the cheddar broccoli soup. They were both excellent, and we paid $15 less than it would cost us for chinese takeout. There weren't any extras like bread or veggies, but I am definitely full.

It may not be as great as other restaurants around the lake, but I think it's a wonderful addition to Alton.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #16
mcdude

I was contacted by the new owner of this fine establishment, Scott, who sent along the menu and asked if I would post it! I always thought that eventually I'd get into some kind of trouble for posting these non-copyrighted menus without permission ......but what do I know! I'll be working with Scott to develop a web page and will certainly provide a link in the future. In the meantime....here's the menu....

Main Street Cafe and Bistro Menu

Breakfast Menu to follow soon.....

Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #17
mcdude

new menu...new web page.... MAIN STREET CAFE and BISTRO (a work in progress)

Good Luck Scott and Crew!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #18
upthesaukee

Default Nice job, McD!!!!

Nice website, McD. We have enjoyed several meals there now, and I am pleased to say that I am the first to sign into the guest book on the website. Continued good luck to MSC&B.